• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Sid

For all the POWAH that Samsung's smartphones have,how come they can't handle scrolling in Twitter?

And Stylus. And Software with stylus. And probably RAM as well
I think both will have 4GB,I mean I don't see Samsung bringing out 2 high end phablets with major spec differences.

Wreav

Banned
Apple with 92% of mobile industry profits in Q1.

BT-AD014_SMARTP_16U_20150712190305-840x1504.jpg

Hasney

Huge. Interesting that Apple was doing poorer and poorer/Samsung stronger and stronger pre Apple going big screen with their phones.

Also, does this include software and hardware profits for Apple? As that's a little misleading considering the Google/hardware split for Android.

Yeah, Apple bring out a bigger phone and Samsung price their new one way too high. They got double bummed.

Bumping this up, can anyone help me with this? The only app that works with a "OK Google" command behind a pin-lock screen is the phone app. So for example, saying "Ok Google, call Joe" actually unlocks the phone and calls Joe. A setting allowed for this.

Is there a setting (I can't see) that allows this feature for other 3rd party apps behind a pin-lock screen? So far, what I have been able to do is actually get third party apps to pop-up but I have to manually touch the blue check mark to start the app - defeats the point.

Anyone know how to achieve the following scenario?

"OK Google, start a run" opens up Google Now and want's a confirmation to start Runkepper. I have to press the blue check-mark to start Runkeeper - what's the point? I don't want to use my phone to achieve this, only Google Now and voice commands.

How can I bypass this and just start Runkeeper?

Thanks!

SimleuqiR

Huge. Interesting that Apple was doing poorer and poorer/Samsung stronger and stronger pre Apple going big screen with their phones.

Also, does this include software and hardware profits for Apple? As that's a little misleading considering the Google/hardware split for Android.

Say what you will, but could you imagine a world where Android didn't exist? It would have been an even bigger monopoly for Apple.

MS was dragging their feet with Windows Mobile and Blackberry (the hardware leader at the time) scoffed at the original iPhone.

It sucks that the Nvidia Shield is discontinued. I really wanted one before my vacation. I still may try for the 4GB RAM Asus Zenpad one. Looks very good for the price. Any indication of when the 4GB RAM version should be out?

Damn, I'm happy I bought an Nvidia Shield just two weeks ago. Sucks to lose such an amazing tablet. The HDMI output and much cheaper price made me choose it over the Nexus 9.

Mindwipe

Bumping this up, can anyone help me with this? The only app that works with a "OK Google" command behind a pin-lock screen is the phone app. So for example, saying "Ok Google, call Joe" actually unlocks the phone and calls Joe. A setting allowed for this.

Is there a setting (I can't see) that allows this feature for other 3rd party apps behind a pin-lock screen? So far, what I have been able to do is actually get third party apps to pop-up but I have to manually touch the blue check mark to start the app - defeats the point.

Given this was announced as part of M and pushed out early as part of Play Services, I'm afraid the answer is probably that Google hasn't finished building it yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi

What phone? When locked different phones allow different apps to fully start and some are limited to just phone (for emergencies)/camera and perhaps respond to a text. If unlocked, then all should run by voice. I would rather keep this limitation for security purposes as voice recognition is not perfect yet. That said one of the options is to allow trusted voice unlock, so maybe that will work for you?

Say what you will, but could you imagine a world where Android didn't exist? It would have been an even bigger monopoly for Apple.

MS was dragging their feet with Windows Mobile and Blackberry (the hardware leader at the time) scoffed at the original iPhone.

Sure enough. Not knocking them at all. I think without Android (or another "Google") we would be far less advanced as Apple seems pretty lackadaisical with experimenting, and MS and Blackberry still don't seem serious about it.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Meh.

I think having it set to auto-update is sort of asking for data usage. If you are on a data budget, turn off auto-update over 3G/4G and leave it for wifi only. Or make it manual entirely.

but if the point is that updates are too big and not incremental as they should be, then I agree more with the point.

Talon

Meh.

I think having it set to auto-update is sort of asking for data usage. If you are on a data budget, turn off auto-update over 3G/4G and leave it for wifi only. Or make it manual entirely.

but if the point is that updates are too big and not incremental as they should be, then I agree more with the point.
The slides and docs are the more telling items. That shouldn't be happening.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The slides and docs are the more telling items. That shouldn't be happening.

Sure that can be an issue. Maybe a bug, or maybe it was set to sync documents that he updated online or on another device? There could be many variables in play.

vwnut13

Sure that can be an issue. Maybe a bug, or maybe it was set to sync documents that he updated online or on another device? There could be many variables in play.

And if you pay per MB, you sure as hell aren't letting apps automatically update/update on cell data.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It should do those updates via WiFi.

When does that $200 tablet come out? The $300 model.

Just curious, but do you know what carriers don't lock the bootloader? Is it just T-Mobile? My contract with at&t ends next month and I'm most likely gonna switch to another carrier.
with Samsung devices? Sprint doesn't. either. in general? IIRC the Xperia phones on T-Mobile are bootloader locked.

Verizon and AT&T get it all locked.

EmiPrime

He gets loads of phones sent to him by manufacturers for review so him getting the OP2 isn't at all unusual.

Him recommending the OP1 as the best budget phone was a bit sus given all the well documented touchscreen issues but I want to believe he's on the up and up.

He gets loads of phones sent to him by manufacturers for review so him getting the OP2 isn't at all unusual.

Him recommending the OP1 as the best budget phone was a bit sus given all the well documented touchscreen issues but I want to believe he's on the up and up.
it's unusual if he has it and other reviewers don't... is that the case here?

the recommendation would be logical if he didn't have touchscreen issues. how widespread are those issues anyway?

kharma45

the recommendation would be logical if he didn't have touchscreen issues. how widespread are those issues anyway?

Very but they've 'fixed' it for now.

It is when it's just him that has it and no one else. He's just becoming a marketing tool. Not just in this case, but also with dbrand. Still, he's not LinusTechTips levels yet. Ugh.

EmiPrime

Ah if he's the only reviewer that got one that is a bit dodgy. :/

Well known enough that he should have at least provided a warning.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
As long as there are no strings, I don't see the problem. He got one. If I were One Plus, I'd give it to him early, too. He's the widest reaching guy.

Top Bottom