• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Anth1888

Yeah this is straight though Three, my current contract was with Three through a third-party site

Can I do that again to go with Three, or would I have to change provider as well?

Yeah your better off starting as a new customer if Three offer you nothing.

Just get your PAC code when cancelling and its live for 30 days and you can switch to whatever network you want (even go back to Three) includes SIM free or PAYG as well just give the new network your code and you get to keep your old number.

I'm in the same boat as you but to me my Z1 still works perfectly and see no reason to upgrade yet, probably wait for Sony's new flagship/Nexus 2015.

Yeah your better off starting as a new customer if Three offer you nothing.

Just get your PAC code when cancelling and its live for 30 days and you can switch to whatever network you want (even go back to Three) includes SIM free or PAYG as well just give the new network your code and you get to keep your old number.

I'm in the same boat as you but to me my Z1 still works perfectly and see no reason to upgrade yet, probably wait for Sony's new flagship/Nexus 2015.

When is Sony's new flagship supposed to be out in the UK?

My Z1 slows down badly after 20mins or so of continuous use

Anth1888

When is Sony's new flagship supposed to be out in the UK?

My Z1 slows down badly after 20mins or so of continuous use

For the Z3+ I think they just said June, but looking around reviews the Z3 actually seems to be the better phone. Mobilephonesdirect currently have the G4 for £26 p/m on Vodafone and I've been tempted to order it.

For the Z3+ I think they just said June, but looking around reviews the Z3 actually seems to be the better phone. Mobilephonesdirect currently have the G4 for £26 p/m on Vodafone and I've been tempted to order it.

Cheers, will look into it tomorrow

Hope the file transfer stuff works properly

I could probably push 4+ hours on the S6 if I non-stop had the screen on doing web browsing and all that.

The standby time seems to be what's killing it. As soon as I approach like 18 hours of standby, my screen was basically only on for an hour or two.

Granted all my other phones act the same way. Battery life isn't absolutely horrible, it's just less than desired.

This is what I always hear so it implies that it's not any better anywhere else which is why I finally caved. I've been trying to decide on this for the last month so it's been a tough decision and the battery was certainly of concern, but it's hard to tell how bad it is without knowing usage habits and stuff. When enough people said it's about the same as other phones then to me that made it seemed a bit overblown.

Is the standby time an issue of TouchWiz or Lollipop? I hear all sorts of people complaining about Lollipop for battery life so it seems I'd be screwed on any current phone if that's the case.

What's the phone to get then that is about 5" in screen size, good battery life, and doesn't have an average or mediocre camera?

Toki767

This is what I always hear so it implies that it's not any better anywhere else which is why I finally caved. I've been trying to decide on this for the last month so it's been a tough decision and the battery was certainly of concern, but it's hard to tell how bad it is without knowing usage habits and stuff. When enough people said it's about the same as other phones then to me that made it seemed a bit overblown.

Is the standby time an issue of TouchWiz or Lollipop? I hear all sorts of people complaining about Lollipop for battery life so it seems I'd be screwed on any current phone if that's the case.

What's the phone to get then that is about 5" in screen size, good battery life, and doesn't have an average or mediocre camera?

Honestly feels like a Lollipop issue. My G3 standby was basically similar. And by all accounts of the G4 it's the same thing.

There's always hope for Android M though I guess.

Husker86

Stick with the S6, manfestival has been shitting on it since it came out.

I'm banking on Lollipop (5.0 at least) being the culprit for battery drain. Samsung has historically had good standby times.

Hasney

Stick with the S6, manfestival has been shitting on it since it came out.

I'm banking on Lollipop (5.0 at least) being the culprit for battery drain. Samsung has historically had good standby times.

Does the S series? The S4 was horrendous in standby.

clav

S3 standby is OK here although I think that's because of KitKat.

I don't really see the need for upgrade outside of not getting the latest update.

Don't know when Google will stop ignoring the update problem elephant in the room.

Seems like the only current solution is Nexus, but when the hardware is not on par, you wonder the decision making behind the engineering + management process.

What are the downsides of cricket? Gonna have to look into it

No Roaming and 8 Mbps on LTE. Also gotta pay full price for your phone.

Considering its ATT towers it is totally worth it for the price. Only 35 bucks a month for 2.5 GB (45 for 5 GB) and throttled after that. Each additional line discounts you down even more.

Anth1888

Vodafone are dreadful though.

Every network is the same in my eyes regarding CS, although Vodafone are now the only network not increasing prices mid contract (in line with inflation). Three just joined EE and O2 in doing that with Voda the only network opting out - how long for, time will tell.

I've gone SIM only anyway.

Hey, guys. First post in here as I've just bought a Galaxy S6 after having an iPhone for the past five years. So making the switch will probably be pretty daunting but hopefully I can get used to it quick. I wanted to ask if there is any software I can use to backup / transfer files from my iPhone to my PC and then to my S6? Mainly I want to save my notes and maybe my iTunes playlists. Sorry for any noob questions as this will be my first time ever having an Android device. Excited though! Thanks to anyone who can offer info / tips for making the switch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Guys, M on my N6 is fantastic. I regret nothing. If you aren't already using M, you're probably a horrible person.

wilflare

what browser are you guys using?
I'm using Chrome for Android (beta)
but I'm thinking of switching over to Firefox for Android just so I can use uBlock Origin :/

not sure if I want to install a separate apk for ABP

otapnam

Well, if it isn't the same device nandroid is out of the question. What do you need to backup? App data? Photos?

This is exactly why I leave everything in the cloud.

Depends on the type of backup you need. If you just need photos/contacts/SMS backed up, then just use Google Photos, Google Contacts, and 'SMS Backup and Restore'.

Yeah i guess the built in back up might be enough ? the G4 should be arriving in a few days, just want to get ahead of any problems that might come up

Eanan

I just found out about the Google play music exporter app. Where has this been all my life. Such a well made app also.

Groof

Those using M on the nexus 6, are there apps that aren't working?
Most apps I use on a regular basis work just fine. There are some that don't though. Fleksy crashed when logging in but now it's fine. A local bus app just stops while booting and the Sony PlayMemories app is a bit buggy but works overall.

So there are some issues here and there but for the most part it's fine.

scently

Allows you to export cached tracks from google music with all metadata intact to your SD card or wherever in 320kps mp3.

Handy for those that use a different music player and yes, works with Play music all access...

What's the name of the app?

but I'm thinking of switching over to Firefox for Android just so I can use uBlock Origin :/

i use Chrome beta everywhere including desktop unless i'm looking at non-youtube video then i use opera browser for android b/c of it's video player

Quick question regarding the rumored Nexus flagships ... the LG one, can we expect a (basically) LG G4 with Nexus branding, some minor changes (like no SD card and mediocre camera, as usual) and stock Android, likely with the new M version?

Thinking about making an upgrade from my Nexus 5, as much as i like the phone, it is showing some wear and tear. The G4 does look quite promising, especially considering that i tend to use my phones rather long, and the performance drop of the Snapdragon 810 looks hefty.

Husker86

Quick question regarding the rumored Nexus flagships ... the LG one, can we expect a (basically) LG G4 with Nexus branding, some minor changes (like no SD card and mediocre camera, as usual) and stock Android, likely with the new M version?

Thinking about making an upgrade from my Nexus 5, as much as i like the phone, it is showing some wear and tear. The G4 does look quite promising, especially considering that i tend to use my phones rather long, and the performance drop of the Snapdragon 810 looks hefty.

I'd hope we can expect a fingerprint scanner as well.

I'd hope we can expect a fingerprint scanner as well.
Well, yeah, i think that is definitely possible, considering that M seems to got a native API for such a scanner.
Although it is possible that the rumored Huawei one will have a scanner, this one is rumored to be the bleeding-edge one, while the LG one is more stripped down and in line of the Nexus 5.

Hasney

terrier

Well, yeah, i think that is definitely possible, considering that M seems to got a native API for such a scanner.
Although it is possible that the rumored Huawei one will have a scanner, this one is rumored to be the bleeding-edge one, while the LG one is more stripped down and in line of the Nexus 5.

in one of those videos from Google I/O a 'custom' Nexus 5 with a scanner was shown. Maybe was just fake to make the video but....

Finger print scanners need to evolve and be included in the screen, or the back just like Huawei did. Otherways a big bezel is needed...

popeutlal

Habit Browser, it'll make your head explode when you see the number of options it has. Everything this is customizable.

Lenovo announced a new watch... But it's not a 360 2, it's Lenovo magic View

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/wearables/lenovo-magic-view-smartwatch-concept-1295493/review

Basically a regular smartwatch, but then there's a prisim on the underside of the screen for a second screen that kind of projects and it much larger than a watch screen. It's a concept, but I don't like how they prototype some future tech and then it's still got that flat fricking tyre.

man that's ugly as fuck

kharma45

Every network is the same in my eyes regarding CS, although Vodafone are now the only network not increasing prices mid contract (in line with inflation). Three just joined EE and O2 in doing that with Voda the only network opting out - how long for, time will tell.

I've gone SIM only anyway.

It's not just CS. it's their speeds and pricing too.

EmiPrime

People were reporting Android Wear not working at all on M. Just ordered a G watch R so if that's the case, I'll be downgrading.

It seems like it depends on the watch, with the Moto 360 having the most problems. Guess we'll find out when we get our watches!

Hasney

It does also depend on the phone, since someone here has been reporting the Nexus 5 has bluetooth completely buggered. My bluetooth headphones are still working, so I'll be optimistic for now.

Just to make sure, I can definitely cancel my contract with Three, then go back to them through a third-party site offering a cheaper rate?

Don't really understand the point of upgrade plans if its cheaper to do that

edit: looks like EE have the best offer, 5GB data, no cost for the phone, £32pm

What's the best way to go about timing it so the contracts don't overlap?

Right

So I have 30 days remaining with Three, and a PAC code

I want to order my new phone around June 23rd to allow delivery, PAC authorisation and minimal contract overlap, right?

edit: Would unlocking my current phone interfere with my current contract, and can I unlock it after my contract ends?

Top Bottom