• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Nilay Patel wrote a piece where he explains how much the mobile web sucks.

"But man, the web browsers on phones are terrible. They are an abomination of bad user experience, poor performance, and overall disdain for the open web that kicked off the modern tech revolution. Mobile Safari on my iPhone 6 Plus is a slow, buggy, crashy affair, starved for the phone's paltry 1GB of memory and unable to rotate from portrait to landscape without suffering an emotional crisis. Chrome on my various Android devices feels entirely outclassed at times, a country mouse lost in the big city, waiting to be mugged by the first remnant ad with a redirect loop and something to prove."

Maybe, instead of complaining about browsers and phones that should handle the mobile web just fine (at least with 2 GB RAM!), don't create a bloated piece of shit site that requires 4 GB RAM to load and browse properly. Just maybe.

No wonder people want more RAM on their phone or get hesitant to get a PC with "only" 4GB, because it couldn't be enough to browse the web.

Or maybe I don't browse enough on my phone to run into issues with 2 GB RAM on my phone, except when I land on TheVerge.com.

I don't usually care enough to comment but Nilay has been nothing but garbage lately.

Wreav

Banned
I don't usually care enough to comment but Nilay has been nothing but garbage lately.

CDZadigWIAAMOFe.jpg

Schlep

Maybe, instead of complaining about browsers and phones that should handle the mobile web just fine (at least with 2 GB RAM!), don't create a bloated piece of shit site that requires 4 GB RAM to load and browse properly. Just maybe.
I have zero problems with mobile websites that don't try and pop-over the whole damn screen or scroll an ad as I scroll. Then my normally fast browser turns into a 1997 relic.

Droid Life finally decided to post about the Moto G IP7 rating. Are they even trying?

Droid-life lost their relevancy once Verizon lost the Android flagship crown. They made their bread-and-butter posting Verizon handset leaks/news. Verizon now no longer gets the best stuff, and more often than not, launches watered down versions of existing sets. Kellex is probably happy to coast at this point.

Furyous

motorola-moto-g-2015-3rd-gen-all-sides-rcm992x0.jpg

moto-g-2015-mobilesyrup.png

Dem 'specs:

1080p
441 ppi
S610
2 GB of ram
8 GB internal storage
Microsd card slot (512 GB microsd card coming later this year from a vendor)
2470 Mah battery

---

This is a solid device for anyone looking for a basic android device. If it comes with an IR blaster then I'll buy it after browsing reviews.

Basically this is

If all the rumoured specs on the Moto G are true and it comes in a $200 or less of contract, really it becomes the phone to beat in that segment.

I reckon the one with 2GB will be more expensive though, but I thought last years version was amazing for the price this years is just ridiculous.

Dem 'specs:

1080p
441 ppi
S610
2 GB of ram
8 GB internal storage
2470 Mah battery

---

This is a solid device for anyone looking for a basic android device. If it comes with an IR blaster then I'll buy it after browsing reviews.

Basically this is

Lord beer me strength if the Moto G has a comparable battery size to and possibly longer battery life than the LG Nexus 5 2015.

reKon

Banned

Dem 'specs:

1080p
441 ppi
S610
2 GB of ram
8 GB internal storage
2470 Mah battery

---

Basically this is

Perfect budget device. Depending on the price, this is the go to budget phone

Ty4on

Maybe it's because I'm not trying to open 100 tabs on my phone or something IDK.
I've had 500 something open on my Nexus 4 without any issues. The vast majority of pages are cached in storage so it ate a lot of storage space, but it had no effect on smoothness with whatever pages I were reading being stored in RAM.

reKon

Banned
Why? What makes this better than the offerings already out an available?

The bang for buck will make it better than other offerings if the price is right.

That combination of resolution, screen size, and battery size will be a recipe for good battery life, especially with Android M (yes, we will see better results than with Project Volta).

Performance should be very nice and smooth as well on Moto's skin. I know there's obviously phones like the $199 Zenphone 2, which is an excellent bang for buck, but that size isn't for everyone which the Moto G size will fit most people generally.

If the Moto G launches at $199, then the the Zenphone 2 is probably the slightly better buy, but it's going to be very annoying to deal with all that bloatware and such that you get on Zen phone's. Also, I'm not sure if the Zen phone would have the better build quality.

Dem 'specs:

1080p
441 ppi
S610
2 GB of ram
8 GB internal storage
2470 Mah battery

---

Basically this is

Eh? You can get a one plus one that is superior to this for most likely $30 more. 8gb of storage is really ridiculous at this point in a phone running lollipop.

reKon

Banned
Eh? You can get a one plus one that is superior to this for most likely $30 more. 8gb of storage is really ridiculous at this point in a phone running lollipop.

The pricing has been finalized on this phone?

Also, doesn't the One Plus One have a ton of build quality issues?

Those are some really good specs on the Moto G. Given how different the earlier rumors were I can't help but wonder if Motorola took a look at phones in the Moto G's range like the Zenfone 2 and decided to up the ante.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Rumor: Sony to introduce two new high-end Android phones, Xperia S60 and Xperia S70

Here's an interesting rumor involving Sony. According to a report published in Germany today, Sony is going to announce two high-end Android flavored smartphones before September's IFA conference. The Sony Xperia S60 and Sony Xperia S70 will be the vanguard of a whole new series of Sony smartphones. The only specs that we can pass along at this time, is that the two new models will be equipped with 32GB of native storage.

Dealers in Europe who are familiar with Sony's plans say that the phones will be available in mid August with August 18th mentioned as a possible launch date. With the Sony Xperia S70 said to be priced at the equivalent of $853 USD to $919 USD, these are obviously going to be high-end models.

The Xperia S60 is expected to be available in white, black, yellow and Coralie. The Xperia S70 color options include white, black, gold and green. While it is okay to get excited about the possibility of a new high-end smartphone series from Sony, we would suggest taking this with the proverbial grain of salt.

If these new handsets are indeed on their way to an August release, we should be hearing much more about them soon. Feel free to check in often!

name your smartphones after Volvo models brehs

Judging by previous versions it will go for $220-$230. You can get a OPO for $250. The issues with earlier OPO units have all been fixed at this point. You can read several happy with theirs in the One Plus thread.

John Blade

Dem 'specs:

1080p
441 ppi
S610
2 GB of ram
8 GB internal storage
2470 Mah battery

---

Basically this is

Hmm...own Moto G 1st gen but won't upgrade till next year in June. When is this one come out? I guess, I will wait till next year to see what better phone in the market when I do upgrade but my Moto G is still working okay. The 1 gb ram is slowly become an issue for what I am using it now.

v1lla21

Hey guys im in the market for a new phone on Verizon. My 1st gen MotoX died last week and ill be buying a new phone. Whats one that yall recommend? Sadly i cant wait until the new ones come out. Is the nexus 6 still a good buy? I was thinking either that or a z3v but verizon doesnt have that on their website anymore and im not sure about in-store.

Jacir

Hmm...own Moto G 1st gen but won't upgrade till next year in June. When is this one come out? I guess, I will wait till next year to see what better phone in the market when I do upgrade but my Moto G is still working okay. The 1 gb ram is slowly become an issue for what I am using it now.

Yea, I'm in this same situation. Lets see how it goes this fall.

terrier

Good luck dealing with a 1080p display with an SD610. Shoul'dve stayed a 720p, since it is like a 615 without the lower power cores. And most 615 devices use 720p screens (end still have heating issues)

Everything will be tied to price, if they stay sub 200 it is an interesting device. We will see.

kharma45

Reminds me of a Lumia at the rear

How did I know before I even scrolled down to read the text of your post it'd be endorsing the OnePlus One :lol

Touch screen would still worry me but most have been fixed. Don't expect any after sales support from them.

Mindwipe

Nilay Patel wrote a piece where he explains how much the mobile web sucks.

"But man, the web browsers on phones are terrible. They are an abomination of bad user experience, poor performance, and overall disdain for the open web that kicked off the modern tech revolution. Mobile Safari on my iPhone 6 Plus is a slow, buggy, crashy affair, starved for the phone's paltry 1GB of memory and unable to rotate from portrait to landscape without suffering an emotional crisis. Chrome on my various Android devices feels entirely outclassed at times, a country mouse lost in the big city, waiting to be mugged by the first remnant ad with a redirect loop and something to prove."

No wonder people want more RAM on their phone or get hesitant to get a PC with "only" 4GB, because it couldn't be enough to browse the web.

Or maybe I don't browse enough on my phone to run into issues with 2 GB RAM on my phone, except when I land on TheVerge.com.

C'mon guys. I think The Verge has gone to shit as much as anyone, and the site is bloated as hell (and cross domain DOM advertising issues are a major problem on sites), but we moan about Chrome all the time, so he is right. Safari on iOS has gone to shit too.

Interesting that he didn't mention anything about animated GIFs. The lack of Web-M support in Safari and Web-P support anywhere are big issues for mobile browsing and Apple and Google's pissing war has really not done anyone any favours.

I don't notice any safari or chrome issues on my iphone. Safari will get better with ad blocking.

I just moan about chrome destroying battery life on android.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I HATE using my Nexus 10. It is in the worst shape it has ever been in. Please someone make a good, vanilla tablet. No, a Nexus 9 is not an upgrade. It also runs like shit.

Top Bottom