• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Quasar

phones I've owned in the last 6 months.

LG G4(current)
G3
M8
Nexus 6
Note 4
Galaxy S6
Moto X 2014
Droid Turbo
iPhone 6/Plus

I have issues.

And plenty of money.

Meanwhile I'm still using a launch N4. Of course part of that is that until I find the perfect phone for me I keep putting it off.

And now with IO passed I'm unwilling to buy a phone without a fingerprint reader. So I'm stuck at least until M ships I imagine.

VoxPop

Glad Apple has made a good fingerprint scanner a standard affair across the smartphone landscape. TouchID is just fantastic and the S6 Edge scanner was pretty great as well. The Chase app recently made its login accessible via scanning and its been wonderful. Did they mention if they will be allowing devs to allow it in their apps? BioLockdown for iOS is pretty awesome for keeping all your private apps / pictures hidden behind your fingerprint.

Hoping the redesigned Xperia (Z4+/5?) comes with a scanner.

1080p/1440p
z3c level battery
top tier camera
fingerprint scanner
LED notification light

sold

A sort of pre-review of the best Android tablet today
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z4_tablet-review-1251.php
It seems S810 works 'perfectly' fine for tablet sized battery.

I also liked how they spoke favorably of Sony media apps and UI. I have used Samsung, LG, Apple and Blackberry mobile devices before, and i still like how Sony lays out their stuffs on their interface. I think they are aesthetically pleasing and more important, very functionally arranged.

Sony UI is great!
Haters gonna hates.

truly the new Tegra

Mindwipe

A sort of pre-review of the best Android tablet today
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z4_tablet-review-1251.php
It seems S810 works 'perfectly' fine for tablet sized battery.

I also liked how they spoke favorably of Sony media apps and UI. I have used Samsung, LG, Apple and Blackberry mobile devices before, and i still like how Sony lays out their stuffs on their interface. I think they are aesthetically pleasing and more important, very functionally arranged.

Sony UI is great!
Haters gonna hates.

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these for comic reading.

So far 3 flagships have been announced and 2 of them got great reviews and one was a flop. We got a few more to go. I don't include Sony because there's no way the Z3+ was intended to be their next flagship.

Lol which is a worse upgrade, Z3+ or M9?
M9 probably.

M9 is worse because it's their actual flagship. Their sequel. It's what they been working on for a year. Sony named it Z3+. They're telling you it's an underwhelming update and to wait for the 4.

M9 is worse because it's their actual flagship. Their sequel. It's what they been working on for a year. Sony named it Z3+. They're telling you it's an underwhelming update and to wait for the 4.

Isn't the Z3+ the Z4 in Japan? Doesnt matter anyway. He's just asking which is the worse upgrade. He didn't say which is worse add semantics here.

Isn't the Z3+ the Z4 in Japan? Doesnt matter anyway. He's just asking which is the worse upgrade. He didn't say which is worse add semantics here.
It's not really semantics. It's called Z3+ in all their big markets. If they intended for it to be their next big phone they'd call it the Z4 and do a worldwide release with that name.

Don't think it makes sense to fit it in with all the other flagships.

It's not really semantics. It's called Z3+ in all their big markets. If they intended for it to be their next big phone they'd call it the Z4 and do a worldwide release with that name.

Don't think it makes sense to fit it in with all the other flagships.

Well it's not like the Z2 to Z3 jump was all that big anyway, so I doubt much of anything will change regardless.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Has Googy said anything about the magnetic shell vibrate bug???

When you have a flipshell with the magnet inside to turn the screen off, your phone will vibrate exactly once, ringtone works as normal but if you have it on silent you will miss your call since you won't feel the one vibration.

It's quite annoying and the bug's been present since 5.0.0 (stock android)

newsguy

I ordered a black leather G4 from Verizon. My contract was up and I am still on a Galaxy S4. I'm a little bit on the fence still. I know and love the Galaxy UI and features, and from everything I've read and watched the S6 is amazing. Also, I find the AMOLED brightness in daylight very useful. On the flip side, I love the features on the G4 camera as I edit RAW pics and they're running the free battery and 32 gig card promo right now. If I decide to go with the S6 I have to fork over $30 restocking fee.

clav

I ordered a black leather G4 from Verizon. My contract was up and I am still on a Galaxy S4. I'm a little bit on the fence still. I know and love the Galaxy UI and features, and from everything I've read and watched the S6 is amazing. Also, I find the AMOLED brightness in daylight very useful. On the flip side, I love the features on the G4 camera as I edit RAW pics and they're running the free battery and 32 gig card promo right now. If I decide to go with the S6 I have to fork over $30 restocking fee.

I think the RAW camera feature is a native feature for lollipop.

For users outside of the stock ROM, that feature relies on the developer to activate it.

I think Samsung devices will get it in the next update.

Still tempted for a G4, but I don't know. I have to play with the devices in my own hands before making a buying decision. I usually discover some characteristics not described in blogs/videos.

zatara

I got the black leather g4 myself a few days ago. the leather feels super nice in the hand, the only thing I'm not digging so far is the battery I'm getting around 3 to 3 and a half hrs SOT. I came from a galaxy s6 and to be honest I was getting just as good battery on it. if I had a choice itd be the gs6, double click home button for the camera at anytime is genius, plus I miss the fingerprint scanner.

EDIT: as an example right now I'm @78% on my g4 from a full charge with 33 mins SOT....its been off the charger for 2hrs and 15mins.

Wreav

Banned
Smart lock is stupid in that you still need to swipe the lock screen. Also stupid if you have a toddler.

Less security/slower and at the expense of more battery use.

Saiyan-Rox

Smart unlock is even better. Unlock once every 4 hours, easy.

You need to be able to lock the phone from Android wear though. just a simple option in the settings to lock the phone straight away and have it passcode/pattern locked like you pressed the padlock icon on the phone.

Stop people around you from using your phone lol

Hasney

You need to be able to lock the phone from Android wear though. just a simple option in the settings to lock the phone straight away and have it passcode/pattern locked like you pressed the padlock icon on the phone.

Stop people around you from using your phone lol

That's something I hadn't thought of actually. Musn't have anyone who would do that to me! ... At least that I know of.

ThisOne

Not really sure where to ask this without just starting a new thread...

I live in the USA and have an HTC One through Verizon. I'm traveling to Southeast Asia next month and I want to bring my phone along but use it strictly as a camera and for WiFi. What do I need to do to make sure I don't rack up huge charges? Is turning off the roaming sufficient or is there some other box I need to make sure is checked or unchecked?

3phemeral

Not really sure where to ask this without just starting a new thread...

I live in the USA and have an HTC One through Verizon. I'm traveling to Southeast Asia next month and I want to bring my phone along but use it strictly as a camera and for WiFi. What do I need to do to make sure I don't rack up huge charges? Is turning off the roaming sufficient or is there some other box I need to make sure is checked or unchecked?

Wouldn't you just need to put your phone in airplane mode while turning on only the features you need (bluetooth, wifi). I suppose you could also go the additional step and disable mobile data but I'm sure airplane mode covers that already. You could also take out your sim card and that would guarantee it'll never try and connect to any cell service. Your phone will still work via wifi.

ThisOne

Wouldn't you just need to put your phone in airplane mode while turning on only the features you need (bluetooth, wifi). I suppose you could also go the additional step and disable mobile data but I'm sure airplane mode covers that already. You could also take out your sim card and that would guarantee it'll never try and connect to any cell service. Your phone will still work via wifi.

Oh, I wasn't even aware that you could use WiFi if airplane mode was activated. I guess I'll just do that. I suppose taking the sim card out too wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks, guys.

3phemeral

Oh, I wasn't even aware that you could use WiFi if airplane mode was activated. I guess I'll just do that. I suppose taking the sim card out too wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks, guys.

I do this all the time while at the gym because cell reception is so bad, it drains my battery attempting to constantly connect to 3G>4G>no reception.

Does anyone else have the issue where when you're watching videos on your phone (youtube or netflix or whatever), that the bar at the bottom with the time scrubber thing, pause, fullscreen and all that goes away when you tap the screen, but then just shows up again for no reason sometimes?

It drives me nuts, haha.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

newsguy

Thanks for the advice on the G4. I think I'll play with it until my 14 day period is almost up and decide then. I read that double tapping down on the volume rocker also brings up the G4 cam quickly. Most of the reviewers do say they miss the fingerprint scanner on the GS6. The money difference wouldn't phase me if they would let me trade my GS4. Unfortunately the water sticker is pink and they say I have water damage. I've actually never dropped it in water which is odd, but the sticker has ruined my chance at $90 credit.

zatara

Thanks for the advice on the G4. I think I'll play with it until my 14 day period is almost up and decide then. I read that double tapping down on the volume rocker also brings up the G4 cam quickly. Most of the reviewers do say they miss the fingerprint scanner on the GS6. The money difference wouldn't phase me if they would let me trade my GS4. Unfortunately the water sticker is pink and they say I have water damage. I've actually never dropped it in water which is odd, but the sticker has ruined my chance at $90 credit.

the double tap on the volume button for camera only works when the phone is locked....you can't use it anytime like you can on the gs6.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Also doesn't the double tap for the camera on the G4 automatically take a picture for you? I remember seeing a video that took a pic automatically, which sucks IMO.

tmac456

completely indecisive on what phone i'm going to get. it's getting to the point where i'm considering picking up a nexus 5 and just waiting to see what comes out later this year.

i'm ready to ditch this broken ass s4 though

Top Bottom