• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Toki767

So basically only reason people use USB is for charging, and Quickcharge already exists without USB-C.

The idea that USB-C is faster for data transfers is great and all, but the idea that people transfer data via a cable on a regular basis seems false.

As I said before you can make a more compelling argument your next phone or the next Nexus NEEDs a fingerprint scanner vs NEEDING USB-C (beyond it just being general logical progression).

USB-C is probably faster than Quick Charge 2.0 I guess.

Fingerprint scanner is more important though.

Husker86

Wireless charging really isn't the future. I'd much rather have a cable that allows me to reposition the device.

At work, my phones on a stand so I can watch things while I work and I plug it in so the battery doesn't deplete. Wireless charging has a long way to go until it's really useful.

I bought stands (knock off Tylt style) that wireless charge and hold my phone propped up.

kIdMuScLe

Not sure if this is the best place to ask or XDA but I got the notification for Lollipop on my Xperia Z but its computer required (my USB slot is fucked and I charge it via dock) will this update change to OTA in the coming days - all the other updates have been OTA. I should probably just get it fixed. Damn it.

Can you connect via WiFi to Sony companion pc software? I recommend doing it that way.

Wreav

Banned
So, didn't totally follow the thread in the last week...but has anyone talked about how pointless Doze is going to be in M?

Only activates after 4 hours of no motion detection, meaning that your standby is only improved in the middle of the night when your phone would be charging anyways.

yyzjohn

Banned
So, didn't totally follow the thread in the last week...but has anyone talked about how pointless Doze is going to be in M?

Only activates after 4 hours of no motion detection, meaning that your standby is only improved in the middle of the night when your phone would be charging anyways.

Where did you hear this? I was reading a thread on XDA where they were testing Doze and it activates pretty much right away when your phone isn't in use.

Wreav

Banned
Where did you hear this? I was reading a thread on XDA where they were testing Doze and it activates pretty much right away when your phone isn't in use.

They basically intimated it in the keynote, unless I misunderstood. Similar to how Smart Lock works on a 4 hour timeout.

EmiPrime

That was kind of my point. They arent really using hangouts for a slick competitor to iMessage (like we wanted).. They are using it for their future visions. Voice Integration/Project Fi/etc

Sometimes google just dont give a shit about competing. They want to change the world instead. It seems like the only business they really protect is ads and maps

Not sure I buy that. Everyone has a Google account but only nerds or Nexus device users (not necessarily the same thing!) have even heard of Hangouts and it still lacks some really basic features. I can't imagine the higher ups at Google are pleased with the state of Hangouts.

HawkeyeIC

They basically intimated it in the keynote, unless I misunderstood. Similar to how Smart Lock works on a 4 hour timeout.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...is-is-exactly-how-doze-reduces-battery-drain/

Doze is set to activate when a device is unplugged, stationary, and the screen is off. While in Doze, the phone or tablet will periodically wake up to sync data, but otherwise most things remain asleep.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...idual-unused-apps-to-hibernate-to-save-power/

App standby could be a bigger saver.

Wreav

Banned
They don't specify the timeout for motion, which again was mentioned to be 4 hours in the keynote. If you find something else that is actually specific, let me know!

The stationary party is the most stupid, what if it's in my pocket for 3 hours during a movie, I'm still moving around, but the phone needs to be in Doze mode. Googy, plz.

Not sure I buy that. Everyone has a Google account but only nerds or Nexus device users (not necessarily the same thing!) have even heard of Hangouts and it still lacks some really basic features. I can't imagine the higher ups at Google are pleased with the state of Hangouts.

If the hire ups were pissed don't you think we would have a better ui and more feature filled app by now? Messaging features and ui are easy compared to the google voice integration that was done.

Who knows... really.. I'd love to have lunch with a programmer on the hangouts team

Wreav

Banned
I'd love to have lunch with a programmer on the hangouts team

bighead2.png

Hey you're back!

Saiyan-Rox

If the hire ups were pissed don't you think we would have a better ui and more feature filled app by now? Messaging features and ui are easy compared to the google voice integration that was done.

Who knows... really.. I'd love to have lunch with a programmer on the hangouts team

How to fix Hangouts 101

Update the UI to make it simpler and add more material design
Make it the default SMS app for all OEM based Android Phones with a splash screen explaining how to use hangouts chat instead of SMS if your friends have an Android device/Phone.

I'm not 100% sure but does Hangouts still require a G+ account to use proper Hangouts? Hangouts as a whole is still a little confusing.

EmiPrime

I think they'd be too busy in the Google ball pit or bouncy castle to take time out to do that. ;)

It's especially a mystery to me how a company founded on search doesn't have search in their messaging platform.

Been playing around with the Hound beta. So far, the only thing it really has over Google Now/Voice Search is being able to combine multiple things in one query. (e.g. Show me Asian restaurants that don't serve sushi; What is the population of Japan, Germany, and France?) This seems kinda limited though. A lot of the multi-tiered stuff I asked just gave me search results. (Bing, in case you're wondering. Search, images, videos.)

Both allow you to search using context, though Hound is a little bit better in some situations.

Google understands my voice quite a bit better than Hound and make less mistakes.

Both are very fast. There were a few times Hound came out faster, but the difference is quite negligible overall. Hound is nowhere near as fast as that video, for me.

Hound has a bit of personality like Siri and Cortana, but it's just as useless here as it is on those.

Hound has some built in games, which happens to be my favorite thing about it so far. It has blackjack, hangman, and guess my number. They're pretty good time wasters.

All in all, I'm impressed. I didn't expect a company like SoundHound to put out something this well. It does quite a lot of what Google Now is capable of except the predictive stuff. As far as I can tell, you can only ask it questions and tell it to do stuff (send texts, make calls, navigate somewhere, etc.), but there's nothing that gives you relevant info at the right time. Still, good first outing. It's just not enough to pull me away from Google Now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So basically only reason people use USB is for charging, and Quickcharge already exists without USB-C.

The idea that USB-C is faster for data transfers is great and all, but the idea that people transfer data via a cable on a regular basis seems false.

As I said before you can make a more compelling argument your next phone or the next Nexus NEEDs a fingerprint scanner vs NEEDING USB-C (beyond it just being general logical progression).
You know why I want USB C? Because it's convenient. Bottom line.

Is the Moto 360 worth $150?
Fuck no. The only people who will say yes are those who bought that half assed garbage for full price.

Hell yea, i paid $300 with tax
See.

Wreav

Banned
USB-C is the new standard. Making excuses for a phone without the new standard is a dumb thing to. If Apple can adopt a new USB spec already, every OEMs should be lining up to do it too.

Plus the added benefit of being able to charge a smartwatch by using a phone is pretty neat.

clav

Far too late. Windows phones chance to really get a chunk of the market was around 2012/2013 when it was gaining traction and was unique and fast. The OS just didnt progress quick enough and has fallen massively behind.

If x86 can go mobile, there's a chance it could go back.

If x86 can go mobile, there's a chance it could go back.
I think the bigger problem is that (the vast majority of) people just don't Windows on their phone. It really doesn't offer much of anything over the competition in the phone space. Plus the app situation is still terrible compared to iOS and Android. PC Windows is awesome though.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What carrier? Do you have a budget or just simply want something better (which would be anything)?

Rogers (Canadian)

budget-wise, I'm not afraid of dropping cash. Obviously wanting something better, decent enough camera (not a major priority though), not a garbage battery, good screen size, and can handle multitasking relatively well. Was looking at HTC but what's the word on the G4?

Husker86

Rogers (Canadian)

budget-wise, I'm not afraid of dropping cash. Obviously wanting something better, decent enough camera (not a major priority though), not a garbage battery, good screen size, and can handle multitasking relatively well. Was looking at HTC but what's the word on the G4?

I'd go G4 out of those two. I have the S6, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for battery life over everything else.

Out of those three though, I would still say S6. I will say though, I use my Nexus 5 for development and it still feels like a great phone even after coming off my S6.

You could go Nexus 6 if you want a giant phone, it's discounted right now.

My reasons for S6 are the screen, fingerprint scanner, and camera. I don't care much about battery life since it charges so damn fast, plus I have wireless chargers everywhere I sit down throughout the day. All that aside, battery should get you through the day, but it's not top tier. Hopefully it's just a 5.0 issue, though.

G4 is said to have a camera that matches the S6, and I'm sure the screen is great, too.

HTC has lost me, so I'm probably not the best to give opinions on M9.

Hasney

Rogers (Canadian)

If you're looking for an LG or HTC, may as well look at the G3 or M8. The improvements this year are so miniscule that it's pointless paying the premium.

Z3 is a beast as is the Nexus 6. If the latter is too big, the new Nexus phones should be out by the end of the year as the original Nexus 5 is a bit long in the tooth, but Qualcomms fuck ups have really made this a skip year.

Shaanyboi

Banned
If you're looking for an LG or HTC, may as well look at the G3 or M8. The improvements this year are so miniscule that it's pointless paying the premium.

Z3 is a beast as is the Nexus 6. If the latter is too big, the new Nexus phones should be out by the end of the year as the original Nexus 5 is a bit long in the tooth, but Qualcomms fuck ups have really made this a skip year.

I'd go G4 out of those two. I have the S6, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for battery life over everything else.

Out of those three though, I would still say S6. I will say though, I use my Nexus 5 for development and it still feels like a great phone even after coming off my S6.

You could go Nexus 6 if you want a giant phone, it's discounted right now.

My reasons for S6 are the screen, fingerprint scanner, and camera. I don't care much about battery life since it charges so damn fast, plus I have wireless chargers everywhere I sit down throughout the day. All that aside, battery should get you through the day, but it's not top tier. Hopefully it's just a 5.0 issue, though.

G4 is said to have a camera that matches the S6, and I'm sure the screen is great, too.

HTC has lost me, so I'm probably not the best to give opinions on M9.

Hm. Stuff to consider. Cheers.

I can't imagine Google putting some ugly ass button, (at least I hope not) or whatever on the front of a Nexus if they actually do go with a fingerprint scanner. Anyone else think they might go with Qualcomm's ultrasonic 3d scanner? It's supposed a lot more secure and reliable than what Apple, Samsung and everyone else are using.

Husker86

I can't imagine Google putting some ugly ass button, (at least I hope not) or whatever on the front of a Nexus if they actually do go with a fingerprint scanner. Anyone else think they might go with Qualcomm's ultrasonic 3d scanner? It's supposed a lot more secure than what Apple, Samsung and everyone else are using.

Nope, I'm afraid they're gonna put it on the back, and that makes me sad.

Even so, I understand the difficulty of getting it on the front when you have designed your phones to have small bezels. Samsung and Apple were really in the perfect position because of their historical design.

Nope, I'm afraid they're gonna put it on the back, and that makes me sad.

Even so, I understand the difficulty of getting it on the front when you have designed your phones to have small bezels. Samsung and Apple were really in the perfect position because of their historical design.
With Qualcomm's solution the hardware can be placed even under the screen, which is why I'm hoping they go with it. That way bezels can stay small and it won't have to go on the back. Of course, I'd be fine with the current tech, but Qualcomm's stuff is objectively better, assuming it works as advertised.

Husker86

With Qualcomm's solution the hardware can be placed even under the screen, which is why I'm hoping they go with it. That way bezels can stay small and it won't have to go on the back. Of course, I'd be fine with the current tech, but Qualcomm's stuff is objectively better, assuming it works as advertised.

I haven't looked into that until now. Holy shit...yes please!

edit: But how would that work when the phone is unlocked? You'd need to touch the screen, and it's not like apps could guess where the scanner is, so you'd be triggering touch events; unless it can cover the entire front glass.

I haven't looked into that until now. Holy shit...yes please!

edit: But how would that work when the phone is unlocked? You'd need to touch the screen, and it's not like apps could guess where the scanner is, so you'd be triggering touch events; unless it can cover the entire front glass.
From what I've read, your finger doesn't actually have to make direct contact since it's sending out ultrasonic waves to get a 3d scan of your finger. Plus, it could just be fitted into the bezel or almost any part of a device's design without needing a dedicated section of the device relegated to it.

kinggroin

Banned
Chrome still does that one second pause before resuming letting you scroll nearly every time I load a new web page on this forum. It's infuriating.

Speaking of mobile Chrome of course (not beta)

I no longer have a tablet (damn nexus 7 broke) so I can't try out myself, so I'll have to ask here.

How does multi-user on Android work? Does each user need their own separate Google account or can you share one? If it's separate accounts, can the other user access apps bought/downloaded on the other account?

I'm all into Android these days, but this is a feature I've never used.

Top Bottom