• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

It's getting quite infuriating, I don't know why Hangouts isn't a bigger priority to Google. It's not even close to where it should be by now. I feel like it has barely improved since Kitkat.
you guys are making the common mistake of thinking google is a an organized company that has a good sense of focus.

I'm sure they'll get to it after the wifi balloons, cars, glasses, VR, etc...

reKon

Banned
at what time was the android team the most focused? what's duarte doing now a day? he should use his influence to really refine everything in android, including the google apps

EmiPrime

you guys are making the common mistake of thinking google is a an organized company that has a good sense of focus.

They can do all that surely and get round to adding search functionality, SMS support from the Chrome app or extension, end to end encryption and SMS backup. It's still missing so many basic features...

They can do all that surely and get round to adding search functionality, SMS support from the Chrome app or extension, end to end encryption and SMS backup. It's still missing so many basic features...
clearly they can't lol

I'm calling it how it is. This company spreads itself too thin. Also why it takes them forever to fix obvious glaring issues (i.e. memory leak). It's a giant company with the attention span of a child.

That was kind of my point. They arent really using hangouts for a slick competitor to iMessage (like we wanted).. They are using it for their future visions. Voice Integration/Project Fi/etc

Sometimes google just dont give a shit about competing. They want to change the world instead. It seems like the only business they really protect is ads and maps

Ahasverus

clearly they can't lol

I'm calling it how it is. This company spreads itself too thin. Also why it takes them forever to fix obvious glaring issues (i.e. memory leak). It's a giant company with the attention span of a child.
Have you seen the way they work? I'm all for job liberties but it's kinda a joke.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Future Proofing~

Not everyone likes to wirelessly sync data nor have a phone that has Quickcharge 2.0.

More than a handful of people do see that USB-C being the new standard a few years from now, if they are getting a phone with a 2 year contract, when that contract is up in 2017 presumably USB-C would be the standard in most devices...

I don't think people are wrong for wanting that in a phone now and days, also considering USB-C is reversible and potentially is faster than the current USB 3.1. I personally want a Nexus 5 with USB-C.

Sure not everyone has a current phone with Quickcharge, but all of the major flagships have Quickcharge that you'd be upgrading to now or the rest of this year.

Plus while it IS faster how many times do people really use their usb cable for data? Everyone uses wireless.

It's the future. It would be like buying an hdtv ten years ago with no hdmi. Yeah, you can make it work, but why bother

No the future is WIRELESS sync and charge.

That's the whole reason the new Macbook only has 1 port and that includes the charger. Cause everything is going WIRELESS.

HDMI is a shitty comparison. Only time you mofos in the hangout use your cable is when you want to flash a ROM/Update.

PS:
Your ass still awake? Let's play Hearth!

TheRook

Sure not everyone has a current phone with Quickcharge, but all of the major flagships have Quickcharge that you'd be upgrading to now or the rest of this year.

Plus while it IS faster how many times do people really use their usb cable for data? Everyone uses wireless.

It's the same idea dude, most new phones are going to have quickcharge, eventually everything will have USB-C, Wireless charging isn't as fast as wired connections...not for the majority of phones at least and it's alot easier and affordable for people to charge their phones with the included wire than buying a stationary wireless dock to charge it just because they don't want to hunt for a cord.

I love tech and gadgets but I know that a large % of people don't want/need to buy things like WIRELESS everything. Sure I think it's cool to charge your phone just by putting it on a stand/dock but it's not something all phones come with in the box nor actually are compatible with outside of a case/adapter.

Point is that USB-C will be the standard as much as Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 is for new phones rolling out now like 4G/LTE, NFC and Bluetooth has been pretty much standardized on most flagships.

clav

Basically the Nexus phone is the baseline for what all manufacturers should follow that year.

For example, If the upcoming Nexus has a fingerprint sensor, then all manufacturers will produce at least one phone that includes that new feature.

Nexus 6 with quick charge? Everyone makes a phone with quick charge.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's the whole reason the new Macbook only has 1 port and that includes the charger. Cause everything is going WIRELESS.

HDMI is a shitty comparison. Only time you mofos in the hangout use your cable is when you want to flash a ROM/Update.

PS:
Your ass still awake? Let's play Hearth!

That future is like how OnLive is the future of video gaming. Great idea, ideal, I'm all for it, but it's too early. USB-C is here to stay for a few years. Plus the idea of one cable to rule them all is very general public friendly.

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of all ports in a phone. Headphone jacks can die in a fire.

Vanillalite

It's the same idea dude, most new phones are going to have quickcharge, eventually everything will have USB-C, Wireless charging isn't as fast as wired connections...not for the majority of phones at least and it's alot easier and affordable for people to charge their phones with the included wire than buying a stationary wireless dock to charge it just because they don't want to hunt for a cord.

I love tech and gadgets but I know that a large % of people don't want/need to buy things like WIRELESS everything. Sure I think it's cool to charge your phone just by putting it on a stand/dock but it's not something all phones come with in the box nor actually are compatible with outside of a case/adapter.

Point is that USB-C will be the standard as much as Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 is for new phones rolling out now like 4G/LTE, NFC and Bluetooth has been pretty much standardized on most flagships.

I get that. The original Genesis of this was the idea that people should wait and HAVE to have it.

I'm not saying it isn't legit. I'm saying the idea that you have to wait for it is crazy especially if you need a new device.

You can make a better case for needing a fingerprint scanner.

Note I said need not want.

Vanillalite

That future is like how OnLive is the future of video gaming. Great idea, ideal, I'm all for it, but it's too early. USB-C is here to stay for a few years. Plus the idea of one cable to rule them all is very general public friendly.

If it were up to me, I'd get rid of all ports in a phone. Headphone jacks can die in a fire.

Onlive comparison is dumber than your previous HDMI comparison.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Onlive comparison is dumber than your previous HDMI comparison.

Streaming video games is the future, whether you want to believe it or not. It's still a long ways away. Just like wireless charging and data transfers for electronic devices.

Vanillalite

Streaming video games is the future, whether you want to believe it or not. It's still a long ways away. Just like wireless charging and data transfers for electronic devices.

What? You transfer data wirelessly all the fucking time on your phone. When you wirelessly download apps, check your gmail, upload photos, tweet, check FB, play Hearth with me ect...

Mother fucker we were just playing an online only game an hour ago till your shitty battery died.

Bboy AJ

What? You transfer data all the fucking time on your phone. When you wirelessly download apps, check your gmail, upload photos, tweet, check FB, play Hearth with me ect...

Mother fucker we were just playing an online only game an hour ago till your shitty battery died.

It's a slow ass way and there's no way my phone is going to wirelessly transfer data while wirelessly charging in an hour. I'm talking about data heavy stuff, like music, movies, photos.

USB-C is the future and if you can buy a phone today, you should instead wait for the USB-C phones. It's a big jump. It's not some spec thing like 1440P. Keep your microport USB today and good luck finding cables two years down the line, especially when Apple switched, too.

Vanillalite

Like how I watch GoTs HBO Go? How I am streaming that Jamie XX via wireless?

I couldn't tell you the last time I used USB for any of that shit. Either I buy it on the play store or stream it via an app like Netflix, HBO Go, Xfinity TV Go, Spotify, GMusix ect...

If people take a photo on their phone they use an app to post to FB or Instagram.

The average user only plugs their shit in to charge.

So far the S6 feels weird coming from a HTC One M7. The screen is bigger, but I don't gain anything in real estate. Everything is just bigger.

Hasney

Wireless charging really isn't the future. I'd much rather have a cable that allows me to reposition the device.

At work, my phones on a stand so I can watch things while I work and I plug it in so the battery doesn't deplete. Wireless charging has a long way to go until it's really useful.

I like having music available even when I have a spotty connection sometimes so I transfer mew music that I've downloaded every few weeks from my PC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wireless charging really isn't the future. I'd much rather have a cable that allows me to reposition the device.

At work, my phones on a stand so I can watch things while I work and I plug it in so the battery doesn't deplete. Wireless charging has a long way to go until it's really useful.

I have a wireless charger in my stand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did she have Android Device Manager installed and active on it? That's the best way to locate/lock/wipe it remotely.

I very much doubt it. She is mainly worried about someone getting into the ohone and spamming her friends etc. so even if it can be hard reset and reused, that isn't so bad as long as they can't unlock it and get to the data on the phone.

SxP

After half a day with Lollipop on my Xperia Z I just want to know one thing. Is there any way to turn the lockscreen album art off? I'd even be willing to switch to a different music player (currently using standard Sony) which somehow disables this (if this is even possible). Who thought this was a good idea? Who though it was a good idea to not allow you to disable it? It looks so bad. And I have pretty high res album art on most of my files. I couldn't image how it would look like otherwise.

Groof

Wireless charging is totally the future. Look at IKEA. If your stand had wireless charging you'd be able to do that without cables. Look at the TYLT

Hasney

Wireless charging is totally the future. Look at IKEA. If your stand had wireless charging you'd be able to do that without cables. Look at the TYLT

Look at me playing Hearthstone with a cable in the bottom so it charges while doing and doing it a fuckton more efficiently than the wireless solutions.

For overnight charging, the Ikea stuff does look pretty ace though. I suppose it wouldn't matter if battery tech gets to the point where I can use my phone hard for 5 hours and still only need to charge at the end of the day, but we're so far away from that it feels like something I should have watched on Back to the Future 2.

jwk94

So I'm switching from a GS5 to a Moto X next week. Now while I like the Moto X, I want to keep some of the TouchWiz features. Is there a way I can get the notification drawer (specifically the scrollable quick icons) and battery charger animation (the one that fills up in standby) on my Moto X?

Also, how would I go about disabling that Moto wave thing? I'd prefer to have the standard lollipop lockscreen with my notifications there.

Hasney

Mother of god. TouchWiz features? I wanted to burn my S4 once I got rid of it in case they infected other phones by accident.

Seriously though, you won't be able to do either without root and Xposed which is still very much in beta on Lollipop.

So I'm switching from a GS5 to a Moto X next week. Now while I like the Moto X, I want to keep some of the TouchWiz features. Is there a way I can get the notification drawer (specifically the scrollable quick icons) and battery charger animation (the one that fills up in standby) on my Moto X?

Also, how would I go about disabling that Moto wave thing? I'd prefer to have the standard lollipop lockscreen with my notifications there.
There are some apps you can get that can put toggles in the notification shade but I don't know the name of them as I never used them. Honestly, I think you may regret getting the Moto x if you like the TouchWiz features. Plus it has worse battery and camera.

How much in the future are we talking? The real future is TRUE wireless charging meaning no cables anywhere. Like that apple patent that shows there's something you plug into an outlet or whatever and your phone could be anywhere in that room and it will just charge. Electricity in the air woooo. But that's obviously far away.

Hasney

Best implant qi receivers in your fingers then. Now that is the future.

I'll be the first person to die from a heart attack due to charging too much.

How much in the future are we talking? The real future is TRUE wireless charging meaning no cables anywhere. Like that apple patent that shows there's something you plug into an outlet or whatever and your phone could be anywhere in that room and it will just charge. But that's obviously far away.

Oh yeah, that's the future one.

3phemeral

The only app I can remember that does that is Widgetsoid, where you can set a persistent notification to display power toggles (and other things, like app shortcuts, phone contacts,e tc). I haven't used it in a long time, though.

NH Apache

Banned
Went from an M7 to an S6 Edge, battery life is definitely better on the S6. Not massively better, but noticeably better, atleast for my use.

I'm actually quite surprised by the S6 battery. I've been ending my day with +25 percent left before I throw it on the charging pad.

Because wireless charging doesn't work for your very specific situation does not mean that it isn't useful for many others. I will say that needing a 2A plug for the pad which only outputs 1A is a bit disappointing. I'm using the fast charger that came with the S6. Unfortunately, I have not been keeping track of the charge time due to leaving it on the pad overnight.

My only other two criticisms about wireless charging are that you have to sit the phone on the pad nearly perfectly for the pad to find the spot and start charging. This is most likely not helped by the case on the phone. Additionally, I do find that I can hear the charger working/phone charging sometimes. I sleep about a foot and a half away from the charger; occasionally, I can hear the rhythmic electronic tic tic tic of it charging. I thought I was losing it so I tested by removing the phone and putting it back on - I could definitely hear it stop and then restart.

There is still a lot of progress to make with the tech but it certainly is useful.

Anth1888

Not sure if this is the best place to ask or XDA but I got the notification for Lollipop on my Xperia Z but its computer required (my USB slot is fucked and I charge it via dock) will this update change to OTA in the coming days - all the other updates have been OTA. I should probably just get it fixed. Damn it.

How much in the future are we talking? The real future is TRUE wireless charging meaning no cables anywhere. Like that apple patent that shows there's something you plug into an outlet or whatever and your phone could be anywhere in that room and it will just charge. Electricity in the air woooo. But that's obviously far away.
The company, Energous, is kinda already there. They charge devices using RF signals, but the power output is only four watts at max, and decreases the farther you move away from the transmitter.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ely-over-the-air-no-pads-no-wires-some-magic/

Edit: Got my Hound activation code! Gonna put it through its paces later.

Vanillalite

So basically only reason people use USB is for charging, and Quickcharge already exists without USB-C.

The idea that USB-C is faster for data transfers is great and all, but the idea that people transfer data via a cable on a regular basis seems false.

As I said before you can make a more compelling argument your next phone or the next Nexus NEEDs a fingerprint scanner vs NEEDING USB-C (beyond it just being general logical progression).

Top Bottom