• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

qD83gpz.png

Bravo, man. Bra-fucking-vo.

jwk94

Disappointed to hear it only has 1gb of ram and an HD screen. Guess I'll have to see about the moto x or just keep my current moto x.

hitgirl

Any chance that Moto G has wireless charging? HD screen is a plus for me, better battery life and not going to notice the lack of pixels at that size.

Sch1sm

Sucks it's only 1gb of ram.
imidoingitrite?

Not reading? Yeah, you're doing it right.

M2 preview on my N5 has been miles better than the first. Significantly less crashes of the system. Some apps still don't agree with it, but I can make do with that since it's expected.

Still waiting for On-Tap like a corpse, though. Google, please.

AndyD

aka andydumi
no lie I don't think I've ever seen an ad for a samsung TV or washer/dryer or whatever else they do lol. Only smartphone ads.

They do a lot for TVs. And they do a ton overseas. Airports and sporting events are always covered in Samsung stuff. And then there's this:

The company also makes a habit of granting scholarships to high school students in Marshall and nearby Tyler, giving a total of $50,000 last year. Winners receive photograph-worthy giant checks with a Samsung logo on them, and those images are often published in the local newspaper. The same check was on display in the News-Messenger when Samsung made a donation to Habitat for Humanity.

No Samsung donation seems to be too small for the company's public relations team to promote. The Samsung Holiday Celebration Show, an $8,000 donation of monitors to Marshall High School, and a field trip to an Austin semiconductor plant all made the News-Messenger. A 2012 op-ed referred to Samsung as "the South Korean company that has fortunately become Marshall’s benefactor."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...uetooth-scores-15-7m-verdict-against-samsung/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Talon

They do a lot for TVs. And they do a ton overseas. Airports and sporting events are always covered in Samsung stuff. And then there's this:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...uetooth-scores-15-7m-verdict-against-samsung/
In Korea, Samsung is basically a combination of Monsanto, GE, Dow Chemical, and Intel. Classic conglomerate with huge stake in heavy industries (shipbuilding), pharmaceuticals, real estate, agriculture, and technology. Started as a foods distribution business.

It's despised domestically as symbolic of the outsized influence that chaebols (family-owned conglomerates) wield in the country. The chairman was caught red-handed with literally a room full of cash used for political bribes, and he was convicted of corruption.

The President, his buddy, pardoned him a few months later.

Haven't heard anything about nexus 5-2 :(

Either it's not coming to carriers or I'll know in a week or two.

It would make sense if it did not come to the carriers, since it will likely be priced like the 4/5. The Huawei one sounds like it's aiming for the high-end like the Nexus 6, so it will probably be similarly (over)priced.

It would make sense if it did not come to the carriers, since it will likely be priced like the 4/5. The Huawei one sounds like it's aiming for the high-end like the Nexus 6, so it will probably be similarly (over)priced.

I'd be cool with that as long as it's not missing any obvious features. Hope it has a scanner and whatnot.

Lots of carriers carried the nexus 5 in canada but not until a little while later. So that could happen as well.

Didn't Sprint carry both the 4 and 5?

Yes and T-Mobile. However, they charged a premium off-contract ($150 more than the Google Play price), and the bigger carriers (AT&T and Verizon) didn't carry the phones at all allegedly due to Google undercutting them on price. The Nexus 6's pricing was, in part, a concession to get them all on-board, and it worked.

I rarely ever see Nexus 6s in the wild but it's crazy how much Nexus 5s I see. And there seems to be no real demographic because I see old people with it probably because it's $0 and the screen is readable. I see young people with it probably for that same reason. And I see people who seem like they'd know phones (stereotypically) with it because it's the bomb.

The fact that google didn't immediately recognize that they need to replicate this was insanity.

Yeah still see tons of Nexus 5 in Toronto. Maybe seen one Nexus 6 in the wild since it was released and I live downtown.

Another L for Google.

I live in toronto too and on the subway/bus every day to work I see a nexus 5s all the time.

Truly the device for all. All they needed to do was fix the battery/camera and keep iterating on it every year. Maybe this is the year they continue that....but not completely happy with 5.2 inches but still acceptable.

So i have a bunch of photos and videos recorded on my tablet. I want to delete these off the tablet but don't want to delete them from my Google account. How would one do this?

I have it backed up to my Google account, Dropbox account and Photobucket account.

I rarely ever see Nexus 6s in the wild but it's crazy how much Nexus 5s I see. And there seems to be no real demographic because I see old people with it probably because it's $0 and the screen is readable. I see young people with it probably for that same reason. And I see people who seem like they'd know phones (stereotypically) with it because it's the bomb.

The fact that google didn't immediately recognize that they need to replicate this was insanity.

I've had the phone since it came out and I love it. My last one finally died from dropping it so much and I immediately bought another one. I play on upgrading to the new one in theFall.

Same. I see Nexus 5's allllll the time in NYC. It's always jarring to me. I've seen a couple of Nexus 6's.

My first reaction is "Good lord, that phone is fucking huge." Then, I realize its the same phone I have. :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've never seen another Nexus 6 in the wild. Ever.

Guys, I really want a new vanilla Android tablet. Why is there no new Nexus tablet coming!!!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I live in Atlanta were ATT wireless is headquarterd and they test a shitload of phones...and have never seen a N6 in public
-----------------------------------------------------------
Also, Moto G (3) to be $179. Might cop one for the hell of it

Furyous

I live in Atlanta were ATT wireless is headquarterd and they test a shitload of phones...and have never seen a N6 in public

That's the 1 GB RAM/8 GB storage version.

Do Moto Gs have a maximum microsd size of 32 GB? Is that the literal max and it will not recognize 128 GB cards?

That's the 1 GB RAM/8 GB storage version.

Do Moto Gs have a maximum microsd size of 32 GB? Is that the literal max and it will not recognize 128 GB cards?
bigger MicroSD cards come pre-formatted to exFAT, which is a filesytstem that Microsoft holds patents on. any device maker that wants to be able to use exFAT cards in their devices has to license the tech from MS, so when a device states that 32GB limit that usually means it doesn't support exFAT. you can still use bigger cards, you would just have to reformat it to FAT32 on another device, like a PC with one of various 3rd party formatting apps as Windows won't let you format a device that size to FAT32 with the built-in tools. a few (older) devices really legitimately don't support higher because math and stuff...

Honestly the Moto X in goddamn no mans land unless it's a perfect phone. By perfect phone I mean great size, great battery life, great camera, great build. Literally perfect. Otherwise at its price point its jst....pointless. You can do an early upgrade and get a better phone for less at the same price or less depending on how much subsidy you have left to pay off. Or you can get a phone that performs about the same for half the price. Or even a phone that for all we know performs better (potentially the OP2).

Moto X needs to be perfect to be desirable to me. And if there is an LG nexus out it might make it totally obsolete.

Back in the day when I worked tech support I got a bunch of calls that were similar where they saw an android update available but passed on it or whatever and then when they wanted to do it it wouldn't come back. You're basically screwed until it comes back I think.

Maybe try disconnecting from your carrier in the settings and reconnecting

Turn off mobile data, airplane mode, reboot phone et al.

The issue is your IMEI saw the update and now needs to re-regisrer on the network to re-pull it. May have to wait 24hrs.

Sorry about the late reply (no iPhone yet), but I failed to get it to show up again. I turned off mobile data, restricted background data, turned on airplane mode, rebooted, turned off AP and just my apps get updated. How do I disconnect from Cricket?

Sorry about the late reply (no iPhone yet), but I failed to get it to show up again. I turned off mobile data, restricted background data, turned on airplane mode, rebooted, turned off AP and just my apps get updated. How do I disconnect from Cricket?
There should be carrier settings where you can connect to any carrier you want. Or maybe just remove the sim and put it back in. It probably won't do shit. We are grasping at straws here. You just got Android'd.

manfestival

considering i have the last moto g. I wouldnt have wanted to shoot myself if it had 2gb of RAM otherwise... 1gb is terrible on it

Top Bottom