• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I got a Note 4 today hnnghhhhh the battery life on this thing is from another world *_* Not sure if I'll need that second battery.
Mine is good but nowhere near as good as what everyone is reporting. ;_;

Time to disable Nova and take off this S View Flip cover, because they're the things left I haven't done.

It's not like another gig will magically fix the 810 throttling issues.

What a cluster.

And sorry, Pyro...the good guys are winning.

NZWqcV3.jpg
Sony should have been higher. Oh well. And HTC had their chance with the Nexus 9 but they blew it lololol. Maybe next year Pyro

Snapdragon 810 has regular ARM Cortex-A57 cores, because I guess Qualcomm didn't have their usual custom cores ready for 2015. In that regard there's nothing different between Qualcomm's SoC this year and what Samsung/Nvidia have been doing with bog-standard licensed ARM cores. This is a huge stumble for Qualcomm this year, because in previous years it was their superior custom designs which gave them the lead in thermal design and performance per watt.

The difference in 2015 is Samsung owns their own fabs and they are at 14nm process on Exynos 7420, they are going to just murder Snapdragon 810 in thermal design and performance per watt because 810 is at the same 20nm process everyone else who's IP-only are stuck at. And Samsung isn't going to share, if you want the best 64-bit phone SoC in 2015 you're going to have to buy a Galaxy S6 or Note 5.

Nvidia are the wild card here, they are announcing something on March 3rd and if it happens to be a new Tegra with the same goddamn ARM cores as Qualcomm and Samsung, but with a Maxwell-based GPU and the long-awaited integrated Icera software baseband/modem, they have finally accomplished what they have been working so hard at for more than half a decade and finally become the new Qualcomm. The new Tegra will murder every other ARM SoC in tablets when it comes to straight up performance, but as usual it will probably run too hot for anything but the largest phones. But hey, Qualcomm is running hot this year too, so it's as good an opportunity as Nvidia will ever have in this very competitive market.

I should sell my Qualcomm stock, come to think of it. This won't be a good year for them.

giga

Snapdragon 810 has regular ARM Cortex-A57 cores, because I guess Qualcomm didn't have their usual custom cores ready for 2015. In that regard there's nothing different between Qualcomm's SoC this year and what Samsung/Nvidia have been doing with bog-standard licensed ARM cores. This is a huge stumble for Qualcomm this year, because in previous years it was their superior custom designs which gave them the lead in thermal design and performance per watt.

The difference in 2015 is Samsung owns their own fabs and they are at 14nm process on Exynos 7420, they are going to just murder Snapdragon 810 in thermal design and performance per watt because 810 is at the same 20nm process everyone else who's IP-only are stuck at. And Samsung isn't going to share, if you want the best 64-bit phone SoC in 2015 you're going to have to buy a Galaxy S6 or Note 5.

Nvidia are the wild card here, they are announcing something on March 3rd and if it happens to be a new Tegra with the same goddamn ARM cores as Qualcomm and Samsung, but with a Maxwell-based GPU and the long-awaited integrated Icera software baseband/modem, they have finally accomplished what they have been working so hard at for more than half a decade and finally become the new Qualcomm. The new Tegra will murder every other ARM SoC in tablets when it comes to straight up performance, but as usual it will probably run too hot for anything but the largest phones. But hey, Qualcomm is running hot this year too, so it's as good an opportunity as Nvidia will ever have in this very competitive market.

I should sell my Qualcomm stock, come to think of it. This won't be a good year for them.
You're only talking about Android OEMs right? Because Samsung already signed a major contract with Apple to fab the A9 at 14nm.

Kal-El
Wayne
Grey
Logan
Erista
Stark/Parker

You're only talking about Android OEMs right? Because Samsung already signed a major contract with Apple to fab the A9 at 14nm.

Yeah

Apple is a funny company, they sue Samsung all day and night but in the end both Apple and Samsung know they need each other. Samsung needs to keep their fabs humming making SoCs for Apple, and Apple doesn't have anybody else who can make them SoCs at the 14nm node because God knows Intel isn't going to help and TSMC are hopeless.

I can't believe it happened, but this post has somehow got me hyped for a new Tegra (and to a lesser extent, the new Exynos). Well done, Unknown.

I'll keep my expectations low and assume there will be something off with the new Tegra. And speaking of Tegra, it's like the mobile processor version of the nexus line and/or Google when it comes to Android.

this_guy

They design them, but they don't manufacture them. That's usually outsourced to TSMC or Samsung.

Fabbing is a complicated process with limited volume, so there's only so many companies out there that do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants

Correct - I was just pointing out that Apple designs their own CPU core. Qualcomm also does this, but with the new 64 bit CPUs they're using standard ARM designed cores. Qualcomm doesn't have as big an advantage in performance vs other chip manufacturers like Samsung or even MediaTek any more (excluding gpu performance).

I can't believe it happened, but this post has somehow got me hyped for a new Tegra (and to a lesser extent, the new Exynos). Well done, Unknown.

I'll keep my expectations low and assume there will be something off with the new Tegra. And speaking of Tegra, it's like the mobile processor version of the nexus line and/or Google when it comes to Android.

Well Google does like putting Tegras in Nexus tablets for some reason. It's that Santa Clara connection lol

Toki767

That Sonic Cycle delivers again.

ILoveBish

As much as i love my note 2, i really want a upgrade at this point. With nexus 6 coming to verizon, it is in the running although there is so much i do not like about it. Waiting for all the big phone news to come out in the new few weeks, see whats on the horizon and go from there. The note 4 might be another option just because i really like the gear vr.

giga

Correct - I was just pointing out that Apple designs their own CPU core. Qualcomm also does this, but with the new 64 bit CPUs they're using standard ARM designed cores. Qualcomm doesn't have as big an advantage in performance vs other chip manufacturers like Samsung or even MediaTek any more (excluding gpu performance).
Oh gotcha. Carry on.

Jigolo

Generally great chips with little to no issues: Qualcomm chips (i.e Snapdragon), Samsung (i.e Exynos), Apple (A series)

Shit chips: Nvidia,

Not sure: MediaTek, Intel

Out of the 64-bit chips out now we're 1/3. Apple's 64-bit is good. Nvidia Denver is pretty bad. Snapdragon 810, I need to see more of this. I don't trust LG and it's GFlex 2 with this. I'll wait for the M9 for proper judgement.

7420 we have to wait and see.

Regardless the big step forward will be FinFet.

Generally great chips with little to no issues: Qualcomm chips (i.e Snapdragon), Samsung (i.e Exynos), Apple (A series)

Shit chips: Nvidia,

Not sure: MediaTek, Intel

Out of the 64-bit chips out now we're 1/3. Apple's 64-bit is good. Nvidia Denver is pretty bad. Snapdragon 810, I need to see more of this. I don't trust LG and it's GFlex 2 with this. I'll wait for the M9 for proper judgement.

7420 we have to wait and see.

Regardless the big step forward will be FinFet.

If the m9 is shit because the 810 I really hope Moto is not stupid enough to use it. May be too late for the g4

If the m9 is shit because the 810 I really hope Moto is not stupid enough to use it. May be too late for the g4
by the time the moto phones come out won't the problem with the 810s be solved? I'm actually asking I have no idea lol. I honestly do not trust nvidia/android optimization sometimes.

Jigolo

You think the 810 is shit because it has issues on the Gflex but LG hasn't exactly been great when it comes to handling heat and throttling. Anandtech had to put the Nexus 4 in the freezer to run proper benchmarking tests on the phone. The G3 has had heating issues as well and that was running the 801 which runs really well on the S5 and M8.

Again let's wait and see before you call the chip shit.

ILoveBish

Have you put Lollipop (cm12) on there yet? Breaths so much new life into it. Big performance boost too.

I went from 21800 to 28000 on the Antutu benchmark tests. That's straight up like a Note 3.

CM is pure shit, i suffered with it on the note 2 and several other devices, i'm done with it.

As much as i love my note 2, i really want a upgrade at this point. With nexus 6 coming to verizon, it is in the running although there is so much i do not like about it. Waiting for all the big phone news to come out in the new few weeks, see whats on the horizon and go from there. The note 4 might be another option just because i really like the gear vr.
just sit on it until all the stuff you're interested in this year is revealed. Waiting is a beeeetch but it will be worth it going from note 2 to s6/m9/motox2015/nexus7/note5/etc...

Massive jump right thurr.

CM is pure shit, i suffered with it on the note 2 and several other devices, i'm done with it.
Dude, I'm totally with you on that, and have my fair share of CM stories, but this is so stable compared to any CM11 rom I've ever used. I definitely recommend it. Big step up from touchwiz kitkat.

You think the 810 is shit because it has issues on the Gflex but LG hasn't exactly been great when it comes to handling heat and throttling. Anandtech had to put the Nexus 4 in the freezer to run proper benchmarking tests on the phone. The G3 has had heating issues as well and that was running the 801 which runs really well on the S5 and M8.

I said IF

Regardless, early benchmarks with preview kits were not that great where throttling was not necessary

Jigolo

I said IF

Regardless, early benchmarks with preview kits were not that great where throttling was not necessary

lol reading comprehension fail. missed that word completely.

I have full confidence that IF that's the case QC will solve the issues before the year is over in another 810 model (MSMxxxx [G4 & Z4 will probably use this chip) and nail their 820 FinFet design for the M10
pls don't let me down QC

rrvv

Yeah

Apple is a funny company, they sue Samsung all day and night but in the end both Apple and Samsung know they need each other. Samsung needs to keep their fabs humming making SoCs for Apple, and Apple doesn't have anybody else who can make them SoCs at the 14nm node because God knows Intel isn't going to help and TSMC are hopeless.

Tbh you can make that comparison with any tech company. they simply like to help and being jerk to each other

thuway

Time to disable Nova and take off this S View Flip cover, because they're the things left I haven't done.
Have you rooted your phone? You should root it and try and run greenify.

Also there are some awesome modified stock roms which debloat touchwiz.

Yeah LG is throwing shit at the wall right now.

G3 was tragic, coulda been one of the goats.

Yeah I kept TouchWiz, it's not as ugly as it used to be. I just did Duolingo for 45 minutes and the battery only dropped 12%, I think that's really impressive :D

I watched a two hour movie though and kept it on charge. The battery only went from 18% to 44%. What's up with that, I thought this thing had fast charging :eek:

Toki767

It's not exactly fair to compare the G3 with the S5 and M8 in that sense. They may use the same chip, but the G3 is a much higher resolution than those two phones. Plus most of the problems with the G3 seemed to come in the 2GB RAM models for some reason. For instance, mine doesn't really get any hotter than my old S3.

teiresias

Is anyone experiencing broken search on their phone? If I do a search using the homescreen widget or do a voice search, the results page (the one with "web", "images", etc. along the bottom) opens but is blank, no error message is thrown.

Search is fine doing it through the chrome browser.

This just started tonight after I changed my account password and relogged in, a reboot didn't help. I swear this crap and Lollipop in general are going to drive me to iPhone at this rate.

terrier

Third Radio

HTC VP of product management says Android 5.1 launches in March

I read somewhere yesterday that a nexus 5 runnuning 5.1 was spotted in a benchmark database so i guess soon will be released. I wonder what will it fix or unfix ..

Apple also designs their own CPU cores, and their processors have been ahead of what's available on Android.]

I have my doubts. Not saying is a bad cpu, but it is obviously tailored for iOS, so it would be fun to see an apple SoC running android. Or viceversa.

Sony should have been higher. Oh well. And HTC had their chance with the Nexus 9 but they blew it lololol. Maybe next year Pyro
google is the one that blew it. HTC did a fine job I thought. Hardware is great outside of some quality control issues which plagued the nexus 7 initially as well.

Also the Nexus One was the OG.

Wreav

Banned
This next 10 days are going to be so long.

N6 coming to VZW on Thursday, M9 getting shown off Saturday...

Pretty curious to finally hold an N6. I find the Note 4 super comfortable to hold thanks to the hard edges, where an iPhone 6+ seems downright unwieldy. Should be interesting to see how the N6 handles.

Top Bottom