• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Jonnax

Hey all, my Google Maps hasn't been providing me with public transport navigation for quite a few months now, I was wondering if anyone has the same issue?

It doesn't work on my Xperia T with 4.3 and Oneplus One with 4.4.4 in the UK.

do you mean like "social" and whatnot. I don't really mind that not being there. Never used it. Gmail.com doesn't even do that for me on my computer lol. It used to be there but not anymore. Unless that's not what you mean. I probably disabled it lol.
Yep social and Promotions listed in different categories. There one account I use that gets tons of emails. Prioritizing the important ones are so useful. Without it, mail gets cluttered fast.

You probably did disable it because I could do that with the desktop version of Gmail.

teiresias

My Nexus 5 has slowly become a buggy, laggy mess. Probably a combination of Lollipop memory leak and some bad updates to standard Google apps like Now. They really need to buckle down on QA over there and pray 5.1 fixes some of these issues (and fixes the damn memory leak so running Pocket Casts in the foreground and Maps doing voice nav in the background doesn't randomly kill whichever is running in the background). Does using a launcher other than GEL fix the constant home screen redraw issues?

Also, anyone else experience this? If I launch something using voice commands, say, for example Pocket Casts via "OK Google . . . open Pocket Casts" it opens it just fine, but when I later hit the home button, it takes me to a prompt asking me to confirm my previous command with either an 'x' or a check. If I hit the check it reopens the app, but if I hit 'x' it takes me to a feedback box. It's so annoying.

My Nexus 5 has slowly become a buggy, laggy mess. Probably a combination of Lollipop memory leak and some bad updates to standard Google apps like Now. They really need to buckle down on QA over there and pray 5.1 fixes some of these issues (and fixes the damn memory leak so running Pocket Casts in the foreground and Maps doing voice nav in the background doesn't randomly kill whichever is running in the background). Does using a launcher other than GEL fix the constant home screen redraw issues?

Also, anyone else experience this? If I launch something using voice commands, say, for example Pocket Casts via "OK Google . . . open Pocket Casts" it opens it just fine, but when I later hit the home button, it takes me to a prompt asking me to confirm my previous command with either an 'x' or a check. If I hit the check it reopens the app, but if I hit 'x' it takes me to a feedback box. It's so annoying.

Not only is their QA bad their turn around time in fixing these issues is absolutely terrible. Hangouts goes months without simple bugs getting fixed. It is simply unbelievable this lollipop memory leak has not been patched yet.

I have not tried a different launcher than gel on lollipop but would be curious to hear an answer to this as well.

NotBacon

Janky as it is, emails are 1000 times more readable on iOS. Soooo much wasted space on the new material design app on Android.

Not sure what app you're talking about, Gmail for android is beautiful AND doesn't waste any space. Perfectly readable. Not sure what you're on about. There are a few examples of material design wasting space, but Gmail is not one of them.

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey all, my Google Maps hasn't been providing me with public transport navigation for quite a few months now, I was wondering if anyone has the same issue?

It doesn't work on my Xperia T with 4.3 and Oneplus One with 4.4.4 in the UK.

Public transit navigation was removed from up-to-date versions of Google Maps at least 2 (or more?) years ago. I'm surprised you had access until recently. Indeed I was jumping for joy at the Android Wear reveal last year when it appear Google was bringing the feature back:

Google wearables said:
C7fnLlI.jpg
Transit notifications, TAKE MY MONEY
but nope, still not available. I don't know why the feature is gone (and why nobody else has been willing or able to provide an alternative) :/

Wreav

Banned
Not sure what app you're talking about, Gmail for android is beautiful AND doesn't waste any space. Perfectly readable. Not sure what you're on about. There are a few examples of material design wasting space, but Gmail is not one of them.
Please no. Not like this.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use Inbox and get all notifications, but I had to go to Settings > Labels and Notifications, and turn them on for each label, including Low Priority. You have turn notifications on for each label and change the option "Show Bundle" to "As messages arive".

After I've done that, I never missed a single notification.

I did this, but I didn't know I had to do it for the labels, too. Thanks. Hopefully this change fixes my notification issues.

Public transit navigation was removed from up-to-date versions of Google Maps at least 2 (or more?) years ago. I'm surprised you had access until recently.

That's not true, in my experience. I go on holiday nearly every month and use Google Maps for public transit data. It always works. Unless you're speaking about a specific city.

Blackhead

Redarse
That's not true, in my experience. I go on holiday nearly every month and use Google Maps for public transit data. It always works. Unless you're speaking about a specific city.

navigation not just data. Google Maps 5.7 for Android introduces Transit Navigation (Beta) and more ― back in 2011
google blog said:
Google Maps Navigation (Beta) currently provides over 12 billion miles of GPS-guided driving and walking directions per year. Now, GPS turn-by-turn (or in this case, stop-by-stop) navigation is available for public transit directions in 400+ cities around the globe with Transit Navigation.

Transit Navigation uses GPS to determine your current location along your route and alerts you when it’s time to get off or make a transfer. This is particularly helpful if you’re in a city where you don’t speak the language and can’t read the route maps or understand the announcements...
Google maps probably still has the best public transit data but Transit navigation was a unique feature that gave Android a significant advantage over iOS at the time imo.

3phemeral

I still get bus-route travel times from Google Now all the time. Let's me know when to arrive, how long the walk to the stop will be, and whether it's the last stop of the night. This wasn't the case when I first moved here 3 years ago and local routes weren't integrated yet.

[edit] Ah, I see what you mean.

Is there any way to get mono sound or to force the left or right channel on a Z3 Compact?

I only wear one earbud at work so I'd rather the sound wasn't coming out of both earbuds.

I guess I can't be later to the party than I am but I finally upgraded my Note II to 4.4.2.

It's less colorful now, matching the appearance of the Note 3/4 stock UIs.

This is the year of HTC with their nexus phone topping it off in Q3/Q4. Sorry samesung....SAMEDUNG. YEAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

Srs though March 1 will be good entertainment.

Gambit61

I guess I can't be later to the party than I am but I finally upgraded my Note II to 4.4.2.

It's less colorful now, matching the appearance of the Note 3/4 stock UIs.

You were on 4.1.2 or 4.3 all this time? I updated to a 4.4.2 stock rooted ROM as soon as it was available. Once it has settled for a bit I was wondering if you notice any difference in battery life.

Donos

Did i dream it or did HTC say that the power button is going to move to the right side of the phone now?

One of the last little things i don't really like on my M8 (but got used to) although i actually don't use the powerbutton anymore since i use the dot view case and when open, the swipe/double tap to wake up.

I don't expect the M9 to be a big jump from the M8 so the temptation won't be that big (who i'm kidding, i need new gadgets NOW). Upgraded from One X to M8 and that was a rather big jump for me (also because of the size).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
As this thread continues, I am more and more convinced Sonic Cycle is the embodiment of the OT. RIP kinggroin free kehks

Did i dream it or did HTC say that the power button is going to move to the right side of the phone now?

One of the last little things i don't really like on my M8 (but got used to) although i actually don't use the powerbutton anymore since i use the dot view case and when open, the swipe/double tap to wake up.

I don't expect the M9 to be a big jump from the M8 so the temptation won't be that big (who i'm kidding, i need new gadgets NOW). Upgraded from One X to M8 and that was a rather big jump for me (also because of the size).
it is moving to the side:

B9kVG_8IQAI0Bkj.jpg

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Got my Shield Tablet last night after work and I'm really loving it. Thing is a fucking powerhouse. The Witcher MOBA is a whole new ballgame than on my old N7, son.

HTC, y u put logo on front.

samsung/htc/sony/lg have/etc have some sort of weird fascination with themselves. I always complain about it but logo on the front is basically saying to customers we care more about branding our asses in your face than you having the best looking phone.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
On my 5th day with my new Note 4 and I'm absolutely in love. I've got rid of TW as much as possible, and tweaked/disabled as much as I can to have it look like my Nexus 4, which really helped. I'm also discovering small things every now and then, be it with OS features or the S pen, and it's blowing me away.

My biggest issue, though, has been the battery. My average SOT has been 3-4hrs with 20-22hrs on battery time. Now I know new batteries take a bit to bed in, but this is not normal, right? Which leads me to believe that I've always had serious battery draining apps/widgets running but didn't care to investigate "cause it's Nexus 4, and the battery naturally sucks."

Here are some screens if anyone would care to help me out:

Here are the biggest changes I've made with phone/system:
- Samsung case with S View. I like it but I'll chuck it if it's killing my battery
- Runtime changed to ART
- Nova prime launcher installed, made to look like lollipop as much as possible. (Too much white?)
- Disabled as many bloatware as I can without rooting
- Have the following widgets installed (same set I've used on my Nexus):
--- Beautiful widgets clock/weather combo 4x1 (uninstalled as the time of writing because I'm suspicious)
--- Google calendar widget
--- Google keep widget
--- Facebook 4x1 widget (uninstalled as well, but consumption isn't that much different)
--- expense manager widget (2x1 simple button/shortcut)
--- Dictionary.com 4x1 widget
--- S Pen widget (I can't sticky my notes anymore because of Nova)

I'm a bit lost so any help would be appreciated. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on how it performs without the clock widget (anyone has a better recommendation for clock/weather? Something clean and minimalist please). I'll also go back to Dalvik runtime cause I heard it doesn't run as good on the Note 4. I just to figure this out because battery life was the biggest attraction. Also because I just bought a Chromecast (true bliss) so I don't want my phone to be even more strained.

#haaaaalp

That battery life seems pretty bad for a Note 4. Haven't owned a non-nexus samsung phone so I'm not sure I can help. "Android system" seems pretty high though. Try removing your accounts, google account, whatever. See if it gets better then add it back. Or just add it back right away and see if it gets better.

I don't think it should be that high.

After the Nexus 9 I'm not too hot on a HTC nexus device anymore.

The only issues I have with my 9 that are hardware related is the buttons are a tad low and the charger is meh. Otherwise I didn't have any of the qa issues I read about and the only real issues I have are lollipop related.

The shitty performance of the nexus 9 tablet can be had on pretty much any lollipop device at this point.

I am going to take a very hard look at the m9.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That battery life seems pretty bad for a Note 4. Haven't owned a non-nexus samsung phone so I'm not sure I can help. "Android system" seems pretty high though. Try removing your accounts, google account, whatever. See if it gets better then add it back. Or just add it back right away and see if it gets better.

I don't think it should be that high.

Auto brightness, Jin.
I'll work these in, thanks!

Any idea of a good clock/weather replacement?

Wreav

Banned
15% for system usage is actually dead on for a Note 4 in my experience.

Touchwiz has a decent weather display for their lockscreen, not sure if that would suffice for you.

On my 5th day with my new Note 4 and I'm absolutely in love. I've got as much rid of TW and tweaked/disabled as much as I can to have it look like my Nexus 4, which really helped. I'm also discovering small things every now and then, be it with OS features or the S pen and it's blowing me away.

My biggest issue, though, has been the battery. My average SOT has been 3-4hrs with 20-22hrs on battery time. Now I know new batteries take a bit to bed in, but this is not normal, right? Which leads me to believe that I've always had done serious battery draining apps/widgets and I didn't care to investigate.

Here are some screens if anyone would care to help me out:

Here are the biggest changes I've made with phone/system:
- Samsung case with S View. I like it but I'll chuck it if it's killing my battery
- Runtime changed to ART
- Nova prime launcher installed, made to look like lollipop as much as possible. (Too much white?)
- Disabled as many bloatware as I can without rooting
- Have the following widgets installed (same set I've used on my Nexus):
--- Beautiful widgets clock/weather combo 4x1 (uninstalled as the time of writing because I'm suspicious)
--- Google calendar widget
--- Google keep widget
--- Facebook 4x1 widget (uninstalled as well, but consumption isn't that much different)
--- expense manager widget (2x1 simple button/shortcut)
--- Dictionary.com 4x1 widget
--- S Pen widget (since I can sticky notes on desktop because of Nova)

I'm a bit lost so any help would be appreciated. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on how it performs without the clock widget (anyone has a better recommendation for clock/weather? Something clean and minimalist please). I'll also go back to Dalvik runtime cause I heard it doesn't run as good on the Note 4. I just to figure this out because battery life was the biggest attraction. Also because I just bought a Chromecast (true bliss) so I don't want my phone to be even more strained.

#haaaaalp

i notice you have like a solid 7 hour stretch of location services being on? wassupwitdat?

You were on 4.1.2 or 4.3 all this time? I updated to a 4.4.2 stock rooted ROM as soon as it was available. Once it has settled for a bit I was wondering if you notice any difference in battery life.

I was on 4.1.2 all this time. I know right.

I skipped 4.3 but damn did I take my sweet time getting to 4.4.2.

I'm really curious how my battery does with the listen for OK Google always on feature and I'm going to leave it on a day and see what happens.

Jigolo

Google Services is good and bad at the same time. The bad: when Google is pushing shit behind the scenes and shit takes up 16% of your battery.

Wreav

Banned

It's fine to stan and all, but at least be right if you're going to do it. Gmail on Android is gross and you should feel gross for liking it.

iOS users see more emails in Inbox view and WAY more content once inside emails.

KQOpLDr.png

2iDvGmN.png

In general, I feel like Android, or maybe the Note, have some DPI issues that would fix this. There's no reason for content to be that fucking huge on a Note 4, especially considering my font is set to small and I'm using a lighter version of Roboto than stock.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
i notice you have like a solid 7 hour stretch of location services being on? wassupwitdat?
You're absolutely right. I somehow completely missed that, but now I'm removing every location service I downloaded, and I'm reinstalling them one after the other.

My initial suspicion was that it could be Whatsapp, Beautiful Widgets' location requests, and/or Facebook (because FB is an asshole). For the time being I set the Location's mode to power saving and I'm keeping an eye on whatever pops up in recent apps. On a second thought, the rapid drops didn't occur during the Location Services' activity, but it's still worth looking into.

Either way, thanks for the catch.

Maybe. If it does then I will just hold my dissapointment for Motorola in September.

Yep. Me too

It's fine to stan and all, but at least be right if you're going to do it. Gmail on Android is gross and you should feel gross for liking it.

iOS users see more emails in Inbox view and WAY more content once inside emails.

KQOpLDr.png

2iDvGmN.png

In general, I feel like Android, or maybe the Note, have some DPI issues that would fix this. There's no reason for content to be that fucking huge on a Note 4, especially considering my font is set to small and I'm using a lighter version of Roboto than stock.

I'm not seeing the wasted space. Android seems to use bigger font.

Wreav

Banned
I'm not seeing the wasted space. Android seems to use bigger font.

Font size difference, short of the subject, is negligible. In Inbox view, iOS font is actually bigger. Seems to be more an issue with the way it handles HTML in emails.

Vertical white space between UI elements is drastically larger on Android too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The problem with companies waiting is you feel like your getting the same hardware 3-6 months after the fact.

If HTC and Samsung launch by April are you really gonna wanna pay the full asking price in Sept for the same hardware?

Top Bottom