• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

bob page

I bailed on my OPO this past week because of all the Lollipop touchscreen driver issues. Got a Nexus 6 and freaking love this thing. No regrets!

hitgirl

Okay, gothca. I'll spend some time using the nexus 6 in Verizon before I pull the trigger on the LG g4. What's advantages of stock android? Sorry I'm a new android shopper.

Okay, gothca. I'll spend some time using the nexus 6 in Verizon before I pull the trigger on the LG g4. What's advantages of stock android? Sorry I'm a new android shopper.
less bloated, cleaner...you'll get much faster updates on the nexus 6 than the G4. For instance when Android M releases it'll take a long time for the G4 but for nexus devices it should be faster.

With that said, it all depends what you value most in a phone.

hitgirl

less bloated, cleaner...you'll get much faster updates on the nexus 6 than the G4. For instance when Android M releases it'll take a long time for the G4 but for nexus devices it should be faster.

With that said, it all depends what you value most in a phone.

I see, thanks. Some stuff to consider. I need to read the past few pages because someone mentioned new devices coming soon. I can do an upgrade now with a give back but of I wait until Sept for my real update date maybe something new will be out.

I see, thanks. Some stuff to consider. I need to read the past few pages because someone mentioned new devices coming soon. I can do an upgrade now with a give back but of I wait until Sept for my real update date maybe something new will be out.
By Sept the stage will be a lot more clear in terms of what's out there. There's still Moto X 2015, Nexus phone(s), and the Note 5. And the OP2.

I say wait until your real update. Worst case scenario the Note 5 will shit on the G4. Moto X 2015 should be plenty better than it's 2014 version and the nexus phones could be great.

hitgirl

By Sept the stage will be a lot more clear in terms of what's out there. There's still Moto X 2015, Nexus phone(s), and the Note 5. And the OP2.

I say wait until your real update. Worst case scenario the Note 5 will shit on the G4. Moto X 2015 should be plenty better than it's 2014 version and the nexus phones could be great.

Ok, I'll let things shake out then. Since I'm looking for a phone that has around a 5.5" screen I should def keep my eyes on the Note 5, new nexus?, and the new Moto X will prob be too small?

Ok, I'll let things shake out then. Since I'm looking for a phone that has around a 5.5" screen I should def keep my eyes on the Note 5, new nexus?, and the new Moto X will prob be too small?
rumours say there might be 2 moto x sizes this year so we will see. 2 nexus sizes as well. Note 5 will be 5.7 minimum.

That makes way too much sense.
That's how you know it won't happen! Rumours have the S6+ at 5.7 I believe. Which is dumb as hell lol. If you're going huge you might as well get the Note 5 and if you want smaller you'll get the S6. 5.5 would have been a great middle ground.

Eleuin

Wanted to wait for the new nexus (5.2" one?) but the screen on my nexus 4 started to have the phone equivalent of seizures so I bought a zenfone 2

What a massize size difference! Hope the bloat isn't too bad but otherwise I'm excited

jwk94

Loving my new Moto X. Is there a way to change the position of the on-screen buttons? I'm so used ot having back on the right and multitask on the left...I'm not rooted by the way.

NotBacon

It's all around a more polished experience and just a joy to use. There are a bunch of things I could list, but I think the best way to understand is just to use it for a good 5 minutes (doing random tasks) to get a feel for how simple and intuitive it is compared to cluttered OEM versions of Android.

Loving my new Moto X. Is there a way to change the position of the on-screen buttons? I'm so used ot having back on the right and multitask on the left...I'm not rooted by the way.

Get used to the proper orientation you heathen lol

Qvoth

so i finally updated my oneplus one into lollipop, for some reason when i flash twrp recovery i kept getting cyanogen recovery instead when i go to recovery mode... and when i try to flash supersu with it i keep getting some kind of error...

someone please help ; ;

edit: nvm didn't realize the old guide doesn't work for lollipop update, everything's fine now

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Get used to the proper way. Back button on the right LOL

EmiPrime

Never mind Touchwiz, the back to front buttons on Samsung phones are reason enough to not buy them. That nonsense brings Android into disrepute, Google should never have allowed it.

Wreav

Banned
Never mind Touchwiz, the back to front buttons on Samsung phones are reason enough to not buy them. That nonsense brings Android into disrepute, Google should never have allowed it.
God forbid the most used button is closest to 80% of people's dominant thumb.

Upleaks posted a tiny rendering of the new Moto X. Here it is blown up:

aysh2UJ.png

So far looking like a good potential backup if the Nexus 5 2nd gen drops the ball or the huawei one is too big (assuming the huawei one is still a thing).

jwk94

It's all around a more polished experience and just a joy to use. There are a bunch of things I could list, but I think the best way to understand is just to use it for a good 5 minutes (doing random tasks) to get a feel for how simple and intuitive it is compared to cluttered OEM versions of Android.

Get used to the proper orientation you heathen lol

Get used to the proper way. Back button on the right LOL
So then that's a no? Because with how slippery this thing is (would skins help and if so, can someone direct me to one?) pressing the back button one-handed could result in dropping the thing.

Wreav

Banned

aysh2UJ.png

So far looking like a good potential backup if the Nexus 5 2nd gen drops the ball or the huawei one is too big (assuming the huawei one is still a thing).

That cutout was for the flash then?

We switched to T-Mobile yesterday and came back with 2 LG G4 phones. I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, everyone warns me of coverage issues, and I FINALLY have full-bars at home. I used to drop calls going into the computer room. It's a great phone. It was hard to resist the saturated colors and the interesting shape of the Galaxy S6 Edge, but I'm glad I did. Still waiting for root and an unlocked bootloader, but it might even be simpler if it never came. Fooling with ROMS is fun, but it can be a hassle.

I don't think so. Myself and almost everyone I know uses their phone almost always in their dominant hand.

This just feels weird to me. I can imagine certainly some people using their dominant but I wouldn't think it would be uncommon for people to use their left if they were right handed. I keep my phone in my left pocket, so I pull it out with my left hand. I browse while holding in my left hand which leaves my dominant hand to do things. Like if I need to swipe type on the phone, now my dominant hand is free to do that since my left hand is holding the phone. Do right handed people normally type with their left hand? If I want to drink something while browsing, my right hand is free to do that. If I have to open a door, my dominant hand which I use to open doors is free to do that. It would feel weird to me to have to switch hands just to open a door.

What's the best tablet to get my dad for father's day? Budget is $400. He only does browsing on his laptop and skype.

I know this is an Android thread, but iPad Mini.

aysh2UJ.png

Looks really nice from what I can make out. Hopefully those are actually stereo speakers this time unlike the 2014 X. Any word on if it's using usb type-c?

Google needs to allow the option to swap. i mean, what's the fucking point of software buttons wasting screen space when you can't even do simple shit like that without root?

What? I'm right handed and hold the phone in my left hand. This way my dominant and is free to do other things like hold a drink. A lot of people don't do this?

why would i hold a drink with my best hand? that's why i have two hands.

What's the best tablet to get my dad for father's day? Budget is $400. He only does browsing on his laptop and skype.

what size? Tab S 8.4 is $300 this week at Best Buy and Target

Furyous

Awww shit, Motorola going after the premium market.

All I want is an IR blaster, an microsd card slot, and the less shittier Snapdragon processor.

hitgirl

Are motorolla and nexus same thing. Or different companies? Are they both assembled in USA?

edit - nvm I see the M on the back of the Nexus. I like how they don't show their name on the front of the phone.

So far both those has won me over, was originally going to get a G4 as my first Android phone.

new moto x looks like a smaller nexus 6

not bad
but the nexus 6 was just a huge moto x

Are motorolla and nexus same thing. Or different companies? Are they both assembled in USA?

edit - nvm I see the M on the back of the Nexus. I like how they don't show their name on the front of the phone.

So far both those has won me over, was originally going to get a G4 as my first Android phone.
Nexus phones are made by different companies but google helps design them and optimizes the software for them and whatever else. Moto phones these days don't have a heavy skin like LG and Samsung phones so they do seem similar. But they aren't the same.

But yeah, around September you'll know what's out there and odds are the G4 will be bested enough times.

jwk94

That render looks phablet sized. If that's a fingerprint scanner, then it would be in the middle of the back if they went with a 5.1 inch phone and that's not very practical. Lord I hope there's a small one with a fingerprint scanner in the back.

Top Bottom