• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

All Motorola needs to do is fix the battery. I can live with the camera. They seem to get a bit better every year. Just plug a big battery in there and release the same phone with updated specs and I'd get it day 1.

2800 minimum plssssssssssssssssss. Moto and Nexus are my only realistic worth waiting to see devices. I don't count oneplus 2 because it'll be out by then. Also I don't think the M9 will be disappointing. It looks to be an improvement over the M8 in every single way if the leaks are all 100% accurate. Could be worse.

Google to finish 2-in-1 Chromebook development in 1Q15

Google is planning to push 2-in-1 devices in 2015, according Digitimes Research's inquiries within the upstream supply chain. Google's 2-in-1 Chromebook designed by Quanta Computer is expected to be completed by the end of the first quarter.

The device features a detachable form factor and runs Android in the tablet form and Chrome when attached to a keyboard. The product's availability shows that Google has achieved a dramatic advance in its progress integrating Android and Chrome OS.

The 2-in-1 Chromebook is believed to be launched under the Google brand. Google announced plans to develop products and applications to seamlessly integrate Android with Chromebook at Google I/O in June 2014. In addition to Google, some brand vendors also plan to launch 2-in-1 Chromebook products in 2015, Digitimes Research's findings showed.

In 2014, worldwide Chromebook shipments reached 6.5 million units, but over 85% of the volume was sold in the US, and over 80% of the sales were K12 and below education procurement orders, which was not healthy for Chromebook to expand its market presence.

Wreav

Banned
And another year of Google not realizing that Chrome OS needs to go away, and Android needs to get the desktop love it deserves.

Toki767

Lollipop on the G3 finally squashed Android System and Android OS being the anywhere from 10-20% of battery usage reporting. Not sure if Google fixed that or if LG did. Probably not Google.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Has anyone used any S View covers? Noticed unusual battery drain by any chance? I'm seeing some reports online, but I wanted to confirm before I stripped my poor phone naked.

And speaking of which, what are the best Note 4 covers? No girthy otters pls.

Edit: Back to battery killers

I'm a huge fan of "Ok Google", so I enabled it "from any screen" and through Nova launcher. Anyone done this and noticed crazy batter drains?

All Motorola needs to do is fix the battery. I can live with the camera. They seem to get a bit better every year. Just plug a big battery in there and release the same phone with updated specs and I'd get it day 1.

2800 minimum plssssssssssssssssss. Moto and Nexus are my only realistic worth waiting to see devices. I don't count oneplus 2 because it'll be out by then. Also I don't think the M9 will be disappointing. It looks to be an improvement over the M8 in every single way if the leaks are all 100% accurate. Could be worse.

I have no idea why, but the front camera on the Moto X lags to hell and back. They need to improve their camera.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lollipop on the G3 finally squashed Android System and Android OS being the anywhere from 10-20% of battery usage reporting. Not sure if Google fixed that or if LG did. Probably not Google.

Honestly Lollipop on my G3 might be the best Android update I've gotten on any Android device I've had. Fixed a ton of little things while improving the feel a tad.

For an 801 device I've got zero current complaints. Runs smooth. I get good battery life. Picture taking is snappy. Really no current complaints.

I guess I'm not getting how it's supposed to work. Now I can see text messages on the lock screen but why do I have to swipe down first before I can tap the message to go to the Messaging app?

Patriots7

Anyone rocking an iPhone and an Android OS tablet?
I keep selling every iPad I purchase out of not really needing one, but I actually now need a tablet for work and am deciding to try something new.

Anyone rocking an iPhone and an Android OS tablet?
I keep selling every iPad I purchase out of not really needing one, but I actually now need a tablet for work and am deciding to try something new.
I have an ipad but my nexus 9 and iphone 6 are mains right now.

I have no idea why, but the front camera on the Moto X lags to hell and back. They need to improve their camera.
I totes agree but it's not a deal breaker for me like battery is.

I'm looking to sell my surface pro 2. Got one, rarely ever used it, bleh. I always end up going to the tablet instead.

It sounds dumb on the face of it, but I honestly wish that my SP2 could run both Windows and Android at once using virtualization. Android isn't particularly complex and could be quite happy inside Windows as a virtual OS. Having real Windows on a tablet is nice but all the apps I like to use are on Android, and as far as pulling the thing out and poking the screen to do something fast and simple is concerned, Android blows Windows away.

injurai

Banned
Think I might get my first smart phone this weekend. On verizon and not really sure what to get, or maybe I should be waiting a bit longer at this point?

I think the Moto X and the LG G3 are the most attractive phones to me. But like I said I don't really know what's out there.

Gambit61

I was on 4.1.2 all this time. I know right.

I skipped 4.3 but damn did I take my sweet time getting to 4.4.2.

I'm really curious how my battery does with the listen for OK Google always on feature and I'm going to leave it on a day and see what happens.

lol yeah. 4.4.2 has been mostly smooth for me but lately I was getting some weird lag. Recently did a full reinstall and it's been fine so far. Hope it stays that way.

Google Services is good and bad at the same time. The bad: when Google is pushing shit behind the scenes and shit takes up 16% of your battery.

I'm nearing the end of the Chimera Ant arc. I've rewatched the finale for the Netero fight like 3 times today, that final smile was so good. Gonna have to rewatch that fight after in the woods once I finish the arc. Still can't believe what happened.

Think I might get my first smart phone this weekend. On verizon and not really sure what to get, or maybe I should be waiting a bit longer at this point?

I think the Moto X and the LG G3 are the most attractive phones to me. But like I said I don't really know what's out there.
Depends what your preferences are. Droid turbo on verizon is probably one of the better phones. If you're looking at an HTC/Samsung/LG flagship then definitely wait as they are imminent. New Moto X isn't coming until Q3/Q4 though.

First smartphone though? Maybe wait for the HTC One M9 being revealed on March 1. Touchwiz is too confusing for a first timer imo. Moto X is a good option as well. iPhone 6 is obviously a great option for a first smartphone as well. Depends what you're into.

Husker86

It sounds dumb on the face of it, but I honestly wish that my SP2 could run both Windows and Android at once using virtualization. Android isn't particularly complex and could be quite happy inside Windows as a virtual OS. Having real Windows on a tablet is nice but all the apps I like to use are on Android, and as far as pulling the thing out and poking the screen to do something fast and simple is concerned, Android blows Windows away.
DuOS. Well worth the $10. I use it on my SP3.

They have a month long trial period if you wanna try it out.

NotBacon

It's fine to stan and all, but at least be right if you're going to do it. Gmail on Android is gross and you should feel gross for liking it.

iOS users see more emails in Inbox view and WAY more content once inside emails.

KQOpLDr.png

2iDvGmN.png

In general, I feel like Android, or maybe the Note, have some DPI issues that would fix this. There's no reason for content to be that fucking huge on a Note 4, especially considering my font is set to small and I'm using a lighter version of Roboto than stock.

1. Gmail on Android is the exact opposite of gross. Probably the best app from elGoog at the moment.

2. You can turn off that Social/Promotion junk and the inbox will look the same as your iOS inbox.

3. That seems to be a HTML formatting problem there. Most emails (and all text-only emails) are nice and dense. Yes it will be a hair less-dense than your precious iOS Gmail (which has problems of its own), but holy shit are we splitting hairs here.

Is there any way to get mono sound or to force the left or right channel on a Z3 Compact?

I only wear one earbud at work so I'd rather the sound wasn't coming out of both earbuds.

Anyone?

My previous Android phones had this feature and I'll be pretty surprised if the Z3 Compact can't do it.

Vanillalite

Unless you're getting a deal I'd wait the 2 weeks till the new Samsung and HTC devices are shown.

terrier

On my 5th day with my new Note 4 and I'm absolutely in love. I've got rid of TW as much as possible, and tweaked/disabled as much as I can to have it look like my Nexus 4, which really helped. I'm also discovering small things every now and then, be it with OS features or the S pen, and it's blowing me away.

My biggest issue, though, has been the battery. My average SOT has been 3-4hrs with 20-22hrs on battery time. Now I know new batteries take a bit to bed in, but this is not normal, right? Which leads me to believe that I've always had serious battery draining apps/widgets running but didn't care to investigate "cause it's Nexus 4, and the battery naturally sucks."

Here are some screens if anyone would care to help me out:

Here are the biggest changes I've made with phone/system:
- Samsung case with S View. I like it but I'll chuck it if it's killing my battery
- Runtime changed to ART
- Nova prime launcher installed, made to look like lollipop as much as possible. (Too much white?)
- Disabled as many bloatware as I can without rooting
- Have the following widgets installed (same set I've used on my Nexus):
--- Beautiful widgets clock/weather combo 4x1 (uninstalled as the time of writing because I'm suspicious)
--- Google calendar widget
--- Google keep widget
--- Facebook 4x1 widget (uninstalled as well, but consumption isn't that much different)
--- expense manager widget (2x1 simple button/shortcut)
--- Dictionary.com 4x1 widget
--- S Pen widget (I can't sticky my notes anymore because of Nova)

I'm a bit lost so any help would be appreciated. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on how it performs without the clock widget (anyone has a better recommendation for clock/weather? Something clean and minimalist please). I'll also go back to Dalvik runtime cause I heard it doesn't run as good on the Note 4. I just to figure this out because battery life was the biggest attraction. Also because I just bought a Chromecast (true bliss) so I don't want my phone to be even more strained.

#haaaaalp

have you tried adapt sound? iIt is quite awesome. Btw Lollipop is already rolling for note 4, updated mine via odin and so far so good :)

Hasney

Anyone?

My previous Android phones had this feature and I'll be pretty surprised if the Z3 Compact can't do it.

There's probably some apps in the app store that can do this. Try poweramp? Not sure if you need to then play the media through it or not or if you need root to male it system wide or what.

Hasney

Goddamn, today I've decided to use my Nexus 6 heavy and it's surprisingly holding up. 1 hour of Google Play music, torrented then watched an hour of video and the streamed an hour of video over iPlayer all on LTE and I've only just dropped past 40% after having it off charge for 9 hours. It's a shame some people have such an inconsistent battery experience.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I know this OT has a bunch of prolific posters. Does anyone want to write opinions on a blog? PM Vanillalite if you're interested. It's just for fun for now.

Goddamn, today I've decided to use my Nexus 6 heavy and it's surprisingly holding up. 1 hour of Google Play music, torrented then watched an hour of video and the streamed an hour of video over iPlayer all on LTE and I've only just dropped past 40% after having it off charge for 9 hours. It's a shame some people have such an inconsistent battery experience.
I am one of those people with unpredictable battery life :(

Vanillalite

Supposedly G3 users are seeing spotty battery life too post update, but if you clear cache or factory reset it goes away.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, just realised that was a bad thing even with my constant usage. I've not actually been on WiFi for most of the day, so I'm wondering if that kept it awake since that bar is solid too.

No, they are independent.

And that terrible cell reception. If he sorted those out he could have lasted even longer. Odd that screen is still the top battery drain though with that much awake time...

I get that too since Kitkat even when there is crazy drain from spme rouge app. I started to believe Google did that on purpose.

"What drain? there is no drain!"

Where the fuck is 5.1? Google?
Is it just me or has google gone completely silent android wise since 5.0. Either zero fucks are being given or they are preoccupied with cars and balloons and whatnot.

I'm expecting a big bug fixing release after all this. If we don't get it then it's official, they don't care any more.

Hasney

No, they are independent.

Ah bugger. I was damn satisfied with the battery life but now I know it can be better, I feel like an OCD person with cleanliness now.

And that terrible cell reception. If he sorted those out he could have lasted even longer. Odd that screen is still the top battery drain though with that much awake time...

Cell reception will never be fixed. Constantly switching between LTE and HSPA in the house

Where the fuck is 5.1? Google?

End of Feb

Hasney

Why are you saying end of February? That would be almost 4 months for the first large maintenance release.

5.0.1 and 5.0.2 were nothing.

That's what all the stories have been saying since that AndroidOne phone appeared. Just going by what they're saying.

Top Bottom