• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Still want a Galaxy edge >< must stop myself!! it doesn't have cyanogen on it yet either and with the new Nexus this year I end up wanting it too

Must...not...get...

The Emerald Version is out (unlocked)..and it's purty :p

Samsung-S6-Edge-Green.jpg

NimbusD

I have a friend who's offering to sell me a Nexus 5 for $135 US. Should I bite? I really need to upgrade, been rocking a ZTE Supreme for a while now, decent phone, I don't mind the lack of power and I'd keep it till it stopped working before upgrading, but it hasn't been updated since it's release and I can't stand the lack of support, so in that sense I feel like an older nexus phone would actually be ideal for me.

mturco

I have a friend who's offering to sell me a Nexus 5 for $135 US. Should I bite? I really need to upgrade, been rocking a ZTE Supreme for a while now, decent phone, I don't mind the lack of power and I'd keep it till it stopped working before upgrading, but it hasn't been updated since it's release and I can't stand the lack of support, so in that sense I feel like an older nexus phone would actually be ideal for me.

If it's in decent condition, absolutely.

For reference: http://swappa.com/buy/nexus-5-unlocked/us

Wreav

Banned
A used N5 will have shit battery life and there is a chance M is the last supported release for it. I'd spend a little more on the new OPO.

EmiPrime

A used N5 will have shit battery life and there is a chance M is the last supported release for it. I'd spend a little more on the new OPO.

I bought the Nexus 5 on release and I easily get through the day on Android M.

$135 is a steal for a great phone that will still be good 2 years from now.

Weird question: is the inverse color option in the drop down menu new? Both my wife and I noticed it for the first time today even though we've had our phones for months. It'd be weird if we both just coincidentally noticed it if it's always been there...

Saiyan-Rox

Weird question: is the inverse color option in the drop down menu new? Both my wife and I noticed it for the first time today even though we've had our phones for months. It'd be weird if we both just coincidentally noticed it if it's always been there...

if you used the option even once it appears in there. if you're on 5.1 you can remove it though with a long press on the icon. if you're on an older version you'll have to wait about 30 days for it to go away.

longdi

Banned
Qualcomm bout to ruin another phone

Sony admits that the Xperia Z3+ and Xperia Z4 are overheating, promises a software update is coming

Posted: 12 Jun 2015, 09:44, by Alan F.Tags: Android+ Sony+

Just the other day, we told you that Sony Xperia Z4 owners had started complaining about their phone overheating. Today, Sony is admitting that not only is overheating an issue with the Xperia Z4, but it is also a problem with the Sony Xperia Z3+. Both models are powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 SoC which has been running hot ever since it was first introduced. Both Xperia phones are believed to use a revised version of the chipset which was supposed to do a better job with thermal regulation.

Sony says that it will be sending out a software update to fix the issue sometime this summer. In the meantime the manufacturer suggests powering off your phone several times a day, especially when charging the device. And Sony also recommends that unsatisfied Xperia Z3+ and Xperia Z4 owners contact the Sony service center.

Stay the fuck away from 810.

I just dont understand why phone makers even went through with this shit. What didnt the lab results not warned them?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...-promises-a-software-update-is-coming_id70394

S6 would have been GOAT if Samsung went for a 3000mah battery. Yes the S6 SoC KILLS S810, but Samsung also put good stuffs in other areas like the best AMOLED screens, fastest disk drive, metal build, toned down TW etc, etc...but the battery..why? :/

EmiPrime

Stay the fuck away from 810.

I just dont understand why phone makers even went through with this shit. What didnt the lab results not warned them?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...-promises-a-software-update-is-coming_id70394

S6 would have been GOAT if Samsung went for a 3000mah battery. Yes the S6 SoC KILLS S810, but Samsung also put good stuffs in other areas like the best AMOLED screens, fastest disk drive, metal build, toned down TW etc, etc...but the battery..why? :/

They can't even put the back and menu buttons the right way round, you expect too much of them.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/06/12/sony-responds-to-xperia-z3-heating-issues/

“The Xperia Z3+ is a high-performance 64-bit octa-core device with advanced camera technology, in some cases, additional heat can cause functions to stop. Enabling applications can also be felt by the user through the glass on the back. This is normal for the unit and should cause no concern

Yes this is a official response.

The tech in the camera is so advanced basically, reality itself cant deal with the picture that is being taken, so it turns out shittier than the competition (which uses Sony tech)

It doesn't help that qualcomms vp of marketing lied to the press regarding the overheating.

I am sure Qualcomm is lying to the oems as well. Fucking pricks.

If this years Moto X and Nexus are fucked because of Qualcomm I am going to be angry

linkboy

I bought the Nexus 5 on release and I easily get through the day on Android M.

$135 is a steal for a great phone that will still be good 2 years from now.

Exactly, the only reason I'm moving from my Nexus 5 at the end of the year is because I have the D821 and won't get LTE stateside (I leave Korea in December).

I've owned both models and this has been one of my all time favorite phones.

The One plus two, next nexus or the new moto x are the three phones in looking at for my next upgrade.

hitgirl

I'm confused. How does the Samsung S6, Nexus, and Note compare. I thought the Nexus was the S6 up until now. I'm way behind on phone technology. Was going to get an LG G4 today because I love how it feels in my hand and I want a bigger phone so I can work on it. But I can't upgrade until Sept.

EmiPrime

I'm confused. How does the Samsung S6, Nexus, and Note compare. I thought the Nexus was the S6 up until now. I'm way behind on phone technology. Was going to get an LG G4 today because I love how it feels in my hand and I want a bigger phone so I can work on it. But I can't upgrade until Sept.

If you can pick any flagship the G4 and Nexus 6 are great phones.

Exactly, the only reason I'm moving from my Nexus 5 at the end of the year is because I have the D821 and won't get LTE stateside (I leave Korea in December).

I've owned both models and this has been one of my all time favorite phones.

The One plus two, next nexus or the new moto x are the three phones in looking at for my next upgrade.

It really is great, LG did everything right with it! I could upgrade at the end of the year but I love it too much. It was a huge step up from my crappy iPhone 3GS.

At least in Sony's case, the Xperias can be watercooled.

It's crazy how bad Qualcomm fucked up with the 810. And speaking of the 810, is that the only recent Qualcomm SoC with the faster ddr4 RAM? None of their other chips have it, do they?

All I care about at this point is nexus 5-2. As long as the rumours of 808 or 805 are true I'm solid.

But if that falls through I hope moto x and other nexus do it right.

820 will be good at least. Wouldn't it be shitty if the nexus phones are great this year but the cpu sucks. Then next year the cpu is great but the actual devices suck.

Android.

EmiPrime

All I care about at this point is nexus 5-2. As long as the rumours of 808 or 805 are true I'm solid.

But if that falls through I hope moto x and other nexus do it right.

820 will be good at least. Wouldn't it be shitty if the nexus phones are great this year but the cpu sucks. Then next year the cpu is great but the actual devices suck.

Android.

I think we've been getting diminishing returns on CPU advances in phones since 2013-14ish. As long as it doesn't overheat then I don't think much else matters.

Top Bottom