• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Kuros

Have just picked up a Sony android TV due to my last Sony ones panel dying and the retailer being nice enough to give me it as a replacement.

I'll post a review up here later.

terrier

64-bit and they had no designs so they needed to use the same off the shelf ARM designs for CPU cores as everyone else. They also went heavy on core count because 8 core has become a must in Asia and probably the west as well. Last gen they never went above 4 and never used big.little (four powerful and four power efficient cores, most go with eight of the latter ones because they're cheaper and still eight cores).
Edit: Qualcomm's problems are probably deeper, but that's what I know. The GPU is still theirs though while the rest usually use Mali which is also supplied by ARM. Apple use PowerVR.

i heard the overheating is due to adreno GPUs, not sure if true though. It is weird they are having issues using standard ARM desing and others like mediatek, samsung or huawei don't seem to have such problems.
Seems a weird year, to upgrade. Maybe this fall the Note 5 may change my mind depending on what SOC uses.

When is Sony's next flagship slated to release in the UK

About to order a Z3, just wanna make sure there's not a new one coming out imminently

Also, how painful is it to transfer stuff? Never done it before

Mindwipe

When is Sony's next flagship slated to release in the UK

About to order a Z3, just wanna make sure there's not a new one coming out imminently

Also, how painful is it to transfer stuff? Never done it before

You're better off with the Z3 than the Z3+ anyway. It's cheaper and better.

What are you transferring from? Sony Devices have a so-so transfer app included.

You're better off with the Z3 than the Z3+ anyway. It's cheaper and better.

What are you transferring from? Sony Devices have a so-so transfer app included.

A Z1, seen the option to operate the transfer application but not used it yet

I'll order the Z3 then, thanks :)

What do you guys do with your old phones?

Hasney

A Z1, seen the option to operate the transfer application but not used it yet

I'll order the Z3 then, thanks :)

What do you guys do with your old phones?

If the conditions good, CEX. If it's not so good, one of those phone recycling places as they still give some cash.

You can sell it privately, but there's so much risk is using eBay these days as a seller, I'd avoid it. The buyer has wayyyyy too much protection now.

Material Theme Available For The Samsung Galaxy S6 And S6 Edge, Looks More Like Lollipop And Less Like Touchwiz

ZMp6TkC.png

5PyF8E3.png

so there's that...

what is the best visual voicemail app available in Canada? or how can I trick Google Play into letting me install the Google Voice/Google Wallet apps?

EmiPrime

No, it doesn't look as good as stock, but it's still miles better than the default TouchWiz look

That's not a very high bar ;)

It's too bad the GPE thing never really took off and was only offered in the US. An S6 with stock Android using the M fingerprint API and the back and menu buttons the right way round would be a very good phone. Shame that will never happen.

Yeah 16gb too low. I was also looking at the alcatel idol 3. Looking at YouTube impressions now and I don't know if I can go to a worse battery with the zenfone. Especially coming off of the g2.

Hasney

I messed around with a Zenphone 2. It's much better than the old Atom powered phones, obviously helped by Android having native support now and they're now powerful enough to deal with the slowdown in emulating ARM-only apps. It is worth noting though that there are still incompatibilities with some apps and ARM only apps that require a lot of power are going to chug a little, but it's easily a contender now if Qualcomm ever drop the ball again.

It's probably the right choice on a budget phone until the snapdragon 620 is out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know this is gonna be counter intuitive and also companies always send out there best BUT I'd like to see the 16 gig model reviewed. THAT IMO is the phone that could offer the real insane value for $200. Sure the $300 is better, but when talking about this in terms of cheaper off contract alternatives that $100 matters.

Hasney

I know this is gonna be counter intuitive and also companies always send out there best BUT I'd like to see the 16 gig model reviewed. THAT IMO is the phone that could offer the real insane value for $200. Sure the $300 is better, but when talking about this in terms of cheaper off contract alternatives that $100 matters.

Yeah, was the 64GB I played around with too. I don't think they're sending out 16GB models for review, hoping to do a G3 I think and hope people just see the reviews of the good one and just buy the cheaper one slighly blind.

According to that review, it's just on 5.0 at the moment. 2GB could be a constraint.

Jesus, Sony

Over 2 years and 2 flagships later, and the phones still don't Authenticate with certain routers without holding the WPS button, which just isn't practical and can kick other devices off the network

Looks like I need to delete all the data on the phone, according to the Support forums

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna upgrade from my LG G3 phone next year. I'm getting so sick of only having 16gb of space (even less actually) and the battery sucks, though I got 3 batteries with me when I go out.

I'm excited for the rumors to show up about next years phones. I'm pretty sure I will stay Android after shifting from iOS to Android last year.

Samsung S6 Edge information stream issues:

When is the information stream supposed to show? When the phone is locked it's not showing anything, no briefing notifications when there's a text or missed call or anything. Everything is set correctly in the settings. What can be going wrong? When will the information stream start showing missed calls and texts +the other streams that are enabled? The phone was purchased yesterday...

To clarify further, when a text is received it just shows on the main screen, then goes to sleep.

edit: im a fool, didn't realize you have to swipe for it to come up. is there a way to make it come up automatically when the screen is locked?

NotBacon

Anyone hear about 5.1 on the Verizon Moto X 2013 yet?
I just need to know when to go help my mom not freak out when she sees the differences lol

Kuros

Any update? I'm kinda looking at this also.

Sorry completely forgot!

This is the TV we have http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-series (43") It's replacing a broken Sony 40" which was one of the monolithic design ones with a soundbar built into the stand. It had very basic smart software. Using a sort of cross media bar ala PS3.

First impressions of the actual TV are that it has a stunning picture but the sound quality is terrible. This is a recurring theme with pretty much any thin LED screen now as the speakers are pointing the wrong way and tiny. Not really a problem as most people have soundbars/receivers. Personally i had a spare set of Aego M's which will tide me over until i can decide on what i want.

Onto Android TV. It had to update out of the box which took a hell of a long time (it even does that Android is upgrading screen as it does on a phone) So about an hr later we finally had a working TV. lol. Early impressions of the OS are good. Its pretty simple to navigate. You can either use the remote, a sony app, or googles android TV one. The sony one is better imo, and doesn't seem to have the connection issues it had with our older TV.

In terms of apps, it has Netflix which has the new big picture design which is fine. Amazon instant video works aok and is vastly improved on the version that they had on the old TV. The default media player didn't seem to be able to play anything streamed from my PC using Mezzmo. I simply got messages like "can't play video". Thats a big step back from the previous Sony which could pretty much stream anything from my media server. This wasn't a problem as it finally kicked my ass into gear to using Plex as my server. The Plex android TV app is great and works perfectly. No issues with streaming anything i have thrown at it.

Apps distinctly lacking (bare in mind i'm in the UK) No iplayer, no 4od, no skygo etc. Google really need to get their act in gear helping these companies get their apps on the store. Its pretty pathetic right now for that.

Sony are solving this in some ways by implementing Youview for UK users which has all the UK streaming apps built in. The leaflet in the box says this update is coming in "The Summer" so who knows when. Obviously another way round this is using the built in google cast (which works fine) to fire streams to the TV from stuff like the iplayer. Not perfect but it will do until Sony get the update out.

I have to say once there are more apps on the store it will be great. I haven't tried Samsungs new Tizen system but i understand it's currently even more barren. Also there is no built in web browser which is not something i would use but something to note anyway. If there's anything you specifically want to ask fire away.

Oh and whilst i remember. I went into settings as and disabled the ambient light sensor. It was dimming the TV even in bright sunlight. Such a pointless thing for a TV imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any two way quick charge portable batteries?

Sorry completely forgot!

This is the TV we have http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-series (43") It's replacing a broken Sony 40" which was one of the monolithic design ones with a soundbar built into the stand. It had very basic smart software. Using a sort of cross media bar ala PS3.

First impressions of the actual TV are that it has a stunning picture but the sound quality is terrible. This is a recurring theme with pretty much any thin LED screen now as the speakers are pointing the wrong way and tiny. Not really a problem as most people have soundbars/receivers. Personally i had a spare set of Aego M's which will tide me over until i can decide on what i want.

Onto Android TV. It had to update out of the box which took a hell of a long time (it even does that Android is upgrading screen as it does on a phone) So about an hr later we finally had a working TV. lol. Early impressions of the OS are good. Its pretty simple to navigate. You can either use the remote, a sony app, or googles android TV one. The sony one is better imo, and doesn't seem to have the connection issues it had with our older TV.

In terms of apps, it has Netflix which has the new big picture design which is fine. Amazon instant video works aok and is vastly improved on the version that they had on the old TV. The default media player didn't seem to be able to play anything streamed from my PC using Mezzmo. I simply got messages like "can't play video". Thats a big step back from the previous Sony which could pretty much stream anything from my media server. This wasn't a problem as it finally kicked my ass into gear to using Plex as my server. The Plex android TV app is great and works perfectly. No issues with streaming anything i have thrown at it.

Apps distinctly lacking (bare in mind i'm in the UK) No iplayer, no 4od, no skygo etc. Google really need to get their act in gear helping these companies get their apps on the store. Its pretty pathetic right now for that.

Sony are solving this in some ways by implementing Youview for UK users which has all the UK streaming apps built in. The leaflet in the box says this update is coming in "The Summer" so who knows when. Obviously another way round this is using the built in google cast (which works fine) to fire streams to the TV from stuff like the iplayer. Not perfect but it will do until Sony get the update out.

I have to say once there are more apps on the store it will be great. I haven't tried Samsungs new Tizen system but i understand it's currently even more barren. Also there is no built in web browser which is not something i would use but something to note anyway. If there's anything you specifically want to ask fire away.

Oh and whilst i remember. I went into settings as and disabled the ambient light sensor. It was dimming the TV even in bright sunlight. Such a pointless thing for a TV imo.

I think the apps (iPlayer/4oD aside) are on par with any other TV OS. I think the potential is what has me interested. You try sideloading anything?

Top Bottom