• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

all android oems decided they needed to 'differentiate' their skin to sell phones. now that none of their phones are selling, might as well make it painless to update the software.
it turns out user experience IS in fact important.

Android OEMs are just learning this in 2015. It's pretty shocking actually.

HawkeyeIC

I mean with how large some of these companies are it somewhat makes sense (slow to adapt). Android up to 4.XX wasn't exactly great stock software so OEMs actually put out improvements. But now that we're (almost) in 5.2 land, other than a few tweaks, it's silly to keep spending lots of money in that area.

Yeah it's unbelievable. I switched my note over to cm12.1 and its so smooth I don't wanna go back. Only problem is I travel a lot and picture quality is important. Note 4 camera is trash without touchwiz drivers

Wreav

Banned

Not sure I'd go THAAAAAT far. Samsung experience still sucks to the TouchWiz memory bug, which will probably still be present on the Note 5. HTC is and will be garbage until the 2nd coming, and LG...not even sure what's going on in their UX department.

Not sure I'd go THAAAAAT far. Samsung experience still sucks to the TouchWiz memory bug, which will probably still be present on the Note 5. HTC is and will be garbage until the 2nd coming, and LG...not even sure what's going on in their UX department.
touchwiz def has a lot to go but you had samsung on stage basically celebrating the fact that they scaled back their bullshit by 40% as if it was a feature lol. But yeah LG and HTC :/ And Samsung does still have a lot left to go.

My shit was refreshing like an iPhone.. 3gb of ram for nothing

Fuck touchwiz

Wreav

Banned
With Samsung Touchwiz on the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, every time you open an app, you get that "freshly installed" feeling of seeing things for the first time. With UFS 2.0 storage memory, your apps will open even faster than ever, ensuring Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge users have the premium smartphone experience.

With Samsung Touchwiz on the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, every time you open an app, you get that "freshly installed" feeling of seeing things for the first time. With UFS 2.0 storage memory, your apps will open even faster than ever, ensuring Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge users have the premium smartphone experience.
They designed it that way. Design With Purpose™

Saiyan-Rox

ehhh how do I do that? maybe I should try that for my Gallery app - it's the one lagging right now.

too much clutter

looking forward to Note5... haha but I kinda wanna get a Nexus so I can get the latest Android software updates :/

Know how to access the recovery for your phone at all? should be an option in there for erasing the delvik cache, might help a bit but no guarantee.

Saiyan-Rox

is that shit still a thing? cause that would piss me off it;s the main reason I stopped using hangouts on my Nexus 6 it would just have to re-open after going back to it and re-load the text messages.

:EDIT A shit double postage, my bad!

Jacir

I'm LTTP on the unsubscribe feature in the desktop chrome client. Am I missing something when this feature isn't in the gmail Android app?

Wreav

Banned
If you're about that flagship life, you shouldn't buy a phone until it has USB-C IMO.

Z5 may be flaplessly waterproof, but if it's micro, who gives a flip?

If you're about that flagship life, you shouldn't buy a phone until it has USB-C IMO.

Z5 may be flaplessly waterproof, but if it's micro, who gives a flip?

One Plus 2 has usb type c :) All about that near stock experience with great battery life, top of the line specs including ddr 4 memory and usb type c at a price hundreds less than other flagships:)

Next year we'll have htc going for broke with a likely redesign. We may get a hint of it with their upcoming q4 high end phone.

We'll have Sony being Sony. LG gonna LG. Moto gonna moto.

Samsung is going to slightly refine the s6 me thinks but it's honestly tough to call. It's not doing well. I hope they scale touchwiz back more and make it thicker with a bigger battery.

Apple going to release a new design with the 7.

Who knows what nexus holds. We'll see this year first.

One Plus 2 has usb type c :) All about that near stock experience with great battery life, top of the line specs including ddr 4 memory and usb type c at a price hundreds less than other flagships:)
I can't remember the user's name, but you're just as bad, if not worse than XFON dude from a couple years back.

this_guy

...But wait there's more! If you order within the next 24 hours you also get a USB type c included. That's a $49.95 value.

Hardware wise and price it competes with the ZTE Axon.

...But wait there's more! If you order within the next 24 hours you also get a USB type c included. That's a $49.95 value.

Hardware wise and price it competes with the ZTE Axon.

472%20-%20don_west%20gif%20high_five%20mike_tenay%20tna.gif

Have a tough decision to make and I REALLY need all your input. I'm completely torn.

Background: An issue with my carrier (I live in Canada) has prevented a subsidized upgrade to the newest flagships without significant expense on my part. So I have to turn to last gen phones instead.

Here are my choices (both brand new):

- LG G3 (32GB) for C$450
- Samsung Galaxy S5 (16GB) for C$450

My #1 gripe with phones is battery life. I hated my S3 battery life so much that I bought a massive 3,000 mAh brick battery which made the phone twice as thick. Not one of my prouder moments but now I get through a day without issue. Outside of the battery, I loved my S3.

Thanks in advance!!!
If your #1 gripe is battery life, then S5 is the better option out of the two despite the slightly larger mAh of G3. I don’t own either device btw, but going by the reaction of colleagues I know who had tried both, G3 appears to be the one to avoid if battery is your biggest concern. But don’t take my word for it, scroll down the list and see for yourself.

http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

Edit: LOL at Nexus 5 with Lollipoop.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/benchmarking-android-5-0-lollipop-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s5-lg-g3/

Someone has gotta offer up an alternative to the non stop Nexus and Motorola deep throating around here.
I don’t post here often, but the very few times I do, the overall vibe I get is there seem to extra concession given to those brands around here, with this constant preaching of shit like stock look and feel, while shortcomings like shite battery or camera doesn’t get as much aggro compared to OEM skins for example. /shrugs

If they're not paying him, he at least deserves a big discount on the new phone.

Yeah the yellow screen affected most of the early phones. I went through a couple myself before getting a good one. They fixed that after a few months.

Any phone you use without a case will get dings and scratches and materials will wear off. I have mine in a case and still looks brand new when I take it out.

Customer service is a sore point with them but they started out incredibly small with only a few people and have improved considerably with their customer service since then by most accounts. You won't find a better deal on a smartphone of that quality out.
I guess something like this would be opt in if you wanted them to do it if it's true. No other company comes close with what they offer for the price in specs or build quality.
Eh? You can get a one plus one that is superior to this for most likely $30 more. 8gb of storage is really ridiculous at this point in a phone running lollipop.
Judging by previous versions it will go for $220-$230. You can get a OPO for $250. The issues with earlier OPO units have all been fixed at this point. You can read several happy with theirs in the One Plus thread.
There are more phones out in a similar price range now that are also better. OPO is just the main one that sticks iut as a solid pho e at a great price with near stock android. There is no reason to buy a moto g if it costs $220-$230 like the previous versions when it comes with those specs.
Wait for the OnePlus2 launch on Monday before you do anything.
One Plus One. WWW.oneplus.net great specs, price, and battery life.
OnePlus 2 coming soon. I'd get that.
This is so weird. People complain about touch screen issues, but it has never affected me at all. I don't mind a few bugs though, since they get fixed relatively soon usually in nightlies. Every phone has issues like this that aren't fixed.
You should keep it. You have 6 months of buyer protection with PayPal, but 99% of people don't have a problem with their phone.
Should be much easier to get one this time. They are having 50x the launch inventory this time and I should have invites to give out as soon as available.

If he isn't getting anything out of it, he's clearly doing it wrong.

I don’t post here often, but the very few times I do, the overall vibe I get is there seem to extra concession given to those brands around here, with this constant preaching of shit like stock look and feel, while shortcomings like shite battery or camera doesn’t get as much aggro compared to OEM skins for example. /shrugs
we've been doing nothing but shit on the nexus 6 for a straight year and bash motorola pretty frequently. Especially the latest Moto X.

This couldn't be more wrong lol.

edit: didn't realize the OP2 event was so late. 10pm est :/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When you apply for the One Plus invites, do they require you to input your food stamp registration? Or can I get away with just guaranteeing One Plus a portion of my welfare check?

we've been doing nothing but shit on the nexus 6 for a straight year and bash motorola pretty frequently. Especially the latest Moto X.

This couldn't be more wrong lol.
Huh? Was I referring to you in any way?

Look I specifically mentioned “general vibe”. Hell, just look at this page alone and the incessant talk of OEM skins lol. That’s just seems to the general vibe I get everytime I stopped by to catch up on thread.

What made you think I was referring to you specifically? Was it because I offered sounder advice to CheRamsay re G3 vs S5, and you feel somewhat salty? LOL whatever helps you sleep at night man. Looks like I struck a nerve somewhere.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Was it because I offered sounder advice to CheRamsay re G3 vs S5, and you feel somewhat salty? LOL whatever helps you sleep at night man. Looks like I struck a nerve somewhere.
This is hilarious.

Top Bottom