• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

One Plus continues building their reputation as a device manufacturer for poors who are willing to sacrifice a lot to save a few bucks.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/10/oneplus-affordable-smartphones-two-carl-pei?

Talk about a misquote. You left off the most important piece of that right before which is talking about in the future if they have a one plus credit system like apple pay where you can use one plus credits to pay for uber and the like. You seem to have an agenda against this company for some reason lol.

EmiPrime

we're reaching too good to be true territory. Now all we need is confirmation that it's going back to low priced and the one we have been waiting for has arrived.

They managed it once before with the old Nexus 5, no reason they can't do it again. Keep the faith!

I have money set aside for an upgrade but I don't know if I should... my Nexus 5 does everything I need it to already and the battery is fine on M. Maybe if one of the new devices has great speakers like the 2014 Nexus 6 and a great camera comparable to S6/G4. Feels a bit indulgent though given the number of iPhone 4(S)s I still see knocking around.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Affordable Nexus 5.2 and OP2 would be outstanding for Android and for this year. Watch them both be under $450 and take a TON of sales away from Samsung, LG, HTC and Sony.

But my Sony from last year was already 5.2" and 1080p, wih great battery and a better camera than is likely on a nexus. So I should be excited for the same specs 18 months later?

(I do think it is good that the nexus is aiming at normal person specs. If they put in a big battery and improve the camera it should be a great option)

y'all celebrating resolution and capacity before seeing actual battery benchmarks?

smh.
well it's hard to deny that a 1080p display with a 2800+mah battery won't be plenty better than 5" 1080p at 2300 which is what the OG nexus 5 was. The .2 shouldn't make a huge deal. If it really is 2800 and not more, it won't mean GREAT battery but it could be means solid battery. Which is forgivable when discussing a nexus 5-2.

jwk94

SO I'm having trouble with the Google Now app. Before I did a factory reset, it would show me where my car was parked, but now that option dosen't exist. I looked in the settings > everything else menu and it's just not there. Can someone help me? Here's what i'm seeing:

Screenshot_2015-07-11-13-04-28.png

3phemeral

SO I'm having trouble with the Google Now app. Before I did a factory reset, it would show me where my car was parked, but now that option dosen't exist. I looked in the settings > everything else menu and it's just not there. Can someone help me? Here's what i'm seeing:
I don't recall their being a setting, it just shows you.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Talk about a misquote. You left off the most important piece of that right before which is talking about in the future if they have a one plus credit system like apple pay where you can use one plus credits to pay for uber and the like. You seem to have an agenda against this company for some reason lol.
???

My beef is that they're storing biometric information. No one else does that. And for good reason.

New Moto X is what everyone needs to be excited for. And Huawei Nexus.
Yeah those are the phones I'm hyped most for. Well...more so LG nexus than huawei but nexus none the less.

I just have a feeling moto is gonna drop the ball, no fingerprint or anything like that. Hopefully they fix their camera too.

Hasney

Ah ok. Maybe that is what he meant in this scenario also, but I guess you never know. Even if they tried something like that custom roms would wipe it out.

The way it was worded, I don't think it can be. Like you fingerprint scan on your PlusThree after the PlusTwo and it sets it up.

The way it was worded, I don't think it can be. Like you fingerprint scan on your PlusThree after the PlusTwo and it sets it up.

I guess something like this would be opt in if you wanted them to do it if it's true. No other company comes close with what they offer for the price in specs or build quality.

kharma45

Their build quality was outstanding on the OPO. They had an issue with some yellowing on early screens, but build quality is fantastic.

Yellowed screens was a lot more than just 'some' phones and OnePlus denied it even was an issue at the start. The phone has also had extremely buggy software with 'fixes' being continually promised, but release after release problems persist. The touchscreen is probably the biggest issue. It's been plagued with issues for months upon months, with the latest 'fix' being to get the phone to ignore certain values sent to it by the sensor. Then there is their frankly appalling customer service which sends users round and round in circles and shifting as much blame away from OnePlus as possible and finding any reason they can to reject RMA requests. Even if you can get a successful RMA you're talking months from start to finish. It's not acceptable at all.

I found when I has the decide too the faux metal plastic trim dinged extremely easy and the sandstone finish rubbed off near the bottom quite quickly. Also created too when you pressed around the USB port. I was also one of the ones with the GPS that was piss poor at locking on.

Yellowed screens was a lot more than just 'some' phones and OnePlus denied it even was an issue at the start. The phone has also had extremely buggy software with 'fixes' being continually promised, but release after release problems persist. The touchscreen is probably the biggest issue. It's been plagued with issues for months upon months, with the latest 'fix' being to get the phone to ignore certain values sent to it by the sensor. Then there is their frankly appalling customer service which sends users round and round in circles and shifting as much blame away from OnePlus as possible and finding any reason they can to reject RMA requests. Even if you can get a successful RMA you're talking months from start to finish. It's not acceptable at all.

I found when I has the decide too the faux metal plastic trim dinged extremely easy and the sandstone finish rubbed off near the bottom quite quickly. Also created too when you pressed around the USB port. I was also one of the ones with the GPS that was piss poor at locking on.

Yeah the yellow screen affected most of the early phones. I went through a couple myself before getting a good one. They fixed that after a few months.

Any phone you use without a case will get dings and scratches and materials will wear off. I have mine in a case and still looks brand new when I take it out.

Customer service is a sore point with them but they started out incredibly small with only a few people and have improved considerably with their customer service since then by most accounts. You won't find a better deal on a smartphone of that quality out.

jwk94

Why do people not like the moto x? The camera is decent and the battery life is ok. Nothing horrible about this phone except for the material the back is made out of.

Furyous

One Plus continues building their reputation as a device manufacturer for poors who are willing to sacrifice a lot to save a few bucks.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/10/oneplus-affordable-smartphones-two-carl-pei?

They clarified this later on in the same post by saying they won't store your fingerprints in the cloud because people were livid in the original reddit post.

---

I'm torn between which phones to buy this year. I need a Nexus phone this year and a backup Android smartphone. This leaves me torn between:

The G3 because it's cheap and performs better than the S810 or the OP2. Moto X 2015 might lack a fingerprint sensor and USB -C so it's out of the running.

With Oneplus and Motorola sticking to the 810 against all odds, it gives me a little hope that Qualcomm was actually able to fix it's problems. Nexus 6-2 might be back up on my list.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OP is a company I'd never rely on for anything. They put out garbage, defective hardware and promise they fixed it via software. Whatever. How they treat the 810 is irrelevant IMO. Scummy company.

Top Bottom