• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Early this morning I got a system update notification for my 2013 Moto X on Cricket. I was like, Fuck yeah, Lollipop, finally! I didn't have time to install it before work (which is outside in a forest) so I turned off wifi and data (I'm serious about conserving juice and all my entertainment needs are on the device). I get back home at 4 PM and turn on wifi and plug my phone in and tap the notification - but nothing happens! I try the System Updates thing in About Phone settings - of course, that never works. Desperate to make the notification show up again I reboot the phone, but it STILL won't show up again! Still can't get system settings to show anything new.

So was there really a system update and Cricket won't allow it or am I being trolled? I don't know if you can get system updates on Cricket if you bring your own phone - I was pretty pessimistic until today. My model was bought on eBay as an unlocked AT&T model. I have read that that model cannot be rooted which is why I haven't tried that method of updating. Should I just get a new phone? Summer's the suckiest time to buy a new phone since the newest models always release only in either spring or fall. I've even considered buying an iPhone since my parents and friends all have ones. Tell me why I got an update notification but it doesn't work.
I'm buying an iPhone if I don't get a reply in 24 hours

I'm buying an iPhone if I don't get a reply in 24 hours
Back in the day when I worked tech support I got a bunch of calls that were similar where they saw an android update available but passed on it or whatever and then when they wanted to do it it wouldn't come back. You're basically screwed until it comes back I think.

Maybe try disconnecting from your carrier in the settings and reconnecting

it's = a contraction of "it is"
its = a possessive form of "it"
Surface Pro 3 = a solution in search of a problem
I'm well aware of the proper usage. That was a typo. Gesture/swyping to be exact, so it defaulted to "it's". I didn't notice it, but I appreciate you pointing it out for me so that I can now correct it.

Nah. It's not at all a solution in search of a problem. It's just another option; a superior one to be exact. The first popular tablet, the iPad, came with a 4:3 ratio. Had it released with a different aspect ratio, people would be proclaiming it as the best one.

Wreav

Banned
cause they wish they could be cool like the rest of us, but they stuck slinging burgers at McD's all day, dreaming bout that Moto E refresh

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it's = a contraction of "it is"
its = a possessive form of "it"
Surface Pro 3 = a solution in search of a problem

If the entry i3 surface pro had more than 64GB storage it could be a good option for my wife. Spends all her time with her laptop which is usually connected to external monitor/keyboard/mouse, and then brings it down to the living room in the evening. Surface pro would do both nicely, and be way more convenient for browsing the web in the evening.

Saiyan-Rox

I vote nexus 9, I like mine now more than I did when I got it. Also 4:3 is the only way to go for a tablet.

it's still a slow tablet. if you plan on listening to music while browsing on the tablet or listening to something on youtube then you're gonna be disappointed cause it closes the background stuff after pausing/stuttering. it's a shame because the tablet should be able to cope with doing it but it just can't.

it's still a slow tablet. if you plan on listening to music while browsing on the tablet or listening to something on youtube then you're gonna be disappointed cause it closes the background stuff after pausing/stuttering. it's a shame because the tablet should be able to cope with doing it but it just can't.
yeah I def hate that aspect.

Well guys, you finally did it. You killed Qualcomm.

WSJ is reporting that they may lay off 4000 employees and spin off their mobile chip making business. Which is the least successful part of their business anyway so it's not a huge deal I guess. Or maybe they're trying to save money.

Saiyan-Rox

WSJ is reporting that they may lay off 4000 employees and spin off their mobile chip making business. Which is the least successful part of their business anyway so it's not a huge deal I guess. Or maybe they're trying to save money.

I didn't do it

i swear Samsung keeps catching breaks.

they can't keep getting away with it!

Ha, says the guy with the iPhone!

Qualcomm screwed its mobile chip business itself. They put out some crappy products this go 'round and this is the kind of thing that could happen.

Damn, that's a lot of people that may end up losing their jobs.

Edit: Groof bringing the classics.
Just like in that video, things got a little too hot (and steamy) for them to handle.

Kraftwerk

So my nexus 5 broke.

I decided to go to my carrier and see what I can get for free with the credit I have. My options were the Sony xperia M4 aqua or the lg g stylo. I picked the lg because of the bigger screen.

I like the phone.... Except it's leggy.

I have 30 days to go back and switch it for the Sony. Is the m4 aqua any faster?

If not I'm just going to put a little cash on top of my credit and get the LG G4 since I know that's a fast snappy phone.

I normally don't care about phone specs, but after having used the nexus 5 this stylo felt really hogged up.

i swear Samsung keeps catching breaks.

they can't keep getting away with it!

If samsung is willing to give out their good exynos processors they can make some serious bank and takeover that market. I don't think they're able to manufacture them at a good enough price to offer others though, which is probably why they haven't done it much.

Ha, says the guy with the iPhone!.

out of 50 android OEMs it seems none of them want my money!

Wreav

Banned
We just have to see how well it performs in this phone. Maybe the OnePlus solution is better than the others with it. Other phones with it before scored lower due to thermal throttling already, so it has already shown to be better than the others atleast.

Battered Android Syndrome at its finest, gentlemen.

Nilay Patel wrote a piece where he explains how much the mobile web sucks.

"But man, the web browsers on phones are terrible. They are an abomination of bad user experience, poor performance, and overall disdain for the open web that kicked off the modern tech revolution. Mobile Safari on my iPhone 6 Plus is a slow, buggy, crashy affair, starved for the phone's paltry 1GB of memory and unable to rotate from portrait to landscape without suffering an emotional crisis. Chrome on my various Android devices feels entirely outclassed at times, a country mouse lost in the big city, waiting to be mugged by the first remnant ad with a redirect loop and something to prove."

Maybe, instead of complaining about browsers and phones that should handle the mobile web just fine (at least with 2 GB RAM!), don't create a bloated piece of shit site that requires 4 GB RAM to load and browse properly. Just maybe.

No wonder people want more RAM on their phone or get hesitant to get a PC with "only" 4GB, because it couldn't be enough to browse the web.

Or maybe I don't browse enough on my phone to run into issues with 2 GB RAM on my phone, except when I land on TheVerge.com.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Other than a random bug issue that crops up in chrome like once a year that then gets fixed in the next update I really haven't had any problems with Chrome once I got a device with 2 gigs of RAM.

Maybe it's because I'm not trying to open 100 tabs on my phone or something IDK.

It works perfectly fine for me though.

The bigger issue I have is when you go to a site that either hasn't made the switch to mobile (smh) or has a mobile site, but you can only do like 25% of the shit you want on the mobile version. The rest of the shit you'd want/need to do requires you to go to the desktop version.

I have way more problems with that than I do with Chrome on Android.

Safari on iOS purely comes down to 1 gig of RAM in the phones.

Top Bottom