• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Ty4on

Hey, the X has a tiny ass battery after all.
This has been a big problem with Android lately. Fix the power consumption? Nah, let's just make it bigger and put an even bigger battery in it.

Delete all the apps you're not using and possibly factory reset. It's the constant updating of apps and their notifications which kills it. On holiday with no data connection the power consumption on my phone went down to almost nothing.

Saiyan-Rox

Still not sure what I'm replacing my Nexus 6 with this year. I'm hoping the new Nexus phones are decent in the camera/battery department. But, regardless, the Nexus 6 has to fucking go. It's such a turd of a phone, unless M fixes the horrible performance.

Wait the N6 has horrible performance? mine is perfectly fine in that department :S only issue I have is with the speakers.

TTOOLL

This has been a big problem with Android lately. Fix the power consumption? Nah, let's just make it bigger and put an even bigger battery in it.

Delete all the apps you're not using and possibly factory reset. It's the constant updating of apps and their notifications which kills it. On holiday with no data connection the power consumption on my phone went down to almost nothing.

This situation has been making me crazy lately. First I had to disable Google Now because the battery drain was not worthy. I decided to try smartlock this week just to see "google play services" destroying my battery life. I can't take this shit anymore. I have a Moto X 2014 btw.

I totally see your point here. But I'm not sure how they could fix the current problems.

Kevyt

The leak is real. Has the zenfone not gotten an update yet? Also disable some of that bloatware.

Nope. Still 5.0 sadly.

Speaking about phones, I love the Zenfone 2. I love that the Intel inside logo shows up on the boot screen.

This phone feels pc like, even though it's an Android and not a Windows phone.

I'm definitely rooting for Intel. They have a chance to upset the SoC market.

Team Intel ftw!!!

Nope. Still 5.0 sadly.

Speaking about phones, I love the Zenfone 2. I love that the Intel inside logo shows up on the boot screen.

This phone feels pc like, even though it's an Android and not a Windows phone.

I'm definitely rooting for Intel. They have a chance to upset the SoC market.

Team Intel ftw!!!

Never used the phone, but I'll take your word for it. Sense everyone else shit the bed mo reason not to root for them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I could keep my Nexus 6 another year but let's be honest, I say it every year but never follow through. Plus, I think my N6's camera is borked. It freezes and crashes when I use it to take like three pictures in a row.

I'll get the new N6 then warranty the N6.

I could keep my Nexus 6 another year but let's be honest, I say it every year but never follow through. Plus, I think my N6's camera is borked. It freezes and crashes when I use it to take like three pictures in a row.

Why two big phones? Get the new nexus 5-2 instead.

This is the man that talks shit about One Plus quality.

The One Plus One or the One Plus 2? If you meant the One Plus 2 it has a better battery, better camera, fingerprint reader, and a 64 bit processor.

I meant One, like I said, of course a phone released a year later will be better. It makes much more sense to compare the Nexus 6 to the Oneplus One.

Nexus 6 came out 7 months after the One Plus One...

While true, it just seems toake more sense to put phones with the year they released. As it stands we'll get two nexus' in 3 months that will be better than the Oneplus 2 in every way with the only possible downside being the camera.

Also the battery and performance have yet to be tested on the 2. For all we know the 810 heating problems will come back to bite them in the ass over time. The Nexus 6 was great when it released, the Oneplus 2 is massively disappointing and it isn't even out yet.

Quasar

Well with the radio situation on the 1+2 and missing thins on both it and the new motorola phones I'm back waiting on a new nexus.

Hopefully my N4 hangs on a bit longer.

While true, it just seems toake more sense to put phones with the year they released. As it stands we'll get two nexus' in 3 months that will be better than the Oneplus 2 in every way with the only possible downside being the camera.

Also the battery and performance have yet to be tested on the 2. For all we know the 810 heating problems will come back to bite them in the ass over time. The Nexus 6 was great when it released, the Oneplus 2 is massively disappointing and it isn't even out yet.

Nexus 6 isn't something I would consider great when it was released and you can go back and read or watch reviews that were mostly leaning towards disappointing, including the poor battery life and camera. Battery and performance have been tested in some One Plus 2 impressions, namely MKBHD's if you watch his review. He also goes into the heating issue and tests it. It is a few degrees higher than a S6. I don't see how you could call it massively disappointing at this point for the price point it is launching at. It seems to be a solid device by all impressions. There is no Android device that hits it out of the park in all ways this year so far.

Nexus 6 isn't something I would consider great when it was released and you can go back and read or watch reviews that were mostly leaning towards disappointing, including the poor battery life and camera. Battery and performance have been tested in some One Plus 2 impressions, namely MKBHD's if you watch his review. He also goes into the heating issue and tests it. It is a few degrees higher than a S6. I don't see how you could call it massively disappointing at this point for the price point it is launching at. It seems to be a solid device by all impressions. There is no Android device that hits it out of the park in all ways this year so far.

I guess it may be my personal opinion, but I wouldn't buy it on the amount of time it takes to charge alone, at to that no NFC, and the shenanigan with the invite system this year and I was completely turned off of it. I'll have to go back and look at some of the nexus impressions but I don't remember them being that disappointed in it.

Personally I'd prefer the Moto X in the same price range with the only major thing missing being the finger print scanner.

I guess it may be my personal opinion, but I wouldn't buy it on the amount of time it takes to charge alone, at to that no NFC, and the shenanigan with the invite system this year and I was completely turned off of it. I'll have to go back and look at some of the nexus impressions but I don't remember them being that disappointed in it.

I think that charge time is a misquote. I believe it to be a little over 2 hours and not over 3 like stated. There is no way it takes that much longer to charge than the OPO. Still not a great time when most phones use quick charging now, but not a deal killer when the OP2 lasts all day on a single charge.

I think that charge time is a misquote. I believe it to be a little over 2 hours and not over 3 like stated. There is no way it takes that much longer to charge than the OPO. Still not a great time when most phones use quick charging now, but not a deal killer when the OP2 lasts all day on a single charge.

Do you have a link on that? That would vastly changey openion on it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why two big phones? Get the new nexus 5-2 instead.
I'll sell the Nexus 6.

This is the man that talks shit about One Plus quality.
One Plus has no quality. Be real. The Nexus 6 isn't an amazing phone but I would never use One Plus device. They're a scummy company. Their definition of customer service is telling their customers their jacked up screens are perfectly fine. Also, buy a One Minus Two that is significantly downgraded from your OPO.

That One Plus 2 thirst

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/02/oneplus_fanbois_flock_to_paw/?page=1

opo_fanbois_queue_front.jpg

opo_fanbois_1.jpg

NotBacon

It's such a turd of a phone, unless M fixes the horrible performance.

Sounds like you got a dud. I've never heard this opinion echoed (except maybe before the update that enabled all the cores a while back).

On a related note: Nexus 6 is still a beast and I could easily use it for another year or two................ buuuuuuuuuuut new Nexus.

Must. Resist.

Furyous

Am the only person buying a OP2 to flip it later? If I buy for $400 I should be able to flip for at least 750 maybe 800. Cop another OP2 with my spare invites and buy the OP2.5 (5 inch 1080p, microsd, basically everything the OP2 is missing) on Christmas.

If review units are out then I should get an invite inside of three weeks. *knocks on wood*

Bboy AJ

This is a familiar scene for One Plus owners.

Am the only person buying a OP2 to flip it later? If I buy for $400 I should be able to flip for at least 750 maybe 800. Cop another OP2 with my spare invites and buy the OP2.5 (5 inch 1080p, microsd, basically everything the OP2 is missing) on Christmas.

If review units are out then I should get an invite inside of three weeks. *knocks on wood*
LOL at people paying a premium for a compromised device. Once you're willing to pay $750, you can get an iphone. Also, smh at your plan. Typical One Plus community.

vivftp

The Xperia M5 and C5 Ultra have been announced:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_announces_the_xperia_c5_ultra_and_the_xperia_m5-news-13359.php

M5:
gsmarena_002.jpg

"The M5 also has a 5-inch 1920x1080 resolution IPS panel, MediaTek Helio X10 processor, 3GB RAM, 16GB internal memory with microSD card slot, 21.5 megapixel camera on the back, 13 megapixel camera on the front, LTE, 2600mAh battery with two-day battery life, and Android 5.0 Lollipop."

C5 Ultra:
gsmarena_001.jpg

"The C5 Ultra has a 6-inch, 1920x1080 resolution IPS display with really thin bezels on the side, 1.7GHz octa-core MediaTek MT6752 chipset, 2GB of RAM, 16GB internal memory, microSD card slot, LTE, 2930mAh battery with a promised battery life of up to two days, and Android 5.0 Lollipop."

I do like that they're upping the specs for these mid range phones, which can only mean the flagships that'll hopefully be announced next month will take things even further.

I must admit I like that green colour of the C5 Ultra... hope the flagships come in those options.

Saiyan-Rox

The N6 has bad batter life?

Battery life talk is such a pain everyone will have different battery times depending on the usage of their phones.

I had 70% on mine at 10pm last night from a charge that morning for example

tzare

The Xperia M5 and C5 Ultra have been announced:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_announces_the_xperia_c5_ultra_and_the_xperia_m5-news-13359.php

M5:
gsmarena_002.jpg

"The M5 also has a 5-inch 1920x1080 resolution IPS panel, MediaTek Helio X10 processor, 3GB RAM, 16GB internal memory with microSD card slot, 21.5 megapixel camera on the back, 13 megapixel camera on the front, LTE, 2600mAh battery with two-day battery life, and Android 5.0 Lollipop."

C5 Ultra:
gsmarena_001.jpg

"The C5 Ultra has a 6-inch, 1920x1080 resolution IPS display with really thin bezels on the side, 1.7GHz octa-core MediaTek MT6752 chipset, 2GB of RAM, 16GB internal memory, microSD card slot, LTE, 2930mAh battery with a promised battery life of up to two days, and Android 5.0 Lollipop."

I do like that they're upping the specs for these mid range phones, which can only mean the flagships that'll hopefully be announced next month will take things even further.

I must admit I like that green colour of the C5 Ultra... hope the flagships come in those options.

Hard to understand sony's strategy. M4 is only 3 months old.
How much will m5 soc improve over sd615? The cameras seem a massive upgrade but sony haven't been great there even for their flagships so we will see how this one performs. Plus the price. ..

Scalpers were generally looked down upon on Gaf I thought.

this_guy

The appeal of the OnePlus2 is the price, and you're expecting to sell it used for more than real flagship phones?

reKon

Banned
Hard to understand sony's strategy. M4 is only 3 months old.
How much will m5 soc improve over sd615? The cameras seem a massive upgrade but sony haven't been great there even for their flagships so we will see how this one performs. Plus the price. ..

That green kind of looks hot though

Sounds like you got a dud. I've never heard this opinion echoed (except maybe before the update that enabled all the cores a while back).

On a related note: Nexus 6 is still a beast and I could easily use it for another year or two................ buuuuuuuuuuut new Nexus.

Must. Resist.

I doubt it is hardware-related -- beyond the 805 not being quite up to snuff for QHD and Lollipop's animations. As for software, I did a fresh install of the latest update, and it was fine for a bit, then it went to crap again.

Since day 1, the Nexus 6 felt a tad slower than the 5 with random hiccups and stutters, but ultimately, it was perfectly tolerable. Lollipop was to blame for most of that, as the first release was a buggy mess.

However, now, I suspect it is constantly overheating, causing it to run like hot trash with increasing frequency. It's likely an app causing it, but I have no idea how to figure out which one. Any suggestions on a good diagnostic app?

The broken white balance on the camera making everything look like it has a pee filter still blows, though.

I doubt it is hardware-related -- beyond the 805 not being quite up to snuff for QHD and Lollipop's animations. As for software, I did a fresh install of the latest update, and it was fine for a bit, then it went to crap again.

Since day 1, the Nexus 6 felt a tad slower than the 5 with random hiccups and stutters, but ultimately, it was perfectly tolerable. Lollipop was to blame for most of that, as the first release was a buggy mess.

However, now, I suspect it is constantly overheating, causing it to run like hot trash with increasing frequency. It's likely an app causing it, but I have no idea how to figure out which one. Any suggestions on a good diagnostic app?

The broken white balance on the camera making everything look like it has a pee filter still blows, though.

Are you looking at the pictures on the phone or on a computer? Moto has yellow screens though the Moto X pure apparently fixed that.

No way you are getting that much. You might be able to get $500-$550 depending on stock levels by selling on craigslist. More stock availability and the Moto X will hurt resale values.

Top Bottom