• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Sch1sm

You're OK with the Verizon Note 2?

It's a phone. You'll replace it in like 1.5-2 years at the most, anyway. A bit of branding wouldn't sway me. If I could get it without the branding at the same price, but compatible with the carrier, sure, but I wouldn't pay more for it.

I live in Canada, though, so none of that matters.

Just updated to 5.1 Lollipop. Didn't really notice anything different.

Because there literally was no difference.

Reckoner

Look at that garbage phone, with its 20mp camera, and flapless waterproofing, and dedicated camera button, and front facing speakers, and ultra lightweight skinning, and quick charge 2.0, and its 3000mah battery, and an SD slot, and its 1440p screen, what a piece of fucking shit.

All you haters claiming you'd use a thicker phone if it had a better battery, HERE YOU FUCKING GO.
That sounds awesome. I would get a Droid turbo instead if I could, though.

Groof

DPReview has their S6/S6 edge camera review up.
http://m.connect.dpreview.com/post/2097209656/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-camera-review

Summary said:
The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has no obvious weaknesses in the camera department and in all light situations captures image quality that is among the very best we have seen from conventional smartphone cameras. Wrap it all up in an attractive metal and glass body and add a gorgeous Quad-HD screen for image viewing and composition to the mix and it's very difficult to not recommend the Samsung to anyone who likes taking pictures with their smartphone. Hopefully Samsung can add Raw support and manual control over shutter speed via a software update but even without these features the Galaxy S6 Edge is the camera phone to beat in 2015.

Score:

clav

I think the 2015 Android phone is the Galaxy S6 Active.

Too bad it's carrier exclusive.

Long battery life with all the best internals minus fingerprint sensor. Lasts even more than the Galaxy S6/Edge.

Doesn't slide off surfaces and can take a bit of a beating.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
BlackBerry-Passport-on-Android.jpg

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Purp...with-Android-Lollipop-onboard-appears_id70548

Not really seeing the problem here....Dude with an iPhone "wants" Samsung products.

I would say more like they straight copied a "ransom" note from a couple of weeks ago almost line for line that got enough press that it was one of the first things that Tim Cook talked about at WWDC last week. It's that weird spot that instead of really trying to differentiate themselves from Apple, they've just said "screw it, Apple just did this and it got press, let's do the exact same thing". It's just annoying to watch any company throw it's hands up and stop trying.

/end mini rant

Saiyan-Rox

Nexus 9 is good if you can check the manufacture date first (early ones had poor build quality).

Ignore the Nexus 9. Can't even play music in the background and web browse without the music chopping and just totally stopping. Not to mention tabs constantly reloading if you have more than 1.

Its a real nice tablet but shit like that shouldn't be happening on it.

Volotaire

I think I'm going to keep my Moto G until November, or maybe even to 2016's Q1/2 phones. I'm just not interested in any of the 2015 offerings.

Saiyan-Rox

"According to OnePlus, its engineers have worked closely with Qualcomm to make sure the new 2.1 revision of the Snapdragon 810 runs well"

Well that fills me with confidence

Reckoner

Btw

It's a mistery to me how manufacturers still put painfully bad calibrated phone displays on the market and camera software that craps all over the camera sensor they've got.

Or am I just generally describing the Android market right now? At least Samsung got some of that right, from what I read. Ty Sammy.

J. Bravo

Just got an s6. I like it so far, but how do I make it so the screen doesn't turn on when I get a text or something while my phone is uh my pocket?

The Windows phone display not staying on for more than like 3 seconds after receiving a text unless you picked the phone up was something I really got used to apparently.

J. Bravo

So do I need to use different app for texting, or is there a way to change that particular setting? Preferably one I can transfer my texts over to.

edit: also, why can't I set up any security on my phone? i have fingerprints activated but it only makes me use it when I have a notification. same with the pattern and pin. and is there a way to make it so the physical button being pressed doesn't turn the screen on? that is kind of an issue too, when it's in my pocket.

Saiyan-Rox

So do I need to use different app for texting, or is there a way to change that particular setting? Preferably one I can transfer my texts over to.

I don't think there's a way to stop the screen from turning on. well from what I remember from past touchwiz.

J. Bravo

because when the home button gets pressed or the screen turns on, somehow stuff gets swiped or somethin and i end up butt dialing people, sending texts full of gibberish, opening tons of apps, taking pictures, etc. all in my pocket, hands free. it's annoying af. I'm pretty sure it killed my battery today as well, since I unplugged at 655 and by 130 I was at 35%.

Ty4on

because when the home button gets pressed or the screen turns on, somehow stuff gets swiped or somethin and i end up butt dialing people, sending texts full of gibberish, opening tons of apps, taking pictures, etc. all in my pocket, hands free. it's annoying af. I'm pretty sure it killed my battery today as well, since I unplugged at 655 and by 130 I was at 35%.

I know it's a workaround, but you'd probably fix that if you put the phone in your pocket with the screen facing out and away from you.

Wreav

Banned
I know it's a workaround, but you'd probably fix that if you put the phone in your pocket with the screen facing out and away from you.
Great way to crack your screen when you run into a corner of a desk. But seriously, are you wearing skinny jeans?

NotBacon

edit: also, why can't I set up any security on my phone? i have fingerprints activated but it only makes me use it when I have a notification. same with the pattern and pin. and is there a way to make it so the physical button being pressed doesn't turn the screen on? that is kind of an issue too, when it's in my pocket.

Go through the settings menu in your texting app, and go through the Display settings in your Settings app. The setting you seek should be in one of those two places. If not, thank Samsung.

As for your texts, where are they coming from? Are you talking about texts that are already on your device? They don't need to be transferred. All texting apps look in the same system location for text conversations.

so put your phone in your purse.

Husker86

Does anyone know if Google mentioned if paying with Android Pay will qualify you for the same rewards from your card issuer as a normal credit card payment would? Specifically the increased rewards at specific merchants and such.

Right now, Google Wallet screws with that since they act as the actual debiter, rather than the merchant. So basically you never get bonus rewards if, say, your card gives extra points for Gas Stations/Grocery stores.

Apple Pay, at least with Amex, grants you full reward earnings.

Settings->Applications->Default Applications->Messages

SimleuqiR

Does anyone know if Google mentioned if paying with Android Pay will qualify you for the same rewards from your card issuer as a normal credit card payment would? Specifically the increased rewards at specific merchants and such.

Right now, Google Wallet screws with that since they act as the actual debiter, rather than the merchant. So basically you never get bonus rewards if, say, your card gives extra points for Gas Stations/Grocery stores.

Apple Pay, at least with Amex, grants you full reward earnings.

Settings->Applications->Default Applications->Messages

I think Android Pay will be a straight up clone of Apple Pay. The only difference is Google is not getting a cut of the transactions, as where Apple is with their Pay system.

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/pay/

Pimpwerx

I so want that phone man. Is Nova Prime really that much better than LG's?
Nova was my favorite launcher for my tablet, but on phones I like something like Blinkfeed to keep my news and social media sorted. In that regard, Google Launcher is better. I will keep Nova Prime for anything that uses landscape mode as standard though. The gestures and customization seems best suited to tablets. PEACE.

Top Bottom