• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

reKon

Banned
There are seriously fewer and fewer reasons for the average person to not go Apple anymore. Android tablets are straight up pointless now, IMO.

Sounds like iVerge.

The main value I see in android tablets is emulation, PS4 remote play, and loading a shit ton of media on a device for long trips. For tablets like the Nvidia Shield, Xperia, or Samsung Tabs S, they serve this purpose well.

I feel like Apple's version of Google Now not looking through your e-mail makes it basically less useful in getting you information you'd want at any particular time such as flight info, tracking a package, etc...

I imagine Apple could link those things to apps, but those are more apps that are required to be installed on a phone.

It can look through your email though. "Has the ability to work locally on your device with any email service that's compatible with Apple's Mail app". Everything it does is locally on the device so that it doesn't have to send any of your personal data to Apple. Supposed to be better for privacy that way, but no one will really know until it gets out in the wild.

Toki767

It can look through your email though. "Has the ability to work locally on your device with any email service that's compatible with Apple's Mail app". Everything it does is locally on the device so that it doesn't have to send any of your personal data to Apple. Supposed to be better for privacy that way, but no one will really know until it gets out in the wild.

Well that's better then. When they were originally talking about it they kept saying how it wouldn't dig through your e-mail.

bob page

How long do Project Fi orders usually take to ship out? I put mine through last Thursday but haven't gotten an update yet (with the Nexus 6).

Wreav

Banned
Well that's better then. When they were originally talking about it they kept saying how it wouldn't dig through your e-mail.
The whole premise of their expanded caller ID is that it will dig through your email so I think it's a safe bet.

So, is it possible to get Stock Android on a Galaxy s6? Sorry if this thread isn't the right place to ask, but I'm interested and I have no idea how I'd do it.

So, is it possible to get Stock Android on a Galaxy s6? Sorry if this thread isn't the right place to ask, but I'm interested and I have no idea how I'd do it.
neyopeeee and even if you could it would probably make the phone worst in some ways with certain things not working and camera being worse etc...

nexus or bust brah

J10

Banned
I could use some help with my Galaxy S5. Whenever I try to transfer a file to it (pictures, music, comics) via Windows Explorer, I get this error message: "This device has either stopped responding or been disconnected." Drag and drop isn't working. I have the Samsung mobile driver installed and MTP is enabled on the phone. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I could use some help with my Galaxy S5. Whenever I try to transfer a file to it (pictures, music, comics) via Windows Explorer, I get this error message: "This device has either stopped responding or been disconnected." Drag and drop isn't working. I have the Samsung mobile driver installed and MTP is enabled on the phone. Is there anything else I'm missing?

use AirDroid

Just use google drive

Jigolo

I was watching the conference and just thinking to myself: "wow Apple really has a lot of catching up to do" It's kind of crazy they are playing catch up on things Android has had since ICS, I hadn't realized how far behind Apple really was. Well, actually the crazier part is when the crowd cheers like crazy for features that are available on Android devices years ago. And that's coming from a guy who likes iOS/OSX. But watching through the conference I couldn't help but just think, "wait, Google does that....and that.....and that actually looks EXACTLY how Android does it (task switcher/swipe left in iOS9)". ... Ahem *The improvements to OS X are for another thread but it's the same story, straight copying features that Windows has had for many years (but very welcome improvements as an OS X user)*

WWDC was such a snore fest this year and it was actually kind of shocking.

I was watching the conference and just thinking to myself: "wow Apple really has a lot of catching up to do" It's kind of crazy they are playing catch up on things Android has had since ICS, I hadn't realized how far behind Apple really was. Well, actually the crazier part is when the crowd cheers like crazy for features that are available on Android devices years ago. And that's coming from a guy who likes iOS/OSX. But watching through the conference I couldn't help but just think, "wait, Google does that....and that.....and that actually looks EXACTLY how Android does it (task switcher/swipe left in iOS9)". ... Ahem *The improvements to OS X are for another thread but it's the same story, straight copying features that Windows has had for many years (but very welcome improvements as an OS X user)*

WWDC was such a snore fest this year and it was actually kind of shocking.

You must have missed google conference this year because most of the new main android OS features were already on IOS. Android and IOS are very evenly paired as of late

EmiPrime

Until I can install flux, hide or delete Apple's rubbish apps, have homescreen widgets and set default apps all without jail breaking iOS will always be behind Android.

flux especially is so important for tablets.

VoxPop

Until I can install flux, hide or delete Apple's rubbish apps, have homescreen widgets and set default apps all without jail breaking iOS will always be behind Android.

flux especially is so important for tablets.

What's wrong with jailbreaking? You can always revert it back if you don't like it.

reKon

Banned
Android is still way more functional of an OS and the updated Google Now will just further that along.

Apple needs to the very least add some kind of minor form of default apps. I don't care if it's a pre-approved list of apps that must pass through some kind of specific Apple certification process. It's just one of those things that that it should have and wouldn't have to be complicated for the user.

Also, most tech journalists will always say that iOS is so much easier generally. Maybe it is, but I've always maintained the belief that it has more to do with familiarity with the OS for people rather than sheer ease of use. Going into the settings menu and configuring everything in iOS could be made to be much easier. Some of the toggles and menu's they have laid out are disgusting lol.

Socreges

Banned
Android is still way more functional of an OS and the updated Google Now will just further that along.

Apple needs to the very least add some kind of minor form of default apps. I don't care if it's a pre-approved list of apps that must pass through some kind of specific Apple certification process. It's just one of those things that that it should have and wouldn't have to be complicated for the user.

Also, most tech journalists will always say that iOS is so much easier generally. Maybe it is, but I've always maintained the belief that it has more to do with familiarity with the OS for people rather than sheer ease of use. Going into the settings menu and configuring everything in iOS could be made to be much easier. Some of the toggles and menu's they have laid out are disgusting lol.
Before being given an iPad for school a few months back, I'd never really used an Apple product in my life. But I've found the iPad to be very intuitive and easy to learn. Your options have been narrowed, customization has been compromised, but what that means is simplicity, ease of use.

Initially I'd been toying with the idea of selling the iPad and getting an Android tablet, but got lazy. Grateful I didn't. It's actually a nice complement to my OPO.

EmiPrime

What's wrong with jailbreaking? You can always revert it back if you don't like it.

Jail break hacks will never be as good or reliable as native implementations.

I had the iOS 6 jail break and I got so many springboard crashes and hard resets that I went back to stock. I can't be arsed any more, I just want things to work as they should out of the box and iOS doesn't.

NotBacon

It's possible but it would be a mess and not worth it. If you want pure unadulterated Android you go Nexus...

Samsung drivers are ass, and being on Windows doesn't help. Try toggling the phone to PTP mode then back to MTP, then try again. If that doesn't work then re-install the driver. If that doesn't work then sacrifice your first-born to please the PC gods, then try again.

terrier

There are seriously fewer and fewer reasons for the average person to not go Apple anymore. Android tablets are straight up pointless now, IMO.

I've been multitasking on my note 8 for 2 years now, and that wasn't the first android tablet with multitasking. Android ain't perfect, but its variety is one of its strenghs, welcome to Galaxy Note series, ahead of both android and apple for a while.

Leaked moto x has a cutout for fingerprint scanner....maybe:

MiGdEnv.png

kinggroin

Banned
I've been multitasking on my note 8 for 2 years now, and that wasn't the first android tablet with multitasking. Android ain't perfect, but its variety is one of its strenghs, welcome to Galaxy Note series, ahead of both android and apple for a while.

But the Note RUNS Android....

popeutlal

Multitasking in non Samsung products has been in Android since ICS. Youtube, browsers, music players, photo viewers, etc. can all be in floating format. They're all in the play store.

terrier

But the Note RUNS Android....

Yup, but multitasking is viable because Samsung made it possible. Running Android was also part of the equation that allowed multitasking though.

So Samsung is WAY ahead of Apple or Google. Both of them are late. Now Apple seems to allow it on ONE device, but not on its iPhone 6+ or other Ipads, which would also benefit from it. Google seems to be testing it too, but unless they surprise us, it doesn't seem to be ready. We will see when M releases.

Samsung on the other hand has been doing this since Note2 if i am not mistaken, and is also possible on multiple devices, not only the Note series.

Not downplaying android, just giving the merit to the one that deserves it.But i guess if Apple does it , then it matters, just like big screens ....

Multitasking in non Samsung products has been in Android since ICS. Youtube, browsers, music players, photo viewers, etc. can all be in floating format. They're all in the play store.

Yes, not playing in the same league but true, like Xperia mini apps too.

Mindwipe

Jailbreaking is great, but it relies on their being a jailbreak (which there isn't a lot of the time) and lots of video apps and some banking apps don't work on jailbroken devices.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The multi window feature on my S6E is awesome, I'm actually really surprised that Google hasn't brought it over as standard on Android yet, they're really lagging behind. The only negative about it is that not all apps support multi window.

Fatalah

So I finally bought Pocket Casts, but it's not updating my podcasts feed!

On the BeyondPod app, I see that "Boomer & Carton" radio show uploaded a new segment an hour ago, but Pocket Casts shows nothing.

What gives?! Does Pocket Casts usually have a delay like this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My dad's old lumia 610 is no more. He's hassling me for suggestions to replace. There is a decent offer for an iPhone 5c for £17 per month, and he is familiar with iOS from his ipad. But he finds typing on the 610 tricky, so maybe he needs a bigger screen?

I suggested an xperia M4 Aqua for the same price per month - the water/dustproof may be useful when he is at the allotment gardening (nearly all the time). he isn't familiar with android and it is likely I'll need to help him set up email widgets etc.

Any other suggestions at the budget end for around 5" screens?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My dad' sand isn't old lumia 610 is no more. He's hassling me for suggestions to replace. There is a decent offer for an iPhone 5c for £17 per month, and he is familiar with iOS from his ipad. But he finds typing on the 610 tricky, so maybe he needs a bigger screen?

I suggested an xperia M4 Aqua for the same price per month - the water/dustproof may be useful when he is at the allotment gardening (nearly all the time). he isn't familiar with android and it is likely I'll need to help him set up email widgets etc.

G4c*

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g4c-on-sale-europe-614656/

The mid-range handset has gone on sale in the Netherlands through retailer BelSimpel for €248 and through Italy’s Stockisti for €249. The smartphone can be pre-ordered in the UK too, through retailers including Handtec and Carphone Warehouse for £179.99. LG is marketing the G4c as a compact smartphone, changing the G4 flagship’s “see the great, feel the great” slogan to “see the great, feel the compact.”

The LG G4c shares aesthetic design similarities with its plastic flagship brother, but features much more mid-range specifications. The smartphone is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon 410 SoC, 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage with a microSD slot, an 8MP rear and 5MP front camera combination, LTE data, and a 2,540mAh removable battery. Sadly, there’s no laser auto-focus option for the rear camera on this model. Despite being marketed as a compact smartphone, the LG G4c features a 5-inch, 720p display with a similar slight curve to the high-end G4.

*It's not a budget phone per say, but it's not flagship pricing.

Normally I'd say get the 2nd gen Moto E, but that's only 4.5". Also you could always try and find an older model on the cheap.

Mindwipe

My dad' sand isn't old lumia 610 is no more. He's hassling me for suggestions to replace. There is a decent offer for an iPhone 5c for £17 per month, and he is familiar with iOS from his ipad. But he finds typing on the 610 tricky, so maybe he needs a bigger screen?

The new Moto G is also good, but you've identified the other good options. I'm not convinced the differences between iOS and Android for a user coming from Windows Phone are going to be that problematic either way.

thespot84

On the BeyondPod app, I see that "Boomer & Carton" radio show uploaded a new segment an hour ago, but Pocket Casts shows nothing.

my pocket casts shows Dec 6 as the latest episode when i search for it. weird.

terrier

xperia m4 or p8lite. Xperia UI is easier to manage and has an easy mode too. Plus waterproof and no flaps

my pocket casts shows Dec 6 as the latest episode when i search for it. weird.

I searched Pocket Casts on iOS and through their web service and both returned Dec 6 as the last new episode of Boomer & Carton.

Top Bottom