• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I called T-Mobile yesterday and requested that they unlock my Note 4. What happens now as far as updates go? Is Samsung the only barrier?

It's nice to want things.

Well they've spoken on it many times and it has been their number one complaint. It also made semi-sense for a startup but they're out of that phase and say they have heard the feedback.

I personally don't care either way but I don't think they'll do the exact same format.

Avixph

Well they've spoken on it many times and it has been their number one complaint. It also made semi-sense for a startup but they're out of that phase and say they have heard the feedback.

I personally don't care either way but I don't think they'll do the exact same format.
We just have to wait and see.

Why would it stop, it's an advancement in technology. What's next, who know?

Stretchable screens to whatever size you want.
Hologram 8k screens
That's exactly what I've been saying. But apparently, some people think 1080p displays are enough for us and there's no reason for higher screen displays.

kIdMuScLe

I called T-Mobile yesterday and requested that they unlock my Note 4. What happens now as far as updates go? Is Samsung the only barrier?

What do you mean? You would still have to wait for t-mobile to release lollipop Unless you root and flash a custom rom.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What do you mean? You would still have to wait for t-mobile to release lollipop Unless you root and flash a custom rom.
Figured Kies might circumvent that hurdle if the phone is unlocked. Doesn't matter anyways cause my request got rejected. They told me to try again after using the device for two months. Lulz.

I'd say a 6-inch flagship is pretty interesting :p

And if the Nexus 6 is an anomaly, shit they should pull an anomaly every year with how well it turned out (the phone itself, not the sales or marketing campaign :/).

In any case, skip year, I'm waiting for the Nexus 2016 with Snapdragon 900 and pure Android Nougat.

indeed. they were making a real phone and quickly converted it to a Nexus so Google didn't have enough time to fuck shit up.

Wreav

Banned
Figured Kies might circumvent that hurdle if the phone is unlocked. Doesn't matter anyways cause my request got rejected. They told me to try again after using the device for two months. Lulz.

You don't seem to understand what carrier unlocking means.

gcubed

That's exactly what I've been saying. But apparently, some people think 1080p displays are enough for us and there's no reason for higher screen displays.

i dont think there is no reason, just very little.

when the dpi jump happens, people move to it too fast, which leads to shitty screens in its first iteration, then decent screens in its 2nd, fantastic in its third, then the next dpi jump comes. Pushing dpi for the sake of dpi is dumb.

Toki767

The G3 I dropped on the 19th floor of the elevator last week? They found it. The screen is uncracked, but the display is pretty much broken/wonky. I'm impressed by LG's build quality now lol.

B-FQm66CAAAELI9.jpg

Mindwipe

I hate how bad the backup situation is on Android. I need to factory reset my phone, and trying to reliably backup saved games is the most massive pain.

MattDoza

Let them stare. Must be in reference to that centered front facing camera. Or maybe just how damn sexy that thing is supposed to be.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You don't seem to understand what carrier unlocking means.
Unless I'm mistaken, it refers to being able to use the phone with other sim cards/networks. Now if you said "you don't seem to understand how carriers push OTA updates to Android phones" then you'd be correct, since I've only used Nexus phones before this.

What do you guys think of the Asus ZenFone 2?

Looks like quite a phone on paper, and should nerve a great price to boot.

I like my Nexus 7 quite a bit, so I'm open to seeing what these guys can deliver phone wise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I like my Nexus 7 quite a bit, so I'm open to seeing what these guys can deliver phone wise.

The problem with a lot of these phones is they aren't perfectly suited for the NA or even EU market.

Even the One Plus doesn't have all the exact bands to fit AT&T. So if it isn't a phone already being sold here most of the unique stuff from Asia just gets a shrug.

ZenUI fucking sucks, but specs wise it could be great.

Motherfuckers just need to embrace pure android and make tweaks based off camera, messaging, gallery, etc and leave the god damn skin alone

Guys, I need some help. I very badly wanna install lollipop on my Nexus 7. Problem is, the USB port doesn't work beyond charging. Won't hook up to a computer.

I have twrp installed, and am willing to wipe out all my data to install lollipop.

I got one of the ota roms online for a manual install.

Every time I try I keep getting this error. Any suggestions?

kIdMuScLe

Guys, I need some help. I very badly wanna install lollipop on my Nexus 7. Problem is, the USB port doesn't work beyond charging. Won't hook up to a computer.

I have twrp installed, and am willing to wipe out all my data to install lollipop.

I got one of the ota roms online for a manual install.

Every time I try I keep getting this error. Any suggestions?

Oh wait nevermind... You need stock recovery to install a OTA rom.

Why can't you just download the OTA direct to the N7, rename to Update.zip, and boot into recovery?
I just used AirDroid to put the OTA rom onto the Nexus 7, renamed it to update.zip, booted into TWRP, tried to install the zip file, and I got the same error. .

I'm currently on 4.4.2

I tried to get into stock recovery, but it just launched TWRP.

Tried downloading the rom from a couple places, same error.

This fuckin blows. I don't understand why this is so difficult, especially when I'm willing to wipe everything out and return to completely stock android (which i'm already running).

If I just go with Cyanogenmod 12 will I not have this problem?

Esqueleto

Banned
I tried to get into stock recovery, but it just launched TWRP.

Tried downloading the rom from a couple places, same error.

This fuckin blows. I don't understand why this is so difficult, especially when I'm willing to wipe everything out and return to completely stock android (which i'm already running).

If I just go with Cyanogenmod 12 will I not have this problem?
That's cus twrp is your recovery now. That's why you can't flash the update. You can flash google's image through adb if your PC can see it.

Top Bottom