• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Jigolo

I'm more interested in the TVs that will be shown at IFA.

But we'll likely see the Z5 there since it's being marketed for the new 007 movie. IFA is rarely exciting for phone announcements, anyway.

I'll just be excited to see something announced this year that isn't super disappointing.

As it stands I'll be sticking with my turbo until it gets M next October.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We're about to hit two years since Apple put a fingerprint sensor on their flagship device, and this is where we're at:

Samsung S6 - Yep
LG G4 - Nope
HTC One M9 - Nope
Motorola X Style - Nope
OnePlus 2 - Yep
Samsung Note 5 - Yep
Sony James Bond 007 Xpectre 45-year-old Abs Edition - ???
Nexus - Probably?
Didn't Apple buy the best fingerprint sensor company, setting back Motorola at least and possibly several other Android OEMs?

Didn't Apple buy the best fingerprint sensor company, setting back Motorola at least and possibly several other Android OEMs?

According to reviews the One Plus 2 fingerprint sensor is even better than Apple's. Good to see they are putting NFC in that kevlar back cover also. I think that or the Moto X Style will be my next phone. If only the OP2 had the 2k screen, I'd have been all in for one of those.

NotBacon

it's a low end cpu. It'll perform adequately but noticably worse than later ones.

It seems decent. Octa core + 1.7GHz. Not to mention there's no bloatware in the way.
But I haven't been keeping up with the news. If the GPU is as bad as people are saying then that makes me sad.
But i'll still reserve judgement until I actually put it through the paces first-hand, as usual.

terrier

The Nexus 6 back dimple proves to me that the back is ideal for a fingerprint sensor. As long as you don't have to place your finger on it in an absolutely precise manner.

Huawei's ascend mate 7 already proved that fingerprint scanner in the back is very convenient, and probably the better place instead of the front (ideal would be on both sides). You obviously need to hold the phone to unlock. So for those using it from their desks wouldn't be ideal but... Just put it on a dock
Can't wait to get some hands on with the new Moto phones. Especially curious to see how that SD 615 performs.
It seems decent. Octa core + 1.7GHz. Not to mention there's no bloatware in the way.
But I haven't been keeping up with the news. If the GPU is as bad as people are saying then that makes me sad.
But i'll still reserve judgement until I actually put it through the paces first-hand, as usual.
It is average at best, well below SD 800. I would put it a bit below SD600 (that powered Galaxy S4 and HTC One M7) depending on clock frequency and closer to Nexus 4. I own an Xperia M4 Aqua that uses SD615 and 2GB ram too, clocked at 1.5Ghz a bit lower than Moto X and is okayish but won't blow your mind. It does not reach 30k on Antutu and that witha 720p screen, so performance on Moto X with a 1080p screen will be worse. PLus it heats easily, is not a mess like 810, but a bit disappointing.

MarkusRJR

Wow Motorola treats Canada like shit. No Moto Maker still, no Moto X Style/Pure, only the 8gb/1gb Moto G, and only the Moto X Play (with the only option being the 16gb model) . Not to mention the updates tend to get a 4-6 month delay even when using a factory unlocked device.

Joni

I have updated my Xperia Z to the latest version available and it seems like half a terrible decision. Lost a lot of information from my music player despite the back-up, Bluetooth car connection no longer shows the number of the song in the playlist, battery options are better, top menu is more difficult to navigate, Chrome was ruined. And I keep wondering why my phone randomly beeps when charging and how I need to turn that off.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow Motorola treats Canada like shit. No Moto Maker still, no Moto X Style/Pure, only the 8gb/1gb Moto G, and only the Moto X Play (with the only option being the 16gb model) . Not to mention the updates tend to get a 4-6 month delay even when using a factory unlocked device.

Moto treats everyone like shit. They have awful customer service.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We're about to hit two years since Apple put a fingerprint sensor on their flagship device, and this is where we're at:

Samsung S6 - Yep
LG G4 - Nope
HTC One M9 - Nope
Motorola X Style - Nope
OnePlus 2 - Yep
Samsung Note 5 - Yep
Sony James Bond 007 Xpectre 45-year-old Abs Edition - ???
Nexus - Probably?

so?

you could have posted a similar thing in the iphone threads about how long it took for apple to introduce NFC (and then only use it for payment, not anything else), or any number of technologies that debuted on android.

I don't see why fingerprints are suddenly in vogue. Yes it is a nice thing to have if implemented well, but it sometimes feels like this thread is full of 'what is the next thing we can point to as a failure of android OEMs to deliver us what we want', when actually there are lots of phones already out that are just fine

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Can't be worse than OnePlus.

That's true. Picture of One Plus owners starting to line up for launch

rmlrN6G.jpg

Saiyan-Rox

All you guys talking about jumping ship to IPhone would you not consider Windows phone instead? Tbh I would if it came down to it as windows phone 10 looks good tbh

But I've spent too much and got too used to android all my setup uses android it would be too weird to switch it up now. And I guess windows phone wouldn't work on my Chromecast either.

I honestly think windows phone sucks. App store sucks. I dislike the look and feel. Their design language isn't my thing. Don't like their ecosystem at all. Not into IE/onedrive/etc....

That entire ecosystem is a no go for me (and the majority of smartphone users it seems :p). Choosing it over iphone seems like absolute insanity to me unles you're deeply deeply deeply invested in microsoft and their ecosystem. Which you can still access most of it in iOS.

All you guys talking about jumping ship to IPhone would you not consider Windows phone instead? Tbh I would if it came down to it as windows phone 10 looks good tbh

But I've spent too much and got too used to android all my setup uses android it would be too weird to switch it up now. And I guess windows phone wouldn't work on my Chromecast either.

If the apps and quality of apps were there, I'm sure it would be an option for more people (not necessarily in this thread, but in general). As it is right now, it's hard to recommend, if people want to do more than just basic things on their phones. The new rumored flagship phones do sound nice, but I don't think it's going to change much. Personally, I'd still prefer it over an iPhone.

Maiar_m

No, it's your empty checking account.
A cock size contest! Yay!

I honestly think windows phone sucks. App store sucks. I dislike the look and feel. Their design language isn't my thing. Don't like their ecosystem at all. Not into IE/onedrive/etc....

That entire ecosystem is a no go for me (and the majority of smartphone users it seems :p). Choosing it over iphone seems like absolute insanity to me unles you're deeply deeply deeply invested in microsoft and their ecosystem. Which you can still access most of it in iOS.

Well, I thought exactly like you until my mom and my grandfather each got a windows phone, and...I kinda like how their design language works on the OS level. It feels much more original than Android or iOS. There is simplicity but with a lot of modernity as well.

That being said, the ecosystem itself is indeed more than poor (poor people joke lol). It works for my mom for instance because all she does with the internet is get her (@live.com) emails and has zero interest in doing more.

Saiyan-Rox

If the apps and quality of apps were there, I'm sure it would be an option for more people (not necessarily in this thread, but in general). As it is right now, it's hard to recommend, if people want to do more than just basic things on their phones. The new rumored flagship phones do sound nice, but I don't think it's going to change much. Personally, I'd still prefer it over an iPhone.

I hear about the lack of apps a lot on the platform but didn't MS say they were sorting that in regards to android apps or something? I hate Apple with a passion which is why I'd least likely go that route

EDIT: You guys see what one plus want you to do for a contest https://oneplus.net/wwydft2

Those are laughable and they want you to share what you did like crazy talk about the company of badgering people.

I hear about the lack of apps a lot on the platform but didn't MS say they were sorting that in regards to android apps or something? I hate Apple with a passion which is why I'd least likely go that route

EDIT: You guys see what one plus want you to do for a contest https://oneplus.net/wwydft2

Those are laughable and they want you to share what you did like crazy talk about the company of badgering people.
wtf lol some of those are terrible like interrupting a live event with OP2 merchandise on. Also who is going to take the effort to start a flash mob of at least 50 people.

Fantasy:
"I will organise a flashmob where we'll all dance to Uptown Funk with altered OnePlus themed lyrics"

Reality:
"I'll pretend to be a hot girl and spam the forums begging for an invite"

Admodieus

IIRC Windows 10 Mobile was going to start borrowing a lot more from Android design concepts, like the hamburger menu. This has Windows Phone purists in an uproar, but should be more acceptable to people trying to switch from iOS/Android.

If people are looking to switch from Android to iOS though, it's because they're looking for more features in a hardware package that has a consistent release schedule and support. Neither of those things apply to Windows Phone, where the flagship options have been few and far between for the last year or two (I think Thurrott pointed out on Windows Weekly it's been like two years since a true flagship on Verizon).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I was THE Windows Phone guy at the WP launch. I even did a couple YouTube videos for GAF showing off my Samsung Focus.

They'd have to pay me to ever go back.

Saiyan-Rox

I was THE Windows Phone guy at the WP launch. I even did a couple YouTube videos for GAF showing off my Samsung Focus.

They'd have to pay me to ever go back.

Its sure to have gotten better since then?? But I agree its not for everyone and it does seem a little lost as a platform too.

Vanillalite

Software with a security vulnerability?? You don't say. /s

Shit happens. Then it gets fixed pretty soon if it's a large enough vulnerability. Well, at least if you're in the #nexusmasterrace

Google has known about it since May. This isn't even remotely "soon" or speedy even for the Nexus devices. Waiting months isn't exactly baller in terms of security fixes.

Sony turned a profit of 780 million but it wasn't because of smartphones lol:

The image sensor division recorded income of $249 million, an increase of 164 percent, with the games division witnessing an increase of 350 percent to $160 million. Sony's music unit also saw a healthy growth of 172 percent, recording an income of $260 million.

Meanwhile, the mobile unit saw an operating loss of $188 million as sales declined by 16.3 percent from the same time a year ago. Sony attributed the decrease to the reorganization of the mobile unit and a "strategic decision not to pursue scale in order to improve profitability." Full-year operating loss for the mobile unit is now predicted to be $480 million.

Sony has announced that it will focus on the high-end segment, with new flagship phones rumored to launch later this year.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
According to reviews the One Plus 2 fingerprint sensor is even better than Apple's. Good to see they are putting NFC in that kevlar back cover also. I think that or the Moto X Style will be my next phone. If only the OP2 had the 2k screen, I'd have been all in for one of those.
Yeah I am just saying that the reason that Android manufacturers are lagging behind is because the company they planned to use and were working with got bought out by Apple which basically set them back to square one having to make new partnerships or develop in house.

scarlet

Using Samsung S4 and lollipop.

Why do each time I update my apps they keep moving from SD card to internal memory? It's tiring that I have to move them manually to SD card and then they're back again each time I update it.

Vanillalite

Every major Android OEM that plays towards the West is tanking. Only the people in Asia competiting on price are making $$$.

Wreav

Banned
I don't see why fingerprints are suddenly in vogue.

Because Apple has shown how a well done biometric system can work in every day practice, and their shit worked well from day 1 two years ago.

The only Android to get fingerprint reading right so far is the S6 (and even that's debatable for me with their asinine passphase requirement), which means the ecosystem has no reason to fully get behind it. The more phones that support fingerprint reading, and well, the better the whole app ecosystem gets.

Mindwipe

Google has known about it since May. This isn't even remotely "soon" or speedy even for the Nexus devices. Waiting months isn't exactly baller in terms of security fixes.

Yup.

Google dropped the ball for Nexus devices. Just that for Nexus devices it at least knows where the ball *is*.

The apps still aren't there.

Dude, you look like every other guy in my engineering classes.

CLKTlmtUkAAuRuR.jpg

I still don't know what to make of this. It really feels like a Project Tango phone, if those two holes are cameras. Even if it is a dumb placement, I would prefer it being a fingerprint sensor than another dumb dual camera gimmick.

Top Bottom