• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

Ah fair enough. To be honest, Bluetooth is now at the point where it's more than good enough, but it does depend on the decoder more than the phone for quality.

Nopren

I have problem with the Google now stock quotes card. I mistakenly swiped away a stock and now it won't show it again, even though I've tried to remove and re-add. It says in the settings that I follow it and it will show me all other stock quotes I have except the one I swiped away. I'm running the newest android build on a Nexus 5, if that helps.
Or maybe someone has a Google now support email I can ask?

EDIT: It worked itself out again. Don't quite understand the ways of the cards.

Husker86

There's still lag with Bluetooth.

Depending on the car, it has gotten almost negligible. On my 2014 Ford, I can have a Netflix video playing from my tablet with audio coming over Bluetooth. The lag is probably 0.5 seconds.

I feel I need to mention that I've only tested this on roadtrips for the benefit of my passengers, and will admit that having a video playing that is within my vision is probably not the best idea.

Hasney

"And the 7420" but let's just continue shitting on the 810.

Qualcomm is going to put out a great chip with the 820.

Yeah, but the 7420 doesn't overheat so let's continue shitting on the actually shit chip.

820 should be fantastic though, proper return to form.

I really hope the new Nexus 5 isn't going to use the 810. One Plus claims the chip got better, but Sony said the same about the 810 in the Z3+ (iirc).

I really hope the new Nexus 5 isn't going to use the 810. One Plus claims the chip got better, but Sony said the same about the 810 in the Z3+ (iirc).

LG didn't use the 810 in the g4. It'll probably use the 808 or 805. Especially if it's going to be lower priced. Also rumours said the same.

The bigger huawei variant on the other hand....

That's if all the rumours so far are true. WE NEED MORE LEAKS.

Hasney

Everyone says it now.

Hoping the 820 would be ready for the Nexus phone(s), but I can't see it unfortunately. It's 810 or 808.

Everyone says it now.

Hoping the 820 would be ready for the Nexus phone(s), but I can't see it unfortunately. It's 810 or 808.

There might be a small chance that comes with the 820. The Nexus 4 was also the first phone with the S4 Pro, iirc.

Still, the 808 would be more than good enough for me. I really just want a better camera and battery.

thenexus6

Fire phone is back on amazon 64GB for £99.

I am not in the loop or know much about rooting or flashing etc, but is it easy to wipe the phone and put on google now launcher and google services?

808 would be perfect. Who cares about CPU when we may finally get the Nexus 5 sequel we've all been waiting for. As long as nothing fucks it up it's all good. Who knows how they'll screw up nexus next year :p

Also something about the whole Sony Z3+ thing is weird. Wouldn't they test the phones? I guess they tested it and though meh good enough. Or maybe they straight up didn't test it.

Hasney

808 would be perfect. Who cares about CPU when we may finally get the Nexus 5 sequel we've all been waiting for. As long as nothing fucks it up it's all good. Who knows how they'll screw up nexus next year :p

Also something about the whole Sony Z3+ thing is weird. Wouldn't they test the phones? I guess they tested it and though meh good enough. Or maybe they straight up didn't test it.

Or maybe you'll be happy this year and then I'll get the sequel to the Nexus 6 we've all been waiting for. Everybody wins!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
We've gotten to the point where they are teasing the USB cable for the OPT

oneplus2_typec1-640x480.jpg

Does that matter if you're listening to music?

Strictly audio, no, but sometimes I have video playing for my kid and it would be way easier to hook it up to the car audio system wirelessly but the lag kills that possibility.

Depending on the car, it has gotten almost negligible. On my 2014 Ford, I can have a Netflix video playing from my tablet with audio coming over Bluetooth. The lag is probably 0.5 seconds.

I feel I need to mention that I've only tested this on roadtrips for the benefit of my passengers, and will admit that having a video playing that is within my vision is probably not the best idea.

Half a second is still pretty noticeable. I think in my 2011 car, it's probably about half a second too, maybe a bit longer. You can totally tell it's not in sync though. Heh the worst is when notifications come through and I hear it on my phone then a bit later through the car system.

DizzyCrow

Since I got no response in the Apps OT:

Is there any good lyrics app with offline support? it doesn't need to be a player I just want the lyrics without having to use the internet.

vdlow

Since I got no response in the Apps OT:

Is there any good lyrics app with offline support? it doesn't need to be a player I just want the lyrics without having to use the internet.

If the musics are mp3 in your device, you can use Musixmatch. It will need internet only on the first time, to sync the lyrics after scanning your library.

If you're using Spotify or other streaming services, it won't be able to scan your library and download all lyrics at once. If there's an internet connection when the music is playing, it will download the lyrics and then in the next time you won't need to be connected to get the lyrics for this music.

Quasar

Well. Playing around with the Songza playlists/stations that are part of the free tier of GPM. Works pretty well and frankly this is all I need to trial stuff. Certainly goos enough for me to not bother paying a sub service for stuff I like I'll just buy and upload to the locker (I'd want a lossless version anyway for home).

Though I notice the AndroidTV version does not seem to have been updated to include the UI for the Songza stuff. Or maybe its just because I'm outside the US and its a bit wonky.

Quasar

So with the Google Play Music update and Apple Music about to start it got me wondering about the Apple Music app for Android.

Just what do people imagine it looking like? Will it mostly be a android feature poor and mostly visually identical to the iOS app app? Will it for instance support airplay or googlecast? Would it even use material design?

Certainly if you go by iTunes and how alien its design is to the Windows app guidelines you'd say no.

Hell I kind of wonder why they are doing it at all. They are in a position of strength, unlike when Apple was forced to make a Windows iTunes to be successful. At least in the US.

Husker86

So with the Google Play Music update and Apple Music about to start it got me wondering about the Apple Music app for Android.

Just what do people imagine it looking like? Will it mostly be a android feature poor and mostly visually identical to the iOS app app? Will it for instance support airplay or googlecast? Would it even use material design?

Certainly if you go by iTunes and how alien its design is to the Windows app guidelines you'd say no.

Hell I kind of wonder why they are doing it at all. They are in a position of strength, unlike when Apple was forced to make a Windows iTunes to be successful. At least in the US.

They are in a position of strength, but still would be abandoning over half the market. They would be the only premium music service not available on multiple platforms.

I'm curious how it's going to look as well. I can see them going both ways--Apple design or Android design. Apple design way because, well, they're Apple and very proud of themselves. Android design way because they want to have the best music app on all platforms. Will definitely be interesting to see how it turns out.

is there anyway to customize the push notifications further, instead of making them all show/hide sensitive content? for example, I would like to hide sensitive content on Hangouts, but I want to show sensitive content (the email) for my email apps. is there a way to toggle them on a per app basis, instead of all of them?

Nexus 6, Nova Launcher.

Esqueleto

Banned
is there anyway to customize the push notifications further, instead of making them all show/hide sensitive content? for example, I would like to hide sensitive content on Hangouts, but I want to show sensitive content (the email) for my email apps. is there a way to toggle them on a per app basis, instead of all of them?

Nexus 6, Nova Launcher.

Set it to show all content. The app notification settings will let you set the apps you want to be sensitive. I'm on 5.0.2 so it might be different on 5.1.

Set it to show all content. The app notification settings will let you set the apps you want to be sensitive. I'm on 5.0.2 so it might be different on 5.1.

awesome, you're the man! is there anyway to make it so that it shows the name of the sender that the text is from, but not the actual text message content? on the lock screen to be specific.

edit: also, is there a push notification app that will stack the notifications for the same app on top of each other, as opposed to consolidating them into one notification? for example, if I get 2 emails, the push notification will be "2 new messages" as opposed to two different notifications for the two messages. what push notification apps do you guys recommend for a more ios-like experience (notifications that pop up in the center rather than the top)?

RedFyn

I set a password (pattern) on my n6 and apparently i set it to something other than what i thought. Now im sitting here guessing the pattern and waiting 30 seconds every 5 tries. Is there really no way to reset it? Or unlock it with my google password? I tried adroid device manager and when i set a new lock it tells me i have one already so a new one is unneeded. -.-

Any advice?

VoxPop

So when will they stop putting the 810 into phones? The next wave of flagships I'm guessing? Samsung was genius to bail on them. How are the MediaTek chips? OP2 will be a bust. Not sure why anyone would want to buy a mini heater for a phone unless you lived in Alaska or something.

Hasney

Steam app has been updated with some material design elements, but more importantly:

Will not use battery when it is inactive
Will not log in unexpectedly

The latter one of those made me uninstall it, so I'll install it now. It was hilarious though, whenever I got an email about a game being on sale on my Steam wishlist, it logged in. it was like "HEY ARE MY EARS BURNING?! TIME TO START UP!"

terrier

WTF happened with Qualcomm this year?

Even the low powered 615 seems to ovearheat easily in a number of devices. I was planning to buy an m4 aqua but will probably rethink it and wait for new socs later this year.

Ty4on

Everything is. A72s still seem too power hungry for mobile devices and will probably throttle hard for any prolonged load like the A57s. I find it kind of silly how ARM always mixes architectural advancements with silicon advancements which obscures the number we really want. Perf per watt and individual perf and power improvements (likely the other way for total power with A72 vs A57) on the same process with numbers.
Does anyone know how much better the frequency governor has gotten in the latest devices. Last gen devices (S4Pro, S600, S80X) had no idea what frequency to choose and it seemed like a big disadvantage unless it was too spread heat around by shifting threads. I know they can't selectively shut down cores which is why S810 has to shut down the entire A57 cluster when it overheats.
Intel Nahelem, from 2009, had much better turbo (advertised clock speed was worst case 24/7) and could shut off individual cores. But of course what we need are twelve core big.mid.somethingnotreallycore.small SoCs .
/rant
WTF happened with Qualcomm this year?

Even the low powered 615 seems to ovearheat easily in a number of devices. I was planning to buy an m4 aqua but will probably rethink it and wait for new socs later this year.
64-bit and they had no designs so they needed to use the same off the shelf ARM designs for CPU cores as everyone else. They also went heavy on core count because 8 core has become a must in Asia and probably the west as well. Last gen they never went above 4 and never used big.little (four powerful and four power efficient cores, most go with eight of the latter ones because they're cheaper and still eight cores).
Edit: Qualcomm's problems are probably deeper, but that's what I know. The GPU is still theirs though while the rest usually use Mali which is also supplied by ARM. Apple use PowerVR.

Top Bottom