• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Even if the Nexus 9 dropped in price, I still wouldn't buy one. I want a tablet that doesn't crash apps on the regular. Chrome, hangouts, music, chrome casting YouTube.

Faynwulf

I'm not sure which phone I should get. It would be really nice to get some opinions on here.

XIAOMI MI4I - 210€
MEIZU M2 Note - 150€
ASUS ZenFone 2 (4gb/1.8ghz variant) - 240€
Elephone P7000 - 210€

I'm looking for a phone that does everything ok. So I guess a Jack of all Trades in the midrange class.
edit: forgot to say that I will play some games on my phone. Nothing too demanding.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Even if the Nexus 9 dropped in price, I still wouldn't buy one. I want a tablet that doesn't crash apps on the regular. Chrome, hangouts, music, chrome casting YouTube.

N9 doesn't crash shit on the latest build.

I swear it's like you have selective reading comprehension.

mturco

Apps very rarely crash on the N9 in my experience. Its problems are more memory issues (apps constantly reloading), lag issues (though much less now with 5.1.1 and even less so with M), and annoying heat issues.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apps very rarely crash on the N9 in my experience. Its problems are more memory issues (apps constantly reloading), lag issues (though much less now with 5.1.1 and even more so with M), and annoying heat issues.
Garbage tablet.

Broman1978

It depends on the app. Some support it. Others don't. I suggest to upload your music to Google Play Music , up to 50k songs for free and use sd to download music for offline play or cache.
You should also disable apps and uninstall those you won't use. Are you using a 8gb M4? It is a nice device but the 8 gb one has serious space issues.Hopefully future fw updates will help a bit, latest one freed 3-400 MB.

Thanks for the google music tip, will try it =)
Yes its the 8GB one =P

But I want excellence in the price deparment. I'm in Europe, so we don't have those sweet data plans like you guys, and no way I'm paying 700 euros for another Nexus.
I pay full price for phones too, but I understand what you're talking about. I feel like Google will go all in for premium devices, or if Pyro's guesses are correct, they'll offer two versions.

Saiyan-Rox

Only thing the nexus 9 has going for it are the speakers the rest especially mtitasking is just horid. Can't even have more than 1 chrome tab open before it needs to reload a tab.

EDIT: Huh I just reset my N9 back to stock and signed in and straight away got an email about my account being signed into a Nexus 9....well that's new

jetsetrez

N9 should be $249 for 16gb imo.

Man I really would love it if Google just went back to the idea of offering premium products for as close to cost as possible. I'd really like a new N5 for $350/400, with USB type C, finger print sensor for Android Pay, a genuinely quality camera, and spec bump. Even keep the screen 1080p, I'd prefer the better battery life anyway.

I have to imagine the N5 sold way better than the N6, hopefully they're thinking about that.

It almost feels like One Plus is embodying the original Nexus ethos more than Google is itself.

Hi AndroidGAF! iOS user here with some prior Android experience before I went to an iPhone 5S.

I'm interested in coming back to Android, but I'm completely out of the loop. I've been looking at the G4 and Z3/Z3C... Are these worth getting now, or would I be shooting myself in the foot by not waiting? What big ticket phones are coming out soon? Any around the size of a 5S/Z3C?

EmiPrime

Hi AndroidGAF! iOS user here with some prior Android experience before I went to an iPhone 5S.

I'm interested in coming back to Android, but I'm completely out of the loop. I've been looking at the G4 and Z3/Z3C... Are these worth getting now, or would I be shooting myself in the foot by not waiting? What big ticket phones are coming out soon? Any around the size of a 5S/Z3C?

If you want a smaller phone you may as well get the Z3C now. Otherwise wait for the new Nexus devices.

None around those sizes unless you want a shitty phone because in the android world small phones = gimped.

Also the xperia z5 compact will be out sooner or later this year. With that said, join the rest of us in waiting for the nexus phone(s). AKA the only phones really worth getting. I'd take an S6 over a G4 though. Z3 compact is dated.

3phemeral

Well, you have the Motorola event tomorrow and One Plus Two. Not sure what else is coming up but it couldn't hurt to wait at least until tomorrow.

None around those sizes unless you want a shitty phone because in the android world small phones = gimped.

Also the xperia z5 compact will be out sooner or later this year. With that said, join the rest of us in waiting for the nexus phone(s). AKA the only phones really worth getting. I'd take an S6 over a G4 though. Z3 compact is dated.

Seems like the Z5C will have the same resolution and body as the Z3C with the 810 2.1? I don't play games outside of silly timewasters, so it can't be that much of an improvement... Right?

Volotaire

There's the Xperia Z30, Z50 (which may be the Z5 and Z5C rebranded), the Nexus 5-2, the other new Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge +, 1+2 to look forward to for the big flagships of Q3/Q4 2015. Moreover, there may be minor updates to phones such as the G4 or modifications that may release too.

Wait until end of next month/Sep and you will have a much better idea. That will be many months before the next update cycle of Q1/Q2 2016 and rumours will be solidified.

My only big issue here is that I have a month left on my contract
You can sit on the upgrade though. No need to use it right away. I say wait until early september or mid to late august. By then you'll definitely know if the OP2 doesn't suck or has issues, if the moto x is decent, nexus phones will probably have leaked many of times by then, sony's upcoming lineup will be known, etc...

By late august which is one month we'll know more than we do now. If you wait a week or two later than that you'll probably know more! If you plan on using your next phone for at least 2 years I think waiting a month or just past a month is worthwhile. That's just me.

You can sit on the upgrade though. No need to use it right away. I say wait until early september or mid to late august. By then you'll definitely know if the OP2 doesn't suck or has issues, if the moto x is decent, nexus phones will probably have leaked many of times by then, sony's upcoming lineup will be known, etc...

By late august which is one month we'll know more than we do now. If you wait a week or two later than that you'll probably know more! If you plan on using your next phone for at least 2 years I think waiting a month or just past a month is worthwhile. That's just me.

How do I go about getting a decent 2 month stop gap plan, though? I'm in Canada.

Faynwulf

I'm not sure which phone I should get. It would be really nice to get some opinions on here.

XIAOMI MI4I - 210€
MEIZU M2 Note - 150€
ASUS ZenFone 2 (4gb/1.8ghz variant) - 240€
Elephone P7000 - 210€

I'm looking for a phone that does everything ok. So I guess a Jack of all Trades in the midrange class.
edit: forgot to say that I will play some games on my phone. Nothing too demanding.

I still need a recommendation. If anyone has another idea for a phone around 200€, feel free to tell me.

My plan is old, though. They don't offer it

I'm with Telus on a 3 year plan, getting 6gb for $65
are you sure they're even going to let you upgrade when your contract is up? People on those old promo plans are being forced onto newer plans if you upgrade. Only choice is to buy your next phone off contract. Unless Telus told you otherwise recently....

Or are you saying you know you're going to have to switch plans. In which case don't worry, they'll let you keep using that one as long as you don't upgrade.

Saiyan-Rox

Fuck I forgot how annoying the OP forum is to go on especially around the launch time.

Nothing but new users Invite begging (even when there are none yet!)
Saying their phones are broken/out of date so they want a new one
Posting the same shitty pictures over and over

Top Bottom