• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I just want something that runs pure android and takes good pictures now. So it'll be nexus 6, moto pure, or whatever nexus device comes out.

i'm done with oems

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Moto and One Plus got caught by the fact that more of the shit that is normally Asia only is now World wide.

Alcatel, ASUS, and the like are bodying into the space and arguably offer better hardware at a cheaper price point.

The fact the X Play has a 615 processor is fucking insulting. So it's either going to be Moto X Style with the 808 and no fingerprint scanner or the OP2 with a finger print scanner, 810, but no NFC or microSD. Jesus shit companies are dumb...

giga

Micro USB is just fine, USB C is a nice to have but not big deal, same with fingerprint scanning really. I certainly wouldn't base my purchase on them.

Rest of the phone(s) don't sound too hot anyway though.
This is such a complacent view. If it's competing with flagships, these are necessary.

Vanillalite

The fact the X Play has a 615 processor is fucking insulting. So it's either going to be Moto X Style with the 808 and no fingerprint scanner or the OP2 with a finger print scanner, 810, but no NFC or microSD. Jesus shit companies are dumb...

615 is fine. They just can't be over priced. The Alcatel is $250 on Amazon right now with a 5.5" Screen and a 615 processor.

The Asia market is creeping westward, and once people get on board they will understand the old offerings aren't good enough anymore.

Hasney

This is such a complacent view. If it's competing with flagships, these are necessary.

Not at all. If a phone comes out with better battery life and a better screen than the competition while keeping performance aligned with the flagships, then I'll ignore the bells and whistles and go with that. I'm perfectly fine with just using the USB port for charging and smart lock via bluetooth on my watch.

615 is fine. They just can't be over priced. The Alcatel is $250 on Amazon right now with a 5.5" Screen and a 615 processor.

The Asia market is creeping westward, and once people get on board they will understand the old offerings aren't good enough anymore.

I don't know why they didn't just go for the 805 in this case, instead of the 615. Hell, my Galaxy S4 runs in a 600 and feels slow as hell.

Most people don't bother with off contract phones. If consumers get on board with changing their sims, then I could see it working.

Vanillalite

Most people don't bother with off contract phones. If consumers get on board with changing their sims, then I could see it working.

The whole Moto stick was pushing people to buy off contract though. They spent like 10 mins talking about that shit then slipped in oh you can buy from carriers too.

Plus people in this thread are talking about buying direct from Moto or OPO.

giga

Not at all. If a phone comes out with better battery life and a better screen than the competition while keeping performance aligned with the flagships, then I'll ignore the bells and whistles and go with that. I'm perfectly fine with just using the USB port for charging and smart lock via bluetooth on my watch.
i really don't consider these bells and whistles when apple has had them for two years or longer now.

kami_sama

Fuck, the moto play seems nice, but I don't know how the 615 performs. Compared to the OP2 it has NFC and mSD support and better battery, but loses the better SoC, more RAM and fingerprint sensor.

I think for now the OP2 is the better phone, but if they could add NFC, it would be the phone to buy.

Vanillalite

Fuck, the moto play seems nice, but I don't know how the 615 performs. Compared to the OP2 it has NFC and mSD support and better battery, but loses the better SoC, more RAM and fingerprint sensor.

I think for now the OP2 is the better phone, but if they could add NFC, it would be the phone to buy.

ZenFone 2

Faster chipset
4 gigs of RAM
32 gigs
$299

Hasney

i really don't consider these bells and whistles when apple has had them for two years or longer now.

And if it was important, I would have switched. I'm thinking totally from a selfish point of view here, not caring what would appeal to the market or whatever.

Guys, don't forget that we still have Nokia to save the day from Motorola's lousy announcements.

A2wkD1X.jpg

kami_sama

ZenFone 2

Faster chipset
4 gigs of RAM
32 gigs
$299

Worse battery life
Intel chip (less development)
Spotty software releases from Asus
Skinned android

I know it performs admirably at multitasking, but I want a phone that looks like standard android, and both Moto phones and OP2 do.

Wait its more expensive?

The huawei nexus is the premium nexus this year. So expect a normal price for a flagship. The one you wanna buy is the LG one.

Vanillalite

Worse battery life
Intel chip (less development)
Spotty software releases from Asus
Skinned android

I know it performs admirably at multitasking, but I want a phone that looks like standard android, and both Moto phones and OP2 do.

Do you even know wtf you are talking about? ASUS has updated the Zen FASTER than Moto has. Moto hasn't been good at updates in FOREVER.

Also the Alcatel literally has the 615 if that matters even though it doesn't and the intel chip is better. And the Alcatel is $250 on Amazon right now.

kami_sama

Do you even know wtf you are talking about? ASUS has updated the Zen FASTER than Moto has. Moto hasn't been good at updates in FOREVER.

Also the Alcatel literally has the 615 if that matters even though it doesn't and the intel chip is better. And the Alcatel is $250 on Amazon right now.

I don't know how fast asus has updated the zenphone, and I know motorola has been slaking lately, but the other issues stand.

I also don't know when did the alcatel come into play. Maybe I've skipped some posts.
Even then, I think the 64GB OPO would be a better purchase. More RAM and better processor for 50$ more.

Fatalah

Here is the page for the Moto X Play -- found it on the UK website, as the phone isn't listed in the US.

Anyway, the Moto X Pure is a fantastic package. I'm super pleased -- $399 for a phone you can take to any carrier, one SKU? With a greatly improved camera, expandable memory, pure Android, and good customer support? I'm totally in.

Hasney

At this point, either Motorola have an issue with something to do with the 360-2, or they know a software update is coming and want to show off some feature of their phone alongside that,

Oh nm the Play isn't even available in the US. What a clusterfuck.

Wow. So we have to have the Style then. Seriously, QHD and only 3000mAH battery is probably going to make it like last year's Moto X, shitty battery life.

If, and I mean IF, the thing does have a good battery life, then I'll probably buy it. I can live without fingerprint scanning, but it does have some damn nice hardware. Also hope the camera doesn't suck.

Drifters

At this point, either Motorola have an issue with something to do with the 360-2, or they know a software update is coming and want to show off some feature of their phone alongside that,

I'm guessing they will ride the 360 until M is released and the 360-2 will feature some killer feature of M.

Vanillalite

I don't know how fast asus has updated the zenphone, and I know motorola has been slaking lately, but the other issues stand.

I also don't know when did the alcatel come into play. Maybe I've skipped some posts.
Even then, I think the 64GB OPO would be a better purchase. More RAM and better processor for 50$ more.

I actually agree with your last post. I just said the same thing in the hangout.

The OPO (1st gen) is actually a better buy than most of these new phones. The problem is the OPO has that touchscreen issue + it doesn't have all the bands the OPO2 (2nd gen has).

Also we already had the talk a few days ago about updates. The problem is people are stuck in the 2013 mindset. I don't blame people. Legacy usually matters, and people like what is familiar.

There just are better options at multiple price points than what the current Moto lineup offers outside of the Moto E.

Hasney

I'm guessing they will ride the 360 until M is released and the 360-2 will feature some killer feature of M.

Well I had a look and there's a rumoured minor update in the next few weeks that will add more interactive watch faces and watch to watch messaging. Think you're right though, M has rumoured speaker support and NFC for Android Pay, so they could be features to show off at an announcement.

Vanillalite

Best cheap Android Phones are as follows in order from least to most expensive

Moto E
Asus Zenfone 2 gig
Alcatel idol 3
Asus Zenfone 4 gig
One Plus One (1st gen)*

*if you don't need the 20 band for service

It just hit me that the Moto X second gen is better than the Moto X play......wtf?

A lot of phones are better than the Play for the price point they are going for.

Best cheap Android Phones are as follows in order from least to most expensive

Moto E
Asus Zenfone 2 gig
Alcatel idol 3
Asus Zenfone 4 gig
One Plus One (1st gen)**

*if you don't need the 20 band for service
*if you don't need to touch your screen

A lot of phones are better than the Play for the price point they are going for.

fixed

It's really fun when you're trying to get a new phone and everything is just... every company just goes "Want this phone? Well how bout we take this, this and this away? Good right?"

Top Bottom