• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

hl1IOwu.png

zewone

Did I seriously just see someone trying to scalp OP2s? And for double its price?

OPO had a ridiculous resale value due to the invite system.

People want that phone and are willing to pay a bit extra not to wait.

I don't know about double the price, but he could make an extra $100-$200 pretty easily if he gets the phone early.

Westraid

Hope it's okay to ask here, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to smartphones and technology in general.
Not exaggerating here, I have a 5 year old Samsung Galaxy P1000 tablet that runs on 2.3 and my phone is an 11 year old Sony Ericsson K700i.

Now I've been looking to get a more modern phone that will last me another decade, but I'm just lost.
I hear really good things about the Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation, so I looked for phones with similar specs so I could choose between a few models.

Now, there's the Acer Liquid Jade Z, which is a few months older. The differences with the Moto that I think may matter most are the GPU and the Android version.
The Moto runs on Android 5.1, while the Acer seems to have a better GPU with a Quad-core 1.5 GHz.

Is it important to have the latest Android version? How important is the GPU for normal use? I'm not planning to play heavy duty games or multitask a lot.
What are you guys looking at when buying a new phone?

this_guy

I don't know about double the price, but he could make an extra $100-$200 pretty easily if he gets the phone early.

But this year the Moto X pure is available with high end specs in that price range.

Hope it's okay to ask here, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to smartphones and technology in general.
Not exaggerating here, I have a 5 year old Samsung Galaxy P1000 tablet that runs on 2.3 and my phone is an 11 year old Sony Ericsson K700i.

Now I've been looking to get a more modern phone that will last me another decade, but I'm just lost.
I hear really good things about the Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation, so I looked for phones with similar specs so I could choose between a few models.

Now, there's the Acer Liquid Jade Z, which is a few months older. The differences with the Moto that I think may matter most are the GPU and the Android version.
The Moto runs on Android 5.1, while the Acer seems to have a better GPU with a Quad-core 1.5 GHz.

Is it important to have the latest Android version? How important is the GPU for normal use? I'm not planning to play heavy duty games or multitask a lot.

What country do you live in?

Sid

Moto G 3rd gen is your best bet or if you can get any Samsung or Sony flagship from the past 2 years for cheap from ebay or something.

100-200 I could maybe see, but the guy won't get near $750 for it.

Never heard of the other phone. There's a distinct possibility it'll never get a software update and 5.0 is notoriously bad with memory management. Get the Moto X sense it comes with the more performance friendly version of Android and will more than likely get M.

So I ditched the IP6+ yesterday and got a Nexus 6 (just wanted to go back to Android). I'm liking the phone so far as I have Chroma and Leankernel installed on it. I also calibrated the screen to a cooler setting as the out of box screen was too warm for my liking.

My question is that is there a way to turn down the haptic feedback? Everytime I type on my phone, I feel like it's going to break apart. Also, does anyone have an issue where if they send a text, the app slows down and the animation where the text goes through stutters?

Reckoner

So I ditched the IP6+ yesterday and got a Nexus 6 (just wanted to go back to Android). I'm liking the phone so far as I have Chroma and Leankernel installed on it. I also calibrated the screen to a cooler setting as the out of box screen was too warm for my liking.

My question is that is there a way to turn down the haptic feedback? Everytime I type on my phone, I feel like it's going to break apart. Also, does anyone have an issue where if they send a text, the app slows down and the animation where the text goes through stutters?

You have the option to turn it off completely on the general settings and keyboard settings.

Yeah this would've worked LAST YEAR

op2 has a gimped overheating soc, no quick charge, and uglier than version one. the only thing new is a fingerprint sensor. It's the most incremental upgrade I've ever seen

no one is paying over MSRP for that

Admodieus

The Z5 compact, if it has that fingerprint sensor, a good camera, and a good battery, could be my next device if the Nexus 5 disappoints.

zewone

op2 has a gimped overheating soc, no quick charge, and uglier than version one. the only thing new is a fingerprint sensor. It's the most incremental upgrade I've ever seen

IDK, I like it.

I wish they had chosen a different soc, but only because i'd rather it was more future proof.

I don't think there's enough difference between it and my N6 to bother switching though. We'll see, I'm sure if I get an invite I'll be buying one.

Also ddr4 memory, brighter LCD panel, ois and laser focus for the camera, and more LTE bands.

Is that reading it off the screen? If so, colour me interested if they've managed to get an 820 in there too... And they do an Ultra again.

If you look at the screen of the compact on the left, it looks like it's reading from the power button.

LyhsVj4.png

Which could be a problem on its own. Lets say you press the button accidentally.

SxP

I was hoping Sony would change their design with their upcoming phones, but it seems it's the same thing, again. But, this time with a fingerprint sensor on the side.

That ViziLeaks guy also claims the LG Nexus does not have dual cameras. The second circle on the cases is for, as originally suspected, a "Nexus secure halo" fingerprint sensor. The square hole is for the flash and laser focus.

That ViziLeaks guy also claims the LG Nexus does not have dual cameras. The second circle on the cases is for, as originally suspected, a "Nexus secure halo" fingerprint sensor. The square hole is for the flash and laser focus.

I never bought into the dual camera theory, so it's great to hear that someone is refuting that.

I also take everything Evan Blass says with a grain of salt, ever since he doubled down on the sexy HTC One M9 render that never happened. Not that he's responsible for the dual camera rumor, but I just wanted to throw that out here again.

e: Oh, what could've been.

Hopefully next year!

What do you mean? Is it going to scan your leg for fingerprints?

No. You put your thumb on it to scan the fingerprint (like when you want to pay) and push the button too hard and turn the screen off instead. Not that it would happen, as I don't know how much force the button requires, but that would definitely be one of my concerns. A baseless concern? Maybe. But it fits into the thread!

I like the side implementation better than the back implementation if done right.

Anyway those phones look as expected. I guess the bigger changes won't come until next years Z lineup. Hopefully with new skin in tow.

I like the side implementation better than the back implementation if done right.

Anyway those phones look as expected. I guess the bigger changes won't come until next years Z lineup. Hopefully with new skin in tow.

If they come with the new skin and wireless charging (sorry, but it is important to me), then I'd really consider one.

The question about their future and support still stands, though.

Mindwipe

I am very much interested in that ZwhateverC. Fingerprint implementation looks really good.

Hope they don't have wireless charging and the battery is still good.

I am very much interested in that ZwhateverC. Fingerprint implementation looks really good.

Hope they don't have wireless charging and the battery is still good.

Why would you hope that it doesn't have that specific feature? It's not like it adds much weight or the savings of not having it are getting passed down to the customer.

Mindwipe

Why would you hope that it doesn't have that specific feature? It's not like it adds much weight or the savings of not having it are getting passed down to the customer.

Induction coils take up space that could be used for more battery.

It's not a zero sum game.

Note the Z3V is basically the Z3 with induction charging and is just worse for it.

Induction coils take up space that could be used for more battery.

It's not a zero sum game.

Note the Z3V is basically the Z3 with induction charging and is just worse for it.

The Z3V is 1.6 mm thicker, a bit taller and its battery has 100 mAh more than the Z3 (3200 mAh vs 3100 mAh).

How is it worse because of wireless charging?

vivftp

Yeah. I'm more concerned that the "compact" version is bigger than an Iphone 6. smh

If I had to guess that "compact" is almost 5"

That's an iPhone 5S in the picture, so the new Compact is actually smaller than an iPhone 6. I had to do a few comparisons to verify it, but it's definitely an iPhone 5S

VoxPop

Going for the nexus I guess?

It's a toss up between the Note 5 / Nexus 5-2 / iPhone 6S. Whichever delivers what I want most with the least compromises. I was looking forward to the new Xperia Z5/Z5C but that side fingerprint scanner is a total turnoff.

vivftp

Another odd thing I'm trying to figure out about the Z5/Z5c pics... arethere bumpers around the phones? I know manufacturers usually put their demo units in special cases and whatnot to mask their design, but I'm not 100% certain here. For example if you zoom into the power button on the side of the Z5, you can see it's actually indented into the phone rather than being flush or sticking out like the current power button design. I'm figuring that either this is a way to help prevent you from accidently hitting the larger power button too often, or there's a bumper around the outer perimeter

CLf_YSvs_WUAAKyh_S1.png

Furyous

Scalpers were generally looked down upon on Gaf I thought.

Did I seriously just see someone trying to scalp OP2s? And for double its price?

I'll drown any sorrow in money from flipped product. It's the internet so judge away while I enjoy the proceeds of this possible transaction.

The appeal of the OnePlus2 is the price, and you're expecting to sell it used for more than real flagship phones?

It is a flagship device minus NFC, microsd, and quality speakers. But it has the brightest display on the market, allegedly and a fingerprint scanner. We'll see what happens. For all we know reviews could hurt this device.

Top Bottom