• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

RuGalz

Nexus 5-2

This thread lives in a fantasy world where the Nexus 5 didn't have a crappy, washed out screen, horrible camera and terrible battery life.

I did like the aesthetics and soft touch back though. A bit small for my tastes.

Screw this none sense. N5's screen produces accurate colors and displays proper saturation. It's the other turds that skewed the perception.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/5

The new Nexus 7 impressed me with how accurate its display was in terms of color reproduction, beginning with Google stating it targeted sRGB (the color space for both the web and Android) calibration for it. The Nexus 5 seems to have done the same, and wowed me with the best GMB color checker Delta-Es we’ve seen from any Android handset. In addition, the Nexus 5 has none of the saturation boost that’s sadly quite pervasive right now, instead giving the right evenly spaced saturation stepping on its color channels. The Nexus 7 has slightly lower Delta-E, but it’s clear to me that Google has made color calibration an emphasis on the Nexus line.

It’s interesting to hear some Nexus 5 users complain that the display seems undersaturated, since that kind of end user feedback reflects subjective comparison. It also suggests to me that a large percentage of the population doesn’t know what some colors or system elements actually should be. Even for me, looking at the green elements inside the Google Play store on the Note 3 in movie mode or Nexus 5 initially seemed slightly more muted than normal. The reality is that this is what they actually should look like. We’ve just become accustomed to their oversaturated appearance on virtually every other device.

I had a Note 3 and a Nexus 5 at the same time. The screen on the N5 couldn't compete. AMOLED will always be my personal favorite.

that doesn't mean the nexus 5 was a bad screen though, it was great. You just prefer the saturation that AMOLED offers. I sort of do as well sometimes. But I still thought my N5 had a great display.

diaspora

Just picked up an M8 and a Moto X (2nd gen) for $25 apiece. I'll stick to using my S6, but does anyone know if these are upgradable to 5.1? I can see that they can get 5.0 but I haven't seen any 5.1 announcements unless I've missed something.

RuGalz

I had a Note 3 and a Nexus 5 at the same time. The screen on the N5 couldn't compete. AMOLED will always be my personal favorite.

Preference for saturated AMOLED really doesn't change the fact that N5 screen produced accurate colors. You think the movies look "accurate" but measurements says otherwise. If you ever calibrate your TV/monitor to the proper color/contrast you will probably think it look like shit as well.

zewone

Preference for saturated AMOLED really doesn't change the fact that N5 screen produced accurate colors. You think the movies look "accurate" but measurements says otherwise. If you ever calibrate your TV/monitor to the proper color/contrast you will probably think it look like shit as well.

My TV is professionally calibrated and guess what, it's an LED.

I like deep blacks, I'm not apologizing for that opinion.

diaspora

How did you get a 2014 Moto X for $25?? I have the same phone and it's running 5.1

Because of reasons. Got a second iPhone 5S for the same price. I would have picked up a bunch of 5Cs but honestly meh.

edit, Good to see the Moto X 2nd Gen is good for 5.1 though. Wasn't in the mood to flash these things.

Noema

The new Moto G looks great. With 2GB of RAM it'll perform so much better than the current Gs; on my XT1032 I can't even browse the Web without Spotify crashing since it runs out of memory.

RuGalz

Oh wow. I thought Sony's new Android experience was gonna be some crazy looking UI, but they actually seem to just be taking a Motorola-like approach. Cool.

It's nice they are taking this approach. Now you can have near stock experience without having to ditch their camera imaging pipeline.

Husker86

Nexus 5-2

This thread lives in a fantasy world where the Nexus 5 didn't have a crappy, washed out screen, horrible camera and terrible battery life.

I did like the aesthetics and soft touch back though. A bit small for my tastes.

Nexus 5 screen was pretty good; not top tier, but I wouldn't call it crappy. The Nexus 4 had a very washed out look to it, though.

Jigolo

Oh wow. I thought Sony's new Android experience was gonna be some crazy looking UI, but they actually seem to just be taking a Motorola-like approach. Cool.

I really like it and it's probably the closet thing we'll ever get to a Xperia Nexus. Hopefully it means faster updates as well but just keeping it close to bone stock with some Sony sprinkles on top makes it good enough already. We'll see where this goes. Will the Z5 have it at CES (or MWC)? We shall see

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's nice they are taking this approach. Now you can have near stock experience without having to ditch their camera imaging pipeline.

A lot of OEMs not named Samsung seem to be going this way. LG dropped a lot of their own shit on the G4, and they just went with the Google version such as the Google keyboard vs an LG specific one.

If only more companies would take this approach.

The One Plus 2 having laser focus on the camera should be interesting. Design doesn't look bad to me. It's smaller with the same size screen and has finger print sensor on the front(maybe also doubles as a home button if pressable?)

zewone

The One Plus 2 having laser focus on the camera should be interesting. Design doesn't look bad to me. It's smaller with the same size screen and has finger print sensor on the front(maybe also doubles as a home button if pressable?)

Yes, the camera looks really impressive and it looks like Sandstone cover is back.

I plan on picking one up as soon as I can get an invite.

Yes, the camera looks really impressive and it looks like Sandstone cover is back.

I plan on picking one up as soon as I can get an invite.

I keep mine in a case so back doesn't really matter, but some of those swappable cover options look pretty cool if they come out like rose wood or ceramic. I'll help out with some invites when I get some like last time. I gave out like 20 last time. Anyone going to make an invite thread?

Mindwipe

not if you have z3 or z3c

But please please please please rewrite the camera software.

White balance, post processing noise, brightness fringing, slow autofocus, burning out detail, bad colour reproduction etc. A lot of these could be made better in software.

And the UI too! Manual mode should be accessible without unlocking the device. It's crazy that I have that quick mode that*can't use HDR*. So I have to unlock the device, go back into camera and then turn it on. Superior auto should have an HDR mode anyway.

RuGalz

If only more companies would take this approach.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a side effect of these OEMs aren't actually making much money from these devices. Going closer to stock means less engineering and lower cost. I guess it could be a win-win situation for consumers.

But please please please please rewrite the camera software.

White balance, post processing noise, brightness fringing, slow autofocus, burning out detail, bad colour reproduction etc. A lot of these could be made better in software.

And the UI too! Manual mode should be accessible without unlocking the device. It's crazy that I have that quick mode that*can't use HDR*. So I have to unlock the device, go back into camera and then turn it on. Superior auto should have an HDR mode anyway.

Yea dunno wtf is with that.

VoxPop

FUUUUUUUUUUU

What if Google is holding Hangouts 4 for the Android M release?!?!?!?

FUUUUUUUUUUU

If you don't have an iPhone, well you don't have an iPhone

That BB slab looks great. Keyboard is a must. Beats any mobile keyboard past to present. I used to type on that thing while driving without looking at my phone.

reKon

Banned
If you don't have an iPhone, well you don't have an iPhone

That BB slab looks great. Keyboard is a must. Beats any mobile keyboard past to present. I used to type on that thing while driving without looking at my phone.

Damn,
emot-LMAO.gif

j-wood

I mean, it really does make no sense that google apps are updatted/run better on the rival platform than they do on Google's own phone.

reKon

Banned
The ironic thing is that I can never get my friends with iPhone's to use Google Hangouts on the phone for group chats, but yet they Gmail chat all the time. And Google puts a ton of effort in the iOS app...which iOS users still don't really care about because of iMessage...

I don't even, lol

The ironic thing is that I can never get my friends with iPhone's to use Google Hangouts on the phone for group chats, but yet they Gmail chat all the time. And Google puts a ton of effort in the iOS app...which iOS users still don't really care about because of iMessage...

I don't even, lol
I use imessage and hangouts.

Anyway this is how huge businesses work, or at least poorly managed ones. They havea completely separate iOS app team that works on their own, has their own goals/objectives/leadership/etc.... They have a completely different Android team operating on their own as well. iOS team has less garbage ass devices and compatibility to deal with. Of course google can put their foot down and say this update only support these versions of android running this kind of hardware or later.

iOS team has less obstacles to deal with meanwhile Android seems like a clusterfuck for google at times. They don't make Android enough of a priority. Took them forever to fix a memory leak. If there was one in an iphone it would be fixed no joke a day later and be puhed to absolutely every owner instantly.

Android is probably a mess internally.

I don't even, lol
It's not that they put more effort into iOS compared to Android they have separate software teams working on different versions of the apps. It's a lot easier and faster to push out updates on the iOS version because they aren't working with 50+ different phones. You figure the Android team has to be doing a ton of bug-testing and optimizing for all of those different devices.

Outside of closing the current tab with a gesture, all of the iOS Chrome gestures can be replicated by dragging from the overflow menu on Android. Doesn't look as pretty, of course, but it's still a single action being taken.

I don't use Hangouts, so I don't care that they've not pushed the update out yet, but it is weird they've not updated it considering AP has a leaked version of it.

Apart from these two apps though, I can't think of any other significant differences in Google's others iOS apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Have you tried using Rastapop? I think my Nexus 10 never worked better.
I wiped my cache through recovery. It works better now. Phew. But I'll keep your rom on mind. Thanks.

I thought that Nexus 9 on 5.1.1 is fine?
No. Ask Pyro. It can't multitask, like Google Music, without crashing apps.

AJ and rational can never be used together in the same sentence. LoL
When's the next Tegra hype happening

Wreav

Banned
Swipe gestures sure aren't enough to get me to ditch Safari.

But stay losing, Android GApps.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

What if Google is holding Hangouts 4 for the Android M release?!?!?!?

FUUUUUUUUUUU

So what if they are? Not like 4.0 is revolutionary. You guys are salivating for that whipped cream to be squirt on your bowl of shit.

Saiyan-Rox

I wiped my cache through recovery. It works better now. Phew. But I'll keep your rom on mind. Thanks.

Can also confirm.

Also interesting pics of the OP2 be nice to see proper pics and info regarding it. as for actually getting one that's gonna be a melt

Heh a melt

performance definitely got better though after the latest version. It doesn't freeze up or crash much at all. It's definitely not 100% up to par but wayyyyyy improved. You can now switch between apps quickly and have it be semi fluid...

...semi. lol. I don't expect it to get any better than this tbh. But it went from annoying as fuck to goodenough.jpg. Also depends on the app. If it's a heavy one then its crashfest 2015.

jwk94

Is this the first phone with a front-facing flash? I'm surprised it took so long with selfie culture booming.

And I will not be getting the Moto X 2015 unless I can try it first. 5.5 inches is too big.

Top Bottom