• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
We have a winner with that 16gb/2gb option.

moto-g-2015-motomaker.png

That Moto G would be awesome for $199. It'll be more that though but I think that would set it up for success. I'd take it over a zenfone 2. Both models.

Canadian price will be worse. Fucking dollar.

Alpende

Is there a browser/app that allows background audio playback? I have the mobile site for YouTube open on Chrome but it pauzes the audio when I turn off the screen.

Ty4on

Is there a browser/app that allows background audio playback? I have the mobile site for YouTube open on Chrome but it pauzes the audio when I turn off the screen.

I use FREEdi YT Player which can play the video in the background and with the screen off, but it is a little clunky. Searching for videos within the app doesn't really work, but you can use it by clicking a YT link in Chrome and selecting the app when prompted.
It used to be on the Google Play, but I couldn't find it when I had to redownload it. Maybe it's malware, maybe it's Google protecting YT music. I did find it on the Amazon store though and haven't had any issues with it.

jwk94

Promo video for Moto G leaked. Confirms what we already know and the fact that it only allows up to 32 GB micro-SD card.

Saiyan-Rox

I use FREEdi YT Player which can play the video in the background and with the screen off, but it is a little clunky. Searching for videos within the app doesn't really work, but you can use it by clicking a YT link in Chrome and selecting the app when prompted.
It used to be on the Google Play, but I couldn't find it when I had to redownload it. Maybe it's malware, maybe it's Google protecting YT music. I did find it on the Amazon store though.

it's Google.

New T&C make it so that any youtube player cannot play content with the screen off if it's on the play store.

It's a massive pain in the ass.

Quixzlizx

Can you list any apps that can stream apple music content?

Legit asking, never heard of any.

No, I don't even know if they exist. I was just explaining how I think the situations are different.

Does Apple even allow 3rd party iMessage apps or whatever?

Talon

No, I don't even know if they exist. I was just explaining how I think the situations are different.

Does Apple even allow 3rd party iMessage apps or whatever?
Of course not. It's an end to end encrypted service. It'd be insane to share private keys with a third party.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I expect much more in the way of updates from Moto than ASUS, #realtalk

About that #RealTalk

Android Headlines

Finally, this month was supposed to be available for AT&T’s first-generation Moto X, but just a couple of days ago, it got suspended without giving any explanation and only mentioning that they were working to fix it as soon as possible.

Now, Motorola’s David Schuster has explained what the issues were in a message on his official Google+ page. One third of the users of this handset have installed the update and a small percentage of them noticed that some contacts had been lost and they had been experiencing some issues while syncing with AT&T’s Address Book. This could potentially be a big issue, so they would rather not risk the user’s contacts. He mentions that they are working on finding out what causes the issue in order to fix it and he will communicate the progress of the investigation.

That Moto #RealTalk! Deleting your contacts FTW!

Opera use to, if you side load an old version from like 6 months ago. Chrome only allows audio to keep playing with screen off/not on main tab

Would be surprised if it wasn't.

I know it's 2015 and the Nexus 5 had similar specs in 2013 for $349, but I still can't see the new Moto G launching for 199. I mean, it would be fantastic. Pricing in the phone market is really bullshit, though, so I'm sure it's just the skewed perception of what these things should really cost.

Dakota47

Seriously, why do people still care about Samsung phones? Why?!

Me, because they suit my needs more than adequately. I've been using an S6 since early May and it has been a great experience so far. Ever since Touchjizz has been hidden behind a great looking Material Dark theme a couple of weeks ago I've got no qualms about the phone at all.

kharma45

I know it's 2015 and the Nexus 5 had similar specs in 2013 for $349, but I still can't see the new Moto G launching for 199. I mean, it would be fantastic. Pricing in the phone market is really bullshit, though, so I'm sure it's just the skewed perception of what these things should really cost.

It'd mean a massive change in pricing from the first and second gen.

terrier

i wouldn't say nexus 5 has similar specs, no way SD610/615 can be compared to SD800. I expected mid-range phones of 2015 could rival 2013 top devices, but we are not there yet, and don't expect to be the case unless SD 620 really delivers. I would even say SD S4PRO (nexus4) is more powerful than SD615.

The only thing that midrangers have just started to step up is ram, now 2GB seems to be more frequent (even if not the fastest ram). ANd most midrangers are well above 200€/$

If LGg2 was still available would be a much better option than any midranger in the 200-300 price range

Seriously, why do people still care about Samsung phones? Why?!

because some of them are really nice phones with some great features?
Same could be said about any other brand including apple.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
i wouldn't say nexus 5 has similar specs, no way SD610/615 can be compared to SD800. I expected mid-range phones of 2015 could rival 2013 top devices, but we are not there yet, and don't expect to be the case unless SD 620 really delivers. I would even say SD S4PRO (nexus4) is more powerful than SD615.

The only thing that midrangers have just started to step up is ram, now 2GB seems to be more frequent (even if not the fastest ram). ANd most midrangers are well above 200€/$

If LGg2 was still available would be a much better option than any midranger in the 200-300 price range

because some of them are really nice phones with some great features?
Same could be said about any other brand including apple.

The S4 Pro is slower than the SD600. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The S615 benchmarks are vary favorable. No its not the 800/801, but it's clear upgrade over the 600 series. Plus on stuff where 64 bits matter obviously it gets a boost like crypto.

Honestly the main area the 615 has issues is the adreno GPU has about half the performance of the 800/801. Clock for clock the 615 is actually better CPU wise, but it's not clocked as high.

That was for more than just their phones though, right? They've got a shitload more going on than those other companies. Shame Sony isn't on the list.

no lie I don't think I've ever seen an ad for a samsung TV or washer/dryer or whatever else they do lol. Only smartphone ads.

hitgirl

One reason why I don't like Samsung phones. They also have a long ass name and as a result it looks ugly on their phones. HEY EVERYONE THIS IS A SAMSUNG PHONE. As opposed to "M".

Logos on the front of the phone are the first sign that a company A) has no taste whatsoever and B) is more concerned about their own branding than they are delivering the best possible product.

It def leaves a sour taste for me.

Samsung does alot of sponsorship oversea tho ...I see them all over when I traveled SE Asia...saw there logo plaster on stadiums walls and race cars

terrier

The S615 benchmarks are vary favorable. No its not the 800/801, but it's clear upgrade over the 600 series. Plus on stuff where 64 bits matter obviously it gets a boost like crypto.

Honestly the main area the 615 has issues is the adreno GPU has about half the performance of the 800/801. Clock for clock the 615 is actually better CPU wise, but it's not clocked as high.

Yes, Sd600 is better than S4 pro, but both use krait cores. SD615 uses standard arm cores and ain't better that SD600 afaik despite its commercial name that may lead to confusion. I do not have any SD600 device but have an Optimus G with S4pro and it feels snappier than my Xperia M4 aqua using SD615 both with 2GB of ram.
Xperia may have a more capable Gpu despite its heating issues, but besides gaming I feel it performs slightly worse

Hasney

no lie I don't think I've ever seen an ad for a samsung TV or washer/dryer or whatever else they do lol. Only smartphone ads.

I've seen quite a few TV ones over here when they launched their SUHD line.

Side note: Can't fucking believe that they're the only people that have released a 4k TV this year that's worth a shit and after the hell with shitty parts in my current Samsung, I'm only going with a specific retailer that has a 6 year warranty. They do look pretty though.

Ty4on

Not always and S610/615 are not really successors to the S600. I got 12240ms on Kraken 1.1 with my Nexus 4 which beats some S615 phones. The GPU in the S4Pro and S600 (Adreno 320) is also very similar in performance with the one in the S610 and S615 (Adreno 405) using GFX OpenGL with 1080p offscreen. My Nexus 4 is slightly worse (4.8 and 14fps), but devices with the same GPU like the 2013 Moto X were slightly better. I think the Nexus 4 had pretty bad power managment and the Moto X had the advantage of using an S4Pro SKU with a dual core Krait 300 instead of the quad core Krait 200 inside the Nexus 4. The Moto X beat a lot of S600 devices.

It is obviously smashed in areas where ARMv8 made a big difference like crypto.

One reason why I don't like Samsung phones. They also have a long ass name and as a result it looks ugly on their phones. HEY EVERYONE THIS IS A SAMSUNG PHONE. As opposed to "M".
No branding on the front is the best thing about Nexus and Moto devices.

Top Bottom