• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm too used to my phone charging stupidly quick to drop the wire.

That's already coming though.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/25/8844719/wireless-quick-charging-qi

The Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) has announced a forthcoming update to the Qi standard that will allow it to deliver up to 15 watts of power to smartphones without using cables. "Several manufacturers already offer wired fast charging for their devices, providing as much as 60 percent charge in as little as 30 minutes. The latest Qi specification empowers them to extend this speed to wireless charging as well," said the WPC in a press release.

#WiredIsLastGen

Gave in and bought a G4 on ebay, I already fixed my phone's screen a few months after it got shattered and I don't really want to keep paying to get it fixed again and I couldn't see myself with a faulty phone for the next 3/4 months.

kmfdmpig

Cross posting from the Note thread (which seems to be mostly dead).

I got a free Note 3 back in November or so as part of a survey/app usage monitoring program. The six months of that ended and now I'm getting another one. I had the chance to choose which phone and chose Note Edge over Standard Note 4. I should have it in a few days. I'm starting to regret choosing the Edge now as the battery life is worse, the edge seems kind of gimmicky and the main screen is smaller.

For those that have used both -
Did I blow it by choosing Edge over vanilla Note 4?
Are there any thoughts on what advantages the Edge will offer me?
Does Nova Prime play nice with the Edge or would I just want to stick with TW?

Thanks!

Wreav

Banned
Note Edge is garbage, yes, it's true...but it's not a bad phone in the big scheme of things, just a dumb phone that has no true place in the smartphone world.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Cross posting from the Note thread (which seems to be mostly dead).

I got a free Note 3 back in November or so as part of a survey/app usage monitoring program. The six months of that ended and now I'm getting another one. I had the chance to choose which phone and chose Note Edge over Standard Note 4. I should have it in a few days. I'm starting to regret choosing the Edge now as the battery life is worse, the edge seems kind of gimmicky and the main screen is smaller.

For those that have used both -
Did I blow it by choosing Edge over vanilla Note 4?
Are there any thoughts on what advantages the Edge will offer me?
Does Nova Prime play nice with the Edge or would I just want to stick with TW?

Thanks!

It's a great concept that is poor in its execution. A persistent vertical bar would have been great. But as is, some apps just cause the edge to black out, making it a waste. I'd still take it over the normal Note 4, no questions.

Zukuu

Banned
I just upgraded my Z3 to Lolipop... WHERE THE FUCK IS SILENT MODE?! WTF. That's the biggest oversight I have ever witness. Ever.
I don't want to press my volume key and then enable the vastly inferior priority mode, I just want good ol plain no fucking message / ring sound, but vibration silent mode and I want to enable it via navigation onscreen. Wtf is this shit?!

I just upgraded my Z3 to Lolipop... WHERE THE FUCK IS SILENT MODE?! WTF. That's the biggest oversight I have ever witness. Ever.
I don't want to press my volume key and then enable the vastly inferior priority mode, I just want good ol plain no fucking message / ring sound, but vibration silent mode and I want to enable it via navigation onscreen. Wtf is this shit?!
Sam fixed it on theirs, blame your OEM for not loving you enough.

kmfdmpig

It's a great concept that is poor in its execution. A persistent vertical bar would have been great. But as is, some apps just cause the edge to black out, making it a waste. I'd still take it over the normal Note 4, no questions.
Thanks. Thanks to you as well wreav.
Looking forward to it as it should be a nice upgrade for my note 3.

kmfdmpig

Tell us more about the program you're in.

It's called Samsung mobility insights. At one point, but not any more, they were looking to add more people and I signed up. I think I found out about them on XDA-Developers, but don't remember for sure. They basically send a survey to figure out if they want to offer a trial device. For six months you have to use the device with an always running app (you can't root, etc...) which tracks what apps you use, etc... for them. Then you can deactivate the app and keep the device. I have been surveyed three times. Twice I got the device (Note 3 back in Nov. and Note Edge coming tomorrow). The other time they were looking for someone to use a Samsung tablet with a Samsung TV, but I have a Panasonic, so I didn't get that device.

I bought a Note 2 when it first came out and was planning to get a Note 4, but then got the free Note 3. Then I was planning to get a Note 5 (assuming it has an SD slot) and now am getting a Note Edge. Now I should be set until late 2016 or so, I think, so it's saved me a lot of money.

Interesting.

Android market share in US phone market unchanged for ~3 years:
52.2% Jul 2012 to 52.1% May 2015
iOS: 33.4% to 43.5% same time.

Also latest numbers show everyone went down except Samsung went up 0.1 lol. Which isn't good considering this includes s6 launch.

1) compared may to july.
2) skipped the middle years

May 2014 Android 52.1% Apple 41.9%
May 2013 Android 52.4% Apple 39.2%
May 2012 Google 50.9% Apple 31.9%

dat 20% of the pie for RIM/MS/Nokia is now 6% for MS/BB

and as for Sam.
May 2014 27.8%
May 2013 23.0%

Wreav

Banned
Those Android/iOS stats really bear a few things out:

Android flagship handsets are clearly overpriced and underdelivering.

Apple's "Don't break the stuff that works and slowly improve what doesn't" method isn't hurting them like many Android fans would have you believe.

The spec wars don't mean a thing. Apple gaining big shares with a 1GB phone.

I wonder what the android space will look like in 5 years. Sammy, LG, and Motorola will probably still be there but not too sure about Sony and HTC.

Those Android/iOS stats really bear a few things out:

Android flagship handsets are clearly overpriced and underdelivering.

Apple's "Don't break the stuff that works and slowly improve what doesn't" method isn't hurting them like many Android fans would have you believe.

The spec wars don't mean a thing. Apple gaining big shares with a 1GB phone.
But does it really matter? IPhone is the defacto smartphone for people to get. It's the power in a name.

Pachimari

So is this a problem with my phone or the mobile GAF site?

Every time I go into a thread, in a few seconds of loading if completely crashes.

And it is frustrating me to no end now, that the site is crashing every time.

I tried clearing the cashe and data from the Chrome app too to no avail.

:(

So is this a problem with my phone or the mobile GAF site?

Every time I go into a thread, in a few seconds of loading if completely crashes.

And it is frustrating me to no end now, that the site is crashing every time.

I tried clearing the cashe and data from the Chrome app too to no avail.

:(
Gaf has been facing problems all day.
All that matters is the race to octo-core and QHD has been for naught and is actually damaging the OEMs that participate in that.
I guess but I'd rather not see progress stifled for the sake of Apple profits.

Wreav

Banned
I guess but I'd rather not see progress stifled for the sake of Apple profits.

"Progress" to me is a version of Android that can be buttery smooth in all situations without 16gb of RAM and a 24 core cpu.

do you think they'd sell more and/or be more profitable if they didn't? i think more people would just buy iPhones.

They'd be smarter to focus on the low income and emerging markets instead of targeting Apple directly, as long as Android is still janky on high end hardware. Too many people learning their lesson buying a $1000 off contract phone that can't handle scrolling in Twitter.

People would shit their drawers for a good $300 off contract phone.

"Progress" to me is a version of Android that can be buttery smooth in all situations without 16gb of RAM and a 24 core cpu.

They'd be smarter to focus on the low income and emerging markets instead of targeting Apple directly.

People would shit their drawers for a good $300 off contract phone.
Optimization is needed for that goal. But what I was referring to was tech that isn't simply "good enough" which Apple loves to do.

Besides, did the One Plus light the world on fire? You might answer with the issue of availability, but I still don't see it.

Wreav

Banned
Besides, did the One Plus light the world on fire?

Between their asinine pre-order system and yellow panel issues, I think that's a moot point.

Just look to the Moto E/G to see how successful a good mid range phone can be.

Also thinking that the Apple Ax series of SoCs has been just "good enough" is incredible. Apple has been dominating mobile hardware exclusively until 2015, when Samsung managed to catch up on both the SoC and camera fronts.

One plus did as well as they possibly could have with their stupid system. But they need to prove their revenue model real soon. It can't exist as some hobby from a sister company forever.

Apple is poised to leave people copying them real soon once they put force touch into their phones. Then they'll do it again when they put the finger print scanner in the screen itself. Also I'm sure they'll be the first to do dual cameras right.

People focus on RAM and other shit but apple kills it hardware wise.

Top Bottom