• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

popeutlal

aKUtWNR.png

All good up until 8pm then it just caved like mad

What is causing this :S
Bad cell tower signal can cause large amount of battery drain.

jwk94

I can't get over how amazing the moto x is. Other than the button placement, slick back and weird volume rocker, this thing is heaven. The screen feels so good. I'm kinda embarrassed to have even gone with the gs5 last year.

Chrome has a "new" flag (on beta builds at least)
Enable Site Engagement Service Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
Enables the Site Engagement Service, which records interaction with sites and allocates resources accordingly. #enable-site-engagement-service

anyone know since i can't really figure out if Default means On for this flag?

zatara

so for the last 2 weeks I've been flip flopping between a nexus 6, galaxy s6, and lg g4...my observations.

Nexus 6:
Pros:
Fast as fuck
Best battery life out of the 3
Best speakers of the 3
Surprisingly comfy for its size

Cons:
Camera is worst of the 3, slowest autofocus focus, horrible low light.
No tap to wake or fingerprint scanner.

LG G4
Pros:
Leather feels glorious
Camera is fast, best lowlight, tons of options to tweak.
UI is smooth, almost as smooth as nexus
Battery promo, getting a free battery with charger negates the poor battery life.
Feels great to hold for a 5.5 inch screen.
Knock code is nice.

Cons:
LG UI while smooth is ugly.
Battery life is subpar, its a tad better than the gs6, almost 4hrs SOT.
Rear speaker sucks.
Takes longest to charge with stock charger.

Galaxy S6

Pros:
Best design, feels amazing to hold.
Fast as fuck, faster than g4 but not nexus.
Fingerprint scanner is amazing, once you use it, you can't live without it.
Double tap home to camera from anywhere is one of the best features ever.
Camera is fast as hell and great shots.
Screen is amazing, best of the bunch quality wise.
Quickest to charge.
Resell value, huge if you have a habit buying phones like I do.

Cons:
No removable battery, battery life isn't great so it'd be nice to have the ability to swap.
Touchwiz, while not as bad as LG's UI nothing beats stock Android.
Smallest screen, I can one hand the nexus 6 fine so I'd rather a bigger screen.
Speaker isn't too great, better than g4 but worse than nexus.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
can upgrade on my contract early september

coming from a galaxy s4, not sure what to upgrade too, was contemplating an iphone but may go with a HTC

any help?

coming from a galaxy s4, not sure what to upgrade too, was contemplating an iphone but may go with a HTC

any help?
If you can hold out a while longer, I'd suggest waiting til this fall/winter when some of the other phones (Motorola, Nexus, Note 5, etc.) are announced/available. I would also suggest not going with the HTC One M9.

But if you can't wait, the S6 and G4 are great phones.

Lashley

Really? I thought the HTC m8/m9 were regarded as good? What's the best android phone at the moment/be available in sept/oct

Really? I thought the HTC m8/m9 were regarded as good? What's the best android phone at the moment/be available in sept/oct
The m9 is basically a rehash of the m8. It's not a bad phone at all, just a very underwhelming one. The best recent Android phones out right now are the S6 and G4. There's also the Note 4 and Nexus 6 from late last year. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are also great if you want to go the iOS route.

Upcoming phones are the OnePlus 2, new iPhones, Note 5, a rumored pair of large & small Nexus, and new Moto X.

Lashley

The m9 is basically a rehash of the m8. It's not a bad phone at all, just a very underwhelming one. The best recent Android phones out right now are the S6 and G4. There's also the Note 4 and Nexus 6 from late last year. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are also great if you want to go the iOS route.

Upcoming phones are the OnePlus 2, new iPhones, Note 5, a rumored pair of large & small Nexus, and new Moto X.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the advice guys

dummydecoy

Hey guys, long time iOS user, finally got an old Samsung Note 3. Need recommendations for a mail app that can handle Outlook.com, icloud and gmail accounts while still looking clean and minimalistic. Any suggestions?

NotBacon

Sweet Camera update for Nexus 6 (and 5 I think?). HDR shots went from taking 1-2 seconds per shot to a fraction of a second per shot now. Regular shots are faster now too.

Damn there really is a disconnect with a normal persons perception of Android phones and our (enthusiast?) perception. Anyways, HTC =Bad.

If you want the best now: Nexus 6 or Note 4.
If you want a smaller phone: You'll have to make some compromises but your options would be S6 or G4.

If you can wait: Moto X 2015, Nexus 2015, or OnePlus Two.

NotBacon

Hey guys, long time iOS user, finally got an old Samsung Note 3. Need recommendations for a mail app that can handle Outlook.com, icloud and gmail accounts while still looking clean and minimalistic. Any suggestions?

The Gmail app can do all of that. Swipe in from the left and add your accounts in the top area. Although I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "icloud"....

dummydecoy

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "icloud"....

iCloud is email from Apple, but thanks. Downloading gmail now.
Also, is there a way to make Android's settings/UI be black text on white background? Right now it's on permanent "night mode" and I'm not really a fan.

Mario007

Guys I have a problem and I need help. I have an Xperia Z2 from China (since I live here) so I have a modified model L50u, Because of that there seems to be no update to Lollipop in site as well as no way to get Google services.

So I decided to flash a different countries firmware but then found that my SIM card was not being detected. Finally solved the issue by finding special drivers for the L50u and flashing them on top of rooted firmwares. Problem is when I do this on Kitkat firmwares it's ok, once I try to flash them on a Lollipop firmware the phone goes into boot loop. Any idea why?

popeutlal

Currently I'm on Verizon with the Droid Maxx, I love the phone due to its large battery life. New I might be switching to T-Mobile. Which phone can I use with T-Mobile without worrying about the battery life?

any help?

GOAT5

the Samsung Email app that comes on the device works fine.

fritolay

I wonder how much Google makes per year with Android, from apps, advertisements, etc. In searching this subject I get mixed results.

Then how much does Samsung or LG make selling hardware, and is that more or less than Google makes from my first question on Android.

The reason I wonder is the whole purchase and sell off of Motorola. Even if it was a patent grab they at least tired to make their own phone when they owned them, but in US where it didn't work out financially.

vwnut13

What? I'm right handed and hold the phone in my left hand. This way my dominant and is free to do other things like hold a drink. A lot of people don't do this?

Are you telling me it's easier to use a smartphone with your nondominant hand than it is to hold a cup?

lolwut.

The Periscope app is pretty nice. It's one of the better Material apps out there, and it has some really nice animations. Just downloaded it last night, but didn't use it until this morning when mkbhd did a short, random broadcast.

Assuming Twitter designed this internally, it proves they know how to make a good material app. Facebook knows how to as well if you look at some of their add-on apps for Messenger and their dialer app.

Material really is the best modern design language, in my opinion.

NotBacon

iCloud is email from Apple, but thanks. Downloading gmail now.
Also, is there a way to make Android's settings/UI be black text on white background? Right now it's on permanent "night mode" and I'm not really a fan.

Normal Android is already like that. Check out the UI in the screenshot above. If it's not like that then it's Samsung's fault.

Today is the first time I've typed on a pc keyboard in ages, and jesus I suck now. I'm so used to autocorrect adding apostrophes, capitalizing the first letter in a sentence and whatnot now that I've friggin regressed in my typing ability.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
so for the last 2 weeks I've been flip flopping between a nexus 6, galaxy s6, and lg g4...my observations.

Nexus 6:
Pros:
Fast as fuck
Best battery life out of the 3
Best speakers of the 3
Surprisingly comfy for its size

Cons:
Camera is worst of the 3, slowest autofocus focus, horrible low light.
No tap to wake or fingerprint scanner.

LG G4
Pros:
Leather feels glorious
Camera is fast, best lowlight, tons of options to tweak.
UI is smooth, almost as smooth as nexus
Battery promo, getting a free battery with charger negates the poor battery life.
Feels great to hold for a 5.5 inch screen.
Knock code is nice.

Cons:
LG UI while smooth is ugly.
Battery life is subpar, its a tad better than the gs6, almost 4hrs SOT.
Rear speaker sucks.
Takes longest to charge with stock charger.

Galaxy S6

Pros:
Best design, feels amazing to hold.
Fast as fuck, faster than g4 but not nexus.
Fingerprint scanner is amazing, once you use it, you can't live without it.
Double tap home to camera from anywhere is one of the best features ever.
Camera is fast as hell and great shots.
Screen is amazing, best of the bunch quality wise.
Quickest to charge.
Resell value, huge if you have a habit buying phones like I do.

Cons:
No removable battery, battery life isn't great so it'd be nice to have the ability to swap.
Touchwiz, while not as bad as LG's UI nothing beats stock Android.
Smallest screen, I can one hand the nexus 6 fine so I'd rather a bigger screen.
Speaker isn't too great, better than g4 but worse than nexus.
I just picked up a G4 and I am pretty happy with it. The only downsides so far are the lack of physical buttons, relatively poor battery life (I came from a S4 with a 5800mah battery though). The other annoying thing is LG's needlessly skinned navigation buttons. I keep pressing the home button within apps rather than the actual home button because my mind is thinking 'home' not circle. I immediately installed nova, so I really don't see much of the original UI.

zatara

Sweet Camera update for Nexus 6 (and 5 I think?). HDR shots went from taking 1-2 seconds per shot to a fraction of a second per shot now. Regular shots are faster now too.

Damn there really is a disconnect with a normal persons perception of Android phones and our (enthusiast?) perception. Anyways, HTC =Bad.

If you want a smaller phone: You'll have to make some compromises but your options would be S6 or G4.

are you shitting me dude??? I just returned my nexus 6 cause I hated how slow the camera was. is it a huge difference? cause if it is I'm gonna buy it again

yyzjohn

Banned

Why does Sony never get any love? I'd put the Xperia Z3 in the conversation here.

NotBacon

are you shitting me dude??? I just returned my nexus 6 cause I hated how slow the camera was. is it a huge difference? cause if it is I'm gonna buy it again

Yes.
HDR is now super quick in anything that isn't extremely dark (understandably). And I just tried out regular mode again and was able to fire off 10 shots in rapid succession without a hitch. Before it would pause/freeze for a bit if I tried to do that.

I just picked up a G4 and I am pretty happy with it. The only downsides so far are the lack of physical buttons, relatively poor battery life (I came from a S4 with a 5800mah battery though). The other annoying thing is LG's needlessly skinned navigation buttons. I keep pressing the home button within apps rather than the actual home button because my mind is thinking 'home' not circle. I immediately installed nova, so I really don't see much of the original UI.

Wait what? Their "skinned" nav buttons are based off the stock nav buttons.

Top Bottom