• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

They'd be smarter to focus on the low income and emerging markets instead of targeting Apple directly, as long as Android is still janky on high end hardware. Too many people learning their lesson buying a $1000 off contract phone that can't handle scrolling in Twitter.

People would shit their drawers for a good $300 off contract phone.

do you think they'd sell more and/or be more profitable if they did that? i think more people would just buy iPhones.

It's already written in stone why companies like samsung are fucked barring a miracle. They can't compete with apple on the high end and they have too much overhead and whatnot to compete with the chinese companies on the low end. It's GG on both ends.

ALSO, new Nexus 5-2 rumours say it isn't based on the G4. Google and LG are designing it from the ground up. The GOAT android phone of forever keeps on getting better.

Volotaire

Given waiting for 2016 H1 flagships might be too long for me, I will be seriously contemplating the Nexus this year. Although the allure of a completely new take on the Xperia line (Z5) and the HTC (M10) is so tempting. This Moto G can only get me so far.

Given waiting for 2016 H1 flagships might be too long for me, I will be seriously contemplating the Nexus this year. Although the allure of a completely new take on the Xperia line (Z5) and the HTC (M10) is so tempting. This Moto G can only get me so far.
I plan on getting the nexus (barring suckage) and upgrading next year. Get on my level son.

I don't know man. I think the monolith design of Nexus 5 is way better than the G4.
Which is why it's a good thing that the rumour is that the Nexus 5-2 is not based on the G4.

I'd be perfectly happy to get literally the same hardware as the 5 with better specs and scanner.

Wreav

Banned
do you think they'd sell more and/or be more profitable if they did that? i think more people would just buy iPhones.

I think if Samsung in particular made a push with 1 very solid mid-tier phone and ignored the high end market (S/Note), dropped the multimillion dollar ad campaigns, switched materials from metal to plastic, focused on battery life and camera, they'd be in a much better position.

Since they won't do this, they at least need to pare down to 3 models, mid-tier, a single S, and a single Note.

hitgirl

Which is why it's a good thing that the rumour is that the Nexus 5-2 is not based on the G4.

I'd be perfectly happy to get literally the same hardware as the 5 with better specs and scanner.

Oh, I completely read what you said wrong. Thought it WAS based on the G4. Now I'm hyped. I wish it was out sooner though.

I think if Samsung in particular made a push with 1 very solid mid-tier phone and ignored the high end market (S/Note), dropped the multimillion dollar ad campaigns, switched materials from metal to plastic, focused on battery life and camera, they'd be in a much better position.

Since they won't do this, they at least need to pare down to 3 models, mid-tier, a single S, and a single Note.
samsung did better when they had a differentiator that mattered to people. Simple as that. They did their best when their screen was better than the iphone. Unfortunately their shitty software and whatnot probably turned people off from getting another considering from s3 onward it was downhill. But they still had that big screen.

They need to pick something they can be best at. It won't be camera, apple will always be around them or better. It could be battery. Also agree they shouldn't try to play the margin game. If people are gonna spend a lot they figure they might as well just get an iphone.

jyoung188

I had my T-Mobile S6 Edge for a week but had to give it back because coverage just wasn't acceptable at my house and work.

I got a S6 Edge from Verizon and I've had that for about a week now and coverage is way better in the rural area I work and live in.

This is the first android phone I've had, been with Apple since the 3G and I gotta say that I love the phone. Battery life isn't great but sweet mother of Jesus that screen is a massive upgrade from my iPhone 5.

Lollipop has taken a little while to get used to but its been fun getting the phone dialed in for the way I use it, its so much more customize-able than iOS and there's a bunch of neat bells and whistles that are so un-Apple. All good so far.

mStudios

Lets see if anyone can help me out.

I have a Nexus 7 3/4G 2013 and I'm stuck in a bootloop.
I tried factory reset, Nexus Toolkit and nothing seems to work.

I don't know what happened.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Well there are 2 billion + people in China and India alone. There is a reason all of these companies we have never heard of exist and sell a shit ton.

Just image if you could get that kind of brand to go world wide.

Well there are 2 billion + people in China and India alone. There is a reason all of these companies we have never heard of exist and sell a shit ton.

Just image if you could get that kind of brand to go world wide.
apple is growing faster in china than xiaomi is

puts things into crazy perspective. Won't be long before they take india too. They just need to open up a factory or two there before they can start selling.

Vanillalite

apple is growing faster in china than xiaomi is

puts things into crazy perspective. Won't be long before they take india too. They just need to open up a factory or two there before they can start selling.

This is true. Apple has this weird status symbol thing in China going on where you haven't "made it" so to speak until you go Apple to an almost unhealthy extent where people are buying Apple stuff when they can't afford to really live.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is true. Apple has this weird status symbol thing in China going on where you haven't "made it" so to speak until you go Apple to an almost unhealthy extent where people are buying Apple stuff when they can't afford to really live.
People want nice things. Those low tier phones are rubbish. They're just better than dumb phones.

Vanillalite

People want nice things. Those low tier phones are rubbish. They're just better than dumb phones.

I'd love a McLaren P1 cause its super nice and all. Doesn't mean I can afford one or should go buy one. Nor does it mean my Corolla sucks and can't get me to and fro just fine.

Hasney

I'd love a McLaren P1 cause its super nice and all. Doesn't mean I can afford one or should go buy one. Nor does it mean my Corolla sucks and can't get me to and fro just fine.

But the difference is that phones are affordable, even if it takes a couple of sacrifices for some people.

The McLaren P1 would need a sacrifice of many virgins to be affordable for most people.

Vanillalite

But the difference is that phones are affordable, even if it takes a couple of sacrifices for some people.

The McLaren P1 would need a sacrifice of many virgins to be affordable for most people.

In the countries and situations most of us live in yes.

In places like China some people are extremely poor, but still gotta have that iPhone.

It probably goes pretty deep though. If you have an iphone you probably have a better chance of landing a better job that pays slightly more than what you have now. The problem is you can't be the one without it.

Quixzlizx

It probably goes pretty deep though. If you have an iphone you probably have a better chance of landing a better job that pays slightly more than what you have now. The problem is you can't be the one without it.

Chinese people take out their phones during interviews? Maybe that's why they're having trouble getting jobs.

Interesting.
Android market share in US phone market unchanged for ~3 years:
52.2% Jul 2012 to 52.1% May 2015
iOS: 33.4% to 43.5% same time.

Also latest numbers show everyone went down except Samsung went up 0.1 lol. Which isn't good considering this includes s6 launch.

That’s strange. There were various reports only a few days ago saying the opposite, where ios was losing ground (% sales YOY) in the US. Let me see if I can dig it out.

edit:
http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-back-top-us-vendor-thanks-galaxy-s6-kantar-report-1991714
http://wmpoweruser.com/kantar-windows-phone-gains-market-share-in-europe-at-expense-of-android/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Samsung-GS6-US-Sales-Bode-Well-For-Android-June-Quarter

Hmm, gain of 2.8% for android in the US compared to decline of 2.4% for ios. Quite amusing different methodologies used by Comscore? and Kantar could paint such drastically different pictures.

Cheebo

Banned
That’s strange. There were various reports only a few days ago saying the opposite, where ios was losing ground (% sales YOY) in the US. Let me see if I can dig it out.
In US? That is definitely not the case. The momentum for 6/6+ has been very strong for them domestically.

In US? That is definitely not the case. The momentum for 6/6+ has been very strong for them domestically.

Take a look at the links I've edited in. Kantar measures sales data based on specific period of time, whereas Comscore I think takes a snapshot based on usage to arrive at some sort of average? Which is more valid I dunno, but the reports couldn’t have been more different.

Sid

They need to have:
A single low end phone for $150
A single mid range phone for $300
A single S series phone for $600
A single Note for $700

per year with a good looking and fast OS and pair down all the Duos,Core,Young,Grand,Max etc. crap.

Ty4on

Also thinking that the Apple Ax series of SoCs has been just "good enough" is incredible. Apple has been dominating mobile hardware exclusively until 2015, when Samsung managed to catch up on both the SoC and camera fronts.
I'd say apart from RAM they're still superior. They're competitive without throttling to oblivion. If you need the power chances are you'll need it for more than 2 minutes, especially for gaming :p
The Exynos 7420 is from the Galaxy S6.
Snapdragon-vs-Exynos-vs-Apple-vs-Atom-chipset-throttling-tests.jpg

Anandtech did a big article on the 7420 and while I understood like 10% it was still clear that Samsung has made some big strides. The Snapdragon 810 GPU also seemed to be quite power inefficient. I'm guessing they pushed it too hard to stay competitive.

Hasney

Nah, the 810s main problem is its just using the basic ARM design and they made their gains by doing custom cores. Come the 820, they're back to custom and on the same die size as the Exynos so it should compete much better.

hitgirl

At this point I think $600 phones are ridiculous. The only thing they have which gives me device envy is a good camera. Other than that it's absolutely absurd to see people who make less then $20,000 finance a $600 phone.

EmiPrime

At this point I think $600 phones are ridiculous. The only thing they have which gives me device envy is a good camera. Other than that it's absolutely absurd to see people who make less then $20,000 finance a $600 phone.

I agree, the Nexus 5 price point is my sweet spot. It was possible to buy a 32GB Nexus 5 and a Nexus 7 for less than the cost of the iPhone 5S back then.

I don't think I could go back to expensive phones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just upgraded my Z3 to Lolipop... WHERE THE FUCK IS SILENT MODE?! WTF. That's the biggest oversight I have ever witness. Ever.
I don't want to press my volume key and then enable the vastly inferior priority mode, I just want good ol plain no fucking message / ring sound, but vibration silent mode and I want to enable it via navigation onscreen. Wtf is this shit?!

It's here on my Z3 (says it is running 5.0.2)

hitgirl

So what's the best phone around $350 that supports wireless charging and a 5"+ screen? Probably going to go with T Mobile pre-paid and switch whenever the new Moto X or Nexus come out later in the year. Can't really wait until October for news then November for release to get a new phone.

Should I buy Moto X or Zenfome 2? Both are $300 on Amazon.

You can get a Moto X for $289 here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191611529602?rmvSB=true

Been searching around a bit and the benchmarks for the 820 look promising. I think I'm just gonna try and stay with my S4 until next year if the new Nexii or whatever other new phones I may be interested in don't have the 820 and USB C by year's end. I want a fingerprint scanner too, but I could live without it. Hopefully all the Android OEMs using Qualcomm chips also use their new fingerprint sensors so they can be placed behind the screen.

Been searching around a bit and the benchmarks for the 820 look promising. I think I'm just gonna try and stay with my S4 until next year if the new Nexii or whatever other new phones I may be interested in don't have the 820 and USB C by year's end. I want a fingerprint scanner too, but I could live without it. Hopefully all the Android OEMs using Qualcomm chips also use their new fingerprint sensors so they can be placed behind the screen.
to me the device means more than anything. If the nexus 5-2 has a decent battery and a fingerprint scanner and is basically the nexus 5 redux. I gots ta get that asap. Who knows if we'll get that again. And if we do get the same thing next year with an 820 you bet your ass I'll get that too :p

Really hope the Nexus 5 isn't just an off contract phone, I like my Verizon edge plan.
what makes you think they'd make a verizon one o_0

Top Bottom