• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

longdi

Banned
I hate flashing and all that jazz. Not my thang. I've used other ad blockers built into browsers and they're never that good or really intensive.

Same. I think since KK, there really isn't a need to tweak your phone. I have used Sony/Samsung/LG default launchers just fine

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
John Gruber (inb4 bitching) was talking about the new ad blocking coming in ios9 and how good it does on examples like iMore, and he brought up a good point:

It's especially true on android if you browse on "heavy" pages the battery drains like a mother fucker. ESPECIALLY on chrome as well. Google will never block ads that's for sure but they need to find a way to force better ones.

Apple just leads the way. They did it with flash. Go ahead and look at the old GAF threads and find out how much people kicked and screamed until Apple drug them into the future. Now you'll find those same people praising Apple for killing flash.

It is done.

Hasney

Apple just leads the way. They did it with flash. Go ahead and look at the old GAF threads and find out how much people kicked and screamed until Apple drug them into the future. Now you'll find those same people praising Apple for killing flash.

It is done.

I think there's a massive difference in this though. Sure, there are benefits to the user as well, but since websites rely on that advertising revenue, they'll be pushed to their iOS apps with ads. Benefits Apple so everyone is using their ad platform more, which is the underlying aim I believe.

Once it's out in the wild, I'm going to bet a lot of websites are going to get much more annoying with popups to download their shitty, unoptimised app.

Lucifon

Right GAF, I need advice. I'm sick of my constant problems with my OnePlus One. Every update, but one, for the phone has had different but constant niggling issues. However, since 5.0 I've had the phone completely freezing (apps unresponsive including launcher) or the device refusing to wake from sleep (probably because it's completely froze up in sleep). It's literally once or twice every day and incredibly annoying.

Yesterday it happened, I hard-reset it as I always do, and all my widgets couldn't load, need re-setting up. All my apps have been logged out, social media, cloud storage, email clients, note-taking apps etc. And all Wifi passwords lost. I've had it with this phone.

So...what do I get? I was previously going to wait til the OnePlus 2 or the Note 5. But I don't think I can run the risk of facing similar problems again, even without CM doing the software. The Note 5 rumours are gearing up for an oversized S6, which isn't interesting or appealing to me - I loved the look of the Note 4, it seemed like they were really on the right track.

LG G4 looks good but maybe not quite as good as the S6? S6 is great, my old man has it, but I'd like to get something different to him really. I'm stuck!

Right GAF, I need advice. I'm sick of my constant problems with my OnePlus One. Every update, but one, for the phone has had different but constant niggling issues. However, since 5.0 I've had the phone completely freezing (apps unresponsive including launcher) or the device refusing to wake from sleep (probably because it's completely froze up in sleep). It's literally once or twice every day and incredibly annoying.

Yesterday it happened, I hard-reset it as I always do, and all my widgets couldn't load, need re-setting up. All my apps have been logged out, social media, cloud storage, email clients, note-taking apps etc. And all Wifi passwords lost. I've had it with this phone.

So...what do I get? I was previously going to wait til the OnePlus 2 or the Note 5. But I don't think I can run the risk of facing similar problems again, even without CM doing the software. The Note 5 rumours are gearing up for an oversized S6, which isn't interesting or appealing to me - I loved the look of the Note 4, it seemed like they were really on the right track.

LG G4 looks good but maybe not quite as good as the S6? S6 is great, my old man has it, but I'd like to get something different to him really. I'm stuck!
why not try oxygen OS just to see if it's a software issue or not?

Anyway....get an S6 or wait for the Q3/4 phones (moto x, nexus, note 5, possibly sony, and whatever else).

Lucifon

why not try oxygen OS just to see if it's a software issue or not?

Anyway....get an S6 or wait for the Q3/4 phones (moto x, nexus, note 5, possibly sony, and whatever else).

Almost certain it's software because it started right after the 5.0 update, never had that problem prior. CM on the OPO has been nothing but a buggy for me, one thing gets fixed and another thing gets broken. Oxygen OS apparently has it's own range of issues, and won't be updated until after the OnePlus 2 is released.

The new Nexus is certainly an option!

confuziz

Banned
Is the Huawei P8 any good? Internet reviews seem pretty mixed.

I just need a new phone with my subscription but I don't want to spend €40+ again each month

Is the Huawei P8 any good? Internet reviews seem pretty mixed.

I just need a new phone with my subscription but I don't want to spend €40+ again each month

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9260/the-huawei-p8-review

10 pages for you, enjoy! Just reading the conclusion alone makes it sound like something I wouldn't get. That Kirin chip seems like total trash. Get a zenfone 2 maybe if you need something to tide you over. Or wait for nexus. Or wait for OP2. Or Moto X 2015.

confuziz

Banned
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9260/the-huawei-p8-review

10 pages for you, enjoy! Just reading the conclusion alone makes it sound like something I wouldn't get. That Kirin chip seems like total trash. Get a zenfone 2 maybe if you need something to tide you over. Or wait for nexus. Or wait for OP2. Or Moto X 2015.

I can't, I need a new one before the 1st of august (because of the subscription). No idea what a zenfone is :lol

Vodafone. I can get these friends&family codes so it's the cheapest one for me (Netherlands)

I could swear reading something somewhere that said it does support vodafone bands. Not 100% sure though.

Capture_jpg.png

confuziz

Banned
Processor aside I would get the P8 over the ZP2. It just looks and feels better. Size is more manageable too

Great, thanks. I just need a decent phone, nothing special. My current phone is the S4 so I would guess it's a good upgrade.

I think he meant the Zenphone.

Ah you're right. I haven't heard of this phone so I guess it's not popular over here. Neither of the big providers (KPN, vodafone, t-mobile) seem to have it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So what are good solid options on Verizon? My sister is in the market to upgrade her S3. She is willing to go to a bigger phone, but within reason.

S5, 6, Edge, Note 3, 4, LG G3, G4, Sony Experia Z3v, HTC M9 and Moto X and Droid Turbo is what I told her to look at and see what's too big/small, then look at price.

So what are good solid options on Verizon? My sister is in the market to upgrade her S3. She is willing to go to a bigger phone, but within reason.

S5, 6, Edge, Note 3, 4, LG G3, G4, Sony Experia Z3v, HTC M9 and Moto X and Droid Turbo is what I told her to look at and see what's too big/small, then look at price.

pretty much just the s6 or g4 if you want the newest of the newest. The rest of the good stuff isn't coming for a couple of months.

I vote S6 of those 2.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is wifi-calling unique to iphone? EE in the UK just started offering it on iphone and that could be useful for me because I'm in a bad signal area with every operator. They do say they support it on their android devices, but only phones you buy from them - so I'm wondering whether it is a special app or firmware they use and not a stock android feature.

Hasney

is wifi-calling unique to iphone? EE in the UK just started offering it on iphone and that could be useful for me because I'm in a bad signal area with every operator. They do say they support it on their android devices, but only phones you buy from them - so I'm wondering whether it is a special app or firmware they use and not a stock android feature.

It isn't. Verizon put it on the Nexus 6 as well and I think it's there by default.

Three let you do it on any phone with an app.

It is done.

i was ok once Nanaca Crash released on Android.
still lots of sites with only Flash streams tho!

if she goes in person, she leaves with an Edge.

This may be a stupid question, but what is the best media player/app that grabs album art? I really wish PowerAmp had this built in, but it doesn't...

AndyD

aka andydumi
if she goes in person, she leaves with an Edge.

I was there a few weeks ago playing with stuff while the G2 was getting fixed and Edge is what I would have walked out with. The HTC, Sony and Notes were too big, the G4 was nice and the S6 seemed too thin and I hate the glass edge, but the Edge was just right and also had the "futuristic" aura because of the edge screen. Not sure how useful or practical it is, but it certainly differentiated it from everything else.

Mindwipe

It isn't. Verizon put it on the Nexus 6 as well and I think it's there by default.

Three let you do it on any phone with an app.

Apps aren't really proper wifi calling (and Three in Touch is terrible).

But as you say, it's in Android. Fairly new though, so not widespread.

I think it's because they reduced the silly ass bezel. Props if they get it to G3 levels.

Anyway phone is shaping up. I believe I read that it maintains the 1080p display. Which combined with a 3300mah battery has beast potential.

It is a 1440p screen. They removed the capacitive buttons to make bezel smaller.

3phemeral

How widespread are those touchscreen issues for the OPO? Every time there's an article on Android Police, it's always about the touchscreen failing to respond. Seems a deal breaker regardless of how good these specs are.

How widespread are those touchscreen issues for the OPO? Every time there's an article on Android Police, it's always about the touchscreen failing to respond. Seems a deal breaker regardless of how good these specs are.

Well presumably they learned their lessons. But yeah for sure OP phones are wait and sees if I ever decided to get one. Gotta wait to see the new nexus phones anyway so by then any issues will be clear.

There's beast potential so far though....hard to deny that. Only thing that I see could go wrong is the 810 but I'd be surprised if they pulled a Sony. We'll see.

RuGalz

No idea, I bought 6 of those for various friends/family members. No one complained.

Toki767

I wonder if the only reason they went with the 810 is that it's the only mobile CPU that isn't the Exynos that supports LPDDR4 RAM.

Another thing out of the oneplus2 ama today is that it will have WiFi calling and additional missing bands from the first one for better reception on some carriers. This is going to be an amazing phone. Also people that got the first one seem to get first invite to the next one.

hitgirl

I think there's various versions. I believe the model with 3GB RAM might be the one with 1080p.

If this is true, I will buy. I'd rather take the battery life than a QHD screen because I can't really tell the difference. On a 40"+ TV I sure as hell can, but not a small screen.

I know the huawei nexus may end up being a near 6 inch monstrosity but it's a shame they didn't just straight up take the Honor 7 specs (save the CPU unless this one is good, not sure):

The Honor 7 sports a 5.2-inch display with 1080 x 1920 pixels, and is powered by a 64-bit octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 935 processor (the same that's found inside the Huawei P8max). The handset also features LTE, a fingerprint sensor, a 20 MP rear camera with Phase Detection auto focus, an 8 MP front-facing camera, 3 GB of RAM, and a 3100 mAh battery.

Throw stock on and we good. Just saw the article that it was pre-ordered 9 million times in its first week.

Top Bottom