• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Nexus 6 has been having pretty good battery in the past week or two. No idea why.

Kevyt

Am I the only one that's experiencing insane memory usage?

I'm using an Asus Zenfone 2 with Android 5.0 and 3.0-3.5 gigs of memory are always at use even when I have opened very few apps.

If this is a lollipop issue then I wonder how phones with 3 gigs of ram and less must be faring.

Some serious memory leakage going on...

Am I the only one that's experiencing insane memory usage?

I'm using an Asus Zenfone 2 with Android 5.0 and 3.0-3.5 gigs of memory are always at use even when I have opened very few apps.

If this is a lollipop issue then I wonder how phones with 3 gigs of ram and less must be faring.

Some serious memory leakage going on...

The leak is real. Has the zenfone not gotten an update yet? Also disable some of that bloatware.

Hattori

Banned
USA TODAY: Any plans for another phone this year?

Carl Pei: There's going to be a second phone this year, before the end of the year. Hopefully for Christmas.

It may or may not be (higher spec'd than the OnePlus 2). When I saw the prototype for that phone I was like 'holy shit that's going to be my daily driver' but then when the OnePlus 2 production version came out it's also super nice, so its really hard to decide now what to use.

It's going to be amazing, but today I'm not going to talk about it.
lol OP2 DoA

Hasney

Oh man, if they try jamming that 810 into an even smaller form factor... Hoooboy.

we'll see. Couple of phones rumoured for late in the year like the HTC one supposedly will have it.

There was a lot of talk about the Xperia Z5 packing it as well. We'll probably have to wait until IFA for any confirmation about any phone having it.

Evleaks is the only reliable place saying the huawei nexus will have the 820. I believe the HTC Aero or whatever was rumoured to have it as well. There was another phone I'm not able to remember. Guess we'll see.

Furyous

HTC will release 2 flagships this year?

http://www.htc.com/sea/smartphones/htc-one-m9-plus/

---

You mean to tell me all the hard work I've done to game the system and move up to the 12,000th in line for a OP2 is for naught? My work is worthless? One Plus two needs to release this better device now rather than wait for later. Give us the option at checkout for a smaller version, allow us to pay for it, and ship it when it's ready.

Saiyan-Rox

http://www.htc.com/sea/smartphones/htc-one-m9-plus/

---

You mean to tell me all the hard work I've done to game the system and move up to the 12,000th in line for a OP2 is for naught? My work is worthless? One Plus two needs to release this better device now rather than wait for later. Give us the option at checkout for a smaller version, allow us to pay for it, and ship it when it's ready.

Tbh that list kinda sucks anyway because its for invites that go unused not when you'll get one as they go out.

That list in general is this in a nutshell https://youtu.be/aPwGvzhUkB0

this_guy

All of these memory/multitasking issues with the Nexus 9 - had this been a Samsung device all the stock Android lovers would be blaming Touchwiz.

Saiyan-Rox

Well you would have to imagine alot go unused so it isn't bad to be on there if you have a good spot.

i'd imagine a lot around this time especially if the person couldn't use it would just sell it.

if OP do launch another phone that's better than the OP2 they're gonna piss a lot of people off.

JUST. MAKE. THE. GODDAMN. RENDER. WITH. AN. 820.
dlL5QPz.jpg

gnHKEqE.jpg

only if

i'd imagine a lot around this time especially if the person couldn't use it would just sell it.

if OP do launch another phone that's better than the OP2 they're gonna piss a lot of people off.

Well you have to think some invites will never be seen in 24 hrs and will expire. If they release a smaller phone late this year and a better processor is out, why not use it? Supposedly there will be a new way to get invites next week.

Saiyan-Rox

Well you have to think some invites will never be seen in 24 hrs and will expire. If they release a smaller phone late this year and a better processor is out, why not use it? Supposedly there will be a new way to get invites next week.

There's no indication that the next phone will be smaller though if it's the same size and different processor there will be a shit storm.

And yeah I saw on their twitter but knowing me i'll be at work when it goes up -_-

EDIT: Man renders always look better than what the companies manage to design.

there's a lot more stupid renders that make no sense than good renders though lol

Also I do think the next OP phone this year will be the small one as well. And they'll gimp it somehow because it's small. But wouldn't it be funny if it was better in all ways and smaller?

There's no indication that the next phone will be smaller though if it's the same size and different processor there will be a shit storm.

And yeah I saw on their twitter but knowing me i'll be at work when it goes up -_-

That's because renders don't actually have to worry about pesky things like internals and heat.

Volotaire

I've been researching into Nokia feature phones ('dumbphones') for a elder relative and it seems all the recent Nokia 3 number series 'dumb phones' have been problematic on battery life (against the 4 number series up to 2010 and their claims). A shame. I won't be purchasing those older phones on eBay too because of diminished battery charge capacity. Purchasing a battery for these also seems problematic because the Amazon batteries for these phones all seem to be reused old batteries repackaged.

I'm impressed by the Wikipedia editors who have listed virtually all of the phones they have ever released. It has been extremely useful, especially when you have to rely on customer reviews.

I've been researching into Nokia feature phones ('dumbphones') for a elder relative and it seems all the recent Nokia 3 number series 'dumb phones' have been problematic on battery life (against the 4 number series up to 2010 and their claims). A shame. I won't be purchasing those older phones on eBay too because of diminished battery charge capacity.

I'm impressed by the Wikipedia editors who have listed virtually all of the phones they have ever released. It has been extremely useful, especially when you have to rely on customer reviews.
best phones for elderly folks who want a dumb phone is to get them a Doro phone.

Volotaire

best phones for elderly folks who want a dumb phone is to get them a Doro phone.

Oh, these seem great. I've never heard of them before. Unfortunately, I'm looking at candybar phones and smartish black looking phones exclusively (I know, very pedantic haha). I have the Nokia 225 in sights.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All of these memory/multitasking issues with the Nexus 9 - had this been a Samsung device all the stock Android lovers would be blaming Touchwiz.
I don't think anyone has given the Nexus 9 a pass. We all hate it just like we hate Samsung devices.

this_guy

I don't think anyone has given the Nexus 9 a pass. We all hate it just like we hate Samsung devices.

Nexus 9 runs stock Android. Stock Android. Stock.

Just pointing out that stock is over rated. I'd prefer stock over manufacturer skins but some people act like it's infallible

Hasney

Just pointing out that stock is over rated. I'd prefer stock over manufacturer skins but some people act like it's infallible

I don;t understand what you're talking about. We all gave shit to Android 5.0 no matter what version too. You've just kind of come in here and went "LOL BUT TOUCHWIZ" when we all know that the Nexus 9 has been bad and 5.0 was hell no matter the device.

I don't know who has claimed it's infallible, but even if that were the case, sticking your own skin over the top of something is never going to help memory problems now is it?

Reckoner

I actually prefer Moto close to stock 'cause I believe they make some kind of background optimizations. At least that's something I believe in, but maybe I'm wrong.

this_guy

I actually prefer Moto close to stock 'cause I believe they make some kind of background optimizations. At least that's something I believe in, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think there's any truth to that. My Moto X battery life drains faster in standby mode compared to previous phones I've owned. It improved after updating to Android 5.1, but it's still behind. When I was on Android 5.0 and kit kat on the Moto X I would lose 18%-20% when I went to sleep over night (5.0 also rebooted more than any other phone I've had).

I also have issues with the X closing out my Vudu app when im using chrome cast. Sometimes I'm streaming a movie and I can't pause it because the phone no longer has the controls for Chromecast and has closed it out (but the movie is still playing). Sometimes closing and reopening the Vudu app will restore the Chromecast connection and controls, sometimes I have to reboot the phone.

Real talk, the leak seems like it doesn't affect my Turbo, the wait for L was worth it.

I don't think there's any truth to that. My Moto X battery life drains faster in standby mode compared to previous phones I've owned. It improved after updating to Android 5.1, but it's still behind. When I was on Android 5.0 and kit kat on the Moto X I would lose 18%-20% when I went to sleep over night (5.0 also rebooted more than any other phone I've had).

I also have issues with the X closing out my Vudu app when im using chrome cast. Sometimes I'm streaming a movie and I can't pause it because the phone no longer has the controls for Chromecast and has closed it out (but the movie is still playing). Sometimes closing and reopening the Vudu app will restore the Chromecast connection and controls, sometimes I have to reboot the phone.

Hey, the X has a tiny ass battery after all.

Still not sure what I'm replacing my Nexus 6 with this year. I'm hoping the new Nexus phones are decent in the camera/battery department. But, regardless, the Nexus 6 has to fucking go. It's such a turd of a phone, unless M fixes the horrible performance.

Top Bottom