• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

hitgirl

Can someone explain me music storage on Android/Google. I'm coming from Windows Phone where I have 3TB of storage on OneDrive and my music just plays out of that. With Android I got Google Music but not sure how to upload my music. And I have GoogleDrive that has a folder with my music in it and every day on my computer it tries to Sync the 10GB of files and absolutely destroys my internet bandwith.

EmiPrime

Can someone explain me music storage on Android/Google. I'm coming from Windows Phone where I have 3TB of storage on OneDrive and my music just plays out of that. With Android I got Google Music but not sure how to upload my music. And I have GoogleDrive that has a folder with my music in it and every day on my computer it tries to Sync the 10GB of files and absolutely destroys my internet bandwith.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1229970

It doesn't use your Google Drive storage.

to me the device means more than anything. If the nexus 5-2 has a decent battery and a fingerprint scanner and is basically the nexus 5 redux. I gots ta get that asap. Who knows if we'll get that again. And if we do get the same thing next year with an 820 you bet your ass I'll get that too :p

what makes you think they'd make a verizon one o_0

Well they did make a N6 Verizon version.

jwk94

What's up with Moto devices shutting down at 6% or 7% battery? I thought it was just my Moto 360 until I got my Moto X 2014 and it started doing the exact same thing.

what makes you think they'd make a verizon one o_0
Well, I thought that it might be available through a carrier instead of only off contract. If I can only buy it off contract and not through a carrier then I guess I've got to give the 5-2 a pass.

Edit: Also, it is worth mentioning that Verizon blocked the previous N5 from its services so....yeah.

Cipherr

Woof. Yeah Google Music storage is separate from drive thankfully. You need to get the GMusic desktop client, point it to local storage of all your music, and let it sync it all. It has a capacity of 50,000 songs for free. Size of the songs doesn't matter.

thenexus6

God my Z1C has the worst wifi, every Sony product I own does. If One plus announce their new phone soon properly I might get it, or the original one plus one.

There's a rumour that the Z5 will come this September. 4GB ram, 4500mah battery, 820:

While the Xperia Z4 and Xperia Z3+ were evolutionary, the Xperia Z5 is revolutionary. Although there are no details about the display, the rumor has Sony counting on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC to power the phone. 4GB of RAM is inside and Sony will be employing a fingerprint scanner on the new model. A massive 4500mAh battery keeps the lights on.

The rear camera on the Xperia Z5 is expected to feature the latest 21MP Sony Exmor RS IMX230 CMOS sensor, which will support 4K video recording and HDR capabilities. The same OmniBalance design will be used, which might be a disappointment to some.

Back in April, a somewhat similar rumor had the Snapdragon 820 powering the Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Ultra and Xperia Z5 Compact, with 4GB of RAM on board. While that rumor had all three models sporting 1440 x 2560 QHD screens, it also had the Qualcomm Ultrasonic Sense ID fingerprint scanner found on the Xperia Z5 Ultra only. This rumor suggested that the Xperia Z5, Xperia Z5 Compact and Z5 Ultra would be completely redesigned and would not sport the OmniBalance design.

we'll see lol, never heard of the source. But it's not the first time this rumour has come up.

Wreav

Banned
So I haven't been paying a ton of attention, but does the 820 support the in-screen fingerprint reading, or just ultrasonic through the back of the chassis?

So I haven't been paying a ton of attention, but does the 820 support the in-screen fingerprint reading, or just ultrasonic through the back of the chassis?

The ultrasonic waves can also pass through metal, plastic, glass and whatever the user may have on their hands, meaning that developers have some additional flexibility when implementing Qualcomm’s technology.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This year has been so wack as far as phones go, and shit is moving so fast.

Not that we haven't gotten some good devices like the GS6 and G4. but man last year was much more of a smooth curve.

It's here on my Z3 (says it is running 5.0.2)

That's different from stock Android. Normally the options are "None", "Priority" and "All". The None option even mutes alarms, which is the most pointless feature Google has ever made and makes the silent modes too confusing.

The biggest crime is that none of them mute media, so you can accidentally start videos (with audio) on Twitter and there's no silent mode to stop those from playing audio!

This year has been so wack as far as phones go, and shit is moving so fast.

Not that we haven't gotten some good devices like the GS6 and G4. but man last year was much more of a smooth curve.
I say this again though. GS6 and G4 were good but isn't that like....2 out of the 3 flagships we've seen so far? That's pretty good imo. Z3+ isn't Sony's next flagship so that never counted.

We still have OP2, Moto X 2015, Nexus phone(s), Note 5, and according to the rumour above a potentially ridiculous Z5.

Of course next year when wider implementation of the 820, and fingerprint scanning and type c and hopefully better battery in samsung's case take place it will be a great year. Also will be interesting to see what HTC comes up with as their hail mary.

Volotaire

Sony too. Recent rumours point to their next phone being even more gaming focused. The Xperia seems like it could be a great companion device to the Playstation family. The 820 chipset family should be a solid move forward after the 810 issues.

EDIT: Ah you mentioned Sony.

hitgirl

Gah I can't decide which phone... I can't wait until Nexus 2015 or Moto 2015, my windows phone is driving me crazy and I want to get out of Verizon while there's still chance.

Moto X was a strong runner at $289 but no wireless charging is a deal breaker. Nexus 6 is too expensive for my taste. One Plus One strong runner but no wireless charging. One Plus Two still no wireless charger and 810 is a damn near deal breaker.

SO that leads me.. Can you get a Nexus 5 cheaply anywhere? That can hold me over until this time next year when the Motos 2015 and Nexus 2015 are in my price range.

Gah I can't decide which phone... I can't wait until Nexus 2015 or Moto 2015, my windows phone is driving me crazy and I want to get out of Verizon while there's still chance.

Moto X was a strong runner at $289 but no wireless charging is a deal breaker. Nexus 6 is too expensive for my taste. One Plus One strong runner but no wireless charging. One Plus Two still no wireless charger and 810 is a damn near deal breaker.

SO that leads me.. Can you get a Nexus 5 cheaply anywhere? That can hold me over until this time next year when the Motos 2015 and Nexus 2015 are in my price range.
just wait

don't be weak, I know using windows phone is like being waterboarded every time it's in your hand but you can do it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My phone died over the weekend sadly. I bought an unlocked Nexus 6 off Amazon. From my understanding I should be able to put in my Verizon sim card and have it work without having to do anything else, right? I shouldn't need to activate it through them, right?

Everything I've read said it works on both GSM and CDMA networks.

Wreav

Banned
My phone died over the weekend sadly. I bought an unlocked Nexus 6 off Amazon. From my understanding I should be able to put in my Verizon sim card and have it work without having to do anything else, right? I shouldn't need to activate it through them, right?

Yep

hitgirl

just wait

don't be weak, I know using windows phone is like being waterboarded every time it's in your hand but you can do it.

Googy give me strength.

I read that unlocked Nexus 6 doesn't work well on Veirzon. Like somethings will work, some things won't.

jwk94

So my girlfriend's sister took her Nook and I want to get her a repalcement tablet that can be used to read her Nook stuff but I don't want to get her a Nook tablet because that doesn't seem like a smart investment. What's the best Android tablet that would suit my needs? Price isn't exactly an issue. I'm currently looking at the Samsung S or something along those lines. There's also another galaxy tab that's branded as a Nook tablet that I'm looking at.

So my girlfriend's sister took her Nook and I want to get her a repalcement tablet that can be used to read her Nook stuff but I don't want to get her a Nook tablet because that doesn't seem like a smart investment. What's the best Android tablet that would suit my needs? Price isn't exactly an issue. I'm currently looking at the Samsung S or something along those lines. There's also another galaxy tab that's branded as a Nook tablet that I'm looking at.
Nvidia's Shield tablet is a great Android tablet as well. It even comes with a stylus.

http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

IF money isn't an option just get her an iPad Air 2 and be done with it.

jwk94

Nvidia's Shield tablet is a great Android tablet as well. It even comes with a stylus.

http://shield.nvidia.com/store/tablet
Hmm, that doesn't seem like a bad choice.

IF money isn't an option just get her an iPad Air 2 and be done with it.

Ok let's say money is an option lol. That's a bit much. I'd rather just go with an Android device since her current phone is my old Galaxy S5 and she doesn't seem to use her apple id when she's using her ipod.

Tab Pro 8.4

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hmm, that doesn't seem like a bad choice.

Ok let's say money is an option lol. That's a bit much. I'd rather just go with an Android device since her current phone is my old Galaxy S5 and she doesn't seem to use her apple id when she's using her ipod.
Well, to be honest, there aren't any good Android tablets. They're serviceable. I'd get an iPad if she's OS agnostic. Particularly for tech muggles.

hitgirl

So if you can use an unlocked Nexus 6 from Googy on Verizon, can you use a Moto X pure edition? Shit I might just stay on Verizon if I can get phones through google / montorolla. I don't like financing a phone or signing a 2 year contract.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 is one of the best Android tablets around and it's probably the best priced at the moment since Best Buy has had it on sale at $200 for awhile.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...lack/3715001.p?id=1219093181535&skuId=3715001

Wreav

Banned
So if you can use an unlocked Nexus 6 from Googy on Verizon, can you use a Moto X pure edition? Shit I might just stay on Verizon if I can get phones through google / montorolla. I don't like financing a phone or signing a 2 year contract.
Nope.

jokkir

I don't understand why video reviews of phones insist of having a section dedicated to speaker quality then playing it out loud to the camera to try and get a sense of how it sounds like for the audience.

Top Bottom