• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Ok let's say money is an option lol. That's a bit much. I'd rather just go with an Android device since her current phone is my old Galaxy S5 and she doesn't seem to use her apple id when she's using her ipod.

Tab Pro 8.4

Well, to be honest, there aren't any good Android tablets. They're serviceable. I'd get an iPad if she's OS agnostic. Particularly for tech muggles.
Surface 3 is the correct answer.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If she doesn't give a fuck about the fingerprint scanner then I'd say get her the 2nd gen iPad Mini. It's basically the same as the 3rd gen without the fingerprint scanner.

2nd gen mini is only $299 vs $399 for the 3rd gen. $299 is a much better buy.

I'd suggest the Nexus 9 ONLY if you can get it for $299. At $399 it's just frankly overpriced.

PS: I love my Nexus 7 and would kill for an updated model.

IISANDERII

Ugh updated to Lollipop recently and for fuck's sake will they ever get it right? Orientation lock sucks now because it doesn't lock to any position you want(vertical, inverted) and sometimes when typing the keyboard will randomly withdraw. These things worked ok before, why fuck it up now?

What's up with Moto devices shutting down at 6% or 7% battery? I thought it was just my Moto 360 until I got my Moto X 2014 and it started doing the exact same thing.
I thought it was just my phone. Worse part about it is that it does it randomly. Sometimes it dies once the battery hits 0% and other times it dies at 5%-6%. It died a couple times at 11% and I had the biggest wtf face.
Why not?
where are those $199 Surface 3s at? i mean, i even went with the suggestion of the Pro instead of the S based on the money comment.
I'm sure you can find that on eBay.

jwk94

Ugh updated to Lollipop recently and for fuck's sake will they ever get it right? Orientation lock sucks now because it doesn't lock to any position you want(vertical, inverted) and sometimes when typing the keyboard will randomly withdraw. These things worked ok before, why fuck it up now?

What device are you using? I haven't run into these problems on my Moto X. Although yesterday I had to do a factory reset because the screen went black and wouldn't come on. I had Android updates.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So if you can use an unlocked Nexus 6 from Googy on Verizon, can you use a Moto X pure edition? Shit I might just stay on Verizon if I can get phones through google / montorolla. I don't like financing a phone or signing a 2 year contract.

My friend bought a Moto x 2nd gen from Motorola and is able to use it. It's not the Pure Edition, however. The Pure Edition is a GSM model so that's why it won't work. You can still get the Verizon version, which is CDMA, if you want to stay with Verizon. I believe it has the bloatware and doesn't go up to 64gb, so it's not ideal.

If you're willing to keep your current phone for a few months, talk to them and get off contract for now and pick up the Nexus 5 when it comes out. I'd definitely talk to customer service before you commit to buying either a GSM or CDMA phone to weigh your options.

Hasney

Why are you suggesting this product over a ipad mini or nexus Tablet? what does this offer that the others don't? I legit don't know shit about the surface 3...

Surface PRO 3 is the best tablet you can buy, money no object. It's basically a real PC which will always murder iOS and Android. Not sure why the regular Surface 3 would be suggested though. Sure, it's OK, but the app store is lacking.

Volotaire

Surface PRO 3 is the best tablet you can buy, money no object. It's basically a real PC which will always murder iOS and Android. Not sure why the regular Surface 3 would be suggested though. Sure, it's OK, but the app store is lacking.

If you're looking into Surface pro's , wait until July 29 (the release date of Windows 10) or a little later to see the release of the Surface Pro 4. Because Windows 10 will have better tablet optimality among devices, and the Surface Pro 4 will have this in mind when designed as well as hardware upgrades, it makes sense to wait. Moreover, when it is announced, price cuts to the previous models will happen/drop in prices.

The lack of app store content is the killer if you want to use it as a tablet. However, as an ultrabook, it is a strong alternative.

I had the surface pro 2 and I really didn't enjoy owning it. As a tablet I always opted to use a nexus/ipad, just lighter smaller and easier to use in bed and whatnot. As a laptop it wasn't bad though, but I think I would have preferred a different laptop.

Either way, I'm sure the 3 is better but I wouldn't suggest a surface to 90% of people looking for a tablet.

hitgirl

Yea. That is the one downfall of the Surface 3. I'm actually returning mine this week. I love it but even with my discount it was like $750 for the 120+GB model, keyboard, and pen.

I think they are on the right track with the Surface 3 though. I don't really care much for the pro since it's hot, has a fan, and doesn't charge micro USB. The eventual evolution of a Surface 3 is exciting though, if they can continue to work on that fanless design and improve it.

Why are you suggesting this product over a ipad mini or nexus Tablet? what does this offer that the others don't? I legit don't know shit about the surface 3...
It features the full Windows OS so it's basically a productivity beast. It also doubles as a tablet and comes with a pen for note taking. I have the Surface Pro 3 so I suggested the Surface 3 since it's cheaper.
Basically this. Store is truly the major downfall. It sucks donkey balls compared to the app and playstore.
I had the surface pro 2 and I really didn't enjoy owning it. As a tablet I always opted to use a nexus/ipad, just lighter smaller and easier to use in bed and whatnot. As a laptop it wasn't bad though, but I think I would have preferred a different laptop.

Either way, I'm sure the 3 is better but I wouldn't suggest a surface to 90% of people looking for a tablet.
Hmmm, the stand didn't make it comfortable on your bed?
Yeah, yeah, Surface 3 is boss, but it ain't cheap, which is the name of the game here.
Yeah, I only mentioned the Surface 3 as a jest.

3phemeral

Went to visit my family for July 4th weekend and my mom's old Droid Razr HD was bugging out. Decided it was time to update her phone and bought her an S6 and damn, that thing takes amazing photos. Went to Universal Studios and took a few shots of the Simpson's-themed area using auto:

F8LTy2

ICIiiY

C4zXWb

I was so close to getting one for myself but I think I might be able to hold off until the end of the year.

Went to visit my family for July 4th weekend and my mom's old Droid Razr HD was bugging out. Decided it was time to update her phone and bought her an S6 and damn, that thing takes amazing photos. Went to Universal Studios and took a few shots of the Simpson's-themed area using auto:

I was so close to getting one for myself but I think I might be able to hold off until the end of the year.
Those photos look pretty good.

Basically this. Store is truly the major downfall. It sucks donkey balls compared to the app and playstore.

Hmmm, the stand didn't make it comfortable on your bed?
Nothing about it was comfortable in bed compared to a regular tablet. I enjoyed having full windows to an extent but all I was doing was browsing the web and watching videos before sleep time and it just wasn't worth the weight/dealing with windows when I could do the same things more easily on a much lighter/thinner form factor. I think the Surface is good but if it's going to be used only as a tablet I don't recommend it. That's just me though. Never tried the 3 of course. Just going off the pro 2.

Also latest reports in say HTC is back in the red and samsung aint doin that hot. AKA nothing new.

That's not a loss. Honestly though, I'd probably go to the S6 over the G4 just from experience/what I've read.

I basically see the S6 as an iPhone with Android on it. I'd rather have the G4. Especially since they are giving away a free battery, charging cable and leather backing till the end of the month. I'm up in the middle of this month for an upgrade.

Furyous

Anyone wanting to upgrade just wait or get last year's models. You will lose if you buy a current gen flagship.

It depends on the OEM and model. GS6>>>>everything last year. Other than that, you've got a point unless we're talking about the One Touch Idol 3, upcoming Nexus, OPO2, or Moto X 2015.

5.2 inches is my max so an international unbranded S6 is my best best at least today.

Yes if you take account everything like what you're paying vs what you're getting. Last year's models give better value and battery life.

it all depends on what you're coming from and how long you plan on keeping it. G4 will probably be just fine for the next 2 years but you'll be missing out on some good shit so it'll leave you wanting.

If you're fine with battery I don't think the S7 will offer much over the S6 other than better specs/benchmarks.

If you get the M9....you deserve it :p

Rest of the devices remain to be seen.

it all depends on what you're coming from and how long you plan on keeping it. G4 will probably be just fine for the next 2 years but you'll be missing out on some good shit so it'll leave you wanting.

If you're fine with battery I don't think the S7 will offer much over the S6 other than better specs/benchmarks.

If you get the M9....you deserve it :p

Rest of the devices remain to be seen.

Outside of Type C and the 820 catching on for next year, it will basically be the same story with battery life and cameras. The G4 is really a damn good camera, but for the most part, I'm sure the G5 camera can be better, but it won't mean the G4's is crap. It's going to be the same story every year, so why not upgrade now?

Outside of Type C and the 820 catching on for next year, it will basically be the same story with battery life and cameras. The G4 is really a damn good camera, but for the most part, I'm sure the G5 camera can be better, but it won't mean the G4's is crap. It's going to be the same story every year, so why not upgrade now?
But I mean fingerprint scanning and whatnot for the G4 at least. Two years is long to go without it.

Or jsut get last year's model. G3 has a very good camera and battery life is better. Plus you can get it for like half what you pay for the G4. Makes no sense to get the G4 or S6 over last year's shit (G4 more than the S6). S6 is great by all accounts and I would definitely recommend one if the battery life wasn't so bad.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes if you take account everything like what you're paying vs what you're getting. Last year's models give better value and battery life.
The $100 difference between the G3 and the G4 definitely doesnt seem like it is worth giving up the better screen, better camera etc for. Battery life seems comparable, maybe even better when web browsing.

And then you start missing it on any other device that doesn't have it.
yeah I use my banking app a ton because I use my credit card way more than my debit card and like to pay it off right away and man, I was entering my password like a caveman before they added fingerprint support.

The $100 difference between the G3 and the G4 definitely doesnt seem like it is worth giving up the better screen, better camera etc for. Battery life seems comparable, maybe even better when web browsing.

You can get a brand new LG G3 for $350 while a G4 is close to 600. So no, it's not just $100

Top Bottom