• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Salsa

the auto animations on the assistant are cool

uploading pics from like 5 years ago and suddenly I get a gif from my niece when she was a baby from like 5 photos I absolutely forgot I took

sent it to my sister, she showed it to niece

im target-audiencing hard

Jigolo

15022434-z.jpg

15022434-c.jpg

https://translate.google.com/transl...QUMqaxD5pZefME%2bH%2bnKk9SbX97MmDB&edit-text=

Jigolo

The google music app is so shit, they need to completely overhaul that thing from the ground up.
I don't know how they did it with the new photos app but I'm happy it kind of overwrote the older app. Just came as an update through the play store without needing to DL a new app entirely.

Same thing needs to happen with music

I'm an Android only user, but I have friends and family with iPhones, and it's always struck me when interacting with iOS that tapping buttons, scrolling, swiping, etc. all have more "weight" on iOS than on Android. I don't know exactly how to describe it better, but iOS actions are more satisfying to the touch. Maybe part of that is that the phone itself is heavier than my Nexus. I think there's more to it than that though. I'm wondering if it's just a matter of tweaking animation timing and speed and acceleration, or if it's something with how the touchscreen feels?

Anyway, I hope it's something Google can match soon. It's the one thing that I like better in iOS -- and it's most apparent in the camera. On an iPhone when I tap to take a picture, I know instantly I took it. On my N5, I don't get as strong a feedback and taking a picture is not as satisfying.

Fatalah

I'm an Android only user, but I have friends and family with iPhones, and it's always struck me when interacting with iOS that tapping buttons, scrolling, swiping, etc. all have more "weight" on iOS than on Android. I don't know exactly how to describe it better, but iOS actions are more satisfying to the touch. Maybe part of that is that the phone itself is heavier than my Nexus. I think there's more to it than that though. I'm wondering if it's just a matter of tweaking animation timing and speed and acceleration, or if it's something with how the touchscreen feels?

Anyway, I hope it's something Google can match soon. It's the one thing that I like better in iOS -- and it's most apparent in the camera. On an iPhone when I tap to take a picture, I know instantly I took it. On my N5, I don't get as strong a feedback and taking a picture is not as satisfying.

Jump down the rabbit hole:
https://plus.google.com/+AndrewMunn/posts/VDkV9XaJRGS

Thanks. I think I knew about the native code rendering, but it only addresses the lag, right? iOS lags sometimes, depending on the device age and app, but it still has that "weight" in its interactions that Android doesn't. Like when I tap an on-screen button, or an app icon, or whatever, it feels like I'm moving something physical. It's probably just the design of the animations.

I gotta look at them side by side and try to pinpoint where the difference occurs.

Thanks. I think I knew about the native code rendering, but it only addresses the lag, right? iOS lags sometimes, depending on the device age and app, but it still has that "weight" in its interactions that Android doesn't. Like when I tap an on-screen button, or an app icon, or whatever, it feels like I'm moving something physical. It's probably just the design of the animations.

I gotta look at them side by side and try to pinpoint where the difference occurs.
I've actually noticed this before and have broke it down to the animations being the cause of this. Android apps just seem to pop up on your screen while iOS apps tend to open up when clicked on. But if you notice, games on ios don't seem to have such animations and makes opening up default apps a smoother experience by comparison. Try it, open up a game and then one of the default iOS apps.

Groof

the auto animations on the assistant are cool

uploading pics from like 5 years ago and suddenly I get a gif from my niece when she was a baby from like 5 photos I absolutely forgot I took

sent it to my sister, she showed it to niece

im target-audiencing hard
The new photos app is really good. A huge step up over the previous garbage. I'm actually using it now!

The album feature is also really good. So easy to pick out your favourite pics from a trip and share them with people. Love it.

Groof

There's a different music app other than Play Music, right? I love play music and if that started being fiddled around with, I'd have to end someone.
I don't know man. I'm in the hate it camp. Not only does it make poor use of material design, it's also a functional nightmare. The fact that 90% of the things a music app should do requires an internet connection is mind boggling.

NotBacon

I would have agreed with you around a year ago, but now with all of the optimization that came with Lollipop and the influx of material design apps, I couldn't disagree more...

Hasney

I don't know man. I'm in the hate it camp. Not only does it make poor use of material design, it's also a functional nightmare. The fact that 90% of the things a music app should do requires an internet connection is mind boggling.

Ah, I only use all access streaming rather than anything local so in terms of design and functionality, everything works as perfect as having such a large library would allow. Knowing Google, they'll just put another music app in there or something.

Groof

Ah, I only use all access streaming rather than anything local so in terms of design and functionality, everything works as perfect as having such a large library would allow. Knowing Google, they'll just put another music app in there or something.
Oh sure I do too. But I travel a fair bit so I run into these issues from time to time.
Like standard ass menus not loading because it needs a connection. Or not being able to queue songs if you're not online. It just makes me go ???????

Saiyan-Rox

So now that M has been announced its save to say no more updates to lollipop are likely after 5.1.1? N9 still needs fixing Google.

Aiii

So not worth it
It still closes apps in the background. Not as bad as it was on 5.0.2 but still an issue. Same with reloading chrome tabs it'll close those and still require a reload when you switch.

No software update in the world is gonna fix that the Nexus 9 is gimped by having only 2GB of RAM.

If anything, each update will decrease the RAM left to store those chrome tabs in.

So my gf just upgraded her s5 to lollipop. Since her phone doesn't have enough memory she moved all her photos and video to an sd card.
The problem is that after the upgrade all photos and vids in the sd card are gone.
The folders are present but no photos/vids.
Is there anyway to recover those files?

So my gf just upgraded her s5 to lollipop. Since her phone doesn't have enough memory she moved all her photos and video to an sd card.
The problem is that after the upgrade all photos and vids in the sd card are gone.
The folders are present but no photos/vids.
Is there anyway to recover those files?

Not if the card got wiped. Why isn't she just backing up with the google photos app?

Saiyan-Rox

Bought a watch cuff for my Moto 360 (decided against selling it for the SW3 a couple of weeks back) 22mm as moto and the current bands are and the damn thing won't lock in *bangshead*

finding it real difficult keeping this thing atm -_-

Hasney

Bought a watch cuff for my Moto 360 (decided against selling it for the SW3 a couple of weeks back) 22mm as moto and the current bands are and the damn thing won't lock in *bangshead*

finding it real difficult keeping this thing atm -_-

Yeah, that's what put me off the 360. Reading that standard watch straps were shit to get on and even if you do, you can crack the back.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah, that's what put me off the 360. Reading that standard watch straps were shit to get on and even if you do, you can crack the back.

Looks like the reason it won't lock in is because it has no gap in the leather for some bit of plastic where the strap goes :/ what a waste that was I even damaged the original strap getting it off ffs

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
But seriously, why is Netflix HD only available on such a small number of devices?

Making the jump to Android tomorrow with a Galaxy S6 Edge for the first time since I had a Droid X ages ago...kind of excited to not be so locked down in everything like I am in iOS.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't know how they did it with the new photos app but I'm happy it kind of overwrote the older app. Just came as an update through the play store without needing to DL a new app entirely.

Same thing needs to happen with music

Yeah Google Photos is probably the best app Google has made yet. It works so well and is incredibly focused on the things that matter (easy discovery, navigation and easy to understand options/menus).

MercuryLS

Banned
But seriously, why is Netflix HD only available on such a small number of devices?

It's the reason why I got a GS6E, it seems like Samsung, HTC and Nexus devices are the only ones Netflix gives a shit about when it comes to HD streams on Android.

Making the jump to Android tomorrow with a Galaxy S6 Edge for the first time since I had a Droid X ages ago...kind of excited to not be so locked down in everything like I am in iOS.

It's a great phone but it takes a bit of time to configure it properly (lots of duplicate apps from Samsung and Google). My only issues with it are the average battery life and weird memory management issues that still aren't resolved. For a device with 3gb or ram I should be seeing tab reloads as much as I do with light multitasking.

It's the reason why I got a GS6E, it seems like Samsung, HTC and Nexus devices are the only ones Netflix gives a shit about when it comes to HD streams on Android.

It's a great phone but it takes a bit of time to configure it properly (lots of duplicate apps from Samsung and Google). My only issues with it are the average battery life and weird memory management issues that still aren't resolved. For a device with 3gb or ram I should be seeing tab reloads as much as I do with light multitasking.

Yeah, the battery doesn't concern me too much...can't be worse than my ~3 year old Iphone 5.

Husker86

Can we all agree that Apple was right that 4:3 is the right aspect ratio for larger tablets? It's amazing to me how many large tablets are still 16:9, it just feels wrong to use those in portrait orientation.
Yes. It made me really sad that I couldn't bring myself to buy the Nexus 9 because of all the negativity regarding performance and build quality...I wanted it bad.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yes. It made me really sad that I couldn't bring myself to buy the Nexus 9 because of all the negativity regarding performance and build quality...I wanted it bad.

Yeah it's a shame, HTC fucked up with the build quality. It could have been a great high end Android competitor for the iPad Air 2.

I bought an iPad Air 2 and even though I've been a bit spoiled by the flexibility of Android, it's a wonderful device with an amazing ecosystem of apps/media. With 2gb of ram you can finally multitask and open lots of tabs with no reloads, and the power this thing has means that the thing never stutters or lags ever. It's so good that I'm considering ditching my laptop entirely and just using the iPad for entertainment and light work (which is what I use my laptop for mostly).

Unless you absolutely detest iOS, I would suggest you check it out. It's pretty great.

Can we all agree that Apple was right that 4:3 is the right aspect ratio for larger tablets? It's amazing to me how many large tablets are still 16:9, it just feels wrong to use those in portrait orientation.
Nope! 3:2 like the Surface and Pixel is the perfect screen ratio. 4:3 is far too square, and 16:10 is a bit to wide/narrow. However, 16:10 is perfect for small tablets like the Nexus 7. 3:2 strikes a great balance between the two extremes.

Husker86

Yeah it's a shame, HTC fucked up with the build quality. It could have been a great high end Android competitor for the iPad Air 2.

I bought an iPad Air 2 and even though I've been a bit spoiled by the flexibility of Android, it's a wonderful device with an amazing ecosystem of apps/media. With 2gb of ram you can finally multitask and open lots of tabs with no reloads, and the power this thing has means that the thing never stutters or lags ever. It's so good that I'm considering ditching my laptop entirely and just using the iPad for entertainment and light work (which is what I use my laptop for mostly).

Unless you absolutely detest iOS, I would suggest you check it out. It's pretty great.
I'm a multiplatform owner, always have an iPhone and Android phone, so I have no major issues with iOS (though I prefer Android). I'll probably get the next iPad mini, I definitely like the mini form factor over the full size; the mini refresh was a joke last year, though.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm a multiplatform owner, always have an iPhone and Android phone, so I have no major issues with iOS (though I prefer Android). I'll probably get the next iPad mini, I definitely like the mini form factor over the full size; the mini refresh was a joke last year, though.

Yeah I really like the mini form factor as well. Don't get one of those until they put 2gb of ram in it and laminate the screen. Those are major upgrades, especially the ram if you hop between lots of tabs and apps often.

Top Bottom