• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

So the z3+ is no good? Is there any other androids i should consider? I know anything will be a massive upgrade from phone I have now.

Z3+ is overheating. The problem is that Qualcomm provide most of the chips for Android phones, so this year became a bit of a skip year. Last year's Moto X/Z3/Nexus 6 and even the HTC M8 are still fine phones and you won't be future proofing much more by getting one of the flagships released this year.

Samsung is the exception as they made their own chip, but I'd steer clear of them as well after using one!

I dont think I can. Ive been holding out for soooo long. At this point i just wanna smash this phone haha.
bro I've been holding out for a good android phone since the nexus 5. Of course I have the iphone 6 to hold me over but believe me I consider getting every next flagship but we must fight it.

We must wait together.

jesalr

So, Moto will use Qualcomm, Nexus 5 (?) and 6 2015 will possibly use an 810 or 808 too. Basically only the Note 5 if you don't like toasty thighs.

bronk

Banned
bro I've been holding out for a good android phone since the nexus 5. Of course I have the iphone 6 to hold me over but believe me I consider getting every next flagship but we must fight it.

We must wait together.

Im trying! Haha i think she is on her last legs. Keeps shutting off randomly and once shut off and i missed my alarm. Also starting to get hot real hot. Its gonna explode!

clav

I got the s3 the day it came out in US. I recently did a factory reset but its starting to run sketchy regardless. Also my screen is scratched to hell.

Back in 2012 right? Same here.

Well, you could look at the LG G4. I tried to do that today, but there were only G3s on display. I'd imagine it'll be a bigger G3, which I thought was pretty heavy/big already.

I played around with the S6. They ran pretty warm, and there was some stutter, so I felt disappointed.

You could also look at a budget (off-contract) Android phone and use that in the meanwhile.

tmac456

buy a nexus 5 for like $250 and wait to see what comes out this fall or go with an s6 or g4?the struggle is real.

is there a better off contract budget phone right now I could spend less than $250 on? I don't even know if the nexus 5 still holds up well....

buy a nexus 5 for like $250 and wait to see what comes out this fall or go with an s6 or g4?the struggle is real.

is there a better off contract budget phone right now I could spend less than $250 on? I don't even know if the nexus 5 still holds up well....
zenfone 2

get something cheap like the 199 version of that if you want something to tide you over.

bronk

Banned
Back in 2012 right? Same here.

Well, you could look at the LG G4. I tried to do that today, but there were only G3s on display. I'd imagine it'll be a bigger G3, which I thought was pretty heavy/big already.

I played around with the S6. They ran pretty warm, and there was some stutter, so I felt disappointed.

You could also look at a budget (off-contract) Android phone and use that in the meanwhile.
Ny close friend has the G3 and he absolutely loves it. Im very interested in the G4 but the jump in screen size is scaring me. I need to go play around on one. Any G4 owners wanna chime in?

EmiPrime

Get a Nexus 5, it's still great.

Toki767

I just noticed that Chrome, a browser that's supposed to be lightweight and fast and all that, is 60MB.

That seems insane.

Didn't it used to be like 20MB a year ago?

NotBacon

Hey guys I have a galaxy s3 and looking to upgrade soon. I dont want another Samsung of any kind so at the moment i have my eyes on the G4 or Z3+ anybody want to help me out choosing or maybe consider another phone. Im gonna be on Verizon by the way. Thanks!

May I ask why exactly you don't want another Samsung of any kind?

clav

I just noticed that Chrome, a browser that's supposed to be lightweight and fast and all that, is 60MB.

That seems insane.

Didn't it used to be like 20MB a year ago?

Must be the html5 features.

I think the mobile version score is a bit below the desktop version's.

VoxPop

Has Google said anything on if they actually have a plan for the Android M rollout later this year? Lollipop rollout was disastrous.

Probably not. Everyone will be getting M around the time N is announced per usual.

BB picking up Android is pretty cool although I personally felt they should have just improved their existing OS and heavily improved their Android app emulation or BB App Store. Basically die hard BB users will have nowhere left to go now. I wonder how they'll get around all the security and enterprise stuff now that they're stuck using Android.

hitgirl

Can anyone with a LG G4 comment on how it feels in a back pocket? I've just about settled on it, but unfortunately that's one thing I cannot test as Verizon won't let me hold a new one without a security tag. But I used it for about 20 mins along with the S6 and the LG G4 just feels way better in my hands.

What is set to release this fall? Other than new nexus.

Can anyone with a LG G4 comment on how it feels in a back pocket? I've just about settled on it, but unfortunately that's one thing I cannot test as Verizon won't let me hold a new one without a security tag. But I used it for about 20 mins along with the S6 and the LG G4 just feels way better in my hands.

What is set to release this fall? Other than new nexus.
Nexus phones. Moto x. Oneplus2. Note 5. Maybe a sony phone.

That's what's left for the year. Though moto and op2 are this summer most likely.

Yeah 1080p with the 808 would probably turn out even though im still nervous for the battery life with the 808.
At 2700mah (assuming the rumour is accurate) I think we'd get good battery out of a 808 or 805. Not amazing but good.

Just have to hope QHD doesn't happen. I'm hoping the LG one will be the affordable one so the resolution could be lower.

Also HTC should seriously not bother this year lol.

VoxPop

Found an ancient Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 in a box while packing to move. Decided to install Lollipop 5.1 on it for the lulz. Curious to see how it runs.

edit: now I remember why I trashed this thing

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do you care about getting the newest OS? Did you get a Nexus? Why not? OK, then you made your decision to wait a few months. That's fine. Just don't bother us Nexus users in this thread.

I just accidentally discovered a feature in either Android or Samsung phones that I never knew about. Double tapping on a webpage then moving my finger over the screen magnifies whatever I'm touching. Weird. It's not really useful for me but its a hidden feature I never knew about.

VoxPop

I just accidentally discovered a feature in either Android or Samsung phones that I never knew about. Double tapping on a webpage then moving my finger over the screen magnifies whatever I'm touching. Weird. It's not really useful for me but its a hidden feature I never knew about.

Lol I think that's been in there forever. I've been using for quite some time now. Much better than pinching. Now they just need the double tap the status/notification bar to go to the top of page.

Sch1sm

Yeah, that's not gonna work well on Android M with Google On Tap getting in the way.

Toki767

A cool thing with Samsung's browser is that highlighting a word gives you the option to look it up using a built in dictionary.

Hasney

Ah right, yeah, it just popped up when I clicked a word and I had no idea it was a thing. Came pretty soon after I installed M so thought it might be a system wide thing.

MikeRahl

I'm in Canada and looking to upgrade my S3.

I've been really happy with it, just time to upgrade. Trick is I don't want to spend too much money.

Best I've seen so far is a S5 on Contract for $20, most other flagship phones seem to be around $200+ on contract and that is just too much right now.

Am I going to be able to find a better deal than that, or is it worth it to wait until the fall when newer phones get released?

Saiyan-Rox

Still want a Galaxy edge >< must stop myself!! it doesn't have cyanogen on it yet either and with the new Nexus this year I end up wanting it too

Must...not...get...

Top Bottom