• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Furyous

Or you could just get a phone that isn't shitty.

No one has EXACTLY what I want:

microsd support
near stock android
non shitty camera, image processing
IR blaster
4.7 to 5.2 inches

The Moto X 2014 is perfect minus the shitty battery, camera, and lack of microsd. I want one now but refuse to use a device with a shitty camera. *draws line in the sand like gamers did for the initial Xbox One reveal*

The OP2 is close to perfect minus NFC, screen size, and microsd support.

Other than that every 2015 flagship has a glaring flaw that turns me off. I'm on the iphone 5 three years of excellent life plan so none of these POS stop gap smartphones are good enough for my demanding ass.

vivftp

Huh what's the specs suppose to be like?

Here's the Google translation of the specs from that link I posted:

Xperia M5-'s technical features:
5 inch screen with a resolution of 1080p.
21.5-megapixel main camera sensor for IMX230-, 192 pazovano autofocus, F2.2 aperture, 0.2-second quick-focus, 4K video capture lossless HDR mode and 5x zoom.
13-megapixel front camera IMX214- sensor.
3 GB of RAM and 16 megabytes of storage memory, it is possible to increase the memory of 128 gigabytes.
HELIO X10 2 GHz frequency mediatekis 8-core processor.
2600 miliamperiani battery.
Certificate IP68 for water and dust resistant.
Two-string option.
7.6 mm thickness of the smartphone.

Xperia C5 Ultra-'s technical features:
6 inch screen with a resolution of 1080p.
13-megapixel main camera and front IMX214- sensor.
2 GB of RAM and 16 megabytes of storage memory, it is possible to increase the memory of 128 gigabytes.
MT6752 1.7 GHz frequency mediatekis 8-core processor.
2930 miliamperiani battery.

The translation seems to be off a bit of course... I think it means 16 gigabytes of storage memory :)

Jigolo

I'm pretty excited to see what the Z5 looks like now. If it looks like the Z1 again, the Sony mobile division is dead

microsd support
near stock android
IR blaster
4.7 to 5.2 inches

The Moto X 2014 is perfect minus the shitty battery, camera, and lack of microsd. I want one now but refuse to use a device with a shitty camera. *draws line in the sand like gamers did for the initial Xbox One reveal*

Other than that every 2015 flagship has a glaring flaw that turns me off. I'm on the iphone 5 three years of excellent life plan so none of these POS stop gap smartphones are good enough for my demanding ass.

Moto x play doesn't have an IR blaster, but has the footprint of LG G3 screen to body ratio (76%) at 5.8 x 2.9 x 0.43 dimensions. It should be slightly bigger than an LG G2 which had a 5.2 inch screen

I'm pretty excited to see what the Z5 looks like now. If it looks like the Z1 again, the Sony mobile division is dead
I'm pretty sure the Z5 will still have the same design language as the original Z. I don't think they redesign anything until next year (if they're still making smartphones then) but yeah it's pretty disappointing.

microsd support
near stock android
IR blaster
4.7 to 5.2 inches

the G4 is the closest.

Saiyan-Rox

Here's the Google translation of the specs from that link I posted:

Xperia M5-'s technical features:
5 inch screen with a resolution of 1080p.
21.5-megapixel main camera sensor for IMX230-, 192 pazovano autofocus, F2.2 aperture, 0.2-second quick-focus, 4K video capture lossless HDR mode and 5x zoom.
13-megapixel front camera IMX214- sensor.
3 GB of RAM and 16 megabytes of storage memory, it is possible to increase the memory of 128 gigabytes.
HELIO X10 2 GHz frequency mediatekis 8-core processor.
2600 miliamperiani battery.
Certificate IP68 for water and dust resistant.
Two-string option.
7.6 mm thickness of the smartphone.

Xperia C5 Ultra-'s technical features:
6 inch screen with a resolution of 1080p.
13-megapixel main camera and front IMX214- sensor.
2 GB of RAM and 16 megabytes of storage memory, it is possible to increase the memory of 128 gigabytes.
MT6752 1.7 GHz frequency mediatekis 8-core processor.
2930 miliamperiani battery.

The translation seems to be off a bit of course... I think it means 16 gigabytes of storage memory :)

Ah thanks for that!

DOn't think i'll be bothering then. The Z Ultra was a great wee phone (I say wee) another one that size with up to date specs would be nice to see.

vivftp

Ah thanks for that!

DOn't think i'll be bothering then. The Z Ultra was a great wee phone (I say wee) another one that size with up to date specs would be nice to see.

The recent rumours of a phone codenamed S70+ are hopefully the new Z Ultra phone. I've been waiting 2 years for a new one and will be sorely saddened if it isn't a reality

Furyous

Where do these devices fit in Sony's strategy for this year?

UPDATE: I signed up two email addresses that I own and went from 589,976 to 24,006 in less than 30 minutes. Wish me luck as I grind for the number one spot. This invite list is fuckery personified BUT I WANT ONE.

The OG One Plus is the best version because it supports Android Pay.

*EDIT*

Now at 13,940.

vivftp

UPDATE: I signed up two email addresses that I own and went from 589,976 to 24,006 in less than 30 minutes. Wish me luck as I grind for the number one spot. This invite list is fuckery personified BUT I WANT ONE.

I'm no authority on the matter, but I'd say they appear to be upper mid range devices. Plus it's entirely likely that they are meant for certain regions.

Anyways, with the recent reports saying the Xperia Z3+ and Z4 tablet won't be coming to Canada, it does have me just the slightest bit worried that a new Z Ultra phone might not come here either. Anyways, just a bit more than a month until IFA!

I am a bit curious wtf Sony is going to be unveiling on Monday though. The hints they've been dropping so far indicate it's a gold colour something.

Saiyan-Rox

*EDIT*

Now at 13,940.

i'm 5,745 atm up from 2,000 something a day or so ago

*EDIT*

Now at 13,940.

loooool

That can't be right....the G2 isn't big at all. It'll probably be slightly bigger than the G4
yeah the G2 was tiny as fuck for its size.

Moto X Style: 153.9 x 76.2 x 11.06
LG G2: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9

G2 is way smaller. G4 for reference is also quite a bit smaller than the Style when it comes to height and thickness: 148.9 x 76.1 x 9.8

X style would be a really impressive size if they went 5.5 or kept it at 5.2.

mturco

:( the Moto X 2014 battery is trash. Moto please.
No, it was horrible.

Having owned a N5 for 1.5 years before buying a Moto X 2014 a month and a half ago, I disagree with both of these statements. The X 2014 battery lasts me way longer than the N5 did and I've been pleasantly surprised in general. When I get home from work I usually have 60-65% left where my N5 would usually be at 40-50%.

And as for the camera, the N5's camera is so much better than the X's it's sad. Like an order of magnitude better. I actually think the N5's camera was and is pretty good and certainly not horrible.

this_guy

Having owned a N5 for 1.5 years before buying a Moto X 2014 a month and a half ago, I disagree with both of these statements. The X 2014 battery lasts me way longer than the N5 did and I've been pleasantly surprised in general. When I get home from work I usually have 60-65% left where my N5 would usually be at 40-50%.

And as for the camera, the N5's camera is so much better than the X's it's sad. Like an order of magnitude better. I actually think the N5's camera was and is pretty good and certainly not horrible.

Both of those phones have bad cameras and have bad battery life. They aren't equally bad in both categories, so if you compare one to the other in either category there has to be a loser.

mturco

Both of those phones have bad cameras and have bad battery life. They aren't equally bad in both categories, so if you compare one to the other in either category there has to be a loser.

Bad compared to what? I would argue the N5's camera and Moto X's battery life are both at least on par with most flagships of their generation.

this_guy

Bad compared to what? I would argue the N5's camera and Moto X's battery life are both at least on par with most flagships of their generation.

Galaxy 5 - better battery and camera than both Nexus and Motorola X.
LG G2 and G3 - better battery and camera than Nexus and Motorola X (G2 had the best battery I've used)
HTC One M7 and M8 - better battery life than both, and comparable camera even though the ultrapixel camera was pretty bad.

Currently using a 2014 Motorola X, previous phones in order were G3, iPhone 5s, G2, Nexus 5.

Motorola X battery life for me is similar to the Galaxy S3 back in the day, both give me roughly 2.5 hours of screen on time. The Nexus 5 camera was really bad at focusing.

The N5 camera is a hell of a lot better than the LG G2. Unless my wife has a faulty model, the camera on the g2 is awful.

(Admittedly, I only used my N5 on HDR mode. Anything else was just junk)

Although for battery life the G2 is a beast. My OPO was great in Kit Kat, but since the lollipop update it's gone to bell. Meanwhile, the G2 still rocks the casbah.

this_guy

The N5 camera is a hell of a lot better than the LG G2. Unless my wife has a faulty model, the camera on the g2 is awful.

The G2 camera for me was fine but nothing spectacular. The Nexus was capable of taking decent shots, but majority of the time couldn't properly focus. Motorola X camera is just bad in my opinion. (Coming previously from a G3 and iPhone 5s probably makes it more apparent). I barely take any pics now with the Motorola X, where with the G3 I took a decent amount.

Although for battery life the G2 is a beast. My OPO was great in Kit Kat, but since the lollipop update it's gone to bell. Meanwhile, the G2 still rocks the casbah.

I kinda liked the G2's camera, I don't think it was that bad.

Couldn't focus for hell though

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hurry up, Huawei Nexus. I needs it :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Eh, Alrighty then. At the very least they may have my holy Trinity of features I need to buy a new phone. NFC, USB-C, and fingerprint scanner.
If it doesn't have that, it's dead to me.

Huawei nexus will be fine. I may know more about it within a week or two. Maybe not. We are in august though so hopefully everything leaks within a couple weeks anyway.

I guess this Nvidia stuff has to do with their software version 3.0 (included Android 5.1.0) destroying many tablets' speakers and running very hot. The tablets had no issues before that update and mine was working fine - they had pulled the update so I couldn't get to it.

Bad software actually destroying hardware. Hard to imagine that happening.

I guess this Nvidia stuff has to do with their software version 3.0 (included Android 5.1.0) destroying many tablets' speakers and running very hot. The tablets had no issues before that update and mine was working fine - they had pulled the update so I couldn't get to it.

Bad software actually destroying hardware. Hard to imagine that happening.

Are you sending it in?

mturco

Galaxy 5 - better battery and camera than both Nexus and Motorola X.
LG G2 and G3 - better battery and camera than Nexus and Motorola X (G2 had the best battery I've used)
HTC One M7 and M8 - better battery life than both, and comparable camera even though the ultrapixel camera was pretty bad.

Currently using a 2014 Motorola X, previous phones in order were G3, iPhone 5s, G2, Nexus 5.

Motorola X battery life for me is similar to the Galaxy S3 back in the day, both give me roughly 2.5 hours of screen on time. The Nexus 5 camera was really bad at focusing.

Half the phones you're comparing it to were a gen newer than the N5 (S5, G3, M8). In any case, I'm getting much better battery life than you seem to be on my Moto X. Easily 3-3.5 hours of screen time. Never had it die on me (or come close even) yet. Ultimately my point is: neither are as bad as you're making them out to be.

Half the phones you're comparing it to were a gen newer than the N5 (S5, G3, M8). In any case, I'm getting much better battery life than you seem to be on my Moto X. Easily 3-3.5 hours of screen time. Never had it die on me (or come close even) yet. Ultimately my point is: neither are as bad as you're making them out to be.

How new is your Moto X? Batteries wear over time after all

Jigolo

CLSQ1NcWwAAQmok.png

Top Bottom