• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

NotBacon

Are you another X owner that pretends their phone isn't second tier to prevent buyer's remorse? The 2014 X is kind of a joke.

Because if you're not first you're last, right? Oh give me a break.

Still a solid-ass device. My dad literally picked one up yesterday and he loves it so far.

reKon

Banned
Even though no one here cares about Android tablets, I don't care and I'm still going to talk about this:

Zen Pad 8 ($200): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ze...lack/7650139.p?id=1219681450081&skuId=7650139

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9304/asus-announces-two-new-zenpad-tablets

So I'd imagine that this is really the Nexus 7 killer. My Nexus 7 screen is dead, so I'm definitely looking for a replacement with a slightly bigger screen and great performance for the price. Don't think I will buy that version, but I'd rather wait for the other version which looks BEAST and hopefully they will have on Amazon soon. Hopefully it's just $100 more:

https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenpad_s_8_0_z580c-7366.php

I would expect performance to be similar to the Dell Venue 8, except with the bonus of 4 GB of RAM: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/23/dell-venue-8-7000-review/

I may have to wait to see what Exynos processor they throw in the Galaxy Tab S, but I know that the Galaxy S Tab is probably going to launch at $400, so likely more expensive.

There's also the possibility of Nvidia launching a SHIELD Tablet successor, which is pretty much the best bang for buck Android tablet. The thought of a tablet with a modified X1 chip inside is crazy because of how it's performance would easily annihilate everything including the iPad Air 2 and maybe the Air 3.

The only questionable thing on these Asus devices will be battery life. The Dell Venue above did really well clocking in at 12 hours, so I be happy if these achieved at least 80% of that.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh shit, we made it brehs. $300 launch price for the better version - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1168906-REG/asus_z580ca_c1_bk_64gb_z580ca_c1_zenpad_s.html

kharma45

Yeah the yellow screen affected most of the early phones. I went through a couple myself before getting a good one. They fixed that after a few months.

And that's a sign of abysmal QA. It shouldn't have been there it in the first place, they shouldn't have denied it nor should it have taken months to correct that defect.

Any phone you use without a case will get dings and scratches and materials will wear off. I have mine in a case and still looks brand new when I take it out.

That is true but theirs just seemed extremely susceptible to it, the plastic was extremely soft.

Customer service is a sore point with them but they started out incredibly small with only a few people and have improved considerably with their customer service since then by most accounts. You won't find a better deal on a smartphone of that quality out.

Everything I've read about their CS is still the same now as it was at launch. It's a total disgrace. The numerous issues with the touchscreen was the epitome of this.

I know you think OnePlus can do no wrong but they're a shit company putting out substandard hardware, with fans thinking that because they're new and the phones are cheap they should be given a pass. They should be held to the same standard we'd hold any other company.

OP is a company I'd never rely on for anything. They put out garbage, defective hardware and promise they fixed it via software. Whatever. How they treat the 810 is irrelevant IMO. Scummy company.

And each 'fix' just brings more problems. They're cunts.

Meh. I think OP bit off more than they can chew their first time around. I wouldn't write them off yet. This time will show if they execute on lessons learned at all or not. That's what counts.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even though no one here cares about Android tablets, I don't care and I'm still going to talk about this:

Zen Pad 8 ($200): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-ze...lack/7650139.p?id=1219681450081&skuId=7650139

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9304/asus-announces-two-new-zenpad-tablets

So I'd imagine that this is really the Nexus 7 killer. My Nexus 7 screen is dead, so I'm definitely looking for a replacement with a slightly bigger screen and great performance for the price. Don't think I will buy that version, but I'd rather wait for the other version which looks BEAST and hopefully they will have on Amazon soon. Hopefully it's just $100 more:

https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580CA/

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenpad_s_8_0_z580c-7366.php

I would expect performance to be similar to the Dell Venue 8, except with the bonus of 4 GB of RAM: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/23/dell-venue-8-7000-review/

I may have to wait to see what Exynos processor they throw in the Galaxy Tab S, but I know that the Galaxy S Tab is probably going to launch at $400, so likely more expensive.

There's also the possibility of Nvidia launching a SHIELD Tablet successor, which is pretty much the best bang for buck Android tablet. The thought of a tablet with a modified X1 chip inside is crazy because of how it's performance would easily annihilate everything including the iPad Air 2 and maybe the Air 3.

The only questionable thing on these Asus devices will be battery life. The Dell Venue above did really well clocking in at 12 hours, so I be happy if these achieved at least 80% of that.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Oh shit, we made it brehs. $300 launch price for the better version - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1168906-REG/asus_z580ca_c1_bk_64gb_z580ca_c1_zenpad_s.html
Thanks for this post. My N10, a real trooper, is just way too slow for me these days. I need to replace it but N9 was a major bust. I hate Asus but there are no better Android tablet options.

Meh. I think OP bit off more than they can chew their first time around. I wouldn't write them off yet. This time will show if they execute on lessons learned at all or not. That's what counts.

Yeah, they definitely weren't expecting the success they received with the first phone. They released a damn good phone for their first try in my opinion and there are a lot more that are happy with theirs too judging by the thread on the phone here.

I think the big question about 2 will be the software. I think it will be better moving away from Cyanogen. MKBHD seems stoked about the OnePlus 2 also and he has seen it. I will support them again, because they are shaking up the industry with what they offer for the price and anything that removes ridiculous margins from phones is good in my eyes.

Gota LG G4 yesterday. For the most part I like it but battery seems middling. It's good and bad depending. Wondering if a lot of it's Facebook. Don't use it a lot but I've heard it wreaka havok in the background although I always closeout. So far seems a bit better than my garbage S5 battery wise but we shall see. What's some good ways to improve battery life beyond screen and closing apps out?

Thanks for this post. My N10, a real trooper, is just way too slow for me these days. I need to replace it but N9 was a major bust. I hate Asus but there are no better Android tablet options.

It also lacks Wi-fi ac which is a huge deal for me. 200 bucks or not, that's a deal breaker.

reKon

Banned
It also lacks Wi-fi ac which is a huge deal for me. 200 bucks or not, that's a deal breaker.

I really only care about the better version for $300 which has that, but the lack of that probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I wanted the $200 version. One thing I'm beginning to realize is that these tablets are likely going to have really shitty battery life based on Nokia N1s (uses the same chip set) and based on the Zenphones average performance by today's standards. This really sucks.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if Nvidia is going to end up even launching a new Nvidia Tablet this year. The discussion here summarizes why:

https://www.reddit.com/r/theNvidiaShield/comments/30aem5/should_i_wait_for_the_shield_tablet_2/

But then again all Shield tablets are out of stock at all stores and its been discontinued..

The Galaxy Tab S 2 better launch with the exynos 7240 so that there is at least a higher end option for those who desire it.

RuGalz

K2 makes way more sense. They already had to thermal throttle the tablet compared to the handheld. I still want to see a new handheld, maybe it will come with the new tablet. But internally they had done so many variations who knows what will the final product be.

thenexus6

Sent my sisters one plus one in for repair, they received it on 26th June and still nothing. Had a few email back, but nothing in terms of getting the phone sorted..

It sucks that the Nvidia Shield is discontinued. I really wanted one before my vacation. I still may try for the 4GB RAM Asus Zenpad one. Looks very good for the price. Any indication of when the 4GB RAM version should be out?

EmiPrime

Gota LG G4 yesterday. For the most part I like it but battery seems middling. It's good and bad depending. Wondering if a lot of it's Facebook. Don't use it a lot but I've heard it wreaka havok in the background although I always closeout. So far seems a bit better than my garbage S5 battery wise but we shall see. What's some good ways to improve battery life beyond screen and closing apps out?

Have you gone into the Facebook app and turned off all push notifications? Facebook Lite is another option.

Unfortunately PayPal is the only option. There's no point even trying to RMA with them. They'll probably try to shift the blame onto you for breaking it too.

Depends on the country and what kind of damage it is though. Inside the EU the company has to prove that it was the user whose at fault (and not the other way around), which can be very difficult for the company.

Have you gone into the Facebook app and turned off all push notifications? Facebook Lite is another option.

I did do that before but just deleted it altogether. For the amount I use it I'll just view it on the browser. Messenger is staying though as that's the only way I can communicate with my one friend. I've used 25% of battery since 7:15 this morning with decent use such as texting, one quick game of puzzle quest, and some browsing.

Unfortunately PayPal is the only option. There's no point even trying to RMA with them. They'll probably try to shift the blame onto you for breaking it too.

I actually prefer the PayPal method. You can get full refund and just send the phone back and then buy another.

You guys may have discussed this already but I was just going over the Android M Preview 2 update and I'm glad they backtracked on that app drawer ASAP. That design wasn't really symmetrical and it made no sense. Now it looks normal. Don't really care that it's vertical.

hitgirl

What good earbuds microphone is of a high quality and work well with android? I like the bose earbuds, butt I think the controls only really work for Apple.

kharma45

I actually prefer the PayPal method. You can get full refund and just send the phone back and then buy another.

And pay for the postage to return the phone, and postage when you buy a new one.

PayPal shouldn't be your customer service channel.

They are apparently waiting for more 16GB stock so they can send out a new one to use. They setup a paypal of £100 for us to pay.

To pay for what?

thenexus6

And pay for the postage to return the phone, and postage when you buy a new one.

PayPal shouldn't be your customer service channel.

To pay for what?

My sister dropped it and smashed the screen. Accidental damage isn't covered, so they said it was £100 to get it sorted.

Jigolo

You guys may have discussed this already but I was just going over the Android M Preview 2 update and I'm glad they backtracked on that app drawer ASAP. That design wasn't really symmetrical and it made no sense. Now it looks normal. Don't really care that it's vertical.
Backtracked? Nothing is/was final. I'm glad they modified it again but that doesn't mean it won't be changed again before the actual release.

Backtracked? Nothing is/was final. I'm glad they modified it again but that doesn't mean it won't be changed again before the actual release.
well of course nothing was final but they put it in there, they tested it internally and obviously thought it was good enough to put out there to the public.....who obviously clearly rejected it because it was goddamn horrible. I can't believe it even got buy internal taste testing.

Groof

The M DP2 is a big improvement overall over the first one. But Kakao and LINE are still broken. It's a real PITA.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Did you get your second battery with charger? That will at least alleviate any battery issues. I would go into google account settings and deactivate sync for anything you dont use. I was experiencing major drain due to 23 snaps, which is a Facebook like app, that was needlessly checking location regularly. I would also disable as much of your carrier bloat as possible through the application manager, or if you are feeling brave the debloater program on xda.
Use the auto brightness set at a lower level if you aren't already.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Turing Phone first look: a focus on security, inside and out

turing-phone-first-look-aa-7-of-23-840x473.jpg

kinda split on this, tbh

No headphone jack and no USB data transfer on that Turing phone would make it a non starter for me if I were actually interested.

The fingerprint reader on the side makes sense though. In fact, I think the side or back of the phone are far better places to put it compared to the bottom bezel like on the iPhones and Galaxies, especially since most phones are quite large these days.

Top Bottom