• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

thespot84

Embedded in the RAW file is a small JPEG. Since RAW is not a standard and can change from camera to camera, the JPEG is use to display the image. Google is reading the info of the JPEG.

You can extract the JPEG from the RAW file by using a program called "Instant JPEG from Raw". All the numbers should match with what Google sees.

that makes sense, thanks for the education. Why did they choose to sync the jpeg to drive though, instead of the RAW file? Is that a bug or a feature?

that makes sense, thanks for the education. Why did they choose to sync the jpeg to drive though, instead of the RAW file? Is that a bug or a feature?

Given the limits of 16MP limit, I think Google doesn't want anyone other than smartphone users to upload photos. I just uploaded a RAW file and downloaded it to see what happens. The RAW file is gone. All that is left is the the embedded JPEG.

OneDrive handles the RAW just fine.

Edit: Google doesn't think a 429KB file is small enough. It compressed the file down to 178KB.

AndyD

aka andydumi
just upload the raw file to drive instead of uploading to photos

Right. I remember reading that photos does not support raw but it changes them to jpgs instead. Do the same test with a jpg and see. But raw is not supported as a photo format, but it just fine in Drive where all files are allowed untouched. The disadvantage is that it will count against the file storage limit unlike in photos.

Here:
https://plus.google.com/+googleplus/posts/aUuE4JnAU3W

So you guys gonna boycot PES 2016? Lololol

VlVAyno.png

that image is clearly fake, Konami doesn't make games

Question. I hate that my notification bar thing is always full of persistant notifications I can't get rid of. For example, when I'm home and I swipe down to look at my notifications, I don't need to see "Wi-Fi Connected: Connected to 'Home Wi-Fi'" Every time. But I can't find a way to turn it off. Same with "Power saving mode on." I want these modes on, but I don't want to be constantly reminded that I have them on. Is there a solution?

Hasney

Question. I hate that my notification bar thing is always full of persistant notifications I can't get rid of. For example, when I'm home and I swipe down to look at my notifications, I don't need to see "Wi-Fi Connected: Connected to 'Home Wi-Fi'" Every time. But I can't find a way to turn it off. Same with "Power saving mode on." I want these modes on, but I don't want to be constantly reminded that I have them on. Is there a solution?

The wifi thing is a Samsung thing I think. So fucking annoying, had to root to kill it. Probably have to do the same on battery saver. That one alerts you because it's not supposed to be something that's on all the time.

Wreav

Banned

S6 lets you turn it off, what phone do you have?

I'm new to Android and am curious about Hangouts as I've never used it. Is it basically like Whatsapp? Can I have one on one conversations with a person in private or is it essentially for group chats? Sorry about the noob questions.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm new to Android and am curious about Hangouts as I've never used it. Is it basically like Whatsapp? Can I have one on one conversations with a person in private or is it essentially for group chats? Sorry about the noob questions.

You can have 1 to 1 chats swell. I;m not 100% on how it works either and i've been with Android since the beginning. I know you used to have to have the person on G+ but i'm not sure if you still need that? :S cause you can confirm your phone number in the settings of the app.

See this is why Google need a splash screen with info regarding Hangouts.

You guys apparently dont know or don't like material design. The new hangouts action button is correct since action buttons are supposed to be the accent color. In fact the colors in the new hangouts are specifically pulled from a theme in the official material design documentation.

Saiyan-Rox

You guys apparently dont know or don't like material design. The new hangouts action button is correct since action buttons are supposed to be the accent color. In fact the colors in the new hangouts are specifically pulled from a theme in the official material design documentation.

I think I'm the only one with the problem with that part lol just slightly annoying (OCD??)

The rest of the app looks good but its a design choice that should have been there ages ago.

I think I'm the only one with the problem with that part lol just slightly annoying (OCD??)

The rest of the app looks good but its a design choice that should have been there ages ago.

Its hard to like a green color palette when the blues always look so great. I agree, wtf are we just getting an action button now

Wreav

Banned

I don't have a problem with mat. design, but I do have a problem with shit color palettes. This is why Messenger is godmode.

FFS, just noticed they swapped the chat bubble color too, so now you're white when it used to be the other person. This is a welcome change actually but just another piece of evidence that Googy fucking sucks at design.

TheRook

I don't have a problem with mat. design, but I do have a problem with shit color palettes. This is why Messenger is godmode.

FFS, just noticed they swapped the chat bubble color too, so now you're white when it used to be the other person. This is a welcome change actually but just another piece of evidence that Googy fucking sucks at design.

I'm confused, you like the messenger apps design colors? those random ass colors you get for different contacts rather than this consistent green one? Sure I think the action button should be...you know...RED...but that's a minor nitpick in comparison to outwardly saying that google sucks at design.

Weren't they the ones who created material design?

hitgirl

Anyone know if the LG G4 can be rooted on Verizon? Additionally does the wireless charging backplate folio cover add extra bulk? I know it's common for some wireless backplate to add extra bulk.

VoxPop

Android Police got a look at the upcoming Hangouts app http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06/10/an-exclusive-early-look-at-hangouts-4-0/

The colour of the floating button is driving me crazy

Ew. Somehow they managed to make it even worse. I do like the improved chat screen though. I'm glad my office strayed away from Hangouts and went with Slack. They really need to hire some better UX/UI designers for a lot of their apps. Poor typography choices as well. Based iMessage.

Ew. Somehow they managed to make it even worse. I do like the improved chat screen though. I'm glad my office strayed away from Hangouts and went with Slack. They really need to hire some better UX/UI designers for a lot of their apps. Poor typography choices as well. Based iMessage.

No its not worse

Adding a floating action button
Removing the contacts tab
Removing the outgoing green on messages
Adding quick access to pictures, location, etc event after typing has started
Replacing the huge red notifications off banner with a simple black one.
Removing your avatar in conversations
Adding quick access to your most recent photos when adding a photo

Are all design improvements. Do I need to keep going ?

VoxPop

No its not worse

Adding a floating action button
Removing the contacts tab
Removing the outgoing green on messages
Adding quick access to pictures, location, etc event after typing has started
Replacing the huge red notifications off banner with a simple black one.
Removing your avatar in conversations
Adding quick access to your most recent photos when adding a photo

Are all design improvements. Do I need to keep going ?

You can only polish a turd so much. They should just do a complete revamp or make an improved Messenger their defacto messaging app. FB Messenger is probably the best messaging app on Android atm.

hitgirl

just checked XDA and it looks like a few people are on the case right now.

NO ETA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZyK5oRZrs

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't know G4 is a SUPER new phone. So I guess it will take a bit, but will eventually happen.

I actually think the unlikely G4 has won me over and I'll choose that as my first Android phone. At first I was going to go with the G6.. Coming from Windows phone, forever user, but I've just had enough with the terrible app support. Deciding factor over the G6 is mostly; bigger screen, cheaper, comes with a free 32gb card and extra battery, no glass design, and that leather backplate. I'm going to miss wireless charging though, but those waste a ton of energy so maybe it's for the best.

Noema

It's closer to Facebook messager in that everything lives in the cloud; it's just a thin client that can be used on the browser, phone, tablet, whatever.

That alone makes it superior to Whatsapp in my opinion since everything is stored locally only in Whatsapp, and the only client for it is the phone client. There's a web interface now but it just relays everything back through your phone anyway. Unless you back up your chat logs they are gone forever if you wipe or change phones.

EmiPrime

Nice to see Google continue to make a bollocks of Hangouts.

I look at all the good things coming to Android M, Photos, Maps and the like, then there's Hangouts and I wonder if this is even the same company.

Fatalah

Nice to see Google continue to make a bollocks of Hangouts.

I look at all the good things coming to Android M, Photos, Maps and the like, then there's Hangouts and I wonder if this is even the same company.

It makes no sense! Hangouts should look more like their Messenger app.

Top Bottom