• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Those phones are gonna bomb hard in canada. The prices are insanity lol. I wonder what american pricing will be. I'm talking ~400 - ~500 on contract between the two.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone who buys a One Minus Two should be forced to wear some kind of Scarlet Letter. Shame on them.

Anyone who buys a One Minus Two should be forced to wear some kind of Scarlet Letter. Shame on them.

I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

thumbnail_0.png

True and it's quite new (1.5 months). They don't degrade by a third in 9 months though.

That's true, might be some hyperbole in their statements, but it is pretty bad.

For the same price you get a sweet Moto. Better customer support and the second best phone company right now giving you the goods.

No the One Plus 2 with 16gb of storage is $329. You are paying $70 more for the Motorola and losing the fingerprint scanner, ram, and optical image stabilization and laser focusing on the camera. The Moto X is a great value though at $399.

Apparently it had some drift issues on the Nexus 6 so Moto decided to keep it out of the latest X'.

The current implementation also leave a lot to be desired compared to stand alone cameras'. The phones have tons of sudden movements while even quite old cameras just show damped motion. A better implementation probably takes too much space.

iPhones use EIS in video (even the 6 Plus) which is much smoother, but crops the video a little bit and can't do much with photos.

Would I really miss it if I moved on from my LG G3?

Reckoner

I don't know. Their executives may talk a lot on Twitter, but I very rarely have heard good things relating to Motorola's customer service.

From what I read around reddit and such, they are usually great and they always have someone around there seeing how satisfied people are and looking to improve their service.

Soodanim

I'm getting tired of Google Play Music closing on me while I browse GAF or even do things like rotate the screen on my Z3C (latest updates as far as I know), from what I assume is a memory related problem. Google brings up results about a memory leak in Lollipop that goes back to before its release, so I don't have much hope.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I'd switch to Spotify if it meant the app not closing on me, but if it's OS related it seems futile.

No the One Plus 2 with 16gb of storage is $329. You are paying $70 more for the Motorola and losing the fingerprint scanner, ram, and optical image stabilization and laser focusing on the camera. The Moto X is a great value though at $399.

You know what else is treat value?

Being able to buy the phone.

Sch1sm

This is probably true. It was definitely better at the time of its release than the 2 will be when it comes out. I blame Qualcomm for releasing horrible processors this year.

I dunno if we can only blame Qualcomm. I know you're our resident 1+ lover here, but there are mistakes on their part.

Are you sending it in?

Yes. I heard about the OTA 3.0 problems and was happy I didn't have to deal with that clusterfuck. But I want the latest Android without having my device melt on me.

I had to upgrade to 3.1 to even start the recall, now I don't know if I want to use the thing. Haha.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You can't blame the 810. You blame the manufacturer that decided to source that processor.

asdad123

What's the best android tablet available at best buy? I'm looking for a new tablet for a family member and have a gift card to there.

kinggroin

Banned
Having owned a N5 for 1.5 years before buying a Moto X 2014 a month and a half ago, I disagree with both of these statements. The X 2014 battery lasts me way longer than the N5 did and I've been pleasantly surprised in general. When I get home from work I usually have 60-65% left where my N5 would usually be at 40-50%.

And as for the camera, the N5's camera is so much better than the X's it's sad. Like an order of magnitude better. I actually think the N5's camera was and is pretty good and certainly not horrible.

The N5 camera was descent for its time (still capture results were very nice). Better than anything Samsung put out of the same year. I think Google not keeping HDR+ on by default is a mistake.

Also, the software is slow and bare bones.

Saiyan-Rox

NO, tell your "friend" to sign up "other friends with different email addresses" around the world like the rest of us. I went from around 589,000 to under 20,000 with three email addresses.

Tell him to use the invite bug:
The trick is that you can sign yourself up any number of times by placing '.' (the character dot) anywhere in your gmail id.

apparently they'll be searching the database for multiple emails like that and removing them

reKon

Banned
Looking for under $400ish.

probably the dell venue 7840

if you can wait a few weeks they might have the higher end Zenpad 8 selling for $300.

EDIT: oh yeah! forgot about the Nexus 9 of course. Not sure if they 32 GB is selling at $400 yet, but it is on Amazon... if we start seeing sales on it cutting it down to $350 then it's another good option.

I hate to even talk about iPad's since half of thread has Apple's cock in its mouth half of the time, but I would make sure that your family member specifically doesn't want an iPad for a reasons. Once the new one come out, the iPad Mini 2 could be good buy depending on this price. iPad Air 2 would be main thing to look for but I'm not to sure if your family member would be satisfied with only 16 GB of storage. I've seen those models for sale at best buy for $400 before.

The main reason I'd consider that you would look into the iPads has nothing to with app/ecosystem. I hear this being brought and unhealthy amount of times for why iPads are better than android/windows tablets, even those most people use their tablets for watching video, reading, and browsing the web. I think the combination of build quality + battery life + performance + now recently, the multi window support in iOS9 makes it a smart purchase depending on the price.

VoxPop

How are those mediatek chips? I feel like a lot of manufacturers have slowly made the transition. Exynos is obviously the top dog but the mediatek ones have to be atleast better than the snapdragon shit show, right?

How are those mediatek chips? I feel like a lot of manufacturers have slowly made the transition. Exynos is obviously the top dog but the mediatek ones have to be atleast better than the snapdragon shit show, right?
the helio x20 has 10 cores. 10.

I should be clear that it doesn't support LPDDR4 ram and is still 20nm.

In the end the 820 will be the good shit next year barring something unforeseen.

Volotaire

I want to buy some NFC tags so I can customize settings with a swipe when leaving /arriving home. But first, I'll have to get a NFC sim card get the Moto G has no NFC.

Maiar_m

What's the best android tablet available at best buy? I'm looking for a new tablet for a family member and have a gift card to there.

Xperia Z3 Compact if the relatively small screen size is inconsequential to them. It's a fantastic device. I used to have a Nvidia Shield Tablet and I'm very glad I made the switch (I don't mind non-stock android on my tablet).

Top Bottom