• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Samsung isn't selling.
They just need to be able to make enough supply, pretty sure they'd sell if they could. See:

According to GizChina, the Meizu MX5 Pro could be powered by a 64-bit octa-core Samsung Exynos 7420 processor - the same that's found inside the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge. This may sound surprising, but not to those who know that Meizu has been using Exynos processors ever since its first MX smartphone came out back in 2012 (the MX4 Pro, for example, has an octa-core Exynos 5430 inside).

But either way it'd cost more for OEMs than what qualcomm would offer. Even if the 810 was working fine it'd still be cheaper.

I think we've been getting diminishing returns on CPU advances in phones since 2013-14ish. As long as it doesn't overheat then I don't think much else matters.

Youre drunk. There will always be situations where the code isnt near perfect and causes the system to be sluggish. (android 5.0)

Not to mention advances in animation that require more horsepower. It does not take much to slow down a javascript written app which needs all the cpu it can get.

Samsung isn't selling.

Wait, they aren't? Why aren't they? I thought the whole point would be to sell them to other vendors.

Want to talk about diminishing returns? Resolution on a tiny screen...negative returns if you look at battery life.

Ya, I don't get this. Who is begging for higher resolution? Who is complaining that 1080p isn't good enough. On the flip side everyone bitches and moans about battery life and nobody seems to listen to that. Why?

Wait, they aren't? Why aren't they? I thought the whole point would be to sell them to other vendors.

Ya, I don't get this. Who is begging for higher resolution? Who is complaining that 1080p isn't good enough. On the flip side everyone bitches and moans about battery life and nobody seems to listen to that. Why?
it's nothing but a sign of desperation. Any company that engages in spec wars (bigger and bigger screens, more megapixelzz, higher resolutionzz, etc...) is a company that is out of ideas.

Reckoner

Yo boys and girls

What's the go to/coolest phone in the market right now? I'm getting tired of my Nexus 6. Need to experience something new and different. You feel me?

EmiPrime

Youre drunk. There will always be situations where the code isnt near perfect and causes the system to be sluggish. (android 5.0)

Not to mention advances in animation that require more horsepower. It does not take much to slow down a javascript written app which needs all the cpu it can get.

5.0 was weird, the developer preview performed better. We'll see what happens with M but so far it runs great on old hardware.

Want to talk about diminishing returns? Resolution on a tiny screen...negative returns if you look at battery life.

Even 1080p is a bit excessive. Unfortunately it seems like the charge everyday MO has won out and that's what we're stuck with.

hitgirl

Galaxy S6

I don't know what it is, but I played with the S6 for awhile today and something feels cheap about it. Like it's a cheap version of the iphone, even though the Samsung guys insist it's made out of better materials. Maybe it's just that the camera sticks out and the glass back looks odd because of it. Dunno, it's still a nice phone though.

Just got my P8 Lite today. Phone feels really nice for plastic. The plastic chrome around feels better than the cheap old Samsung chrome. The box presentation is very nice and very unique. EMUI is meh. I can't believe it doesn't have an app drawer. I will post more impressions like battery and shit, but the screen is not terribly bright at all and that is very annoying.

Husker86

Still want a Galaxy edge >< must stop myself!! it doesn't have cyanogen on it yet either and with the new Nexus this year I end up wanting it too

Must...not...get...

Don't get one unless you've actually held it. I was set on it until I used it at the store...that curve and Samsung's inferior palm rejection do not make a good experience. I couldn't even swipe across the homescreen without getting unintentional touches.

Obviously you would adjust over time, but I don't think the way you would adjust would be more comfortable than just holding the phone normally.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know what it is, but I played with the S6 for awhile today and something feels cheap about it. Like it's a cheap version of the iphone

What? No way, the s6 is premium through and through. The materials, the seams, the tech, it's all top notch.

I don't know what it is, but I played with the S6 for awhile today and something feels cheap about it. Like it's a cheap version of the iphone, even though the Samsung guys insist it's made out of better materials. Maybe it's just that the camera sticks out and the glass back looks odd because of it. Dunno, it's still a nice phone though.

it's the missing Apple logo.

Wreav

Banned
What? No way, the s6 is premium through and through. The materials, the seams, the tech, it's all top notch.
Ehhhhhhhh, disagree. The edges on the OG next to the screen are downright sharp, and the machining of the sides is meh at best. Camera hump is far from premium. Speaker distortion at max volume is pretty bad too. It's a nice phone, and definitely the nicest Android phone, but can't touch the in hand feel of the iP6.

Ehhhhhhhh, disagree. The edges on the OG next to the screen are downright sharp, and the machining of the sides is meh at best. Camera hump is far from premium. Speaker distortion at max volume is pretty bad too. It's a nice phone, and definitely the nicest Android phone, but can't touch the in hand feel of the iP6.
Doesn't iPhone 6 have a camera bump now too?

Reckoner

I don't know

The HTC One M9 seems like not an upgrade from my Nexus 6, and the S6 has the problem of triggering my "cheapass copy cats" whenever I look at the bottom of it and see the shocking similarity with the iPhone. Otherwise, I would consider it, since the rest seems pretty solid.

I don't know

The HTC One M9 seems like not an upgrade from my Nexus 6, and the S6 has the problem of triggering my "cheapass copy cats" whenever I look at the bottom of it and see the shocking similarity with the iPhone. Otherwise, I would consider it, since the rest seems pretty solid.

Apple invented everything.

I don't know

Are you seriously comparing the biggest disappointment of the year to the Nexus 6?
And then you dwell on the bottom of the S6 looking like an iphone 6 when the back of your M9 (and M8) was ripped off by Apple?

What the fuck is up with the idiots in this thread right now

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are you seriously comparing the biggest disappointment of the year to the Nexus 6?
And then you dwell on the bottom of the S6 looking like an iphone 6 when the back of your M9 (and M8) was ripped off by Apple?

Quoting before the inaccuracy gets edited out.

Reckoner

Apple invented everything.

Not really, but it's a thing that a lot of people call out and a design choice that is somehow a turn off for me. Otherwise, I tried one out and it felt well built and huge step up from Samsung. But I'm really picky with the design of a phone. Like slapping the brand on the front of the phone. Ugh. And I bet a lot of people relate to me. Actually, some of these stuff, including the stereo speakers and the huge screen made me buy the Nexus 6, Though the back side feels like too much plastic.

And, yeah, I obsess a lot about the design of the phones, since internally we know that they mostly have badass specs. Oddly, right now, what's making me feel like swapping my main phone is the fact that I recently went to a music festival and the Nexus 6 form factor became a bit of a cumbersome.

What's wrong with you?

Someone suggested me the M9 and I just compared to my current phone. And I don't think M8 or M9 ripped off Apple just by using the same materials. If you look, it doesn't even have the same form, as it is curved to give a better grip. I feel like it has personality - and the Samsung also has it, don't get me wrong. I'm just being a bit picky here. It's just two details that weight a bit more than they should to me.

From what I see, it looks like so far it has been a really underwhelming year for the phone market. I should probably wait for the new Moto X to see how Motorola is going to improve their flagship.

EmiPrime

My Sony SW3 lasted 7 hours before dying....the hell?? It said 50% then an hour later it was dead

This happened to me a couple of times. Usually it will quite happily last around 3 days then all of a sudden out of nowhere it will drain itself from 100 to 0 in hours.

Each time it happened it was overnight when I was getting next to no notifications and it was just sat there on my desk.

Saiyan-Rox

This happened to me a couple of times. Usually it will quite happily last around 3 days then all of a sudden out of nowhere it will drain itself from 100 to 0 in hours.

Each time it happened it was overnight when I was getting next to no notifications and it was just sat there on my desk.

When it happened to me it wasn't connected to my phone. Wi-Fi Turned off and location turned off so it must be something in the firmware.

Top Bottom