• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Talon

People using custom roms stay winning.
How are custom roms winning? Some of the applications pre-cache MMS, some of them don't, but as soon as you open the message, the code runs. It was a matter of time before an exploit is out there that's directly related to platform updates.

Unrelated but the nutty part of Android is the amount of changes that LG and Samsung does to the core keychain store. There is no fucking reason to touch a core process like the keychain store at all, especially with organizations that objectively have limited competencies in security compared to Google.

How are custom roms winning? Some of the applications pre-cache MMS, some of them don't, but as soon as you open the message, the code runs.

Unrelated but the nutty part of Android is the amount of changes that LG and Samsung does to the core keychain store. There is no fucking reason to touch a core process like the keychain store at all, especially with organizations that objectively have limited competencies in security compared to Google.

Because it's already been fixed by Google and rolled into up to date cm based roms. Only people affected are using manufacturer code that's older.

Saiyan-Rox

How are custom roms winning? Some of the applications pre-cache MMS, some of them don't, but as soon as you open the message, the code runs. It was a matter of time before an exploit is out there that's directly related to platform updates.

usually CyanogenMod roll those fixes into the code as soon as their found so it's probably fixed if you're on one of the nightlies.

Check back a page :p

Drifters

lol I didn't hate on you that much - fwiw, my 2014 Moto X is probably one of the best purchases I've made in Android land

I'm legit on the fence about the Moto X3 or the OnePlus 2 for my next phone. Although, the HTC speakers are going to be hard to top but I'm hoping the X or 1+2 comes close.

loldroid keeps on taking the L

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/07/27/android-text-attacks/

On the real, though, are you guys really comfortable with this platform anymore from a security frame of mind?

Two L's for Android in a single day. Damn.

I think OP2 looks pretty decent. We know the camera performs well enough. OP1 had great battery but I think going to QHD is going to hurt it. Which is a shame.

Other than that looks solid enough. I most likely won't be getting it but I think they've done well. Throwing 4gb of RAM and usb c and a fingerprint sensor. The phone is basically a fuck you to the slacker OEMs like LG/HTC.

Saiyan-Rox

I think OP2 looks pretty decent. We know the camera performs well enough. OP1 had great battery but I think going to QHD is going to hurt it. Which is a shame.

Other than that looks solid enough. I most likely won't be getting it but I think they've done well. Throwing 4gb of RAM and usb c and a fingerprint sensor. The phone is basically a fuck you to the slacker OEMs like LG/HTC.

I might actually attempt to get one over settling for the edge now tbh

But it's gonna be such a pain in the ass

Saiyan-Rox

I think grabbing an invite early shouldn't be that hard but this is OP so who knows.

trying to get an invite last year was just hectic

The invite board is full of bots posting "me" to every new thread or crying how their phone happened to just break.

Guess I can wait and see....lucky i'm off work all week I guess.

kami_sama

ZTE Axon reviews are starting to come out.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/27/zte-axon-review/

I think this is the OnePlus 2's most direct competition hardware wise, and the ZTE is close to stock.
I think only having a 32GB option with no mSD and no fingerprint scanner hurts it against the OPT, but I LOVE how it looks.

trying to get an invite last year was just hectic

The invite board is full of bots posting "me" to every new thread or crying how their phone happened to just break.

Guess I can wait and see....lucky i'm off work all week I guess.
I'm registered and for now, I don't have money to buy it. So, if you want the invite you
can have it :p

ZTE Axon reviews are starting to come out.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/27/zte-axon-review/

I think this is the OnePlus 2's most direct competition hardware wise, and the ZTE is close to stock.

it's getting good reviews but the OP2 will probably be priced better. Also not sure why the Axon is so big considering it's only 5.5 inches. Bezel central up in there. Also QHD ruins the battery of yet another phone! Or at least ruins it from being awesome. Also no fingerprint.

Huge step up for ZTE. Loving that near stock. Seems like it's getting good reviews.

Saiyan-Rox

I think only having a 32GB option with no mSD and no fingerprint scanner hurts it against the OPT, but I LOVE how it looks.

I'm registered and for now, I don't have money to buy it. So, if you want the invite you
can have it :p

lol i'm down for that i'm sure I can give you mine if I ever get one if I do get yours :p

Although that referral list is kinda a con and a spam fest. your number continues to climb the more people share their link and on top of that you only get invites that have expired.

New android boot system: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ied-boot-system-probably-coming-in-android-m/

Oh how lovely I hope this only appears the first time and not every time

kami_sama

lol i'm down for that i'm sure I can give you mine if I ever get one if I do get yours :p

Although that referral list is kinda a con and a spam fest. your number continues to climb the more people share their link and on top of that you only get invites that have expired.

New android boot system: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...ied-boot-system-probably-coming-in-android-m/

Oh how lovely I hope this only appears the first time and not every time

When I unlocked the bootloader on my Moto G, every time I started my phone, it showed a red warning sign. I fucking hated it. One of the first things I changed.
I hope we can make this warning go away.

Maiar_m

Yeah these OPO2 pics please me on the design side as well. But really, I can't do anything bigger than my N5.

The Huawei Nexus will probably the prettiest (I love their designs) but at that size... And I'm sure LG will botch the N5-2. I know they can.

Yeah these OPO2 pics please me on the design side as well. But really, I can't do anything bigger than my N5.

The Huawei Nexus will probably the prettiest (I love their designs) but at that size... And I'm sure LG will botch the N5-2. I know they can.

nexus 5-2 will be perfect. Please be excited :(

Wreav

Banned
Leaker goes on to say no fingerprint, and Moto X Sport will be 5.2''

You can also imagine no USB-C if they aren't leaking that

Talon

Oh, man. Turns out MMS is just one vector for that series of vuln. Forbes, obviously, missed this.

Wait for Ars' take on it.

More to come. :|

Toki767

If that OP2 leak is legit, it looks fine, although seemingly really long.

I just don't know what people expect phones to look like anymore.

Maiar_m

Also FHD means1080p right? At 3600mah...that would be a ridiculous battery if it's optimized well enough.

Lack of fingerprint still puts the Nexus 5-2 ahead (unless that lacks it too :/)

That, price and the fact that the sweetest specs are probably going to end up on the phablet variant of the moto X.

Furyous

Uh, guys?

https://plus.google.com/+hellomotoHK/posts/PQfYPxLm3Br

Screw the 5-2, this is the jam right here. Sounds like they're using the Z3/Z4 camera, perhaps?

iV7qiaEcRPu6v.gif

Dat Mah is amazing so I expect at least 5 hours of SOT. 5.2 inch version has to overcompensate for lack of screen size.

Top Bottom