• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hindl

So I'm due for an upgrade, my Galaxy S3 is on it's last legs. I don't really want another Samsung phone, I've been eyeing the G4 lately. But it seems like later this year with USB-C and the possibility of new Nexus/HTC phones, I'll be getting a phone right before the tech jumps forward. Should I wait or just pick up a phone now?

clav

So I'm due for an upgrade, my Galaxy S3 is on it's last legs. I don't really want another Samsung phone, I've been eyeing the G4 lately. But it seems like later this year with USB-C and the possibility of new Nexus/HTC phones, I'll be getting a phone right before the tech jumps forward. Should I wait or just pick up a phone now?

That decision depends on your patience.

I'm in the same boat.

Going to choose to wait it out unless there's a really good deal on a non-contract phone.

HawkeyeIC

Maybe I'll pick up a 2nd gen Moto X when the new one comes out. I need a new phone, but this is looking like a skip year short of (maybe) one of the new Nexus or the Note 5.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The moto 360 is gone and got myself the Sony one. Kinda sad to see the moto go but it really was laggy and the wrist strap issue was the last straw.
Good decision.

Hindl

That decision depends on your patience.

I'm in the same boat.

Going to choose to wait it out unless there's a really good deal on a non-contract phone.

That's kinda my issue. I'd like to wait if I can, but my contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade so if it breaks it would just be cheaper to get a new phone. And the Galaxy could break at any time. I may just wait and see what happens

NotBacon

The Nexus 6 is $150 off, is that a good deal?

My main concerns are battery life and camera. I know there were some software updates, how does the camera compare now to something like the note 4? Is the battery life comparable to the note 4 kit Kat?

5.1 :
Camera takes amazing pictures (HDR+ is GOAT), but there's shutter lag sometimes and fast action shots don't always turn out so great.
Battery ranges from very average to really good. Really depends on your device and usage. I typically get ~5hr SoT.

M preview:
Apparently the camera app is quite a bit better. Not sure about battery life but Doze looks promising.

clav

That's kinda my issue. I'd like to wait if I can, but my contract is up and I'm due for an upgrade so if it breaks it would just be cheaper to get a new phone. And the Galaxy could break at any time. I may just wait and see what happens

What bothers me is the disappointing battery life on new phones. I don't consider a new phone an upgrade if I'm getting the same battery life.

Partially because of Lollipop and mostly because of hardware.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I won't buy a new device if if doesn't have USB C. It's now mandatory.

For what?

I wirelessly sync all my shit, and quick charge is fast already.

What do you NEED USB C for?

Honestly the finger print scanner is a better argument for needing.

McBryBry

My mom is considering switching phone companies. Last time, the decision was easy, I wanted Sony so I got a Z3v with Verizon. Now, not so much. The Nexus 6 and Note 4 look very tempting, as does the G4. But what's this talk of a tech jump? What is it and when are we expecting it?

TheRook

For what?

Future Proofing~

Not everyone likes to wirelessly sync data nor have a phone that has Quickcharge 2.0.

More than a handful of people do see that USB-C being the new standard a few years from now, if they are getting a phone with a 2 year contract, when that contract is up in 2017 presumably USB-C would be the standard in most devices...

I don't think people are wrong for wanting that in a phone now and days, also considering USB-C is reversible and potentially is faster than the current USB 3.1. I personally want a Nexus 5 with USB-C.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For what?

nah its not
It's the future. It would be like buying an hdtv ten years ago with no hdmi. Yeah, you can make it work, but why bother

yyzjohn

Banned
It's the future. It would be like buying an hdtv ten years ago with no hdmi. Yeah, you can make it work, but why bother

I get the point, but people turn over their phones way faster than something like a TV. If your phone this year doesn't have USB-C your next phone in the near future most likely will. Not a huge deal if you don't get it right away.

TheRook

I get the point, but people turn over their phones way faster than something like a TV. If your phone this year doesn't have USB-C your next phone in the near future most likely will. Not a huge deal if you don't get it right away.

Not everyone has that option...The average person on contract barely upgrades their phone after 2 years, it's been proven that people have 3 or 4 year old phones still in use. It's a big deal for those who don't frequently upgrade.

To me buying a phone is like buying any other electronic, you don't necessarily "want" to upgrade or replace it in a few years...I know I don't want to buy a gaming console very 2 years...do you?

Point is that not everyone has the ability to upgrade in a year or two so buying the right phone to last them for a few years is crucial.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My daughters friend lost her phone at school (possibly stolen). It had a passcode, but can it still be used and/or data taken off it? Eg hard reset or similar?

My daughters friend lost her phone at school (possibly stolen). It had a passcode, but can it still be used and/or data taken off it? Eg hard reset or similar?

Did she have Android Device Manager installed and active on it? That's the best way to locate/lock/wipe it remotely.

reKon

Banned
Xperia line getting 5.1 update in July.

Based Sony showing how its done.

I don't get it. Android-GAF has repeatedly told me that Sony doesn't update/support their flagship phones and that mobile division would be dead by this time.

:(

Eanan

I don't get it. Android-GAF has repeatedly told me that Sony doesn't update/support their flagship phones and that mobile division would be dead by this time.

:(
Dont listen to the naysayers. Come over and join us. I traded up to my Xperia Z2 from the OnePlus one and haven't looked back.

Even the Xperia Z from early 2013 is getting the update. Something something nexus phones support.

Now if only we could get the updated Camera2 on the Z2...

reKon

Banned
Dont listen to the naysayers. Come over and join us. I traded up to my Xperia Z2 from the OnePlus one and haven't looked back.

Even the Xperia Z from early 2013 is getting the update. Something something nexus phones support.

Now if only we could get the updated Camera2 on the Z2...

I own a Xperia Z3 Compact. I'm just playing around, haha

otapnam

just got my G4. wondering why charging is so slow with the included charger. this is the first charge though and some peeps say it happens. anyone with similar situation?

Hasney

I'll be tempted towards Sony of they're still around early 2017 and start bringing the Ultras to the west again.
just got my G4. wondering why charging is so slow with the included charger. this is the first charge though and some peeps say it happens. anyone with similar situation?

Just do the right thing and buy a quick charger. It supports it, they just packed it with a standard plug.

otapnam

Just do the right thing and buy a quick charger. It supports it, they just packed it with a standard plug.

oh yeah im definitely planning to get one - im just surprised how slow it is

If anyone has any recs im open to it , i just know to look for qualcomm 2.0 quick charge compatible?

For what?

reminds me of this guy in Walmart the other day... the look on his face when they told him to check the pawn shops because "even Gamestop doesn't sell PS2 games"

SxP

Xperia line getting 5.1 update in July.

Based Sony showing how its done.

Yeah, I'm very happy the news that even the original Z line will get it, obviously as final major update. Just installed the 5.0 update on my Xperia Z. I really like it other than the absolutely humongous application icons. And even Sony agrees, since in new builds for the Z3 they added an option to use smaller icons. And I guess the ugly Close All button, which they also quickly changed in a subsequent Z3 build.

sooooo:

[HTC] CEO Cher Wang apologized for the plunging stock price at the annual shareholder meeting, but said that we should all speak again in October, when the company will be releasing a "hero" device.

Riiiiight lol.

She does confirm that the new HTC Flagship next year though will feature a completely new design and innovative features.

Fatalah

Sooooo Moto X 3rd gen leak. Verizon variant will be 5.64 inches. Normal version will be 5.2. Both QHD.

0KBvXAh.png

The guy who leaked it was told the camera was "fucking amazing". We'll see about that. Could potentially come with Type-C port as well.

XFON2K15! The exterior might not be final, since Motorola tends to use temporary shells to hide final designs.

I'm excited, I hope Motorola sticks to its low price ideology.

Even HTC had to know releasing the same phone 3 years in a row was pushing it. I genuinely believe they couldn't afford to design a new phone. There's no other explanation. Especially when apple just redesigned and you knew samsung would too.

EmiPrime

The hangouts team always seem to working on some huge integration but never user experience. Its like they have one guy doing ui work while the other 100 are working on project fi integration right now.

It's getting quite infuriating, I don't know why Hangouts isn't a bigger priority to Google. It's not even close to where it should be by now. I feel like it has barely improved since Kitkat.

Top Bottom