• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Talon

I'm too lazy to post the quote and the source but Motorola's CMO said that they're going to bring it when it comes to camera this year for moto x. And the leaked specs show a bigger battery. The leaks show there might be a fingerprint sensor as well. Good potential here as a backup in case the next Nexus phones are no good.

Wait, a Chief Marketing Officer claims that their products will be great?

No. Way.

Hasney

When's the next M OTA?

Was wondering that myself and was just searching around. Found nothing.

Sorted my multiple bluetooth issues through a workaround, so just hoping they fix the Android Wear issues with media controls and it'll be golden. That and the pixilated icons that are ruining my look.

Fret

When's the next M OTA?

https://developer.android.com/preview/overview.html

1fjNzxN.png

You'll get OTA updates to newer M previews, but not for the final release, that requires a full reinstall

Saiyan-Rox

Has anyone tried the M preview on the Nexus player? wondering if it fixed that playback issue when casting from third party apps....the main killer of the thing for me.

EmiPrime

The M preview is so good that were it not for the the Android Wear crashes and the absence of Now on tap it could easily pass itself off as a final release.

I wonder if they will enable the multitasking proper in the next release.

newsguy

Picked up my LG G4. Coming from a GS4. Really liking it, it's very snappy. The UI isn't bad at all, I thought it would suck coming from something I was so used to, but tit's really minimalistic and easy to navigate. Shooting manual and raw pics is great, but IMO will be more of a gimmick to 99.9% of people getting this phone. While it's a neat tool, people don't use their phone cameras this way, and taking time to adjust ISO, aperture ETC. isn't something people are gonna do in a social setting. The screen is beautiful, I was a bit worried because many reviews said the GS6 is way better in direct sunlight, but I can see it fine if I boost brightness to 100% outside. I got the leather back, but I still plan to put a clear case over it because I want some lip protection for the front.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Everyone here, talking about M, and I'm still waiting for lollipop on my 2014 flagship. Thanks Verizon -_-

Droid Turbo? If so, it's rumored to hit today

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nubia is releasing the Z9 in the US:

http://www.thomas-pr.com/nubia/nubiaz9release.html

The nubia Z9 will be available in black and gold Q3 2015 in the U.S. at select retailers and online at www.nubia.cn. It comes in three different models, Classic: with 3GB RAM and 32GB storage for $564, Elite: with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage for $645, and Exclusive: with the addition of fingerprint sensor technology for $725. For more information, see the website: www.nubia.cn.

China!

thespot84

Has anyone tried uploading full size photos (not taken on a phone) to google photos yet?

I have .orf raw photos i took with an old DSLR, 10MP.

4qYwN8g.png

They're not synced yet. I set photos up to upload full size, and uploaded one of them. The size listed on the web is correct, but the resolution is wrong:

HvuHhUt.png

I have it set up to sync to google drive. When it syncs there, it's a much smaller file:

a6chLO0.png

But if i download from photos directly, it comes in full size:

WTuy01S.png

Anyone tried this yet? I have no clue what it's doing.

Husker86

Has anyone tried uploading full size photos (not taken on a phone) to google photos yet?

I have .orf raw photos i took with an old DSLR, 10MP.

http://i.imgur.com/4qYwN8g.png[/IMG

They're not synced yet. I set photos up to upload full size, and uploaded one of them. The size listed on the web is correct, but the resolution is wrong:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HvuHhUt.png[/IMG

I have it set up to sync to google drive. When it syncs there, it's a much smaller file:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/a6chLO0.png[/IMG

But if i download from photos directly, it comes in full size:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WTuy01S.png[/IMG

Anyone tried this yet? I have no clue what it's doing.[/QUOTE]
It's weird that it's not full size in Drive, but Google Photos dynamically resizes/compresses synced photos depending on the device. So, if you're looking at that photo in the Photos app on your phone, you won't be seeing a full res photo since that would be pretty unnecessary (for most people). I'm surprised it ends up compressed on PC, though.

ElTopo

Banned
Thought I'd ask again. I'm looking for a new phone. Specs I'm looking at:

Fairly large screen
At least dual core
Can play any game out there
No contract
Unlocked
Goes for $200 or less (if possible)

Edit: I've read some reviews over the ZenFone 2 and dunno about that one.

Cipherr

Fuck fingerprint scanners as a staff, record label, and as a motherfucking crew.

Shit is dumb until they can build the tech into the screens. Big ass bezels or physical buttons, and or placing it on the rear of the phone is moronic. Not to mention the feature itself is wholly unnecessary.

kIdMuScLe

Fairly large screen
At least dual core
No contract
Unlocked

Moto G otherwise your asking for a miracle device

VoxPop

Fuck fingerprint scanners as a staff, record label, and as a motherfucking crew.

Shit is dumb until they can build the tech into the screens. Big ass bezels or physical buttons, and or placing it on the rear of the phone is moronic. Not to mention the feature itself is wholly unnecessary.

Fingerprint scanners imo are the best feature for phones since higher res screens and probably the only good thing about M. Fuck those shitty screen lock patterns and logging in to apps by actually typing.

Fairly large screen
At least dual core
No contract
Unlocked

And this is where you went wrong. High end games are made for flagships, so you have to get a flagship to play all of them.

I suggest waiting for the Moto G 2015 and see how it is, but I hear the Asus Zenphone isn't a bad option.

Btw most of the new cheap phones you'll see this year are quad core. A buddy of mine just bought and $80 phone that had a quadcore processor.

Hasney

Cool. Do it without sacrificing bezel and we'll talk.

Not buying a phone with a larger bezel to accommodate a physical button. I like the back of the phone idea, but obviously a lot of people don't so will have to wait until it's in the screen.

this_guy

Fairly large screen
At least dual core
No contract
Unlocked

I don't know of any phones out there that aren't at least dual core. All the entry level phones have at least a Snapdragon 400/410 which is a quadcore.

ElTopo

Banned
And this is where you went wrong. High end games are made for flagships, so you have to get a flagship to play all of them.

I suggest waiting for the Moto G 2015 and see how it is, but I hear the Asus Zenphone isn't a bad option.

Btw most of the new cheap phones you'll see this year are quad core. A biddy of mine just nought and $80 phone that had a quadcore processor.

I haven't bought a new phone in almost 3-4 years so I'm more than a little out of the loop.

EmiPrime

With trusted places and trusted devices I see less of a need for fingerprint scanners for unlocking the phone.

It will be nice to have when phone based NFC payments take off here however.

thespot84

It's weird that it's not full size in Drive, but Google Photos dynamically resizes/compresses synced photos depending on the device. So, if you're looking at that photo in the Photos app on your phone, you won't be seeing a full res photo since that would be pretty unnecessary (for most people). I'm surprised it ends up compressed on PC, though.

Do you think the 1600x1200 I'm seeing on the web is the size of the thumbnail it's giving me, and not the source photo that's on their server?

Mindwipe

Changed the strap on the LG G Watch R and now it looks feels much better than the (fake?) leather one that comes with it.
please ignore the ugly sofa

I'm kinda thinking about doing something with a Withings Activite. It'd look much better with a Milanese strap.

I need to find out if it can act as a smart unlock device though.

Ty4on

Fairly large screen
At least dual core
No contract
Unlocked

The Zenfone 2 looks like a good choice. Much better GPU than the Moto G.
There are two models, the base model at 199 and the high end model at 299. The high end is tested here, but the base model has the same GPU while the CPU is also identical apart from being clocked slightly lower. In gaming a lower clock speed means little because both will probably throttle. Otherwise the base model has 2 instead of 4GB of RAM and 16 instead of 64GB of storage, but both models have microSD and are otherwise identical.
One big flaw with the phone is the display. It isn't very bright and quite power hungry which impacts heat (throttling) and battery life. It also has adaptive contrast which will change the brightness depending on what is displayed.

Stay away from the highest res screens. In gaming 1440p means the GPU has to push twice as many pixels as 1080p which again is twice as much as 720p. The Z3 compact has some of the best FPS scores because it uses a S800 with a 720p screen.

Husker86

Do you think the 1600x1200 I'm seeing on the web is the size of the thumbnail it's giving me, and not the source photo that's on their server?

Well, the photo on their server is full size since you re-downloaded it to check, right?

It's weird that it's showing that resolution, though. I haven't checked my Sony camera uploads, but my GS6 uploads are showing the full resolution when I got to photos.google.com

I'll try to upload some RAW photos sometime this week and see what it does for me.

When you zoom in when looking at them through the website, can you tell that it's lower res?

L.O.R.D

i am about to format my device

but, what the best app to do that ?

i don't want to lose my save games

Helium only back up inside the device , not to SD card

3phemeral

i am about to format my device

but, what the best app to do that ?

i don't want to lose my save games

Helium only back up inside the device , not to SD card

I've never gotten Helium to work for me on either rooted or non-rooted devices. It just saves a bunch of empty 0 kb folders. Same for when I use their PC-to-Phone backup. If your device is rooted, the I suggest using Titanium backup. Otherwise, isn't the game data saved in the Android directory, where you have access to?

Some apps make their own save folder in the main directory, and some save them in their app folder under the Android directory in your root sdcard0 space (not root as in root access, but what you can view if you use a file explorer to view the internal storage). Couldn't you just connect your phone via USB and copy that app's info over? Then copy back the relevant app data back to the device after the factory reset?

thespot84

Well, the photo on their server is full size since you re-downloaded it to check, right?

It's weird that it's showing that resolution, though. I haven't checked my Sony camera uploads, but my GS6 uploads are showing the full resolution when I got to photos.google.com

I'll try to upload some RAW photos sometime this week and see what it does for me.

When you zoom in when looking at them through the website, can you tell that it's lower res?

To my amateur eye yes it looks downsampled when i zoom in online.

L.O.R.D

I've never gotten Helium to work for me on either rooted or non-rooted devices. It just saves a bunch of empty 0 kb folders. Same for when I use their PC-to-Phone backup. If your device is rooted, the I suggest using Titanium backup. Otherwise, isn't the game data saved in the Android directory, where you have access to?

Some apps make their own save folder in the main directory, and some save them in their app folder under the Android directory in your root sdcard0 space (not root as in root access, but what you can view if you use a file explorer to view the internal storage). Couldn't you just connect your phone via USB and copy that app's info over? Then copy back the relevant app data back to the device after the factory reset?

my device is not rooted

Hasney

I'm kinda thinking about doing something with a Withings Activite. It'd look much better with a Milanese strap.

I need to find out if it can act as a smart unlock device though.

Should do, I think anything paired via bluetooth can activate it.

Have a look at this seller if you do on Amazon, this is UK but I saw them on France too so probably be worldwide somewhere and had the best selection of Milanese straps without spending too much.

3phemeral

my device is not rooted

Someone else with better Helium experience might be able to help you out, but I would suggest trying copying your folders over to your pc via USB, which doesn't require root, and then copying them back over after factory reset. That is, if you have no other options available.

To my amateur eye yes it looks downsampled when i zoom in online.

Embedded in the RAW file is a small JPEG. Since RAW is not a standard and can change from camera to camera, the JPEG is use to display the image. Google is reading the info of the JPEG.

You can extract the JPEG from the RAW file by using a program called "Instant JPEG from Raw". All the numbers should match with what Google sees.

Toki767

Hmm. Huawei's watch isn't going to come out any time soon.

Seems like there are no real choices for Android Wear other than the Urbane and everything that came out last year.

Top Bottom