• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

NotBacon

I tried to get into stock recovery, but it just launched TWRP.

Tried downloading the rom from a couple places, same error.

This fuckin blows. I don't understand why this is so difficult, especially when I'm willing to wipe everything out and return to completely stock android (which i'm already running).

If I just go with Cyanogenmod 12 will I not have this problem?

The MD5 check doesn't matter, as it skips the step anyway due to no file being found. That's normal.

I'm not sure if you can flash a stock ROM through TWRP (don't see why not), but what stands out to me is: are you downloading the correct zip? There are 4 different Nexus 7 lollipop 5.0.2 images, make sure it's the correct one.

Also, try flashing through adb. If your USB port is physically (and it's not a simple SDK problem), then there are WiFi adb apps you can use with root.

terrier

So samsung included silent mode in lollipop update for Note Edge. This is make makes oem skins worth sometimes. That said is weird that is not included in other devices that also have lollipop. Seems they are testing different things because they removed ambient display for the note 4 from the preview too , maybe waiting for 5.1 and just releasing lollipop just because other do.

What do you mean? You would still have to wait for t-mobile to release lollipop Unless you root and flash a custom rom.
Well, I'm on at&t so I doubt I'm getting the update anytime soon.

Yo don't need to root and install a custom rom on samsung devices to install lollipop.
You just need to know what device and version of it (for example i have a Note 4 with snapdragon, SM-N910F model) search firmware on sammobile for your model and flash it via odin. No root required, no knox counter , no warranty voided.
I have german firmware for N910F models on my Spanish carrier's Note 4

thenexus6

I'm unsure what to do..

My Nexus 5 started having problems with the power button (constantly rebooting itself throughout the day) plus I have a mark on the camera lens). I thought okay I am just going to buy a new phone to use instead now.

I went out and got the first gen Moto G with 4G. Which i've had almost a week.

I am not a power user, I don't need the latest flagship with killer specs. I don't really do anything intensive like games or anything. Its chrome casting, browsing, social media. I even said to myself way back if anything happened to my Nexus I would get a Moto G to replace it due to such a low price (£99).

However the Moto is noticeably laggy (obviously I knew the performance wouldn't be as good) compared to my Nexus 5 just opening apps, settings and moving around the UI and it bugs me.

I have complied a list of things for and against both phones.

Moto G
- The 720 4.5 screen is really great actually no problems there
- The battery is better than my Nexus 5 by a considerable amount
- The SD card is great. Even though only 8GB built in. I put a 64GB card in so I can have a lot more music on my phone now and saved some apps

- The camera sucks
- The performance, 1GB ram shows. I am not sure if Lollipop will help in anyway when released here "soon"

Nexus 5
- Better performance
- Software updates much quicker

- Limited storage
- Bad camera
- Bad battery

I am going to see how much the power button repair will cost then I am faced with what to do next.. I have 28 days to return the Moto G for a refund at the shop. I am almost 100% sure I could get more than £100 for my Nexus 5 which would completely over the Moto G cost.

I was looking at getting a Z3 compact before all this happened but didn't have the money to spend on a phone.

Good specs, killer battery, micro SD. But i've never owned a Xperia phone and not sure how i'd like the OS.

Why must my life be filled with so many first world problems..

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm unsure what to do..

My Nexus 5 started having problems with the power button (constantly rebooting itself throughout the day) plus I have a mark on the camera lens). I thought okay I am just going to buy a new phone to use instead now.

I am not a power user, I don't need the latest flagship with killer specs. I don't really do anything intensive like games or anything. Its chrome casting, browsing, social media. I even said to myself way back if anything happened to my Nexus I would get a Moto G to replace it due to such a low price (£99).

However the Moto is noticeably laggy (obviously I knew the performance wouldn't be as good) compared to my Nexus 5 just opening apps, settings and moving around the UI and it bugs me.

I have complied a list of things for and against both phones.

Moto G
- The SD card is great. Even though only 8GB built in. I put a 64GB card in so I can have a lot more music on my phone now and saved some apps

- The camera sucks
- The performance, 1GB ram shows. I am not sure if Lollipop will help in anyway when released here "soon"

Nexus 5
- Better performance
- Software updates much quicker

- Limited storage
- Bad camera
- Bad battery

I am going to see how much the power button repair will cost then I am faced with what to do next.. I have 28 days to return the Moto G for a refund at the shop. I am almost 100% sure I could get more than £100 for my Nexus 5 which would completely over the Moto G cost.

I was looking at getting a Z3 compact before all this happened but didn't have the money to spend on a phone.

Good specs, killer battery, micro SD. But i've never owned a Xperia phone and not sure how i'd like the OS.

Why must my life be filled with so many first world problems..
Yeah, going from a Nexus 4 to a Moto G I noticed significant lag also. Otherwise a pretty good phone but that is definitely a biggie and made me realize that 1gb RAM just isn't enough these days on Android.

Donos

Well, nice that i can add other mail accounts in the gmail app now but i can't change color/background of the different accounts. I'm always guessing which is which when i'm changing the mail accounts.

thenexus6

Yeah, going from a Nexus 4 to a Moto G I noticed significant lag also. Otherwise a pretty good phone but that is definitely a biggie and made me realize that 1gb RAM just isn't enough these days on Android.

yeah I think I might just keep the N5 and return the moto g. Then maybe waif and see what other phones are released later this year

Avixph

Case maker OBLIQ has sent GSMArena images of one of their Samsung Galaxy S6 case design, and has confirmed that the thickness of the device will be 6.9mm. With the cases on, the tickness of the Samsung Galaxy S6 will measure 9.5mm thick.

qSPx2Ja.jpg

We already knew it but straight from Kaz's mouth:

Asked about the TV and mobile phone units, Hirai said he would not "rule out considering an exit strategy", Sony's clearest statement to date about the possibility of selling or finding partners for these struggling units.
-reuters

Noema

I'm unsure what to do..

Moto G

- The camera sucks

I feel your pain. This is exactly how I feel about the Moto G.

There's no way around it. 1GB of RAM on Android sucks. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Lollipop helps a little bit but it will never be a smooth experience. I can't imagine what it must be like to go from a Nexus 5 to the Moto G. And the camera is...subpar, to say the least. I came from an iPhone 4 (a 2010 phone) to the Moto G and even that had a better camera.

At least the G has amazing battery life. (I usually get 5 hours+ of SoT on 5.0.1). I love not having to carry my charger with me.

It's a pity, since the S400 on the G is solid. Rarely do I feel that the CPU is holding the phone back. It's the goddamn RAM and the fact that it has to dump processes off the memory all the time.

A 2015 Moto G with a Snapdragon 620, 2GB of RAM and the same camera as the 2014 Moto G would be absolutely amazing. I wouldn't even care if they dumped a 720p display on it.

tfur

I had my first problem with my November purchased Nexus 6. It seems I lost my wifi passwords. I was forced to reconnect and re-enter passwords for wifi access points.

NSA must be updating my deets.

thenexus6

I feel your pain. This is exactly how I feel about the Moto G.

There's no way around it. 1GB of RAM on Android sucks. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Lollipop helps a little bit but it will never be a smooth experience. I can't imagine what it must be like to go from a Nexus 5 to the Moto G. And the camera is...subpar, to say the least. I came from an iPhone 4 (a 2010 phone) to the Moto G and even that had a better camera.

At least the G has amazing battery life. (I usually get 5 hours+ of SoT on 5.0.1). I love not having to carry my charger with me.

It's a pity, since the S400 on the G is solid. Rarely do I feel that the CPU is holding the phone back. It's the goddamn RAM and the fact that it has to dump processes off the memory all the time.

A 2015 Moto G with a Snapdragon 620, 2GB of RAM and the same camera as the 2014 Moto G would be absolutely amazing. I wouldn't even care if they dumped a 720p display on it.

Yeah if a 2015 Moto had those specs i'd be very happy, doubtful anything like that will happen though. The battery has been great I have only charged it 2 or 3 times in the week i've had it. Nexus 5 was multiple times a day.

Need that anandtech review of the gflex 2.

Yeah, I always prefer to wait for their reviews before making any major purchasing decisions, which can be hard because they take a lot of time with their reviews.

Reviews I've read so far are pretty positive overall, through. It sounds like the 2GB of RAM is an issue when running too many apps but that there's a chance a software update will improve things. And the Snapdragon 810 sounds pretty good and not the hot mess it was rumored to be (fingers crossed).

I doubt I'll look into getting this phone since I'll at least wait until the 1st to see what new phones are coming out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
N6 wouldn't survive a 19 story elevator shaft fall without that self healing skin.

The elevator shaft wouldn't survive an N6 falling down 19 stories.

All I know is I got lollipop (CM12) running on my note 2, and nexus 7. Both stable as all hell. So I couldn't be happier at this point.

Having said all that, I definitely got some new phone fever. I think by the time all the new stuff comes out, I'll be ready to upgrade. Lollipop definitely breathed new life into my note 2 though.

Any ways, as of now, I have my eyes on whatever comes next from one plus, or maybe the LG G4.

Would like to get a nexus again, especially with that screen size, but I just can't spend that much.

Wreav

Banned
It's not like another gig will magically fix the 810 throttling issues.

What a cluster.

And sorry, Pyro...the good guys are winning.

NZWqcV3.jpg

Top Bottom