• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The new Moto G is also good, but you've identified the other good options. I'm not convinced the differences between iOS and Android for a user coming from Windows Phone are going to be that problematic either way.

You've seen the future? Can you tell us about this new Moto G?

Okay, I bought a smartphone for a parent. Alcatel one touch pop icon. Long story short, whenever she calls the electric company, she gets put on hold but when they pick up they can not her her speak. She called Walmart and they heard her fine. But she called the garbage company and they cant hear her. Its been working fine all month. She tried calling the electric company all week and they cant hear her.

Software bug? Change settings? Is it busted?

What am I looking at here?

It seems like the issue arises whenever she has to go through an automated answering service for a business that requires button presses.

Anyone?

Aticos

Is there any way to organise the apps? (Google Luncher)
9Is8TsK.png
If not, will nova luncher allow it?

3phemeral

No idea. Really obscure problem.

Is there any way to organise the apps? (Google Launcher)

If not, will nova launcher allow it?

Yes, you can use Nova to organize folders. Nova even has an option to organize alphabetically. My setup is separate tabs:

You can also have folders within tabs. They've also fixed the issue I'm having in that screenshot where the tabs are too wide for the label name width.

The multi window feature on my S6E is awesome, I'm actually really surprised that Google hasn't brought it over as standard on Android yet, they're really lagging behind. The only negative about it is that not all apps support multi window.
The vast majority of apps work too, it's just that Samsung filters down to a list of pre-approved apps and all apps that declare the ability in their manifest. With root you can enable all apps.

Aticos

Yes, you can use Nova to organize folders. Nova even has an option to organize alphabetically. My setup is separate tabs:
You can also have folders within tabs. They've also fixed the issue I'm having in that screenshot where the tabs are too wide for the label name width.

What about organizing drawer apps as you would on iOS or Xperia? It is hard for me to find apps in alphabet order, so I would like to organise my drawer apps on my own way, if you know what I mean.

3phemeral

What about organizing drawer apps as you would on iOS or Xperia? It is hard for me to find apps in alphabet order, so I would like to organise my drawer apps on my own way, if you know what I mean.

If you use Nova and head into settings, there is a section in "App & Widget Drawers" called "App Drawer Style" where you can select "List," where your apps will be arranged as a list, in alphabetical order. As for Folder groups, you can organize them however you want. If you feel you need to organize them alphabetically within a drawer, there's that 3-dot option overflow button that appears on the lower right of the folder if you're viewing its contents. Tapping it will allow the option to "Sort," which is by default alphabetical. Otherwise, you can just long-press and drag an icon and place it before or after any other to have the right setup.

Pinewood

Quick question, have the never Android versions/devices fixed the BS memory management of older Android devices where the internal memory is split up and it has stupid restrictions?

Jacir

So I finally bought Pocket Casts, but it's not updating my podcasts feed!

On the BeyondPod app, I see that "Boomer & Carton" radio show uploaded a new segment an hour ago, but Pocket Casts shows nothing.

What gives?! Does Pocket Casts usually have a delay like this?

my pocket casts shows Dec 6 as the latest episode when i search for it. weird.

I searched Pocket Casts on iOS and through their web service and both returned Dec 6 as the last new episode of Boomer & Carton.

I'm not sure why Dec 6 keeps showing up at the top, but you'll find the most recent episodes in chronological order underneath that.

I don't have PocketCasts. Have you guys tried Doubletwist as an RSS/podcast player? I have and like it, but the occasional ad in the free version is bothersome. There is a paid version too.

Edit- last ep of B&C is from June 9, 2015 on doubletwist.

Fatalah

In the iOS version of Pocket Casts, there are 7 new segments that were uploaded today. I literally just checked it.

That's crazy! I posted on the AndroidApps subreddit -- hoping to catch the developer's eye.

I usually use BeyondPod, but today I decided to spend $4 on the "king of podcast players", in PocketCasts.

Husker86

Quick question, have the never Android versions/devices fixed the BS memory management of older Android devices where the internal memory is split up and it has stupid restrictions?
Yeah, the only split now is if your device has an SD card, and even that is changing in M.

That was fixed as far back as Honeycomb, maybe even earlier.

That's crazy! I posted on the AndroidApps subreddit -- hoping to catch the developer's eye.

I usually use BeyondPod, but today I decided to spend $4 on the "king of podcast players", in PocketCasts.
All new segments are showing on mine, I just subbed to it to check.

Did they mistakingly get put in your 'played' section?

thespot84

when i subscribed to the podcast using pocketcasts I saw 5 or 6 episodes from today, but they were all marked played.

Now I can't unsubscribe.

Sounds like iVerge.

The main value I see in android tablets is emulation, PS4 remote play, and loading a shit ton of media on a device for long trips. For tablets like the Nvidia Shield, Xperia, or Samsung Tabs S, they serve this purpose well.

A Surface or other Windows tablet would do those things better. Well except PS4 Remote Play, but I have a Vita so ???

Does anyone know anything about the native Samsung "Memo" app? I switched all my files from my old iPhone to my new S6 and my iPhone notes transferred to the Memo app which is fine, the only issue is there's a fucking character limit on this Memo app so what it did was take my ~100 lengthy notes and break them up in to 400+ notes.

I find it unreal that the native notes app on Samsung has a character limit and it's completely messed up my notes. I've looked online but there's really not much on this Memo app at all. I'd love to know if there's a way to prevent the character limit or even still, a way to transfer my iPhone notes to my S6 without any issues.

The app is in this tiny picture here:

OBvFErR.png

HoodWinked

i got to try out the stream 7 windows tablet and i couldnt believe how fast it was and not for a 99 dollar tablet but compared to all tablets. i'm thinking about upgrade from lg gpad 8.3 LTE to a samsung tab pro 8.4 but i got to check that tablet out as well and was not impressed as its speed.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The vast majority of apps work too, it's just that Samsung filters down to a list of pre-approved apps and all apps that declare the ability in their manifest. With root you can enable all apps.

All the more reason for Google to make it standard, won't need to deal with Samsung's bullshit list that way :p

All the more reason for Google to make it standard, won't need to deal with Samsung's bullshit list that way :p

it's just them playing it safe. like a while back Netflix didn't work properly. and like i said, any app could declare themself compatible if their devs added a few lines to their manifest. many apps do.

I'm too lazy to post the quote and the source but Motorola's CMO said that they're going to bring it when it comes to camera this year for moto x. And the leaked specs show a bigger battery. The leaks show there might be a fingerprint sensor as well. Good potential here as a backup in case the next Nexus phones are no good.

reKon

Banned
I'm too lazy to post the quote and the source but Motorola's CMO said that they're going to bring it when it comes to camera this year for moto x. And the leaked specs show a bigger battery. The leaks show there might be a fingerprint sensor as well. Good potential here as a backup in case the next Nexus phones are no good.

I want a Moto X like this for next year when it uses a snapdragon 820. I'll actually consider if it delivers on all fronts, despite a size a little larger than I want.

I want a Moto X like this for next year when it uses a snapdragon 820. I'll actually consider if it delivers on all fronts, despite a size a little larger than I want.
In the android world 5.2 inches is as small as it gets. But yeah my priority is always nexus>moto x but it would be nice to have options.

JoeFu

Banned
Anybody else with a G4 here that has touch screen problems? When I'm playing a game the phone suddenly drops inputs randomly and even when it registers it is really delayed. Pretty annoying..... Other than that the phone is pretty awesome. Just hope this is a software issue and not a hardware one

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah I've seen that video. Mine isn't that bad or anywhere near that level. That is probably a defective unit.

Mine just drops inputs randomly. It could be perfect, then hit a stretch of like 3 seconds where it messes up

HawkeyeIC

This 2013 moto x upgrade issue is souring me on moto.

Sounds great. Hope it's all true.

The thing I want most from OEMs now is for them to do two versions of one flagship from now on. Same specs in both (except battery), but one with a small display and the other with a big ass display.

I'd even be fine with the Samsung route of staggering the releases--smaller flagship early in the year and big ass flagship later in the year.

kami_sama

I'm deciding between waiting for the new nexus phones, and buying in the near future a 64GB One. If it weren't for the touch problems I would go to the later, and the fix makes the battery drain faster.

Should I wait, or go to the cheap option?

Top Bottom