• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
3 months sucks. It's too long to wait but too soon to new phone fever.

reKon

Banned
Got 5.1.1 on my Xperia Z3C mhmm.

I just care that they continue with this consistency through the first few releases of Android M because the features on this version of Android are they main things I've been wanting to come to android (full app back ups, etc)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Play is just a weird phone all around.

They should have just given the battery to the Style, and then they should have just given the chipset to the 2 gig Moto G. Then everyone would be super happy.

Are you gonna come
get a Huawei Nexus when I get one?
If LG fails (and that is highly likely), I just might come
get one indeed.

Speaking of LG failing:

Last year, LG set a record for itself by shipping 14.5 million smartphones. A year later, citing an “extremely challenging environment”, the company is reporting a decrease in smartphone shipments and sales.

The fall off in sales is the result of a similar decrease in shipments. In Q2, LG shipped 14.1 million smartphones, which was a “modest” decrease of three per cent from last year. The company blamed “weaker demand in the premium segment in the domestic Korean market” for the drop off.

It’s not all bad news for LG, however. Revenues derived from the North America market increased by 36 per cent over the past year due to better performance from the company’s mid-range smartphones. LG also mentioned it sold a record 8.1 million LTE-enabled smartphones in the quarter.

Heading into Q3, LG says it will attempt to reclaim its power in the industry and plans to “aggressively implement its dual strategy” that will focusing on premium devices, such as the LG G4, and launch a number of mid-range smartphones targeting to emerging markets.

Seems like mid range is keeping them from doing terrible.

If LG fails (and that is highly likely), I just might come
get one indeed.

Speaking of LG failing:

Seems like mid range is keeping them from doing terrible.

Because like Samsung, I'm not seeing them doing anything interesting in the mid range.
Outside of their flagships G4 and S6 I don't even know what their lineup is.

this_guy

Because like Samsung, I'm not seeing them doing anything interesting in the mid range.
Outside of their flagships G4 and S6 I don't even know what their lineup is.

I think the more established Android manufacturers like Samsung, LG, and HTC will have to re evaluate their midrange game to compete with phones such as the Asus Zenphone 2 and Alcatel Idol 3.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
OnLeaks ‏@OnLeaks 27 seconds ago

#LG's new #NEXUS Phone form factor + main camera, flash, logo or fingerprint sensor (?) and hardware keys placement

CLGZUXkWwAA7Me6.jpg

Oh shit so the leak about dual cameras was right. Nice. Also fingerprint. Nice.

Wooowoooooooo all aboard nexus 5-2 hypetrain. Assuming that rectangle sort of thing is the fingerprint sensor it's exactly where google retrofitted the nexus 5 with one in the video demo they had showing off the feature. Or maybe the rectangle is some big flash thing and the circle below is the fingerprint and there is no dual camera.

Either way I don't care. As long as it's there.

If they really are going cheaper LG nexus and more expensive huawei nexus then it may not be 820 but I'm totes ok with 808. Anything other than SD615 lol moto.

808 is still a great SoC if you ask me. 820 Huawei definitely sounds plausible though.

$350 for 32GB and $400 for a 64GB Nexus 5-2.
A 32GB minimum Huawei for $500 and 64GB for $550 and $630 for 128GB.
Discontinue the 6.

That would be fucking boss. But we know it won't work out that way with the Huawei.

Husker86

Noooooooo, no fingerprint scanner on the back please!

Does no one else use their phone when it's sitting on their table/desk/charger?

Considering how Nexus phones now pretty much won't have face buttons, finger print on the back makes sense, but you know what, at least there may be finger print buttons. Also from the looks of it, even though it's LG, it looks like the speakers are either on the bottom or front.

I do but I'm also willing to pick it up or whatever during those moments. Small sacrifice if it means better screen to phone size ratio (slim bezels).

808 is still a great SoC if you ask me. 820 Huawei definitely sounds plausible though.

$350 for 32GB and $400 for a 64GB Nexus 5-2.
A 32GB minimum Huawei for $500 and 64GB for $550 and $630 for 128GB.
Discontinue the 6.

That would be fucking boss. But we know it won't work out that way with the Huawei.
I have a feeling the huawei phone will be 600 off contract minimum.

I do but I'm also willing to pick it up or whatever during those moments. Small sacrifice if it means better screen to phone size ratio (slim bezels).

I have a feeling the huawei phone will be 600 off contract minimum.

You think so? Even though it's Huawei and not Moto/LG/Asus/Samsung? I thought Huawei usually had good prices for their phones?

They might surprise everyone. It's hard to say. Motorola is also typically cheaper than other flagships but it didn't stop the nexus 6 from costing a ton.

Honestly, I think the new set of Moto phones is changing that and actually showing they are cheaper. The Moto X 2014 was pretty pricy for the specs even right up to this announcement. I just think the Moto X Style/Pure is way better for the money in terms of specs and money than the Moto X 2014 was.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Damn, literally the worst spot for a fingerprint scanner.

If that's what that really is, are they even trying?

I guess that if you hold it in a certain way with your right hand you could use your index finger? I dunno

Wreav

Banned
Even if it's on the back, are you saying it being there is equating to not having one?

Basically. I'm trying to get my right index finger in the same spot on my rinky-dink iPhone 6, and struggling to do it comfortably while not putting my grip on the phone at risk.

Granted, this is while pushing the iphone's home button. I assume that the LG will have a mid body power button, at which case it's much easier to place the right index finger there. It's just silly to make a user hold their phone in position A to unlock, then in position B to use.

I guess that if you hold it in certain way with your right hand you could use your index finger? I dunno

Who knows, maybe it's not a double camera on the back and the finger print reader is the same size as the camera above it, so it's along the spine of the phone.

basically. i'm trying to get my right index finger in the same spot on my rinky-dink iPhone 6, and struggling to do it comfortably while not putting my grip on the phone at risk.

Thanksfully, I'm left handed, and use it my left hand, so all the better for me :).

There has to be a flash on the back right? If it's dual camera where would the flash be? The square? Which means fingerprint might be in the front (or missing :(). Or it's not dual and the fingerprint sensor is the circle below the camera. It's honestly too hard to tell with this leak.

There has to be a flash on the back right? If it's dual camera where would the flash be? The square? Which means fingerprint might be in the front (or missing :(). Or it's not dual and the fingerprint sensor is the circle below the camera. It's honestly too hard to tell with this leak.
It could be built in to one of the square. Moto put it within the ring for the Moto X.

OK, going to say that the LG Nexus 5 probably doesn't actually exist -- at least, not the way we've imagined it.

Considering the dual camera setup, this is probably a Project Tango phone being made by LG. The one true Nexus will likely be Huawei, which is disappointing.

What say you, Pyro? Will the Huawei device have a similar dual camera setup?

OK, going to say that the LG Nexus 5 probably doesn't actually exist -- at least, not the way we've imagined it.

Considering the dual camera setup, this is probably a Project Tango phone being made by LG. The one true Nexus will likely be Huawei, which is disappointing.

What say you, Pyro? Will the Huawei device have a similar dual camera setup?
I've seen a generic spec list and it didn't mention it. Usually it mentions things that make the device stand out.

Talon

LG Mobile 2nd Q Rev. US$3.247B up 0.4% yoy, profit down 99.7% to US$172K. Unit sale down to 14.1 M from 15.4 M from 1st Q.
God damn. YOY Profit down almost 100%. Unit sale decrease during launch window. It's tough out there for Android OEMs.

Top Bottom