• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Groof

Yes because a dialer does as many things as google voice search and everyone talks on their smartphones everyday.

Its personal preference and most are probably going to lean away from the dialer these days
Personal preference yes, and I hope the System UI thing will provide customisation for the lock screen.

But honestly, comparatively I've used voice search a fraction of the times I use the dialer. Some people do still make calls and I do it on a frequent enough basis that the shortcut was handy. I don't think I'm alone in that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Personal preference yes, and I hope the System UI thing will provide customisation for the lock screen.

But honestly, comparatively I've used voice search a fraction of the times I use the dialer. Some people do still make calls and I do it on a frequent enough basis that the shortcut was handy. I don't think I'm alone in that.

I think he means that you can make a call with the voice search, as well as search. Whereas with the dialer you can only dial.

That said, I echo your sentiment that we should have options.

Sora_N

What are these rumours?

All these new rumors of the Note 5 are scaring me, I don't want a closed off architecture. :(

Glass back like s6/edge so no removable battery scares me but I am intrigued from what I hear about the s6 touchwiz experience. Anyone know if touchwiz got the same fix/upgrade lately on note 4?

I want a note for upgrade this year but waiting on note 5 news to see if I should just get a note 4.

Groof

I think he means that you can make a call with the voice search, as well as search. Whereas with the dialer you can only dial.

I know that. I should've maybe said that I'm not the type to talk to my phone in public like that.

Sid

Glass back like s6/edge so no removable battery scares me but I am intrigued from what I hear about the s6 touchwiz experience. Anyone know if touchwiz got the same fix/upgrade lately on note 4?

I want a note for upgrade this year but waiting on note 5 news to see if I should just get a note 4.
Note 4's TW got a significant upgrade but it isn't as smooth as it's on the S6.

Yeah I tried to edit to reflect that but didn't in time. Totally agree with the customization.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Note 4's TW got a significant upgrade but it isn't as smooth as it's on the S6.

Performance took a huge hit, especially in multi tasking. I wish they had taken the time to optimize and released it with 5.1 this summer rather than the garbage that is 5.01.

Sid

Performance took a huge hit, especially in multi tasking. I wish they had taken the time to optimize and released it with 5.1 this summer rather than the garbage that is 5.01.
Multi tasking is a bit faster compared to KK in my experience,the only thing which has been worse than KK so far is Chrome sometimes crashing on image heavy pages.

Its hilarious how many fucking babies there are out there complaining that Motorola didnt put 5.0 on their phones in favor of 5.1.

I don't know how I feel about some of the changes Google made for Android m&m. The vertical scrolling for the apps drawer looks disorientating. And the volume controls...

Toki767

I don't know how I feel about some of the changes Google made for Android m&m. The vertical scrolling for the apps drawer looks disorientating. And the volume controls...

The scrolling will be fixed by a launcher anyway. I think Nova already allows you to pick between horizontal and vertical scrolling.

I finally caved and decided on a Galaxy S6. Now I have to for the first time ever deal with carrier crap and bloatware. This is uncharted territory for me. I can't believe I've avoided it for so long.

The scrolling will be fixed by a launcher anyway. I think Nova already allows you to pick between horizontal and vertical scrolling.
True enough. I have been using stock on my Moto X but Nova is a great launcher so if need be, I'll hope on that.
I finally caved and decided on a Galaxy S6. Now I have to for the first time ever deal with carrier crap and bloatware. This is uncharted territory for me. I can't believe I've avoided it for so long.
U4_E3_1920x1080.jpg

The primary reason is I need a good phone with a quality camera since I have kids. I try to use my DSLR whenever possible, but there are always times when the phone is on hand and the camera isn't. I currently have an HTC One M7, and if it wasn't for the fact that the camera is defective with that purple haze issue, I probably wouldn't upgrade. So right now the S6 seems to be the best current Android phone that doesn't screw up the camera. I'd considered going back to iOS, but there are a few things on Android that I still like that Apple hasn't caught up on yet.

As a fellow S6 owner. You have my deepest apologies.

Ugh, why? What do you hate about it? It's not too late for me to cancel....

clav

The primary reason is I need a good phone with a quality camera since I have kids. I try to use my DSLR whenever possible, but there are always times when the phone is on hand and the camera isn't. I currently have an HTC One M7, and if it wasn't for the fact that the camera is defective with that purple haze issue, I probably wouldn't upgrade. So right now the S6 seems to be the best current Android phone that doesn't screw up the camera. I'd considered going back to iOS, but there are a few things on Android that I still like that Apple hasn't caught up on yet.

Did you take a look at the LG G4?

I'm in the same boat (i.e. phone upgrade), but I think I'm going to wait for this year's Nexus.

I don't think I can go to any other OS unless it has a f.lux equivalent.

BigAT

It's getting to be upgrade time for me. I really don't pay attention to phone news between upgrades, so I come looking for advice.

Seems like the S6 is pretty popular, are the differences between the S5 and the S6 substantial enough that it is worth the extra $100? The reduction in battery time for the S6 is a bit worrisome as someone that currently has a Razr MAXX. Is the G4 better than both of them? Not even considering the S6 Edge because I don't care about the cosmetic stuff.

Don't know where else to ask this, is the difference between the Xperia Z3 and Z1 worth £12 a month?

Eligible for an upgrade, but would lose the new customer offer I've had for the last 2 years with Three

Never upgraded before, what do I do with the Z1?

Toki767

It's getting to be upgrade time for me. I really don't pay attention to phone news between upgrades, so I come looking for advice.

Seems like the S6 is pretty popular, are the differences between the S5 and the S6 substantial enough that it is worth the extra $100? The reduction in battery time for the S6 is a bit worrisome as someone that currently has a Razr MAXX. Is the G4 better than both of them? Not even considering the S6 Edge because I don't care about the cosmetic stuff.

It's absolutely worth the extra $100 for the camera alone.

I've never had issues going a day (7AM to 1AM) using my phone as I normally do which is around 3 hours of screen on time during that time. Though fast charging in a sense really does make that a non-issue particularly if you have an office job.

The G4 is also a great choice and is cheaper. Either phone seems to be good. Just go with which one you like better.

Anth1888

Don't know where else to ask this, is the difference between the Xperia Z3 and Z1 worth £12 a month?

Eligible for an upgrade, but would lose the new customer offer I've had for the last 2 years with Three

Never upgraded before, what do I do with the Z1?

Are you ordering straight with your network? Your much better looking at third party stores in buying new contracts, to me at least there's no such thing as 'upgrading/retention' deals in the UK now, just get your PAC code and look elsewhere. What's your budget on the Z3/what are Three offering?

And you can keep your Z1 or sell it - FYI I have a Z1 currently.

I'm finished my contract with EE and they offered me jack shit, waiting for the Nexus 2015 though and going SIM free for a bit.

The battery life is below average. Not only is the SOT bad but the standby isnt good either. The standby may get a little better when it gets android 5.1.1 though.

To Samsungs credit everything on 5.0 has bad battery.

tmac456

Contract ends Wednesday and I'm so ready to get rid of this POS wifi-less s4 but I have no idea wtf I'm going to do. Questioning if I even want to stay with AT&T

HALP

Toki767

G4 and S6 are actually the same price for me right now through Verizon.

Oh I meant off contract I believe the G4 is something like $100 cheaper.

Obviously on contract everything is the same price (lol Moto X originally being $200 on contract)

Did you take a look at the LG G4?

I'm in the same boat (i.e. phone upgrade), but I think I'm going to wait for this year's Nexus.

I don't think I can go to any other OS unless it has a f.lux equivalent.

I did. I checked one out at Best Buy which for some reason they seem to have pulled them all out now so I can't go back to play with it anymore. The size was pushing it for me. Heck my current phone size I feel is borderline too big so going bigger isn't ideal. Also from all accounts, despite having a bigger battery, the battery life isn't any better than the S6. I'm also not a fan of on screen buttons, but that's not a deal killer for me. Plus, the lack of fingerprint sensor also didn't help. No wireless charging either and I wasn't clicking with the back side buttons. Certainly the SD card slot on the G4 was appealing to me though. It just seemed like the G4 wasn't pulling ahead of the S6 for me. I wish I could play around with it again though.

The battery life is below average. Not only is the SOT bad but the standby isnt good either. The standby may get a little better when it gets android 5.1.1 though.

To Samsungs credit everything on 5.0 has bad battery.

By all accounts, it sounds like the S6 should have similar battery life as my HTC One M7 which I'm okay with. The addition of quick charging will also offset that to me. From what I could gather, it wasn't that the battery life was poor, it was just average. Is it really that bad? It seems like opinions are all over the place on the battery life.

Toki767

By all accounts, it sounds like the S6 should have similar battery life as my HTC One M7 which I'm okay with. The addition of quick charging will also offset that to me. From what I could gather, it wasn't that the battery life was poor, it was just average. Is it really that bad? It seems like opinions are all over the place on the battery life.

I could probably push 4+ hours on the S6 if I non-stop had the screen on doing web browsing and all that.

The standby time seems to be what's killing it. As soon as I approach like 18 hours of standby, my screen was basically only on for an hour or two.

Granted all my other phones act the same way. Battery life isn't absolutely horrible, it's just less than desired.

manfestival

The battery life kills the experience for me. If you can live with that, then it is a pretty nifty phone. I am keeping jump because I know I will want a new phone in a year mainly because of the battery

Are you ordering straight with your network? Your much better looking at third party stores in buying new contracts, to me at least there's no such thing as 'upgrading/retention' deals in the UK now, just get your PAC code and look elsewhere. What's your budget on the Z3/what are Three offering?

And you can keep your Z1 or sell it - FYI I have a Z1 currently.

I'm finished my contract with EE and they offered me jack shit, waiting for the Nexus 2015 though and going SIM free for a bit.

Yeah this is straight though Three, my current contract was with Three through a third-party site

Can I do that again to go with Three, or would I have to change provider as well?

Top Bottom