• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Tbh, I'd only want a fingerprint sensor on a Nexus 6 if it was on the sides or back. Don't want that small bezel ruined.

167.gif

Hasney

Memory leak is still in M. Nexus 6 takes a couple of days, but the UI redraws came back and opening any app has a massive lag to it. Gah, was so hopeful.

NotBacon

Memory leak is still in M. Nexus 6 takes a couple of days, but the UI redraws came back and opening any app has a massive lag to it. Gah, was so hopeful.

I think I've seen 2 redraws. Total. Since I received my N6.
Just not a thing my phone does *shrug*.

3phemeral

Just got this for my first gen Moto X on Verizon. Is it Lollipop? I'm about to update.

*Crosses fingers*

[edit]

Nope! Just a generic update. For shame.

While I'd take a back fingerprint scanner over nothing, I unlock my S6 and iPhone 6 a whole lot while it's sitting on a table/desk.
I wouldn't mind the back for a scanner but yeah I also do this a lot.

Also does Android Pay really require an internet connection? If so....fail. I think I read that somewhere. Is that right?

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah, I just realised how thin the sides are without the case on! Just the back, it could be in the Moto dimple.

Wasn't that the original plan on the N6? I can't remember where I read that but it said something along the lines of Moto not being able to use the company Apple used for the fingerprint sensor and they didn't like the tech used on the S5 so instead just put the Moto logo in place instead.

Could all be BS of course but I'm excited to see what Nexus has in store this year but i'm not too keen on going down in size.

I am a little sad I don't have a fingerprint sensor, probably the only thing I like about my iPhone 6. The N6 camera is far from mediocre though. The software just needs some polish and the video focusing is annoying. Other than that, it takes better pics than the iPhone 8/10 times.
As for the size, go big or go home ;)

The camera got a little better on the M build. it no longer makes the N6 do a pre flash before taking the actual shot....I dunno how many times i've went to take a picture and people thought the first flash was the picture being taken so moved only for the phone then to take the pic all messed up lol

Hasney

I wouldn't mind the back for a scanner but yeah I also do this a lot.

Also does Android Pay really require an internet connection? If so....fail. I think I read that somewhere. Is that right?

Yup, nothing can be done really. iPhone has a special chip for it while Android does computation in the cloud. I guess phones will be able to add secure element into their phones, but they literally couldn't make it work with current phones.

Yup, nothing can be done really. iPhone has a special chip for it while Android does computation in the cloud. I guess phones will be able to add secure element into their phones, but they literally couldn't make it work with current phones.
eyes....rolling. Google better be talking to OEMs to make that standard.

Reason# 21312 google needs to start making their own nexus device every year.

xgre

Neo Member
So I was getting dressed while listening to a video and noticed that my screen was getting all green. I thought it was the video but realized that it wasn't full screen, by that time it was too late. Now I cant do anything, it turns on and is responsive, but I can't see anything. I've tried rebooting it and it just stays as is. It's a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and I didn't have any previous issues
11110250_864312956995588_1646911625045116412_n.jpg

Husker86

Are you positive that this applies to the new Android Pay? I thought I heard the presenter say that a connection wasn't required during the Android Pay I/O session. He was specifically saying how requiring a connection is bad for user experience.

They are using the SIM secure element I thought, which is why they have to work with the carriers.

So I was getting dressed while listening to a video and noticed that my screen was getting all green. I thought it was the video but realized that it wasn't full screen, by that time it was too late. Now I cant do anything, it turns on and is responsive, but I can't see anything. I've tried rebooting it and it just stays as is. It's a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and I didn't have any previous issues
11110250_864312956995588_1646911625045116412_n.jpg

dat multi-window

Also when did app icons get so goddamn big. I feel like I missed the transition. They were normal one day and then they just blew up.

I also started to notice this recently, so I changed the dpi on my OPO. Its probably the best tweak I've ever applied, everything looks sharper and more compact. Home screens look a lot less ugly too, what with icons not dominating the display.

Shame you need to root to be able to do this, it should be something that can be controlled via settings. :/

I also started to notice this recently, so I changed the dpi on my OPO. Its probably the best tweak I've ever applied, everything looks sharper and more compact. Home screens look a lot less ugly too, what with icons not dominating the display.

Shame you need to root to be able to do this, it should be something that can be controlled via settings. :/

Yeah, at least its something you can change with launchers.

Icon size and spacing was one of the first things I changed when I got Nova Launcher.

Dawg

Is it still worth buying a Z3? They are €500 here and I need a fast phone with EXCELLENT battery life.

I currently have a Nexus 5 which is getting really slow/old.

Borman

Is it still worth buying a Z3? They are €500 here and I need a fast phone with EXCELLENT battery life.

Im still torn between buying one now and waiting for the Z3+. On one hand, the Z3+ has a better front facing camera and no USB flap, but it seems like the battery life will be noticeably less. Ugh. Cant decide.

That's the biggest issue I have with Android - there isn't a single device that sticks out for me. A more premium Nexus 5, but smaller than the Nexus 6, would have been ideal. Most are just ugly.

Moto X 2015 or possibly the new Nexus 5 seem like they could end up being good choices for you. Those are the two I am waiting for.

The s6 is an awesome phone except for two major flaws. Shitty battery life and s-voice is used for the phone's always on voice commands instead of google. The latter you didn't have with iOS anyway unless it was charging.

Aiii

So not worth it

Z3 is excellent, 3GB of RAM with a Snapdragon 801 is just fine for another year or two, really no reason to pay 200 more for the Z3+ imo.

I too had a Nexus 5 before the Z3 btw.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So the app drawer is verticle but the folders are horizontal. Le goog:

[IG]http://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/nexus2cee_GNL2.gif[/IMG]
Honestly I love the new vertical app drawer and I love the horizontal scroll folders.
Reasoning:
I hate finding shit in the app drawer. Which us why I never use it. I have every app I use organized in folders right on my home screen. There are rare times when I do go into the app drawer and I just hate having a list that is sorted alphabetically scroll horizontally without any reference to where I am in the alphabet, so I find it takes significantly longer to find the app I'm looking for. It also doesn't make sense because when you install a new app everything moves around which means page 3 no longer has the app right where is was before. Thus the new vertical scroll that is separated by alphabet letter is brilliant. It's fast to find the M's and then spot the app. Its a sorted list, that should be an infinite scroll downward. It just makes sense.

Moving on to the folders. Since I do organize all my apps into home screen folders, the folders get full. I need to fit more in the folder, and I need to be able to organize them into an order I decide. This is where horizontal scrolling comes in, the first page will have the apps I use most, in the order I want, while the second page allows overflow of apps that still fit the category that I just use less. The home screens themselves scroll horizontally and this is because the home screens are also user defined, they aren't an sorted list. So naturally the organization will have the important stuff first and you can swipe to the next page where everything you use less exists just as you left it.

Tldr;
Vertical scrolling is for sorted lists. Pages don't make sense if they will change their order because they're auto sorted.
Horizontal scrolling works as pages, and pages are things that should always have the thing you placed there in the same spot every time you return to that page.

Have there been any benchmarks on the G4 battery other than the GSMarena one? Getting mixed signals from various reviews and battery life is key for me, but I gotta be honest, I do like that leather back.

Dawg

Z3 is excellent, 3GB of RAM with a Snapdragon 801 is just fine for another year or two, really no reason to pay 200 more for the Z3+ imo.

I too had a Nexus 5 before the Z3 btw.

Was the upgrade significant for you? My Nexus 5 battery drops way too quick these days.

Finally, my upgrade period has arrived! But I've been so out of the loop. Verizon's upgrades suck but through Amazon I can get Galaxy S5, HTC M8, and some others for $1. I'm going from an iPhone 4 and would like a bigger screen, nicer camera, and better battery. I hear the HTC models get a little hot while the Galaxy phones, while kind of cheap feeling have better cameras and features.

So many different and conflicting opinions across these phones though.

Finally, my upgrade period has arrived! But I've been so out of the loop. Verizon's upgrades suck but through Amazon I can get Galaxy S5, HTC M8, and some others for $1. I'm going from an iPhone 4 and would like a bigger screen, nicer camera, and better battery. I hear the HTC models get a little hot while the Galaxy phones, while kind of cheap feeling have better cameras and features.

So many different and conflicting opinions across these phones though.
You could check out the G3 as well. Amazon had it for a penny at one point. Not sure what the upgrade pricing is on there now. Maybe look at the Note 3 or 4 too, if they're in your price range.

NotBacon

Honestly I love the new vertical app drawer and I love the horizontal scroll folders.

The only thing I don't like are the stickied apps at the top of the drawer. Looks like clutter. If I use an app a lot it's going to be on my homescreen anyway.

Will do :) Yeah it's still a whopping cent. I think the Notes might be too big for me.

Try Note 4 and Nexus 6 anyways. Hold them in your hand and give them a whirl. They're still the best phones out right now by a bit.

All of the smaller phones have one compromise or another. Which is fine if there is a compromise you can make...

Sch1sm

Do you guys use any apps to backup to PC? Ive never done so but would like to before i switch phones this week

Well, if it isn't the same device nandroid is out of the question. What do you need to backup? App data? Photos?

This is exactly why I leave everything in the cloud.

NotBacon

Do you guys use any apps to backup to PC? Ive never done so but would like to before i switch phones this week

Depends on the type of backup you need. If you just need photos/contacts/SMS backed up, then just use Google Photos, Google Contacts, and 'SMS Backup and Restore'.

Top Bottom