• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I'm assuming low light improvements teased here for S6:

B9vx2ptIQAIv8yK.jpg

Basing your opinion on iOS version 1 or whatever might be a bit disingenuous. You can absolutely add your own ringtones.

okay, say somesite.net has an mp3 of the hot new (hot garbage) mixtape single whatever from the latest garbage southern rapper... how would someone [like my step-brother] go about making a ringtone on an iPhone 5C?

on his old Android phone, he would just download the file, open it in RIngDroid, clip it however he wants and then when he saves, the app would ask if he wanted to set it as a ringtone.

okay, say somesite.net has an mp3 of the hot new (hot garbage) mixtape single whatever from the latest garbage southern rapper... how would someone [like my step-brother] go about making a ringtone on an iPhone 5C?

on his old Android phone, he would just download the file, open it in RIngDroid, clip it however he wants and then when he saves, the app would ask if he wanted to set it as a ringtone.
meh unless something has changed, it's pretty easy if you're someone that knows how to use itunes well but for most people it's pretty obtuse. Not as easy as ringdroid.

they let you do that in iTunes now? how!?

There's 2 ways. One is to just right click the the mp3 in itunes and click"Create aac version" and then go to where the file is located and rename it from .m4a to .m4r and then drag it back into itunes and that's about it.

Another is to use a ringtone making app on the app store which creates the file which you plug into your phone get that file and then drag it into itunes. Basically does that first step for you.

edit: basically this for the first way.
edit 2: itunes on a computer lol. Hence why it's not easier than RingDroid.

There's 2 ways. One is to just right click the the mp3 in itunes and click"Create aac version" and then go to where the file is located and rename it from .m4a to .m4r and then drag it back into itunes and that's about it.

Another is to use a ringtone making app on the app store which creates the file which you plug into your phone get that file and then drag it into itunes. Basically does that first step for you.

edit: basically this for the first way.
edit 2: itunes on a computer lol. Hence why it's not easier than RingDroid.
on a computer? when did i even mention a computer? he doesn't have a computer. just an iPhone. WTF!?

he hs to be able to do it *on the phone* like he used to on Android.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ns-across-services-now-available-public-beta/

It really sucked when Facebook removed the functionality for Messenger to act as your proper texting client. This app seems to fill that hole. I've given it a go and have concurrent conversations with my daughter via text and my girlfriend via FB Messenger all in one app. I'm hoping this will have a decent effect on battery drain since it reduces the services running in the background.

Anyone else tried it? What did you think? Honestly I already miss chatheads and all the FB Messenger stickers but maybe it'll be worth it to save some battery and have everything all in one place.

Anybody know if the Galaxy S6/Note 5 will be 64-bit?

Knowing that Samsung is bringing Lollipop to my Note II makes me want to skip the Note 4 and just wait for Note 5 if it's 64-bit. I've already waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

Jigolo

Anybody know if the Galaxy S6/Note 5 will be 64-bit?

Knowing that Samsung is bringing Lollipop to my Note II makes me want to skip the Note 4 and just wait for Note 5 if it's 64-bit. I've already waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

Yes they will. S6 is rumored to use the Exynos 7420 which is a 14nm 64-bit chip.

Furyous

New S6 renders....

I'd buy this without touching it if it weren't made by Samsung. Me, absolute hater I am, would rather throw money at HTC, LG, or Sony than pay money to Samsung. Give me something different that's unique and not a blatant ripoff with respect to trade dress.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ns-across-services-now-available-public-beta/

It really sucked when Facebook removed the functionality for Messenger to act as your proper texting client. This app seems to fill that hole. I've given it a go and have concurrent conversations with my daughter via text and my girlfriend via FB Messenger all in one app. I'm hoping this will have a decent effect on battery drain since it reduces the services running in the background.

Anyone else tried it? What did you think? Honestly I already miss chatheads and all the FB Messenger stickers but maybe it'll be worth it to save some battery and have everything all in one place.

Fuck off, Disa. Just let people pay instead.

12. You agree to allow Disa to periodically and automatically collect analytics in respect to the usage of Disa software, your device build information, your system build information, and device location via a data connection in respect to the limitations of the privacy statement, and also for the purpose of but not limited to: (i) commercial sale of said collected analytics, data, and information;

VoxPop

Renders of HTC One M9 based on leaks which are all but confirmed at this point unless HTC are masters of trolling. Looks great. #HTCNexusPhone2015Believe:

I would absolutely buy the M9 if it looked like that and the camera wasn't a POS. The fine upgrade my M7 has been waiting for.

Sid

Did Samsung remove recent apps within multi window when going from Note 3 to 4 or can that be enabled in the settings?

thenexus6

So I've had my Moto G for two days now (2013 with 4G) and the battery has been extremely impressive. Only charged it once - compared to my Nexus 5 which I would've charged at least twice.

I've always thought 1440p screens on phones overkill, but maybe even 1080 is? I mean I think the 720p screen on the G is pretty good. Its very crisp for me eye, maybe thats because its slightly smaller than the Nexus 5.

Having just a 720p screen to get a much longer battery is a pretty good deal to me.

Hasney

720p on a 4.5" display is fine and anything else isn't really noticeable day to day. Once you hit 5", 1080p is noticeable and 5.5" and above, I do notice the qHD.

Danj

So as it's starting to seem like the Sony Xperia Z4 is going to be delayed till summer, I've been looking at what other new phones are coming out at MWC this year. The Samsung Galaxy S6 seems like a contender, anyone have any comments about Samsung's phones? Or are there other phones I should be looking at upgrading to? I want to upgrade before the end of April so that I can give my mom my old Xperia Z phone when I go to visit her.

720p on a 4.5" display is fine and anything else isn't really noticeable day to day. Once you hit 5", 1080p is noticeable and 5.5" and above, I do notice the qHD.
QHD you mean? qHD is quarter HD which is 540p.

So as it's starting to seem like the Sony Xperia Z4 is going to be delayed till summer, I've been looking at what other new phones are coming out at MWC this year. The Samsung Galaxy S6 seems like a contender, anyone have any comments about Samsung's phones? Or are there other phones I should be looking at upgrading to? I want to upgrade before the end of April so that I can give my mom my old Xperia Z phone when I go to visit her.
Everyone seems to be rooting for the HTC M9 so you can look out for that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
people say "Note 4 has TouchWiz" as a problem when compared to hardware decisions made by other manufacturers. wake up, the bootloader isn't locked* so you can get rid of it entirely.

*unless your carrier is shit.
Tell me more about this. I can rid of it without voiding warranty? How do I check if my carrier is on the shit list or not? (I'm on t-mo US)

Dropped my new Note 4 in the toilet last night. Dried it, took out the battery and the sim card, done a bunch of things. Phone turns on but the display only comes on briefly then shuts off. Any tips?

Talon

But honestly if you are heavily into the Google ecosystem you should be using Android anyway, even if iOS adds default app options.
Nope. How many times have we seen Google prioritize mobiles apps on iOS over Android? That gap between Gmail updates on the two platforms was about, what, 4 months last year?

Googy plz.

Also, get a kick out of the "Samsung and all metal chassis => Success" meme. Samsung is being squeezed at the higher margins and the lower margins. It's a market challenge.

Tell me more about this. I can rid of it without voiding warranty? How do I check if my carrier is on the shit list or not? (I'm on t-mo US)

Verizon and AT&T request that the bootloader be locked. iirc everywhere else you get one it's not locked. it definitely voids the warranty though.

Dropped my new Note 4 in the toilet last night. Dried it, took out the battery and the sim card, done a bunch of things. Phone turns on but the display only comes on briefly then shuts off. Any tips?

tips? next time get a Sony Xperia Z series waterproof mobile handset.

you were supposed to put it in a bag with rice for 48h before trying to turn it on again.

i guess you could try the rice thing still...

Nope. How many times have we seen Google prioritize mobiles apps on iOS over Android? That gap between Gmail updates on the two platforms was about, what, 4 months last year?

Googy plz.

Also, get a kick out of the "Samsung and all metal chassis => Success" meme. Samsung is being squeezed at the higher margins and the lower margins. It's a market challenge.

yeah, making a phone with *lower* margins totally makes sense!!! not to mention lower accessory sales since they won't be able to sell those $30 replacement batteries and $50 battery + battery charger kits for a device that has a sealed battery.

Googy plz.

Lol come on, the Gmail app on iOS is trash. It's so ugly and out of place on iOS. Not to mention how fucking janky it is. I have to resort to using Mailbox.

Wreav

Banned
Lol come on, the Gmail app on iOS is trash. It's so ugly and out of place on iOS. Not to mention how fucking janky it is. I have to resort to using Mailbox.
Janky as it is, emails are 1000 times more readable on iOS. Soooo much wasted space on the new material design app on Android.

Only negative on iOS is you can't swipe to delete, only archive.

Janky as it is, emails are 1000 times more readable on iOS. Soooo much wasted space on the new material design app on Android.

is that even a negative lol... who deletes email? i mean, other than spam... iOS #winning

Samsung is basically fucked. They simply can't compete on the low end. They just can't. Too much overhead. And they're losing the high end at an alarming rate. This is the make or break year. If the slip continues you will be able to see the writing on the wall.

Meanwhile HTC had their best quarter in a while recently so hopefully they stay focused. Wouldn't mind seeing them go up. Moto also is doing decent, not profitable yet (I believe) but slowly...moving in the right direction. Android market is really interesting.

I don't think this is true is it? I haven't used it in a while but all email apps have that option in the settings and I recall gmail having that too. Can't 100% remember.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I haven't used Gmail since Inbox came out. The only thing I don't like about Inbox is that I sometimes don't get email notifications. And that's kind of a big thing.

Hasney

I haven't used Gmail since Inbox came out. The only thing I don't like about Inbox is that I sometimes don't get email notifications. And that's kind of a big thing.

This was happening to me, but i had some filtering rules on GMail I forgot about where they were hitting the inbox but not notifying. I'd check that all your bundles are set to notify.

vdlow

I use Inbox and get all notifications, but I had to go to Settings > Labels and Notifications, and turn them on for each label, including Low Priority. You have turn notifications on for each label and change the option "Show Bundle" to "As messages arive".

After I've done that, I never missed a single notification.

On iOS the new outlook app = the best mail app. On android I still prefer gmail. Inbox is just bleh...I mentioned it before but too confusing too much BS. Just wanna see my mail tbh.

On iOS the new outlook app = the best mail app. On android I still prefer gmail. Inbox is just bleh...I mentioned it before but too confusing too much BS. Just wanna see my mail tbh.
Idk if it's the Surface Pro version but I do not like the Outlook app. I hate that it doesn't separate mail like how Gmail does it.

Idk if it's the Surface Pro version but I do not like the Outlook app. I hate that it doesn't separate mail like how Gmail does it.

do you mean like "social" and whatnot. I don't really mind that not being there. Never used it. Gmail.com doesn't even do that for me on my computer lol. It used to be there but not anymore. Unless that's not what you mean. I probably disabled it lol.

Top Bottom